PDA

View Full Version : Rumblings from the athletic office...

jwells
03-26-2019, 01:43 PM
I've heard some chatter that some basketball-related coaching news may take place in the coming days.

msu15
03-26-2019, 01:44 PM
Please be men's basketball

BeardoMSU
03-26-2019, 01:49 PM
Well this can't be good...

MetEdDawg
03-26-2019, 01:49 PM
If it is basketball then you could potentially see why. Nick W situation (doesn't matter if Howland knew or not, but it speaks to culture), you have a transfer, you have Peters gone and his continuous inability to stay off social media.

You could convince me there are some cultural issues. Now I have zero clue what the OP is referring to. But if I had to guess this is where I would place my money.

I think we need a younger HC, but honestly I don't know who that would be.

Would be nice for the OP to at least give a sport...

jwells
03-26-2019, 01:50 PM
Edited to add that it is basketball related.

MadDawg
03-26-2019, 01:51 PM
I've heard some chatter that some basketball-related coaching news may take place in the coming days.

Are they ready to just nuke the program altogether?

BeardoMSU
03-26-2019, 01:53 PM
Edited to add that it is basketball related.

Wunderbar....especially considering the other schools doing the same. Our timing is impeccable.

ZedFedder
With basketball its not just the on court results. Obviously being a 5 seed and making the tourney was a big step for us. But look at the fan base. I don't know one single State fan who is excited about basketball, and we were a 5 seed. What happens next year when we probably don't make the tourney if Howland is here? We need new blood. This was suppose to be the height of our program. A lot of juniors and seniors, two really good freshman. But in and out we are.

fishwater99
By Bye Coach Ben....

afranzo
Vic is going to coach both the women's and men's team! Heard it here first!

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9DPFq3HTm3pCcNri/giphy.gif

ShotgunDawg
03-26-2019, 01:56 PM
Who would we hire?

Can Kermit recruit well enough?

Dawg2003
03-26-2019, 01:56 PM
Maybe Howland turned in his resignation and wants to move back to CA and spend time with his grandkids. Does he really want to try to get these kids in line at age 60? I think he's tired of all of it. Maybe he just hates Starkville.

BeardoMSU
03-26-2019, 01:58 PM
Who would we hire?

Can Kermit recruit well enough?

Would be the most little brother thing ever....especially when it got out that he told us to kiss his ass.

ZedFedder
03-26-2019, 02:00 PM
Maybe Howland turned in his resignation and wants to move back to CA and spend time with his grandkids. Does he really want to try to get these kids in line at age 60? I think he's tired of all of it. Maybe he just hates Starkville.

Honestly this makes a lot of sense. We all talked about his lack of fire and passion, or so it seemed. I know Howland is a good coach because you don't go to 3 Final Fours in a row if you aren't. Maybe he is at a point to where he can't apply it anymore.

ZedFedder
03-26-2019, 02:01 PM
What will be funny is when this wasn't even true and he is here next year.

jwells
From what I have gathered, Ben Howland is contemplating retirement. Nothing has been forced from the athletic department standpoint. He is making this decision on his own. Also, nothing has been decided for sure and he may come back for one more season.

Jack Lambert
Someone tell me again why Stands is gone.

BeardoMSU
03-26-2019, 02:06 PM
From what I have gathered, Ben Howland is contemplating retirement. Nothing has been forced from the athletic department standpoint. He is making this decision on his own. Also, nothing has been decided for sure and he may come back for one more season.

Hmm....that's better news, I suppose. I'd hate to think we'd fire/let go a coach who just took us to the dance for the first time in a decade; team chemistry and fan support, notwithstanding, that would be horrible look nationally.

All that being said, if his heart isn't in it, its definitely time to hang it up.

mstatefan91
03-26-2019, 02:07 PM

Because he lost control of the program and let the players run the show..

Stans has been gone and will stay gone.. get over it people.. geez

Jack Lambert
03-26-2019, 02:09 PM
Because he lost control of the program and let the players run the show..

Stans has been gone and will stay gone.. get over it people.. geez

Are we back to what was going on when Stands was here?

Let see. Highly recruited players doing what they want. Losing in the first round.

chef dixon
03-26-2019, 02:12 PM
Will be interesting to see how recruiting goes this cycle

StarkVegasSteve
03-26-2019, 02:14 PM
Back the dump truck up to Eric Musselman. Just give them whatever the hell he wants. Musselman Coliseum has a nice ring to it.

BrunswickDawg
03-26-2019, 02:21 PM
Would be the most little brother thing ever....especially when it got out that he told us to kiss his ass.

Speaking of little brother moves....
Bryce Drew is available***

mstatefan91
03-26-2019, 02:26 PM

Let see. Highly recruited players doing what they want. Losing in the first round.

If what you're saying is true, your solution is to rehash an argument that has been had 50,000 times? Ok cool

Dawg2003
03-26-2019, 02:27 PM
Honestly this makes a lot of sense. We all talked about his lack of fire and passion, or so it seemed. I know Howland is a good coach because you don't go to 3 Final Fours in a row if you aren't. Maybe he is at a point to where he can't apply it anymore.

He doesn't ever look like he enjoys it. He's made enough money that he's set for life, and both of his kids live in CA. Why would be want to stay in MS and try to get these these ego driven kids to play together? If I were him, I'd go retire in Malibu and spend time with my grandkids. Maybe get into some announcing or volunteer somewhere like Ron Polk.

BeardoMSU
03-26-2019, 02:29 PM
Speaking of little brother moves....
Bryce Drew is available***

Lol, maybe he can play point guard for us, too....or at least when we play OM.

