PDA

View Full Version : Fire this Guy NOW!

Coach007
03-26-2019, 02:44 PM
I will be writing my University President to say my support is pulled until this guy is gone. This is not the atmosphere our University needs at all!

?Hey the White Male Student Caucus holding a gathering. Hoods and burning crosses optional.?

Ryan Phillips (@JournoRyan) March 20, 2019

Phillips teaches at MSU and is a news paper editor. We have responded, but that type of intolerance needs to pushed out:

In a statement to The Daily Wire, MSU?s Chief Communications Director Sidney Salter called Phillips? tweets ?highly inappropriate, inflammatory, and patently unfair and intolerant.?

?Clearly, the students in the Young Americans for Freedom group were engaged in lawful activities that were within university guidelines. As a newspaper editor and as a part-time instructor in MSU?s Department of Communication, Mr. Phillips should be particularly sensitive to free speech and assembly rights ? his own and those of others,? Salter said. ?On any given day, students and faculty with widely divergent social and political views intersect on our campus and it is incumbent on all parties to maintain decorum and mutual respect in the conduct of those activities. Mississippi State University stands behind our free speech and assembly policies.?

#notatMYuniversity

https://www.dailywire.com/news/45118/journalism-ethics-instructor-compares-conservative-kassy-dillon?fbclid=IwAR3PVAQd_po3s1jqkF2vlMQMZ2-clRXDxL69-he9sm2oAf-Jq6ibCmXgE1E

DownwardDawg
03-26-2019, 02:57 PM
He should be fired immediately.

Coach007
03-26-2019, 03:06 PM
I know this isn't sports related, but it's university related and will reach everywhere.

This guy needs to go.

Lord McBuckethead
03-26-2019, 03:16 PM
Well it looked like Salter had the correct approach. Freedom of speech works both ways and Phillips should know this. MSU handled this appropriately, in my opinion.

Dawgtini
03-26-2019, 03:39 PM
Yep. No need to fire him. Public flogging and then let it go.

dawgs
03-26-2019, 03:49 PM
Isn't this just frat row?

dawgs
03-26-2019, 03:56 PM
Well it looked like Salter had the correct approach. Freedom of speech works both ways and Phillips should know this. MSU handled this appropriately, in my opinion.

Just to be clear here, no one has violated the first amendment/freedom of speech and whoever Ryan Phillips is didn't even try to stop the "white male student caucus", he just mocked them. Deservedly so.

Irony is the OP calling to fire this guy for exercising his freedom of speech in response to someone else's freedom of speech because of which subject matter he/she agrees with.

BrunswickDawg
03-26-2019, 03:58 PM

Pretty sure this guy is now protected by a free speech on campus executive order. Ain't that a shame.

confucius say
03-26-2019, 04:12 PM
Just to be clear here, no one has violated the first amendment/freedom of speech and whoever Ryan Phillips is didn't even try to stop the "white male student caucus", he just mocked them. Deservedly so.

Irony is the OP calling to fire this guy for exercising his freedom of speech in response to someone else's freedom of speech because of which subject matter he/she agrees with.

Why do you say "deservedly so?" What is the white male student caucus and why does it deserve to be mocked? Serious question.

MrKotter
03-26-2019, 04:14 PM

?Hoods and burning crosses optional? is ok for a member of MSU?s faculty to be tweeting? You?re 17ing stupid if you believe that is acceptable.

Dolphus Raymond
03-26-2019, 04:17 PM
Fire him ASAP. Like right now. It has been said that the First Amendment does not protect one from consequences Fire him.

Bubb Rubb
03-26-2019, 04:31 PM
He shouldn't have tweeted that and there should be consequences for it.

At the same time, this group probably shouldn't have hung a "build the wall" banner next to the assembled latino student union, which was congregated nearby.

Stupidity begats stupidity.

FriarsPoint
03-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Unfortunately, I think that’s par for the course for any college campus.

RocketDawg
03-26-2019, 04:53 PM

At the same time, this group probably shouldn't have hung a "build the wall" banner next to the assembled latino student union, which was congregated nearby.

That's true. Presumably the Latino students are in the country legally and enrolled in the university. Otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Doggie_Style
03-26-2019, 05:10 PM
He should be fired immediately.

