PDA

View Full Version : Made it to the game yesterday. This is what I came away with.

AlSwearengen
03-25-2019, 03:12 PM
Sunday?s game was my first at the New Dude and damn did I pick a hell of a game for my first. The drive sucked and I got a damn ticket but after that it was smooth sailing. I had great seats that I purchased off of stubhub. Never thought i would pay that much for a college baseball game, but it was worth it. I think the wife enjoyed it more than I did with the weather, music, concessions, etc. to keep her happy.

The stadium is as advertised. The new left field lounge is starting to take on a little bit of character and should improve in that department over time as people settle in. More flags, banners, decorations etc. and Kyle Peterson will be broadcasting from out there again.

Seating has been beaten to death but if we have the program that we hope to have (top 10 consistently), something will have to be done. The character that the berms provide is a nice touch, but I wouldn?t want to be in the rat race trying to get a good spot in one. I hope that there has been a lot of forward thinking as far as future seating and where it will go in because it will be needed.

We have had better offensive teams but I don?t think we have had any as gritty and that display such a desperation to win. Rowdey is back and Halter has made huge strides. I was very concerned with Halter at the beginning of the season with just his appearance at the plate. He looked like an uncomfortable high school 9 hole hitter. He has backed off the plate a little and will hopefully continue to make adjustments and improve. If Skelton continues what he is doing and Halter keeps progressing, we have a hell of an order.

Pitching is still an unknown to me. How good is Brandon Smith? Can Riley Self get back to being a consistently good pitcher like his freshman year? He has had two good outings in a row now. We have several question marks but if two or three of them work out in our favor, we can probably get by come tournament time. Just about all of them have had really good performances and shown potential, we just need consistency from some of them. It would be nice to have that Jack Owen kid that followed Butch to auburn.

To conclude, it is amazing that we are doing as well as we are when you consider the coaching turnover that we have had, starting with Butch. There is no telling how many recruits that we have missed out on because of it and yet, here we are. If the chips fall right, we should be in a position to really catch the attention of even more top recruits.

Jack Lambert
03-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Just think if State makes it to a Super Regional this season, Jake would have made it to four Super Regional under four different coaches.

Scared_Hitless
03-25-2019, 03:32 PM
Just think if State makes it to a Super Regional this season, Jake would have made it to four Super Regional under four different coaches.

That is a crazy stat.

StateDawg44
03-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Gotta think that if we are in contention to host a regional we will get the tip of the hat with the new stadium and all right?

Cowbell
03-25-2019, 03:49 PM
Sunday?s game was my first at the New Dude and damn did I pick a hell of a game for my first. The drive sucked and I got a damn ticket but after that it was smooth sailing. I had great seats that I purchased off of stubhub. Never thought i would pay that much for a college baseball game, but it was worth it. I think the wife enjoyed it more than I did with the weather, music, concessions, etc. to keep her happy.

The stadium is as advertised. The new left field lounge is starting to take on a little bit of character and should improve in that department over time as people settle in. More flags, banners, decorations etc. and Kyle Peterson will be broadcasting from out there again.

Seating has been beaten to death but if we have the program that we hope to have (top 10 consistently), something will have to be done. The character that the berms provide is a nice touch, but I wouldn?t want to be in the rat race trying to get a good spot in one. I hope that there has been a lot of forward thinking as far as future seating and where it will go in because it will be needed.

We have had better offensive teams but I don?t think we have had any as gritty and that display such a desperation to win. Rowdey is back and Halter has made huge strides. I was very concerned with Halter at the beginning of the season with just his appearance at the plate. He looked like an uncomfortable high school 9 hole hitter. He has backed off the plate a little and will hopefully continue to make adjustments and improve. If Skelton continues what he is doing and Halter keeps progressing, we have a hell of an order.

Pitching is still an unknown to me. How good is Brandon Smith? Can Riley Self get back to being a consistently good pitcher like his freshman year? He has had two good outings in a row now. We have several question marks but if two or three of them work out in our favor, we can probably get by come tournament time. Just about all of them have had really good performances and shown potential, we just need consistency from some of them. It would be nice to have that Jack Owen kid that followed Butch to auburn.

To conclude, it is amazing that we are doing as well as we are when you consider the coaching turnover that we have had, starting with Butch. There is no telling how many recruits that we have missed out on because of it and yet, here we are. If the chips fall right, we should be in a position to really catch the attention of even more top recruits.