BrunswickDawg
03-26-2019, 02:36 PM
I'm kind of meh about Howland. If we didn't have another basketball coach on campus who is elite, I'd probably feel better about him. But, you look at Vic and look at Ben it's just obvious who is in it to win it and who isn't.
If Howland retires, I think he will have done his job - which was get us back to a level of respectability instead of the clown show we had from the day Renardo Sidney's name was first mentioned until Rick Ray was fired.

Johnson85
03-26-2019, 02:37 PM
With basketball its not just the on court results. Obviously being a 5 seed and making the tourney was a big step for us. But look at the fan base. I don't know one single State fan who is excited about basketball, and we were a 5 seed. What happens next year when we probably don't make the tourney if Howland is here? We need new blood. This was suppose to be the height of our program. A lot of juniors and seniors, two really good freshman. But in and out we are.

There is zero chance Howland is being forced out. We didn't have a great team this year, and something was missing mentally and/or chemistry wise, but we had a solid if disappointing end result and the team wasn't full of players you hate. Weatherspoon finished up a great four year run although playing on mostly bad teams. Nick played hard defense until his suspension. Woodard was fun to watch. Even though Holman and to a lesser extent Peters went into a funk, to me they weren't players I disliked.

And it's not like we're about to drop off a cliff. Woodard and Perry are a good nucleus. Ado and Carter are good pieces. If Nick comes back, that's a strong starting five.

Jack Lambert
03-26-2019, 02:37 PM
If what you're saying is true, your solution is to rehash an argument that has been had 50,000 times? Ok cool

I don't know what is true. If so it's ridiculous that it is happening again with Miss State. Where else does this happen? To be clear I don't give a shit about Stans.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2019, 02:41 PM
I'll just say I'll be very surprised if Howland isn't the coach next year. I guess he could have a change of heart but I expect him here next year.

confucius say
03-26-2019, 02:45 PM
I'll just say I'll be very surprised if Howland isn't the coach next year. I guess he could have a change of heart but I expect him here next year.

And nick w?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2019, 02:48 PM
And nick w?

I still haven't heard anything to make me think he won't be back next season.

StarkVegasSteve
03-26-2019, 03:00 PM
If this happens, and I for one don't think it will judging from the talks I had with folks last week, I think these would need to be the candidates:

1. Eric Musselman- Has NBA pedigree, and has built Nevada into a powerhouse. Plays an attacking brand of basketball. This should be your number 1 target.
2. Dan D'Antoni- Turned Marshall around and is the brother of Mike D'Antoni. We'd be shooting a lot more 3's.
3. Matt McMahon- Been at Murray St. for 4 years. Seems to be able to recruit pretty well(see Ja Morant). Murray St. has been a breeding ground of good coaches in the past.
4. Kelvin Sampson- Revitalized Houston. Definitely seems to want out. His NCAA baggage is a definite detractor and depending on what Nick's issues are might be somebody we want to steer clear of.
5. Mike Miller- This would be the wild card. He's the assistant at Memphis right now but he knows how to recruit and he'd bring a fun style of basketball with him. Also be wildly entertaining to see him and Penny go up against one another in recruiting. Never being a head coach would definitely be a big question mark though.
6. Russell Turner- Been at UC Irvine for 9 seasons and has really built that program into a contender. Players absolutely love him and if you want a guy just like Kermit Davis then this is the guy.
7. Kermit Davis- people would be mad if I didn't add him. I'm 99.9% sure he'd tell us to shove it, but weirder things have happened.
8. Fred Hoiberg- Was at Iowa St before taking the Bulls job and flaming out. Still very well liked in NBA circles and a lot of people seem to beleive the T'Wolves will hire him, but might be worth it to kick the tires on him.
9. Johnny Dawkins- What he's done at UCF has been incredible. He's really revitalized his career after he flamed out at Stanford. And it obviously never hurts to be picking of the Mike Krzyzewski coaching tree.
10. Steve Jans- Has lit it up at New Mexico St the last two years and I loved the way that team played against Auburn.

chef dixon
03-26-2019, 03:01 PM
And nick w?

No inside info but it almost seems obvious to me this aint ending well

jwells
03-26-2019, 03:04 PM
And nick w?

Nick is done.

jwells
03-26-2019, 03:07 PM
If this happens, and I for one don't think it will judging from the talks I had with folks last week, I think these would need to be the candidates:

1. Eric Musselman- Has NBA pedigree, and has built Nevada into a powerhouse. Plays an attacking brand of basketball. This should be your number 1 target.
2. Dan D'Antoni- Turned Marshall around and is the brother of Mike D'Antoni. We'd be shooting a lot more 3's.
3. Matt McMahon- Been at Murray St. for 4 years. Seems to be able to recruit pretty well(see Ja Morant). Murray St. has been a breeding ground of good coaches in the past.
4. Kelvin Sampson- Revitalized Houston. Definitely seems to want out. His NCAA baggage is a definite detractor and depending on what Nick's issues are might be somebody we want to steer clear of.
5. Mike Miller- This would be the wild card. He's the assistant at Memphis right now but he knows how to recruit and he'd bring a fun style of basketball with him. Also be wildly entertaining to see him and Penny go up against one another in recruiting. Never being a head coach would definitely be a big question mark though.
6. Russell Turner- Been at UC Irvine for 9 seasons and has really built that program into a contender. Players absolutely love him and if you want a guy just like Kermit Davis then this is the guy.
7. Kermit Davis- people would be mad if I didn't add him. I'm 99.9% sure he'd tell us to shove it, but weirder things have happened.
8. Fred Hoiberg- Was at Iowa St before taking the Bulls job and flaming out. Still very well liked in NBA circles and a lot of people seem to beleive the T'Wolves will hire him, but might be worth it to kick the tires on him.
9. Johnny Dawkins- What he's done at UCF has been incredible. He's really revitalized his career after he flamed out at Stanford. And it obviously never hurts to be picking of the Mike Krzyzewski coaching tree.
10. Steve Jans- Has lit it up at New Mexico St the last two years and I loved the way that team played against Auburn.