He should be.....now news outlets are picking it up...

https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/26/journalism-ethics-conservative-students-kkk/

MarcoRubio
03-26-2019, 05:24 PM

There is no such thing as the ?White Male Caucus?. The ignorant University paid professor used that as a derogatory lable for the MSU chapter of the Young America?s Foundation.

He?s a professor at MSU and teaches Journalism Ethics of all things. This is about fairness. Everyone should be able to voice thier opinions without fear of retribution from University professors.

And I assume your equally ignorant ?Deservedly so? comment comes from the fact that you assume all of the members are white males? So white males deserve to be mocked carte blanche without reason or cause? This is the kind of narrow minded ignorant bile that leads to further divisiveness. Ever heard of stereotyping? Don?t judge a book by its cover? Profiling?

How about we talk to each other about issues without trying to shut the other side down and calling names? Is that too much to ask on a University campus that?s supposed to be the epicenter of free thought, speech, and debate?

A PAID UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR doesn?t have the right to belittle, malign, and defame University students at his/her pleasure. He is a defacto agent of the University and should behave as such. When an adult professor is PUBLICLY defaming students, they should be fired immediately. This wasn?t done during a debate in a classroom in relative privacy. These students could have thier reputations tarnished to the point that it could affect future employment. Totally unacceptable. If the University doesn?t take action, they could be deemed complicit in any legal action for libel these students may file.

Even if he weren?t a University professor, he should afford these students the common human descency of not spewing false information about who they are and what they represent.

RocketDawg
03-26-2019, 06:06 PM
There is no such thing as the ?White Male Caucus?. The ignorant University paid professor used that as a derogatory lable for the MSU chapter of the Young America?s Foundation.

He?s a professor at MSU and teaches Journalism Ethics of all things. This is about fairness. Everyone should be able to voice thier opinions without fear of retribution from University professors.

And I assume your equally ignorant ?Deservedly so? comment comes from the fact that you assume all of the members are white males? So white males deserve to be mocked carte blanche without reason or cause? This is the kind of narrow minded ignorant bile that leads to further divisiveness. Ever heard of stereotyping? Don?t judge a book by its cover? Profiling?

How about we talk to each other about issues without trying to shut the other side down and calling names? Is that too much to ask on a University campus that?s supposed to be the epicenter of free thought, speech, and debate?

A PAID UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR doesn?t have the right to belittle, malign, and defame University students at his/her pleasure. He is a defacto agent of the University and should behave as such. When an adult professor is PUBLICLY defaming students, they should be fired immediately. This wasn?t done during a debate in a classroom in relative privacy. These students could have thier reputations tarnished to the point that it could affect future employment. Totally unacceptable. If the University doesn?t take action, they could be deemed complicit in any legal action for libel these students may file.

Even if he weren?t a University professor, he should afford these students the common human descency of not spewing false information about who they are and what they represent.

I don't know about firing him, but he seems to equate conservatism with racism.

deadheaddawg
03-26-2019, 06:14 PM
If this group put up a "build the wall" sign next to a Latino building everyone of those students should be expelled. Just mocking them isn't enough. We don't need people like that at my university

BeardoMSU
03-26-2019, 06:15 PM
If this group put up a "build the wall" sign next to a Latino building everyone of those students should be expelled. Just mocking them isn't enough. We don't need people like that at my university

It was apparently during a pre-planned Latino Group fundraiser, fwiw.

Liverpooldawg
03-26-2019, 06:18 PM
This is on the wrong board.

deadheaddawg
03-26-2019, 06:21 PM
It was apparently during a pre-planned Latino Group fundraiser, fwiw.

Really? Screw them. I hope the school finds away to punish them severely. Seriously. Kick them out

And if that is true the professor's comment about hoods and crosses was NOT out of line.

I'm going to write the University and ask that they give him a nice raise

HereComesTheSpiral
03-26-2019, 06:25 PM
I thought a baseball game was going terribly wrong, carry on.

BeardoMSU
03-26-2019, 06:32 PM
Really? Screw them. I hope the school finds away to punish them severely. Seriously. Kick them out

And if that is true the professor's comment about hoods and crosses was NOT out of line.