I agree with everything you said but the offensive part. I just dont remember a lineup like we have now with hardly a hole anywhere. The leadoff hitter may be the best we have ever had. The 2-6 hitters can all jack it at any point and 7-9 seem to be as clutch as they need to be. But I am a young buck.

gravedigger
03-25-2019, 04:04 PM
I agree with everything you said but the offensive part. I just dont remember a lineup like we have now with hardly a hole anywhere. The leadoff hitter may be the best we have ever had. The 2-6 hitters can all jack it at any point and 7-9 seem to be as clutch as they need to be. But I am a young buck.

Clark/Palmeiro

basedog
03-25-2019, 04:09 PM
89 team was a jacked up hitters lineup.

AlSwearengen
03-25-2019, 04:11 PM

As a whole, I think the team with Pete Young, Jody Hurst, etc. was one of the best. Of course, you could throw a junk baller against them and shut them down. You couldn’t do that to the current team I don’t think. I agree with the part about Jake though. The current team is probably in the top 5 for sure. Let’s see how Skelton, DH, and Halter end the year.

Homedawg
03-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Clark/Palmeiro

that team had serious holes in the lineup 89 was way better 1-9

Homedawg
03-25-2019, 04:14 PM
89 team was a jacked up hitters lineup.

89 had 3 legit starters on the bench every game. Deep and talented offensively.

basedog
03-25-2019, 04:16 PM
89 had 3 legit starters on the bench every game. Deep and talented offensively.

Best team ever for not making it to CWS. I still find it hard we lost two games on Sunday to NC.

Commercecomet24
03-25-2019, 04:26 PM
Best team ever for not making it to CWS. I still find it hard we lost two games on Sunday to NC.

That one hurt. I was there for that whole regional, still can't believe that team didn't make it to Omaha. The first game we lost to UNC that regional thae kid that pitched for unc kept throwing breaking balls and changeups in the dirt and we couldn't lay off. We took his average fb for strikes and swung at off speed in the dirt. Was so frustrating. Bobby Reed pitched a gem on Sunday and then we just ran out of pitching. That was one heckuva team that didn't make it to Omaha.

basedog
03-25-2019, 04:33 PM
That one hurt. I was there for that whole regional, still can't believe that team didn't make it to Omaha. The first game we lost to UNC that regional thae kid that pitched for unc kept throwing breaking balls and changeups in the dirt and we couldn't lay off. We took his average fb for strikes and swung at off speed in the dirt. Was so frustrating. Bobby Reed pitched a gem on Sunday and then we just ran out of pitching. That was one heckuva team that didn't make it to Omaha.

To me may be the toughest lost to take for any team sport in Msu history. Had as much talent as any sport we've ever had. But then maybe the most amazing team win ever was the next year with Masters homer! What a game!

drummerdawg
03-25-2019, 04:43 PM
I went this weekend as well. I dont get to go often but I was able to Sunday for my second New Dude experience. The biggest thing to me is something HAS to be done about seating. The concourse was packed with people standing trying to view the game. All the SRO spots were taken and berms were packed all the while hundreds of chairbacks were vacant. I took my dad to a game a couple weeks ago and was able to get chairbacks but yesterday I took my mom and as expected no chairbacks available. Sometime in the 5th inning we were able to grab a seat once the ticket checkers left. But after the game I asked her what she thought and she said she was very disappointed. Beautiful stadium but it ought to have seats for everyone. I remember they said we could fit 13-15K in there comfortably now because of the design but that's bs. I have no idea where these people are gonna fit for something like SBW. I wonder how many seats the new stadium reduced from the old stadium. I'm guessing the old bleachers held a good bit more people than these berms do.

Commercecomet24
03-25-2019, 04:47 PM
To me may be the toughest lost to take for any team sport in Msu history. Had as much talent as any sport we've ever had. But then maybe the most amazing team win ever was the next year with Masters homer! What a game!

It sure was a bad one. That team won 50 games and didn't make it out of the regional. I was at the Burke Masters game too! What a memory!

Homedawg
03-25-2019, 04:47 PM

we didn't lose two on sunday. They beat us in the undefeated game and then we cam back and beat them the first game and they beat us in elimination game. But yes, we lost twice to them in tourney and still hard to believe .

BuckyIsAB****
03-25-2019, 05:53 PM
Gotta think that if we are in contention to host a regional we will get the tip of the hat with the new stadium and all right?

I think hosting a regional should be just about a given with this team

msbulldog
03-25-2019, 06:42 PM

Not really that amazing Canny and Gotro had a couple of really good classes committed before Canny screwed th3 pootch!

AlSwearengen
03-25-2019, 07:11 PM
[/B]

Not really that amazing Canny and Gotro had a couple of really good classes committed before Canny screwed th3 pootch!