Hoiberg would be a great choice but he is headed to Nebraska. Think he'll do very well there. I don't like Musselman and the way he coaches his teams. His teams seem fake tough to me.

msugolf
03-26-2019, 03:12 PM

So basically we are in a no-win situation. Let him ride out a couple more years with fan support gaining even more apathy and risk the bottom completely falling out. If he's going to go in a year or two then I'd rather it happen now.

confucius say
03-26-2019, 03:12 PM
Nick is done.

Why is he still attending class then? No troll.

basedog
03-26-2019, 03:20 PM

Wouldn't surprise me to see Ben announce one more year, this would give us time to look around for a Coach and would be a nice way to go around the conference one more time on his retirement. I said the other day at Ben's age makes me wonder if he is fired up to be around much longer. Doesn't help with Peters situation, Nick's situation and even Perry's attitude.

Tough place to win, don't believe me then do some research and explain to me I'm wrong*

Maroonthirteen
03-26-2019, 03:21 PM

Basketball has always been the 3rd sport behind football and baseball at MSU.

I remember in 1991 very few people knew we were winning in basketball until the showdown with Shaq. Then we went on to lose the first game of the SECT and NCAA tournament.

1996, we had a midnight madness lined up for a team returning multiple starters from a sweet 16 team, as I was leaving the football stadium, a State fan ask me why everyone was going to the Hump.

On and on and on....

Irondawg
03-26-2019, 03:22 PM
If Ben stays I'd be all about a new assistant or two. I'd back the truck up to bring Stan Jones back to run the offense.

StarkVegasSteve
03-26-2019, 03:28 PM
If Ben stays I'd be all about a new assistant or two. I'd back the truck up to bring Stan Jones back to run the offense.

I know Stan very well. He's not leaving Leonard Hamilton. I doubt he'd come if we offered him the head job. He loves it in Tallahassee and I imagine that's where he'll be til he retires.

PGHBulldogBG
03-26-2019, 03:43 PM
Please be Kermit. I would love to see him coach Perry Woodard Ado and Tyson!

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2019, 04:05 PM

I just don't understand this love affair with Kermit. He did a solid job no doubt but I don't see a difference maker with him at OM. Take away last season when the team quit because they knew AK was gone this years OM team was basically the same OM team for the past decade. If he continues to improve an elevate the program I'll definitely give him his props.

basedog
03-26-2019, 04:07 PM

Big No.

civildawg
03-26-2019, 04:09 PM
I agree. Kermit is a good coach but you would think he?s an elite coach from reading this board. He got blown out by a mediocre Oklahoma team in the tournament

Dawg2003
03-26-2019, 04:10 PM
Basketball has always been the 3rd sport behind football and baseball at MSU.

I remember in 1991 very few people knew we were winning in basketball until the showdown with Shaq. Then we went on to lose the first game of the SECT and NCAA tournament.

1996, we had a midnight madness lined up for a team returning multiple starters from a sweet 16 team, as I was leaving the football stadium, a State fan ask me why everyone was going to the Hump.

On and on and on....

I definitely think there is some romanticizing of our basketball past.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2019, 04:11 PM
I agree. Kermit is a good coach but you would think he?s an elite coach from reading this board. He got blown out by a mediocre Oklahoma team in the tournament

I'm not saying Kermit isn't a solid coach but if Kermit Sr doesn't have former MSU HC in front of his name no MSU fan has this weird love affair with Jr.

Alphadog2017
03-26-2019, 04:16 PM
Please be men's basketball

From dumpster fire to a 5 seed and you want him gone. Lord help us as fans please.

msu15
03-26-2019, 04:21 PM
From dumpster fire to a 5 seed and you want him gone. Lord help us as fans please.

Let's see; "rumblings from the athletic office"(and this was before he added that this was basketball related). Most of this board, including myself, are really only big fans of the men's big 3 and in the cases of 2 of them they have first year head coaches. Would you rather this be about football or baseball? Man we have some really stupid fans out there.

yjnkdawg
03-26-2019, 04:33 PM

I currently wouldn't.

basedog
03-26-2019, 04:42 PM
I currently wouldn't.

And it will never happen!

Liverpooldawg
03-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Beats where we have been since we fired him. It took us a DECADE to get back.

jwells
03-26-2019, 04:57 PM
If we do have to make a move, I hear we are going after some coach of a school in North Carolina that's got a weird name. Starts with a K but is pronounced funny. Don't know much about him but it may work.***

JOHNHEVESYMADE
03-26-2019, 05:04 PM
Y’all need a serious reality check. We made the tourney for the first time in 10 years. We were the highest seed since 2004-2005 season. We have improved every year. Why in the world would y’all want to get rid of him??? Yes I’m disappointed in our finish. We have been expecting for Lamar to leave. Calm down or else we might find ourselves in another Rick Ray situation. Future looks bright if Nick comes back, improved Perry, and improved Woodard. RELAX.