I'm going to write the University and ask that they give him a nice raise

I disagree....as an instructor/adjunct/professor/whatever, in a position of authority, there would've been more professional and appropriate ways for him to call them out, or even tamer ways to ridicule them. What he did was likely the exact response they wanted; which is why they ran off to Kassy Dillon to feign victim hood.

Not only that, I don't think it's a really smart career move as an adjunct or instructor (i.e., non-tenured employ) to bring political attention to oneself, one way or the other, in a right-to-work state, such as MS. But that's just me...

msbulldog
03-26-2019, 06:44 PM
I disagree....as an instructor/adjunct/professor/whatever, in a position of authority, there would've been more professional and appropriate ways for him to call them out, or even tamer ways to ridicule them. What he did was likely the exact response they wanted; which is why they ran off to Kassy Dillon to feign victim hood.

Not only that, I don't think it's a really smart career move as an adjunct or instructor (i.e., non-tenured employ) to bring political attention to oneself, one way or the other, in a right-to-work state, such as MS. But that's just me...

Yep, You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BeardoMSU again

bluelightstar
03-26-2019, 06:45 PM
Firing him surely would seem to invite a First Amendment retaliation section 1983 suit.

dawgs
03-26-2019, 06:50 PM

Well then maybe for those of us who don't live, eat, and breathe every going on at MSU, we aren't aware that this was a nickname he gave another group. Some explanation goes a long way.

dawgs
03-26-2019, 06:51 PM

This is also important information for anyone seeking to "pick a side" here. Not that either side should be absolved of their behavior, but it definitely helps people understand context of the entire situation.

Gutter Cobreh
03-26-2019, 06:55 PM
This is on the wrong board.

Coach007 ran out of space on the Poli board to create a new thread. He's already started 99% of the threads on the first page of that board, so he needed room to expand his message.

BeardoMSU
03-26-2019, 06:57 PM
Coach007 ran out of space on the Poli board to create a new thread. He's already started 99% of the threads on the first page of that board, so he needed room to expand his message.

Everyone needs a hobby **

deadheaddawg
03-26-2019, 06:57 PM

That's an adorable melt snowflake. Those kids are racist jerks. Why are you going to such great lengths to defend these POC scumbags? Did the mean old professor hurt you that bad? Do we need a safe place for your cacus to be racist assholes?

msstate7
03-26-2019, 07:04 PM
That's true. Presumably the Latino students are in the country legally and enrolled in the university. Otherwise they wouldn't be there.

No one acknowledges this post. Why does everyone assume Latino students are for illegal immigration?

RocketDawg
03-26-2019, 07:14 PM
No one acknowledges this post. Why does everyone assume Latino students are for illegal immigration?

I have to assume that they immigrated legally. Otherwise, I would think that MSU would not have accepted them. But it's certainly a question to be asked, since legal or illegal immigration from Mexico and other Latin countries is one of the primary news items nowadays.

dalmuti
03-26-2019, 07:24 PM
my man ryan does have a point

FriarsPoint
03-26-2019, 07:30 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

bluelightstar
03-26-2019, 07:42 PM

Are people assuming Latino students favor illegal immigration or are people assuming that there's something invidious about specifically putting up a "Build the Wall" banner at a Latino event (if that's true)?

MarcoRubio
03-26-2019, 07:51 PM
That's an adorable melt snowflake. Those kids are racist jerks. Why are you going to such great lengths to defend these POC scumbags? Did the mean old professor hurt you that bad? Do we need a safe place for your cacus to be racist assholes?

I love how everyone throws racism around so freely these days. Today?s definition of racism: anybody I disagree with or doesn?t subscribe to my narrow world view.

They?re racist because they?re white? Because they?re conservative? Because they want to secure our southern border?

It?s a tired refrain that?s been played ad nauseam by the PC police in this country for years. It?s shameful as it minimizes the true racism that people of color have had to endure for here for a few centuries.

No real substance needed just throw that out there and case closed, you won!

And yes, you got my number. The mean old professor did hurt my feelings, disparaging my cacus (whatever that is) and offending my POC (again, whatever that is) scum bag racist buddies.

