PDA

View Full Version : Sunday scores from college baseball

MetEdDawg
03-24-2019, 07:20 PM
Lots of things being learned about teams today. That's the theme of today's post:

#5 Georgia beats #10 LSU 9-7. That's a series win for UGA. We learned they are legit and will push Vandy in the east. Learned that LSU just doesn't quite have the horses they usually do. Good, not great team.

#13 Texas A&M beats Kentucky 17-5. That's a series sweep in Lexington. Learning that early on, Texas A&M will be able to push in the west. They are 5-1 with a series win over Vandy already.

#18 Ole Miss loses to Missouri 8-5. That's a series loss and a bad one for the Rebel Bear Sharks. Learning that they are too inconsistent and don't have enough talent on offense or defense to compete.

#4 Louisville avoids a sweep at the hands of Georgia Tech with a 5-4 win. Louisville is going to hang around but they've got some issues on the weekend.

#20 East Carolina sweeps UCF with a Sunday score of 6-5. UCF has solid wins on their resume, so ECU continues to keep that win of ours looking good.

#19 Texas Tech lost to Stetson 7-5 today. That came on the heels of a Thursday-Saturday sweep of a ranked Michigan team. Bad loss, but that's still a good team.

#1 UCLA sweeps Arizona 3-1 by scoring 2 in the 8th today. Learning that UCLA has the horses to win it all. They don't hit it as well yet as they need to, but they can freaking pitch. Right now most well rounded club in the country.

#7 Oregon State takes 2 of 3 from Cal with a 10-5 win today. Learned that they might be a tad down but they will be hanging around. Good team.

#3 Stanford sweeps Utah with a 7-6 win. They have played well this year and will continue to remain in the Top 5. Sneaky team out west that will surprise a lot of people.

#6 NC State sweeps Miami with a 6-4 win today. They are 23-1 with a Sunday loss to a ranked FSU as their only blemish. They may be for real.

Off the radar since they played Thursday through Saturday, but #8 Vandy swept #14 Florida this weekend. Florida only managed 6 runs in 3 games and gave up 35 runs. This may be crazy to say, but I could see Florida missing a regional this year. They be lucky to get a 2 seed right now.

There's your update. We have the horses to compete folks. Bullpen and Sunday starters are issues. Would be shocked if we didn't see Plumlee start Sunday. Auburn is a solid baseball team and we very easily could have swept them this weekend if not for the bullpen crapping itself Friday night. We should stay #2 and get ready for another big series this weekend. Got to keep winning 2 out of 3. That's going to get us where we need to be and put us as national seed. Hail State folks. Enjoy this team. They are damn good.

PMDawg
03-24-2019, 07:56 PM
But Florida, mah, talent, mah

The Federalist Engineer
03-24-2019, 08:13 PM
Florida will be good. Ton of Freshman playing and they started SEC play versus the top-2 teams in the conference. It's not like they lost a series to Missouri or Alabama

MetEdDawg
03-24-2019, 08:43 PM
Florida will be good. Ton of Freshman playing and they started SEC play versus the top-2 teams in the conference. It's not like they lost a series to Missouri or Alabama

They are 16-10. 5 mid week losses and have really struggled to score runs against most teams with a pulse.

shoeless joe
03-24-2019, 09:28 PM
Enjoy the updates

Bodaski
03-24-2019, 09:47 PM
Lots of things being learned about teams today. That's the theme of today's post:

#5 Georgia beats #10 LSU 9-7. That's a series win for UGA. We learned they are legit and will push Vandy in the east. Learned that LSU just doesn't quite have the horses they usually do. Good, not great team.

#13 Texas A&M beats Kentucky 17-5. That's a series sweep in Lexington. Learning that early on, Texas A&M will be able to push in the west. They are 5-1 with a series win over Vandy already.

#18 Ole Miss loses to Missouri 8-5. That's a series loss and a bad one for the Rebel Bear Sharks. Learning that they are too inconsistent and don't have enough talent on offense or defense to compete.

#4 Louisville avoids a sweep at the hands of Georgia Tech with a 5-4 win. Louisville is going to hang around but they've got some issues on the weekend.

#20 East Carolina sweeps UCF with a Sunday score of 6-5. UCF has solid wins on their resume, so ECU continues to keep that win of ours looking good.