Dawg2003
03-26-2019, 05:09 PM
Y’all need a serious reality check. We made the tourney for the first time in 10 years. We were the highest seed since 2004-2005 season. We have improved every year. Why in the world would y’all want to get rid of him??? Yes I’m disappointed in our finish. We have been expecting for Lamar to leave. Calm down or else we might find ourselves in another Rick Ray situation. Future looks bright if Nick comes back, improved Perry, and improved Woodard. RELAX.

I don't think it's that we would fire him. It's that he might be done and want to leave.

yjnkdawg
03-26-2019, 05:12 PM
If we do have to make a move, I hear we are going after some coach of a school in North Carolina that's got a weird name. Starts with a K but is pronounced funny. Don't know much about him but it may work.***

I think I have heard on TV about who you are talking about, but I can't pronounce his name either. He is just not a well known name in the NCAA college basketball arena, so some on here would probably melt big time. And the big questions is, is he a good recruiter, and x and o's coach? Well, maybe or maybe not. I think he is still learning. :D

basedog
03-26-2019, 05:24 PM
JMO, but when Ben does retire, I'm hoping whoever we go after has some HC experience. You never know about assistants in basketball being a first time HC. I'd go after a mid major, maybe a D2 HC, I just think experience is needed especially at a place like Msu which isn't a basketball school.

Sec isn't a basketball conference, four schools looking for a new Coach. Name me another school in the Sec other than Kentucky who has been a top 20 program and gone dancing many consecutive years?

Football and Baseball yes.

RocketDawg
03-26-2019, 06:00 PM
JMO, but when Ben does retire, I'm hoping whoever we go after has some HC experience. You never know about assistants in basketball being a first time HC. I'd go after a mid major, maybe a D2 HC, I just think experience is needed especially at a place like Msu which isn't a basketball school.

Sec isn't a basketball conference, four schools looking for a new Coach. Name me another school in the Sec other than Kentucky who has been a top 20 program and gone dancing many consecutive years?

Football and Baseball yes.

Florida? Not so much recently but they were pretty good up until a few years ago.

RocketDawg
03-26-2019, 06:02 PM
I think I have heard on TV about who you are talking about, but I can't pronounce his name either. He is just not a well known name in the NCAA college basketball arena, so some on here would probably melt big time. And the big questions is, is he a good recruiter, and x and o's coach? Well, maybe or maybe not. I think he is still learning. :D

Doesn't he currently work at a pretty small school? I think he may be too old, but he might jump at the chance for a school that values sports as well as academics.

basedog
03-26-2019, 06:32 PM
Florida? Not so much recently but they were pretty good up until a few years ago.

I wouldn't say they are a basketball school nor a top 20 program. Yes to being good a few years ago but....

shannondawg
03-26-2019, 06:37 PM
My guess Ben is leaving on his own, and probably doesn't have a warm cuddly feeling because of lack of support. Some of which is on him.

Dawgcap
03-26-2019, 06:43 PM
Long story short of where I posted elsewhere. Our older bigs weighed a buck and a quarter. Very weak physically. Our freshmen bigs were freshmen who practiced against our older starters. We had 2-3 players who were weak mentally as far as taking the sneaky way out and getting suspended or sulking because someone said you were not playing at the skill level everyone knew you could.
Now the melt is actually coming from a game we led by 10 with 6 to go. Questionable call on a missed 3 opened up the flood gates. From here I blame Howland. He lost the team mentally from here by not having balls to go ape shit crazy at the refs for the shitty calls and players losing control in their emotions. They saw the same train coming as I saw and that’s when a coach gathers control of that situation.
I will say watching Duke - UCF that theirs should have and would have been a bigger shitting than ours but we just like a UCF are just games to build for the big money payouts

Ari Gold
03-26-2019, 06:46 PM
I just don't understand this love affair with Kermit. He did a solid job no doubt but I don't see a difference maker with him at OM. Take away last season when the team quit because they knew AK was gone this years OM team was basically the same OM team for the past decade. If he continues to improve an elevate the program I'll definitely give him his props.

It?s mother ****ing silly. And like I said shows how stupid we are as a basketball fan base.

Dawgcap
03-26-2019, 06:55 PM
My guess Ben is leaving on his own, and probably doesn't have a warm cuddly feeling because of lack of support. Some of which is on him.

Not arguing with you but recruit guys that have balls to play a game they love. I understand the small crowd is an issue in basketball and baseball due to seating but that’s on the ath department to figure out. But in the meantime it is on the coaches and players to have balls to fight every game because they love the game and love to win.
Look I’ve told y’all I’m old but back in the 80s and 90s a huge amount of guys in the south especially played slow pitch softball. The reason I bring this up is most every team played while having to play and the fight and effort to win at 11 on a Saturday night with a crowd of 5 was impressive. My point is we have to have guys playing every game to win whether there is a damn soul in the hump. Competitors compete all the time. We had a few worried about butts in the seat instead of effort from the heart.
You bring a team together with heart and effort you can fill a gym. It can happen in Starkville! Oh wait it is with the women

Lord McBuckethead
03-26-2019, 06:58 PM
Vic is going to coach both the women's and men's team! Heard it here first!

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9DPFq3HTm3pCcNri/giphy.gif

That would be awesome.

Lord McBuckethead
03-26-2019, 07:05 PM

And we lost to Liber-17ing-ty. Kermit had a better season with less talent, in my opinion.

ScottH
03-26-2019, 07:17 PM
Bad year to be shopping for a coach.

msbulldog
03-26-2019, 07:17 PM
I definitely think there is some romanticizing of our basketball past.

Well we have a .541 overall average and a 142 to 112 record against Mississippi, damn sight better than football.