Imagine if we had Crisp that signed with Florida (and is actually supposed to be a high school senior right now) and Jack Owen that followed Butch to auburn. That is just two that were committed to us and changed b/c of coaching changes. If Lemonis can have really good success for three years running, we should see recruiting get a little easier b/c of relationships, etc.

MedDawg
03-25-2019, 08:50 PM

The 1989 team was ranked #1 in the country going into the NCAA regionals.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
03-25-2019, 10:20 PM
Imagine if we had Crisp that signed with Florida (and is actually supposed to be a high school senior right now) and Jack Owen that followed Butch to auburn. That is just two that were committed to us and changed b/c of coaching changes. If Lemonis can have really good success for three years running, we should see recruiting get a little easier b/c of relationships, etc.

Imagine if Stewart would have ended up coming to campus this year. Damn, what if huh?

The Federalist Engineer
03-25-2019, 10:31 PM

When 89 was eliminated, it was like a death in Starkville. I was a little kid and it was something I could not believe. Baseball is a cruel sport. Then the 1991 World Series happened, I don't know why I even watch baseball

Commercecomet24
03-25-2019, 11:18 PM
When 89 was eliminated, it was like a death in Starkville. I was a little kid and it was something I could not believe. Baseball is a cruel sport. Then the 1991 World Series happened, I don't know why I even watch baseball

I feel your pain but I love baseball to much to not watch!

Lord McBuckethead
03-26-2019, 12:48 AM

Wasn't #1 by the end, and that is all that matters. Last years team was better, why? Cause they made it to the final 4. Our runner up to UCLA 2013 year was better than 89. Why, cause we made it to the finals. Winner win. The 89 year lost.

Lord McBuckethead
03-26-2019, 12:52 AM
Sorry to harp, but I am tired of the 89 team. They really were not that special. They didn't even make it out of the regional. Like Ole Miss or something.

MarketingBully
03-26-2019, 07:07 AM

We have the best recruiting staff in the country. Among Lemonis?s strengths, his biggest strength is recruiting. He basically built the Louisville program. He was the first assistant McDonnell went after when McDonnell took over the Louisville program for his ability to coach hitting and to recruit. Recruiting will not skip a beat under this staff.

MedDawg
03-26-2019, 07:36 AM
Imagine if Stewart would have ended up coming to campus this year. Damn, what if huh?

Carter Stewart so far with Eastern Florida State College"

8 starts
2-1 record
44.1 innings
17 runs
8 earned runs
ERA 1.62
14 walks
71 strikeouts

dstatechamps
03-26-2019, 07:38 AM

Michael Hoog. F*** that guy lol. Beat us 2-1 on that Saturday. 14-year old me was crushed we didn't get to Omaha.

That Sunday night, I thought we had them. Pete was up with the bases loaded and two outs - here we go! Took a full-count curveball for strike three. I remember he just stood in the batter's box for a few moments after that. Funny what sticks with you over the years.

basedog
03-26-2019, 08:48 AM
Michael Hoog. F*** that guy lol. Beat us 2-1 on that Saturday. 14-year old me was crushed we didn't get to Omaha.

That Sunday night, I thought we had them. Pete was up with the bases loaded and two outs - here we go! Took a full-count curveball for strike three. I remember he just stood in the batter's box for a few moments after that. Funny what sticks with you over the years.

After that finally out, me and my peep friends just sat there for a lonnngggg time reflecting the end of the season. One of my buddies said "we will never have a hitting team like this one again", LOL, hope he is wrong seeing this year's team.

I have seen some great teams as well as Underachievers and Overachievers. Lastly being I am a 1973 Msu graduate, I saw the beginning of LF Lounge, great crowds, and some really talented teams. Some of those early 70's teams were as good as any, Paul Gregory doesn't get the recognition as he should. No one cared about baseball in the Sec but us back then.

AlSwearengen
03-26-2019, 11:09 AM
One of the things you could count on from Polk teams is that they could crush the fastball, couldn?t hit off speed stuff, and couldn?t bunt. To win big, you have to be able to do everything.

msbulldog
03-26-2019, 12:22 PM
After that finally out, me and my peep friends just sat there for a lonnngggg time reflecting the end of the season. One of my buddies said "we will never have a hitting team like this one again", LOL, hope he is wrong seeing this year's team.

I have seen some great teams as well as Underachievers and Overachievers. Lastly being I am a 1973 Msu graduate, I saw the beginning of LF Lounge, great crowds, and some really talented teams. Some of those early 70's teams were as good as any, Paul Gregory doesn't get the recognition as he should. No one cared about baseball in the Sec but us back then.

Amen to that! Freshman in 1973.

basedog
03-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Amen to that! Freshman in 1973.

Ok you old geezer, stay off ones lawn***