#19 Texas Tech lost to Stetson 7-5 today. That came on the heels of a Thursday-Saturday sweep of a ranked Michigan team. Bad loss, but that's still a good team.

#1 UCLA sweeps Arizona 3-1 by scoring 2 in the 8th today. Learning that UCLA has the horses to win it all. They don't hit it as well yet as they need to, but they can freaking pitch. Right now most well rounded club in the country.

#7 Oregon State takes 2 of 3 from Cal with a 10-5 win today. Learned that they might be a tad down but they will be hanging around. Good team.

#3 Stanford sweeps Utah with a 7-6 win. They have played well this year and will continue to remain in the Top 5. Sneaky team out west that will surprise a lot of people.

#6 NC State sweeps Miami with a 6-4 win today. They are 23-1 with a Sunday loss to a ranked FSU as their only blemish. They may be for real.

Off the radar since they played Thursday through Saturday, but #8 Vandy swept #14 Florida this weekend. Florida only managed 6 runs in 3 games and gave up 35 runs. This may be crazy to say, but I could see Florida missing a regional this year. They be lucky to get a 2 seed right now.

There's your update. We have the horses to compete folks. Bullpen and Sunday starters are issues. Would be shocked if we didn't see Plumlee start Sunday. Auburn is a solid baseball team and we very easily could have swept them this weekend if not for the bullpen crapping itself Friday night. We should stay #2 and get ready for another big series this weekend. Got to keep winning 2 out of 3. That's going to get us where we need to be and put us as national seed. Hail State folks. Enjoy this team. They are damn good.

It would help if we would not get in a high pitch count early with our Friday and Saturday starters, especially Friday's starter.

99jc
03-24-2019, 10:35 PM
Ethan Small wastes a lot of pitches with the high fastball when he has 2 strikes when the hitters lay off he goes to a lot of full counts.

Gutter Cobreh
03-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Ethan Small wastes a lot of pitches with the high fastball when he has 2 strikes when the hitters lay off he goes to a lot of full counts.

In his defense, we also haven't supported him with runs in his starts. That changes the way he has to approach batters.

Jarius
03-25-2019, 12:51 AM
In his defense, we also haven't supported him with runs in his starts. That changes the way he has to approach batters.

I am not sure where this myth got started, but it is not accurate. He has gotten at least 5 runs every start except 1. That is way more than most Friday night starters in this league get.

msbulldog
03-25-2019, 06:34 AM
Thanks MetEd.

BrunswickDawg
03-25-2019, 06:44 AM
I am not sure where this myth got started, but it is not accurate. He has gotten at least 5 runs every start except 1. That is way more than most Friday night starters in this league get.

That is not exactly true. We have scored 5 runs in each start, but while Small was still in the game, we have scored 0, 0, 2, 7, 2, and 5. In all but 1 of those 4 starts that we got him runs, they didn't occur until the 4 inning. So he is constantly pitching with no runs on the board.

Gutter Cobreh
03-25-2019, 08:29 AM

Not a myth. Brunswick provided you with a breakdown, but I'll also add a pitcher isn't 2-0 with a 1.75 ERA in 6 starts if he was getting run support. You don't have a low win total with that ERA if you're getting run support. You'd see a similar W-L record to Ginn, who is 6-0 with a 2.58 ERA in 6 starts. Ginn has pitched outstanding, but he is the one who has had the run support. Both are fantastic, but Small has been down right filthy so far!

That is not exactly true. We have scored 5 runs in each start, but while Small was still in the game, we have scored 0, 0, 2, 7, 2, and 5. In all but 1 of those 4 starts that we got him runs, they didn't occur until the 4 inning. So he is constantly pitching with no runs on the board.

I'd give you some rep., but I have to spread it around. Instead, I'll simply provide you with a public "thanks"!

Jarius
03-25-2019, 09:07 AM

Well I'm not worried about his W/L record. That is one of the most useless stats in baseball for a pitcher. The fact is we score plenty of runs in games where he pitches. He's a hoss and he doesn't need to change anything either.