BeardoMSU
03-26-2019, 07:20 PM
Will Wade?**

Dawgcap
03-26-2019, 07:29 PM
And we lost to Liber-17ing-ty. Kermit had a better season with less talent, in my opinion.

If not for a couple calls and a miss at the end Duke loses to UCF

Cloak
03-26-2019, 08:14 PM
Nick is done.

?

https://twitter.com/Nick_Gotti0/status/1110704141117079553?s=09

Walkerhill
03-26-2019, 08:33 PM
?

If Nick is back this team is better next year. Tyson Carter steps up and the young bigs mature a year.

Gutter Cobreh
03-26-2019, 08:43 PM
?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the same poster that said Nick was done the same one that started this thread stating Howland is retiring?????

Wonder if he'll bat .500, cause he's already down in the count....

Ari Gold
03-26-2019, 08:59 PM

That team wasn’t that bad
2 all sec players ( more than us )

And yeah Kermit did a good job there with Ak’s players .

Hell a Croom won a Coach of the Year in Football so let’s dont put Kermit on the Mr Rushmore of Coaches yet

OSCAR
03-26-2019, 09:58 PM

The Rick Ray hire was the worst in our history for so many reasons. Probably for the best though, it would be a ton of pressure on Kermit coaching here. I?d rather have fresh eyes come in. Just go out and get the best coach you can from anywhere.

Dawgcap
03-26-2019, 10:04 PM
We had defeciencies. We were soft on the post. Perry and Woodard improved things but they were freshmen and our other 2 bigs are built for the outside. Well Holman was. Ado has weak hands but how do you expect strength in hands from a guy that played soccer all his life.

Ezsoil
03-26-2019, 10:29 PM

Aren't you the same guy that said Nick was never coming back?

BuckyIsAB****
03-26-2019, 10:51 PM
I think Howland let some rotten apples ruin the bunch. We have a bad culture right now, or had. Maybe with a few of them leaving it will improve, sometimes thats a tough spot to be in. You can chew on them and demand it out of them but sometimes it just doesnt click bc the kids dont want it too. And as a coach you are in a tough spot bc you know if you play them you could get the good version and be hellacious that night but then the other hand, you could get the no give a shit lazy BS we saw time and time again. Me personally, I'd rather play with 5 scrubs and take my lumps than play with 5 that wanna do it their way. I can see why he stuck with them though if he thought they gave us the best chance to win.

That, or Howland just let them walk all over him bc he has lost the fire he had at UCLA.

Dawgcap
03-26-2019, 11:01 PM
I think Howland let some rotten apples ruin the bunch. We have a bad culture right now, or had. Maybe with a few of them leaving it will improve, sometimes thats a tough spot to be in. You can chew on them and demand it out of them but sometimes it just doesnt click bc the kids dont want it too. And as a coach you are in a tough spot bc you know if you play them you could get the good version and be hellacious that night but then the other hand, you could get the no give a shit lazy BS we saw time and time again. Me personally, I'd rather play with 5 scrubs and take my lumps than play with 5 that wanna do it their way. I can see why he stuck with them though if he thought they gave us the best chance to win.

That, or Howland just let them walk all over him bc he has lost the fire he had at UCLA.
I don’t think Howland had bad apples. Think he had weaknesses down low physically and had a couple guards who were weak as leaders. How do you coach through that. Well I disagree with myself because I’d be unemployed after goin absolutely ape shit on at least 2 bad calls. Then I’d call a huddle , say 17 the NCAA let’s go win a basketball game. I’m ashamed he let those calls happen and ashamed our guys let that happen to them

BuckyIsAB****
03-26-2019, 11:05 PM
I don’t think Howland had bad apples. Think he had weaknesses down low physically and had a couple guards who were weak as leaders. How do you coach through that. Well I disagree with myself because I’d be unemployed after goin absolutely ape shit on at least 2 bad calls. Then I’d call a huddle , say 17 the NCAA let’s go win a basketball game. I’m ashamed he let those calls happen and ashamed our guys let that happen to them

It was fairly obvious to me that its one of 2 things, our upperclassmen didnt give a shit half the time, or they were allowed to not give a shit half the time.

Great coach once told me that everything you see on the field is either taught or allowed.

mstatefan91
03-26-2019, 11:12 PM
It was fairly obvious to me that its one of 2 things, our upperclassmen didnt give a shit half the time, or they were allowed to not give a shit half the time.

Great coach once told me that everything you see on the field is either taught or allowed.

Think about it this way.

Howland was handed a failing/failed program and told to turn it around quickly.

Howland gets his talent. (That isn't debatable. The team was highly talented and skilled.)

Howland can either:

1.) Coach like a hardass and risk losing even more of the talent (Newman, Kegler) and therefore hit a setback on the goal of getting to the NCAA. Not good for job security or legacy.

or

2.) Let some things go while trying to get the most out of his team by encouraging them so that he hits his goal

I saw a lot of #2 and I'm not saying it's the right way but I understand how it came about.

Lord McBuckethead
03-27-2019, 12:23 AM
That team wasn?t that bad
2 all sec players ( more than us )

And yeah Kermit did a good job there with Ak?s players .

Hell a Croom won a Coach of the Year in Football so let?s dont put Kermit on the Mr Rushmore of Coaches yet

I am not trying to put Kermit on a pedestal by any means. I am just want a team that plays hard like Tennessee and makes it passed a 12 seed on the opening round. Can Howland get us there? Not sure, but I hope.