MagicDawg
03-26-2019, 07:53 PM
A question worth considering: should professors be held to the same standards of judgement and discernment as students, or higher, or lower?

deadheaddawg
03-26-2019, 08:05 PM
I love how everyone throws racism around so freely these days. Today?s definition of racism: anybody I disagree with or doesn?t subscribe to my narrow world view.

They?re racist because they?re white? Because they?re conservative? Because they want to secure our southern border?

It?s a tired refrain that?s been played ad nauseam by the PC police in this country for years. It?s shameful as it minimizes the true racism that people of color have had to endure for here for a few centuries.

No real substance needed just throw that out there and case closed, you won!

And yes, you got my number. The mean old professor did hurt my feelings, disparaging my cacus (whatever that is) and offending my POC (again, whatever that is) scum bag racist buddies.

Are you really too stupid to know? Because they targeted a group, because of their race, with their sign.

See you are whining about people throwing that word around, but you are doing while defending a group that actually did something racist.

Don't put a sign up to antagonize a particular race if you don't want to be called racist. Because it's, well racist

Coach007
03-26-2019, 08:09 PM

Really? It wasnt just men. It wasnt just white people. And this is why the protection of free speech has to be protected on all campuses. It's not the job of a person teaching to do what he did.

Ah.... he has no right to falsify what was actually happen to incite people.

Coach007
03-26-2019, 08:13 PM

Latinos support the wall too. But that's not the point.

Coach007
03-26-2019, 08:20 PM

Again... they are not racist. They were not there illegally. The university is a place to learn, debate for students.

BeardoMSU
03-26-2019, 08:21 PM
A question worth considering: should professors be held to the same standards of judgement and discernment as students, or higher, or lower?

If every person lost their job for saying something dumb on twitter, Mike Pence would be POTUS.

ckDOG
03-26-2019, 08:33 PM
Will we be the first test on the recent Trump EO?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/21/us/politics/trump-free-speech-executive-order.html

And knowing this is the new reality, what do you do as a University? Fire the instructor and potentially encroach on his first amendment rights and subject yourself to lawsuit? Don't fire him and have Trump pull your research funds?

What a time to be alive...

Coach007
03-26-2019, 08:39 PM
If every person lost their job for saying something dumb on twitter, Mike Pence would be POTUS.

LOL!! Maybe... :cool:

MarcoRubio
03-26-2019, 08:51 PM
Are you really too stupid to know? Because they targeted a group, because of their race, with their sign.

See you are whining about people throwing that word around, but you are doing while defending a group that actually did something racist.

Don't put a sign up to antagonize a particular race if you don't want to be called racist. Because it's, well racist

I?m too stupid to know...and I?m late for a klan rally so have to sign off...but you keep marching on little social justice warrior!

Coach007
03-26-2019, 08:56 PM
Will we be the first test on the recent Trump EO?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/21/us/politics/trump-free-speech-executive-order.html

And knowing this is the new reality, what do you do as a University? Fire the instructor and potentially encroach on his first amendment rights and subject yourself to lawsuit? Don't fire him and have Trump pull your research funds?

What a time to be alive...

It's not that way. It's not either or.

- He has a right to his opinion. We ALL agree with that. What he doesn't have a right to is falsify what the YAF are about and what they were doing in an attempt to stop their rights. He intentionally set out to harm those students and was just flat out wrong in what he stated. They were not "white men" and btw.. that's racist. In fact, one young woman responded to him.

He could have taken another approach and stated that he disagreed with their stance on the wall and debated. That's not what he did. He called them "White men (false) and racists (false) to incite. That has to stop on our college campuses. We should lead here!

- The university has already stated that the YAF did nothing wrong. They also stated the Professor was “highly inappropriate, inflammatory and patently unfair and intolerant.” What the professor did makes the University libel to a degree. Free Speech does not give you the right to lie (slander) or incite violence or riots. That's why we have laws against those things.

And this guy is teaching journalism ethics.... and THAT is the biggest reason he should be fired. Not just simply he voiced an opinion. He shouldn't be allowed to teach that class. It's equal to a murderer teaching human rights.

Cooterpoot
03-26-2019, 09:01 PM
Stop being a ***** and stop allowing yourself to be offended by others words. It?s damn silly.