Jarius
03-25-2019, 09:09 AM
Not a myth. Brunswick provided you with a breakdown, but I'll also add a pitcher isn't 2-0 with a 1.75 ERA in 6 starts if he was getting run support. You don't have a low win total with that ERA if you're getting run support. You'd see a similar W-L record to Ginn, who is 6-0 with a 2.58 ERA in 6 starts. Ginn has pitched outstanding, but he is the one who has had the run support. Both are fantastic, but Small has been down right filthy so far!

I'd give you some rep., but I have to spread it around. Instead, I'll simply provide you with a public "thanks"!

See above. Yea, if you're worried about a w/l record it matters. He's going up against everyone else's Friday night guy too, so while that guy is in the game the numbers are going to be down for our hitters most of the time. We find a way to get their ace out of the game and then we score plenty of runs. That is all that matters.

Tbonewannabe
03-25-2019, 09:14 AM
See above. Yea, if you're worried about a w/l record it matters. He's going up against everyone else's Friday night guy too, so while that guy is in the game the numbers are going to be down for our hitters most of the time. We find a way to get their ace out of the game and then we score plenty of runs. That is all that matters.

I think what they are saying is Small has a lot more pressure when he is pitching because it is rarely with a lead. It is a lot easier to pound the strike zone when you have a 3-5 run lead. Small is the best starter we have had since Dakota Hudson.

Jarius
03-25-2019, 09:19 AM
I think what they are saying is Small has a lot more pressure when he is pitching because it is rarely with a lead. It is a lot easier to pound the strike zone when you have a 3-5 run lead. Small is the best starter we have had since Dakota Hudson.

There is no doubt that the Friday night guy has more pressure. Pounding the strike zone constantly (because you have a big lead) is also going to cause you to give up more hits and runs. Pitching with a lead is awesome and there is nothing worse than a guy coming out there and walking people to let the other team back in it when you are up 8 runs. However, if he were pitching with us up 8 runs on a Sunday every week, his W/L record would be better but his ERA would probably be higher because he would throw way more pitches to hit.

BrunswickDawg
03-25-2019, 09:27 AM

Yes - this exactly.

Tbonewannabe
03-25-2019, 10:11 AM
There is no doubt that the Friday night guy has more pressure. Pounding the strike zone constantly (because you have a big lead) is also going to cause you to give up more hits and runs. Pitching with a lead is awesome and there is nothing worse than a guy coming out there and walking people to let the other team back in it when you are up 8 runs. However, if he were pitching with us up 8 runs on a Sunday every week, his W/L record would be better but his ERA would probably be higher because he would throw way more pitches to hit.

I just think it is more mentally exhausting for a pitcher when he is basically in a pitchers duel. It is similar to shooting free throws with less than 30 seconds left in a tie game vs shooting free throws in the first quarter or if you lead by 10 with 30 seconds left. It is the same mentality if a relief pitcher comes in with bases loaded. You can't afford a mistake so that is a high pressure situation. Basically Small is going through that only with 5 or 6 innings instead of 1 or 2 batters.

smootness
03-25-2019, 10:18 AM
Pounding the strike zone constantly (because you have a big lead) is also going to cause you to give up more hits and runs.

Well that's not true at all.

Gutter Cobreh
03-25-2019, 11:18 AM

No one is worried about w/l records, yet I included it to show you that with a 1.75 ERA - he isn't getting very much run support.

You've been presented with facts (by multiple posters) after replying that you weren't sure how this "myth" was started. It has been proven this narrative isn't a myth, but you fail to acknowledge. That's on you.

Jarius
03-25-2019, 12:28 PM
Well that's not true at all.

Well, yes it is. There is a difference in throwing strikes and mixing in waste pitches and hitters having to actually guess whether or not what you are throwing is going to be over the plate. If you are up with a big lead hitters know you are just going to groove some pitches because their coach does not want them walking people. You do not have to pitch around people when you have a lead. You do not have to nibble around the strike zone and try to be too fine. That is not to say that you do not want your pitchers to throw strikes. It is just a different approach on the mound when you are up big.

Jarius
03-25-2019, 12:35 PM
No one is worried about w/l records, yet I included it to show you that with a 1.75 ERA - he isn't getting very much run support.

You've been presented with facts (by multiple posters) after replying that you weren't sure how this "myth" was started. It has been proven this narrative isn't a myth, but you fail to acknowledge. That's on you.