Dawgcap
03-27-2019, 12:31 AM

So we lost because of Q, Lamar and Aric? Two of those 3 had bullshit 4th fouls late. Now I have to disagree with you agree with Barkley because he sat Lamar and Q for 3 minutes and our offense melted. Remember how you want but we were up 10. Then shit went to hell but that wasn’t on players

Dawgcap
03-27-2019, 12:46 AM

I had a great coach tell me once that if you listen to a fan base with a great coach that tells what’s wrong with the program that it’s better to ignore them because they usually are full of shit.

hacker
03-27-2019, 07:22 AM
Can someone PM me what Nick got suspended for?

Dawg2003
03-27-2019, 07:38 AM

Me too

basedog
03-27-2019, 07:43 AM
I am not trying to put Kermit on a pedestal by any means. I am just want a team that plays hard like Tennessee and makes it passed a 12 seed on the opening round. Can Howland get us there? Not sure, but I hope.

Name the Coaches and teams we did what you ask, just saying.

PMDawg
03-27-2019, 07:44 AM
jwells

I think the mods need to verify that this guy isn't a troll. This is two threads in a row where he trolled our users into bashing players/coaches.

BuckyIsAB****
03-27-2019, 08:44 AM
I had a great coach tell me once that if you listen to a fan base with a great coach that tells what’s wrong with the program that it’s better to ignore them because they usually are full of shit.

Ok. If you thought we had a great culture and played hard all the time then thats an opinion. A dumbass opinion but you're entitled to it

BuckyIsAB****
03-27-2019, 08:46 AM
So we lost because of Q, Lamar and Aric? Two of those 3 had bullshit 4th fouls late. Now I have to disagree with you agree with Barkley because he sat Lamar and Q for 3 minutes and our offense melted. Remember how you want but we were up 10. Then shit went to hell but that wasn’t on players

We were the same team all year. We showed up and played hard when we wanted too not all the time. We had no leadership and disappeared against good teams. Great example, when everything is going good Peters is the life of the party, when something bad happens he is pouting and whining on the bench. Our body language is terrible.

The only two that play hard consistently are the freshmen, that tells me they havent bought in to that bad culture yet that the upper classmen were allowed to.

sleepy dawg
03-27-2019, 08:54 AM
If he's a troll, he is quite clever.

PGHBulldogBG
03-27-2019, 10:17 AM
I’m not saying Kermit Davis is the next coach K, but he maximizes his talent. It’s not just about what he did at Ole Miss, but also what he did at MTSU. He consistently won their with little talent and almost always won a game or two in the dance. He is a bulldog and would rather watch 3 stars maximize potential than a recruiter bring in 4-5 stars and not coach them. We are not duke, Kansas or UNC. Just need another coach similar to Williams and I think the fan base would unite.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-27-2019, 10:55 AM

Why do we have to PM? He had someone take tests for him.

shannondawg
03-27-2019, 11:00 AM
He ain't a bulldog no more!

mstatefan91
03-27-2019, 11:05 AM
He ain't a bulldog no more!

wut?

ScoobaDawg
03-27-2019, 11:26 AM
I think the mods need to verify that this guy isn't a troll. This is two threads in a row where he trolled our users into bashing players/coaches.

He's not a troll.. remember he is also the same poster that would write up pre-game stuff on the basketball team...
I think.. he might be a student or one who recently graduated.. that is super passionate about basketball. Maybe has a contact with basketball or not.. but either way, Hopefully he is 0-2. As looks like Nick is staying.. and no other rumblings yet on Ben.

Gutter Cobreh
03-27-2019, 12:08 PM
He's not a troll.. remember he is also the same poster that would write up pre-game stuff on the basketball team...
I think.. he might be a student or one who recently graduated.. that is super passionate about basketball. Maybe has a contact with basketball or not.. but either way, Hopefully he is 0-2. As looks like Nick is staying.. and no other rumblings yet on Ben.

Don't care if he is a troll or not, but the bigger issue is why put this rumor out there? Even if it is true and Howland retires, what is gained? Fresh off a loss to Liberty, starting any type of basketball thread is going to go south...

I guess if it drives clicks and hits on this site, maybe it is worth it. Regardless, once someone walks out on that ledge and starts threads full of speculation - ain't no turning back.

sleepy dawg
03-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Don't care if he is a troll or not, but the bigger issue is why put this rumor out there? Even if it is true and Howland retires, what is gained? Fresh off a loss to Liberty, starting any type of basketball thread is going to go south...

I guess if it drives clicks and hits on this site, maybe it is worth it. Regardless, once someone walks out on that ledge and starts threads full of speculation - ain't no turning back.

I hate any type of "I heard something" comments. I'd prefer to remain in the dark unless there's some substance to it. If you don't have something specific to say, just wait to say something until you do.

Ari Gold
03-27-2019, 01:09 PM
I’m not saying Kermit Davis is the next coach K, but he maximizes his talent. It’s not just about what he did at Ole Miss, but also what he did at MTSU. He consistently won their with little talent and almost always won a game or two in the dance. He is a bulldog and would rather watch 3 stars maximize potential than a recruiter bring in 4-5 stars and not coach them. We are not duke, Kansas or UNC. Just need another coach similar to Williams and I think the fan base would unite.

Look I was all for hiring Kermit Instead of the Rick Ray fiasco..
but let’s get the facts straight
He was there for 16 years
Made the NCAA dance 3 times
Never got past the second round

That doesn’t scream Hire This Guy!!!!

BeardoMSU
03-27-2019, 01:12 PM

It does if you overreact to what he did at OM in year one with another coaches players***

smootness
03-27-2019, 01:21 PM
but let’s get the facts straight

I'm not a Kermit Davis Jr. defender and never wanted us to hire him (still don't), but that's not exactly an objective look at it. Everything you posted is correct...and yet it doesn't exactly tell the whole story.