DownwardDawg
03-26-2019, 09:52 PM
Latinos support the wall too. But that's not the point.

I work with several Latinos. Everyone of them support the wall and they all support President Trump. Never believe the media, regardless of which side they take.

DownwardDawg
03-26-2019, 09:54 PM
Our baseball team is kicking but tonight!!!

DancingRabbit
03-26-2019, 10:01 PM

I thought it was a Ben Howland thread.

deadheaddawg
03-26-2019, 10:09 PM

Fantastic point.

Shut the thread down guys. You will not see a better post. Hits the nail on the head.

The hypocrisy of some of these people wanting someone fired for tweeting inappropriately is lol

TaleofTwoDogs
03-26-2019, 10:22 PM
Don't you know that when 4 or more white males get together they're classified as a hate group by modern media. **

QuadrupleOption
03-26-2019, 10:28 PM

You are making a lot of assumptions about what happened in this post. It might be beneficial to ASK the group why they put the sign up when and where they did, and if they knew about the Latino student's rally.

If they were trolling then yeah it was a dick move. Doesn't mean they want to put on white sheets and kill brown people.

BoomBoom
03-26-2019, 10:30 PM
Don't you know that when 4 or more white males get together they're classified as a hate group by modern media. **

I guess you missed that they called for "the wall" to a latino group.

The problem with those who call for "the wall" is that there's no one that actually thinks our border security is improved by a wall. It's just a symbol. A symbol that says your race does not belong here, your race is inferior to us, your race will be driven out by ours back to where you belong. It's the modern day burning cross.

mstatefan91
03-26-2019, 10:42 PM
I am extremely disappointed in Ryan. I've known his political leanings for a long time but he's always managed to communicate them in a respectful caring way.

mstatefan91
03-26-2019, 10:44 PM
I guess you missed that they called for "the wall" to a latino group.

The problem with those who call for "the wall" is that there's no one that actually thinks our border security is improved by a wall. It's just a symbol. A symbol that says your race does not belong here, your race is inferior to us, your race will be driven out by ours back to where you belong. It's the modern day burning cross.

This is the typical overreaction by those that don't want to consider the other side of the argument. Most on the right don't view the wall as a symbol of superiority but as a chance to curb illegal immigration and drug trafficking. To many, it represents someone in office actually caring about the problems that the southern border presents the country even if it isn't the perfect solution.. it's action

But carry on believing that it is solely a symbol of hate.. that's your own projection

ckDOG
03-26-2019, 10:46 PM
To be clear, I think it was unprofessional. Although your comments about slander and intent to harm are a bit dramatic (what's the actual harm here?), higher education employees should take the high road and not be a satirical ass on the internet.

There would be no question that he could be fired as a private employee, however, Government employees do have 1st amendment rights speaking as a private citizen on public matters - although you can still get canned in certain circumstances. This one could get hairy. My point on this one is you better have your ducks in a row if you decide to can him.

BoomBoom
03-26-2019, 10:51 PM
This is the typical overreaction by those that don't want to consider the other side of the argument. Most on the right don't view the wall as a symbol of superiority but as a chance to curb illegal immigration and drug trafficking. To many, it represents someone in office actually caring about the problems that the southern border presents the country even if it isn't the perfect solution.. it's action

But carry on believing that it is solely a symbol of hate.. that's your own projection

I do not think anyone thinks a wall will curb drug trafficking or anything else. If it would stem the flow of drugs in the slightest we would have built 10 walls already. But you're right, it does represent something.

mstatefan91
03-26-2019, 10:55 PM
I do not think anyone thinks a wall will curb drug trafficking or anything else. If it would stem the flow of drugs in the slightest we would have built 10 walls already. But you're right, it does represent something.

You're projecting yet again.. YOU think that it represents that and so YOU think that everyone who supports it is that. Damn man. At least try to empathize with the other side and see where they are coming from. But you will likely make another broad statement reaffirming your inability to do so.

ScoobaDawg
03-26-2019, 11:02 PM
Alright that's enough. Wait and see what MSU does.
If you want to discuss it further. 2 clicks and start a new topic on the Political board