Man, I truly apologize. I read the original statements about this wrong. We are basically in agreement. I was thinking that someone was bashing our offensive production in games he started. My bad. Ethan Small is the man and I never meant for anyone to think I felt differently. Just love our offense as well. He certainly has to pitch differently while he is in the game which ups his pitch counts.

smootness
03-25-2019, 12:44 PM
Well, yes it is. There is a difference in throwing strikes and mixing in waste pitches and hitters having to actually guess whether or not what you are throwing is going to be over the plate. If you are up with a big lead hitters know you are just going to groove some pitches because their coach does not want them walking people. You do not have to pitch around people when you have a lead. You do not have to nibble around the strike zone and try to be too fine. That is not to say that you do not want your pitchers to throw strikes. It is just a different approach on the mound when you are up big.

Why do teams not want their pitchers walking people with a lead?

Jarius
03-25-2019, 07:15 PM
Why do teams not want their pitchers walking people with a lead?

Because it is the easiest way to let the other team get back into the game. Make them earn it. Throw the ball over the plate and do not give in when you are up big. That leads to some easier pitches to hit, but it usually also eliminates the really big inning because walks are rally starters. Auburn (and us) on Sunday was not the norm. Both teams were just knocking the cover off the ball all day.

smootness
03-25-2019, 08:31 PM
Because it is the easiest way to let the other team get back into the game. Make them earn it. Throw the ball over the plate and do not give in when you are up big. That leads to some easier pitches to hit, but it usually also eliminates the really big inning because walks are rally starters. Auburn (and us) on Sunday was not the norm. Both teams were just knocking the cover off the ball all day.

Right, because walks lead to runs. You basically just said it yourself. Pounding the zone does not equal more runs allowed. It can if you're throwing meat but not if you're pitching well. If pounding the zone led to more runs allowed as a general rule, no coach would ever push for it in any scenario.

CadaverDawg
03-25-2019, 09:36 PM
Is nobody going to point out the little* fact that Small is pitching in the games where our hitters are facing an opponent's Ace, while Ginn is like a Friday night Ace but our hitters are facing opponent's Saturday guys. That's why Small gets less run support and why Ginn's record is better. If you moved Small to Sunday he probably is 6-0 with tremendous run support for obvious reasons.

Maybe someone mentioned this in the thread, but I missed it if so.

Commercecomet24
03-25-2019, 09:48 PM
Is nobody going to point out the little* fact that Small is pitching in the games where our hitters are facing an opponent's Ace, while Ginn is like a Friday night Ace but our hitters are facing opponent's Saturday guys. That's why Small gets less run support and why Ginn's record is better. If you moved Small to Sunday he probably is 6-0 with tremendous run support for obvious reasons.

This is the correct answer.

Jarius
03-25-2019, 11:19 PM
Right, because walks lead to runs. You basically just said it yourself. Pounding the zone does not equal more runs allowed. It can if you're throwing meat but not if you're pitching well. If pounding the zone led to more runs allowed as a general rule, no coach would ever push for it in any scenario.

Like I have already said, you throw different kind of strikes when you have a huge lead. You are not trying to be too fine with your pitches and you catch more of the plate as to ensure you are not walking batters. There is a difference in throwing strikes with a huge lead and throwing strikes in a tight game. There just is.

Jarius
03-25-2019, 11:20 PM

Exactly. I pointed that out a few pages back.

smootness
03-26-2019, 07:52 AM
Like I have already said, you throw different kind of strikes when you have a huge lead. You are not trying to be too fine with your pitches and you catch more of the plate as to ensure you are not walking batters. There is a difference in throwing strikes with a huge lead and throwing strikes in a tight game. There just is.

You said yourself there's nothing worse than a guy going out and walking people...'to let them back in it'...when you're up big. You are acknowledging that walking people is a great way to let a team back in a game...because walking people is a great way to give up runs.