He went to the Tourney 3 times in 16 years...but all of those came in his last 6 years there, during which he went 152-55 and 87-21 in conference. He won the CUSA regular season 5 times in his last 7 years there. He did all this at a school that had 6 NCAAT appearances in their history before he showed up, all of which came in a 15-year period that ended more than a decade before he came, and the two coaches before him never won a thing at the school.

Again, I'm not advocating that he should be our coach or that we should want him, and I actually don't want him. But he did a very good job at MTSU, and he has now been to 4 NCAA Tournaments in 7 years at MTSU and Ole Miss. That's pretty darn good.

Lord McBuckethead
03-27-2019, 02:00 PM
I'm not a Kermit Davis Jr. defender and never wanted us to hire him (still don't), but that's not exactly an objective look at it. Everything you posted is correct...and yet it doesn't exactly tell the whole story.

He went to the Tourney 3 times in 16 years...but all of those came in his last 6 years there, during which he went 152-55 and 87-21 in conference. He won the CUSA regular season 5 times in his last 7 years there. He did all this at a school that had 6 NCAAT appearances in their history before he showed up, all of which came in a 15-year period that ended more than a decade before he came, and the two coaches before him never won a thing at the school.

Again, I'm not advocating that he should be our coach or that we should want him, and I actually don't want him. But he did a very good job at MTSU, and he has now been to 4 NCAA Tournaments in 7 years at MTSU and Ole Miss. That's pretty darn good.

Don't bring facts with a bit of perspective into this, damn you.

KentuckyDawg13
03-27-2019, 02:07 PM
Gawd, can we stop romanticizing about Kermit...he is coaching at MSU's rival. He is NOT coming here.

shannondawg
03-27-2019, 02:27 PM
wut?

He's a reb, what did you think he is now?

MCsMGs
03-27-2019, 02:42 PM

Unless I missed it, I don't see where he started a rumor about Howland. He said he heard rumblings from the AD's office related to the basketball program and many jumped to the conclusion that Howland was leaving and further speculated about why.

What is curious to me is why he(jwells) hasn't made any effort to clarify what the rumor or rumblings were/are, which makes me suspect of his motives for starting this thread in the first place.

Gutter Cobreh
03-27-2019, 02:56 PM

Unless I missed it, I don't see where he started a rumor about Howland. He said he heard rumblings from the AD's office related to the basketball program and many jumped to the conclusion that Howland was leaving and further speculated about why.

What is curious to me is why he(jwells) hasn't made any effort to clarify what the rumor or rumblings were/are, which makes me suspect of his motives for starting this thread in the first place.

See the quote attached atop this reply. He posted the topic, you simply must have missed it!

Also, what I've bolded in your reply qualifies as a rumor.

MCsMGs
03-27-2019, 02:59 PM
See the quote attached atop this reply. He posted the topic, you simply must have missed it!

Also, what I've bolded in your reply qualifies as a rumor.

I stand corrected...I did miss that.

Ari Gold
03-27-2019, 06:12 PM

Go back and read the post I was responding to..
agree he did an excellent job at OM and had some good years late at MTSU .
But making the tourney 3 times in 16 years at a mid major isn’t that impressive

Todd4State
03-27-2019, 09:06 PM
Go back and read the post I was responding to..
agree he did an excellent job at OM and had some good years late at MTSU .
But making the tourney 3 times in 16 years at a mid major isn’t that impressive

Out of curiosity who would you think would be a good candidate?

Ari Gold
03-27-2019, 09:49 PM
Out of curiosity who would you think would be a good candidate?

For our job? Well since Ben isn’t going anywhere I’m not sure

Cloak
03-27-2019, 10:06 PM
Jwells MIA

JNC23
03-27-2019, 10:41 PM
But making the tourney 3 times in 16 years at a mid major isn?t that impressive

This. He wasn't at Middle Tennessee State for 16 years because he loved Murfreesboro.

BeardoMSU
03-27-2019, 10:53 PM
This. He wasn't at Middle Tennessee State for 16 years because he loved Murfreesboro.

This. Not only that, but this year was an oddity in terms of how SEC teams were rated, as compared to the old RPI system. Davis' team was literally just like all those previous AK bubble teams, but they were overvalued with the new system; just like all the other teams were.....I mean, we were a 5 seed for God's sake...in other years, with our record and schedule, we'd have likely been an 8 or 9 seed, and would have had to fight to get that....which is definitely closer to what we deserved, considering how dysfunctional we were all season.

Cooterpoot
03-28-2019, 03:23 AM
Kermit is Andy Kennedy without the crazy.

basedog
03-28-2019, 07:23 AM

I'm betting AK's tenure will be much better than KD tenure. Will shall see in 2 or 3 years, KD played with AK players and did a decent job. But they were up and down and losing last two games has to sting but not being a basketball school doesn't hurt for long.

tcdog70
03-28-2019, 11:21 AM
but let?s get the facts straight

That doesn?t scream Hire This Guy!!!!

the main reason I was for hiring KD instead of Ray was that Butch Pierre was coming with Him. BP had just been named asst Coach of the year.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-28-2019, 01:45 PM

I'd say Andy was Kermit Davis with less experience.

Lord McBuckethead
03-28-2019, 01:52 PM
What Rumblings? This was from 3 damn days ago. Rumblings were shit OP.

gtowndawg
03-28-2019, 02:40 PM

Wondering the same. Was it Peters? What else could it be?

biggun
03-28-2019, 02:53 PM
This. Not only that, but this year was an oddity in terms of how SEC teams were rated, as compared to the old RPI system. Davis' team was literally just like all those previous AK bubble teams, but they were overvalued with the new system; just like all the other teams were.....I mean, we were a 5 seed for God's sake...in other years, with our record and schedule, we'd have likely been an 8 or 9 seed, and would have had to fight to get that....which is definitely closer to what we deserved, considering how dysfunctional we were all season.

Amen. That we were a 5 seed was a testament to how soft a bubble the tourney had this year! We were a slightly above average basketball team that had 2 huge glaring weaknesses that were easily exploited by good basketball teams, especially on the road:
1. Turnovers - wayyyy too many, never valued the basketball
2. Terrible team defense - never learned to play team defense and when you had 2 starters who were far too often torched in man to man, you must have excellent help side D. We did not. Howland never tried a zone, and he should have, especially after losing Nick

War Machine Dawg
03-28-2019, 03:23 PM

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/951836161967982969/0AFB581F1E1B66D6FA72E57BA185B401C19B9BD3/

DancingRabbit
03-28-2019, 03:33 PM

http://rushthecourt.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/94511012212173_Mississippi_St_at_Georgia.jpg

shannondawg
03-28-2019, 06:28 PM
If not for fatboy, he would probably be here. He bet and lost, pure and simple.

DanDority
03-28-2019, 07:30 PM

When he told an athletic club that he thought he could manage said fatboy, but still has trouble coaching him, that was the END!

Quaoarsking
03-28-2019, 08:23 PM

That's absolutely false. There were lots of cancers on those late Stansbury Era teams, and it's ridiculous to pin the blame solely on Renardo (who is a total shithead, don't get me wrong).

Lord McBuckethead
03-29-2019, 12:09 AM

Well bump this shit post. I want to know what the rumblings were ... . Troll.

Todd4State
03-29-2019, 01:16 AM
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/951836161967982969/0AFB581F1E1B66D6FA72E57BA185B401C19B9BD3/

I'm not sure why some State fans won't let Stansbury go? Just puzzles me. He was good in his time and had a lot of success here but like everyone else his time ended and we had to move on.

WildDawg
03-29-2019, 06:21 AM
I'm not sure why some State fans won't let Stansbury go? Just puzzles me. He was good in his time and had a lot of success here but like everyone else his time ended and we had to move on.

Same reason we think we are a perennial basketball powerhouse because we went to the final four in 1996. That was almost a quarter a century ago....23 years!!... and Stans wasn’t the coach of that team. Matter of fact, he never came close to smelling the final four! I like him and his family a lot, and we won some great games while he was here, but his scheme was pretty tame. Let him GO! Don’t hold him back anymore!

smootness
03-29-2019, 06:52 AM
we went to the final four in 1994

?

WildDawg
03-29-2019, 07:51 AM
?

Too early to think....fixed it.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2019, 11:01 AM

We just had a quicker trigger on Stans than Jackie. Jackie went at least one year too long. 2000 was a let down and then follow it up with 2001 and 2002 but then give him another year to make sure we are fully at the bottom.

If we hire someone like Howland instead of Rick Ray (or any competent D1 head coach) then the program is in an entirely different place.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2019, 11:04 AM
Same reason we think we are a perennial basketball powerhouse because we went to the final four in 1996. That was almost a quarter a century ago....23 years!!... and Stans wasn’t the coach of that team. Matter of fact, he never came close to smelling the final four! I like him and his family a lot, and we won some great games while he was here, but his scheme was pretty tame. Let him GO! Don’t hold him back anymore!

He typically got a couple of shooters and the rest just great athletes and taught them to play defense and rebound. When he got great basketball players then we had years like 2004. At the end he lost the team and they weren't buying in to play defense and rebound as a team.

No reason a team with the talent of Moultrie and Dee Bost should have missed the tournament and then not even win the NIT.

hopsondawg22
03-29-2019, 11:24 AM
The real rumblings going on in the Athletic department is the bowling in of the south endzone and putting in a hotel, along with premium seating. Which would be a trendsetter in the college football world.

3rdGen
03-29-2019, 12:27 PM
The real rumblings going on in the Athletic department is the bowling in of the south endzone and putting in a hotel, along with premium seating. Which would be a trendsetter in the college football world.

Hahaha! That?s rich right there!!!!
I love it!! Somebody call the contracting office and let?s get the ball rolling.

Edit: how in the world is this thread still going? Are y?all not tired of talking about 17ing Kermit D.

Get it outta here!!!

msbulldog
03-29-2019, 12:28 PM
Stansbury lost it when Robert Kirby went to Georgetown. Kirby was the disciplinarian and a semblance of a X's and O's guy.

Lord McBuckethead
03-29-2019, 12:31 PM

Yep. That would be something. Not a hotel, but luxury condos if it we me. 2 bedroom, 2 bath with seating on the field side like the sky boxes.
I would do lower bowl seating 5-8k seats, with the M Club above, and then the condos above those.
I would have a party deck at the M Club level overlooking the junction.

A tower on one side with a giant 17n cast cowbell that the big donors get to ring 90 mintutes before the game telling everyone to go into the stadium.

Now John could hire me to design it. I would dedicate the next 5-6 years of my life to making it bad ass.

BayouDawg
03-29-2019, 12:53 PM
Stansbury lost it when Robert Kirby went to Georgetown. Kirby was the disciplinarian and a semblance of a X's and O's guy.

This is accurate

bulldawg28
03-29-2019, 01:00 PM

Let's make it happen!

Lord McBuckethead
03-29-2019, 01:09 PM
Still waiting OP. Still waiting.