If throwing more strikes leads to giving up more runs, then you want to avoid that. You want to avoid anything that will end up allowing more runs, no matter how much you're up. If you're up 8, you don't want to walk people...because you give up 4-5 runs and suddenly it's a game again. Same thing with throwing lazy strikes. If that leads to giving up 4-5 runs, you want to avoid it because suddenly it's a game again. Coaches always want their pitchers throwing strikes because throwing strikes is a better way to pitch and typically leads to fewer runs allowed. The reason they're even more insane about it with a big lead is because there's not even the same pressure that might lead to pitches out of the strike zone. The pitcher can relax and just throw strikes.

Jarius
03-26-2019, 02:12 PM
You said yourself there's nothing worse than a guy going out and walking people...'to let them back in it'...when you're up big. You are acknowledging that walking people is a great way to let a team back in a game...because walking people is a great way to give up runs.

If throwing more strikes leads to giving up more runs, then you want to avoid that. You want to avoid anything that will end up allowing more runs, no matter how much you're up. If you're up 8, you don't want to walk people...because you give up 4-5 runs and suddenly it's a game again. Same thing with throwing lazy strikes. If that leads to giving up 4-5 runs, you want to avoid it because suddenly it's a game again. Coaches always want their pitchers throwing strikes because throwing strikes is a better way to pitch and typically leads to fewer runs allowed. The reason they're even more insane about it with a big lead is because there's not even the same pressure that might lead to pitches out of the strike zone. The pitcher can relax and just throw strikes.

There is a difference in the type of strikes that need to be thrown when you are up 8 or 9 runs and the type of strikes that need to be thrown when it is a tight game. Not every strike is the same. Yes, if you have someone that can locate like Greg Maddox, he is naturally going to be able to hit the corners no matter the score. When you have college pitchers, you tell them to throw it over the plate and make them hit it when it is a ten run game. Don’t try to paint the corners as much. If it’s a 2-0 or 3-1 count with no one on, throw a strike and see if they can hit it to the seal complex. 70 % of the time they are going to hit it to someone for an out. I am not trying to insult you, but I can promise you this is how it is all the way up to this level.

Jarius
03-26-2019, 02:35 PM
“It’s different when it’s a [close] ballgame. You don’t think about pitch count as much; it’s just about getting outs. It’s a different situation with more runs. Maybe you take a shot at throwing some more-hittable pitches to get some quick outs. But not in a one-run ballgame.”- Justin Verlander

As a reliever, when you come in with a big lead, it’s about throwing strikes. You don’t want to be throwing to the edges of the plate. You’re working more middle and aren’t as concerned about giving up a run or two. You’re still pitching, but you’re not throwing a 3-1 breaking ball with a six-run lead in the eighth inning.”- Alex Avila

Nathan Eovaldi, New York Yankees pitcher: “I try not to think about the score, but when we’re up by five or six runs, I will attack hitters a little differently. I’ll attack more. It’s the same with holding runners — that type of deal. Up until then, I treat the game like it’s 0-0.”

Michael Fulmer, Detroit Tigers pitcher: “If I’m up by a bunch of runs, I’m going to pound the zone with fastballs. I’m going to try to get quicks outs to get my team back in the dugout. I’m not going to nitpick. You don’t want to give guys bases, so if a home run comes, you want it to be a solo shot. You don’t want it to be a two- or three-run homer, especially after a big inning from your teammates.

“You want to put zeroes up on the scoreboard, but at the same time, my main goal is to win the game. If we’re up 10-0 in the seventh inning, and I give up four runs, we’re probably still going to win. I obviously don’t want to give up runs, but I’m going to fill up the zone and go as deep into the game as I can.”

Jesse Hahn, Oakland Athletics pitcher: “I rely on my power sinker, so if I have a big lead, I’m definitely going to come out and be aggressive and try to get swings and have them put the ball in play. I wouldn’t want to pitch around guys, I would want to attack them and fill up the strike zone.”

Michael Wacha, St. Louis Cardinals pitcher: “There’s a difference between pitching in a game like the one on TV [the Cubs leading the Marlins 11-0] and a game that’s 1-0. The mindset is different. You don’t want to be tip-toeing and walking guys when you have a big lead. You want to fill up the strike zone. Of course, you also want be able to bear down when you need to.

“You don’t want to mess around and get behind guys. Giving up free base-runners is never good, and that’s especially true with a big lead. I’ll attack more, to be sure.”

Gutter Cobreh
03-26-2019, 08:14 PM

Let's take a look at the numbers for Small's starts so far this year:

Youngstown State - we didn't score until the 6th inning. The opposing pitcher, Colin Clark, is currently 0-3 w/ a 6.32 ERA.

Southern Miss - we didn't score at all that game. The opposing pitcher, Walker Powell, is 2-0 w/ a 2.12 ERA.

Sam Houston - we scored 2 in the 4th, blew the lead in 6th. The opposing pitcher, Hayden Westneski, is 4-0 w/ 2.89 ERA.

Maine - we didn't score until the 5th inning. The opposing pitcher, Nick Silva, is 1-3 w/ 5.40 ERA.

Florida - we didn't score until the 5th inning. The opposing pitcher, Tommy Mace, is 4-2 w/ 3.99 ERA.

Auburn - we scored 4 in the 1st inning, lost the game. Opposing pitcher, Tanner Burns, is 3-0 w/ 1.41 ERA.

The Friday starter typically goes against the #1 pitcher from the opposing team, but we haven't supported Small with runs. His win/loss record should be better than 2-0 as those stats from the opposing teams aren't aces.

Also, this discussion regarding Small only started because some said he allowed his pitch counts to get high because he wastes pitches. The rebuttal to that was that he has to pitch carefully because he isn't getting run support. We weren't debating who he was pitching against, but thought I'd show you in his 6 starts we aren't facing 1st round MLB arms at this point in the schedule.

Jarius
03-27-2019, 01:07 AM
Let's take a look at the numbers for Small's starts so far this year:

Youngstown State - we didn't score until the 6th inning. The opposing pitcher, Colin Clark, is currently 0-3 w/ a 6.32 ERA.

Southern Miss - we didn't score at all that game. The opposing pitcher, Walker Powell, is 2-0 w/ a 2.12 ERA.

Sam Houston - we scored 2 in the 4th, blew the lead in 6th. The opposing pitcher, Hayden Westneski, is 4-0 w/ 2.89 ERA.

Maine - we didn't score until the 5th inning. The opposing pitcher, Nick Silva, is 1-3 w/ 5.40 ERA.

Florida - we didn't score until the 5th inning. The opposing pitcher, Tommy Mace, is 4-2 w/ 3.99 ERA.

Auburn - we scored 4 in the 1st inning, lost the game. Opposing pitcher, Tanner Burns, is 3-0 w/ 1.41 ERA.

The Friday starter typically goes against the #1 pitcher from the opposing team, but we haven't supported Small with runs. His win/loss record should be better than 2-0 as those stats from the opposing teams aren't aces.

Also, this discussion regarding Small only started because some said he allowed his pitch counts to get high because he wastes pitches. The rebuttal to that was that he has to pitch carefully because he isn't getting run support. We weren't debating who he was pitching against, but thought I'd show you in his 6 starts we aren't facing 1st round MLB arms at this point in the schedule.

Tommy Mace and Burns are first round talents and Sam Houston State?s ace has an ERA of 2.89 (who everyone knew was really good)as you pointed out, and USMs ace has an eRA if just over 2. He is not getting run support mostly because he is throwing against really good pitchers, and your breakdown just proved that.

BuckyIsAB****
03-27-2019, 10:09 AM
Auburn is pretty good. They were the best team we've played so far IMO. Dont forget they were winners of 15 in a row coming into the series

CadaverDawg
03-27-2019, 10:36 AM
Tommy Mace and Burns are first round talents and Sam Houston State?s ace has an ERA of 2.89 (who everyone knew was really good)as you pointed out, and USMs ace has an eRA if just over 2. He is not getting run support mostly because he is throwing against really good pitchers, and your breakdown just proved that.

Yep

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-27-2019, 03:39 PM
Auburn is pretty good. They were the best team we've played so far IMO. Dont forget they were winners of 15 in a row coming into the series

And they had their fantastic Saturday starter injured. We'd have still won that game because they didn't score much, but it would have saved a few innings of pitching and that might have won the Sunday

basedog
03-27-2019, 03:43 PM
And they had their fantastic Saturday starter injured. We'd have still won that game because they didn't score much, but it would have saved a few innings of pitching and that might have won the Sunday

Naw, we are the better club, there is no "what if's", only those that lose.