PDA

View Full Version : Auburn advancing further reiterates why our men's team under performed this year.

Saltydog
03-24-2019, 09:46 AM
They were a little better in the backcourt but we definitely were better up front and overall I thought we had the better and more balanced team yet here they are in the Sweet 16 while Howland and company are emptying the locker room.

Make all the excuses you want, but there's no denying this team did not meet expectations.

Liverpool to the rescue in 3,2,1....

CadaverDawg
03-24-2019, 09:54 AM
While we recruit about as well....they have a better coach. I like Ben, but that's just the truth at his current point in his career. (And in no way am I saying he should be fired). They also peaked at the right time this year, which can also be attributed some to coaching. This isn't the same Auburn team we faced at home earlier in conference play.

So yeah, I agree that we underachieved a little, but Pearl has Auburn overachieving right now too. Their confidence is sky high. They're fun to watch, unfortunately

Saltydog
03-24-2019, 10:01 AM
While we recruit about as well....they have a better coach. I like Ben, but that's just the truth at his current point in his career. (And in no way am I saying he should be fired). They also peaked at the right time this year, which can also be attributed some to coaching. This isn't the same Auburn team we faced at home earlier in conference play.

So yeah, I agree that we underachieved a little, but Pearl has Auburn overachieving right now too. Their confidence is sky high. They're fun to watch, unfortunately

Agree with everything you said CD. It's just frustrating but hey, "we made the tourney for the first time in 10 years". You know it's coming.

CadaverDawg
03-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Agree with everything you said CD. It's just frustrating but hey, "we made the tourney for the first time in 10 years". You know it's coming.

Very frustrating. And yes, you can prepare for the clown car to pull up, haha

basedog
03-24-2019, 10:04 AM
Auburn is way better inside than us, more athletic, fact is they are a much quicker up and down team that shoots well and rebounds. They are a very dangerous team right now.

Tn, Ky, Lsu and Au all have good chances of advancing, one or two may make the final four.

I ain't giving Peral any love, dude is a solid cheater who covers up his fake character. No way should coaches like him be in the college game although there are so many now days!

He suppose his personality makes him a "darling" on TV. Good coach yes, but a better cheater!

basedog
03-24-2019, 10:08 AM
Very frustrating. And yes, you can prepare for the clown car to pull up, haha

Why you so mad? You are very defensive and critical and a lot lately. Clown car, really?

Just asking? Not hating on you so you will no!

CadaverDawg
03-24-2019, 10:19 AM
Why you so mad? You are very defensive and critical and a lot lately. Clown car, really?

Just asking? Not hating on you so you will no!

Referring to a particular poster, not you. And I am not mad at all....very relaxed and having fun, enjoying the discussion. Was having fun with Salty, bc he and I share the same experience with a particular poster. No need to worry about me, I assure you

Gutter Cobreh
03-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Referring to a particular poster, not you. And I am not mad at all....very relaxed and having fun, enjoying the discussion. Was having fun with Salty, bc he and I share the same experience with a particular poster. No need to worry about me, I assure you

Paging Ari Gold, you're needed on aisle 3... CadaverDawg is speaking ill on the basketball team's accomplishment of making the big dance.***

Don't let the fact that we lost to Liberty on a national stage cloud your defense.

basedog
03-24-2019, 10:50 AM

We did sh*t in the bed against Liberty. But we played tight down the stretch and they were lose and got hot and lucky. Here is the deal with this lose, Liberty has different type personality players than us. I'm not going to get into more thoughts on this but they do have talent with guys who over achieved.

I've seen way more Msu basketball than most on here, history does tell who we are, we can win and have success but never like the ?lites as we will never be one. Howland is a fresh of air compared to what we have seen the last decade. I just hope he recruits more tough guys like Woodard!

CadaverDawg
03-24-2019, 11:47 AM
We did sh*t in the bed against Liberty. But we played tight down the stretch and they were lose and got hot and lucky. Here is the deal with this lose, Liberty has different type personality players than us. I'm not going to get into more thoughts on this but they do have talent with guys who over achieved.

I've seen way more Msu basketball than most on here, history does tell who we are, we can win and have success but never like the ?lites as we will never be one. Howland is a fresh of air compared to what we have seen the last decade. I just hope he recruits more tough guys like Woodard!

I disagree with your second paragraph. History doesn't define you....see MSU women's hoops, and MSU football under Mullen. I bet in the 70's & 80's you never dreamed we'd be a football program one day that would go to 10 straight bowls, play in an Orange Bowl, Win 10 games in a season, etc.

That's why I don't like Liverpool's mindset...If you never think you can be better than your history, you never will be. When you accept mediocrity, don't be surprised when that's all you ever get.

But that's just me.

I'll enjoy the ride either way, but you play to win it all. No team starts the season without that goal in mind, so why should we be any different just bc our history doesn't show a national championship? Doesn't mean you can't have great seasons without a natty, but the natty is still the goal each year when you lace em up. It's that "poor ole State never has, so they never will" mindset that drives me insane.

MarketingBully
03-24-2019, 11:52 AM
Auburn is way better inside than us, more athletic, fact is they are a much quicker up and down team that shoots well and rebounds. They are a very dangerous team right now.

Tn, Ky, Lsu and Au all have good chances of advancing, one or two may make the final four.

I ain't giving Peral any love, dude is a solid cheater who covers up his fake character. No way should coaches like him be in the college game although there are so many now days!

He suppose his personality makes him a "darling" on TV. Good coach yes, but a better cheater!

Auburn is better inside then us? Are you serious? You lost me on that point alone.

Ari Gold
03-24-2019, 11:53 AM
Paging Ari Gold, you're needed on aisle 3... CadaverDawg is speaking ill on the basketball team's accomplishment of making the big dance.***

Don't let the fact that we lost to Liberty on a national stage cloud your defense.

No defense needed...
we better lock CBH up and hope he doesn’t look elsewhere ..

Ari Gold
03-24-2019, 11:54 AM
Auburn is better inside then us? Are you serious? You lost me on that point alone.

Outside of Q . Not one of our starting 5 would start for Auburn . So yes they are better than us

dawgs
03-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Auburn also should've lost to New Mexico st on Thursday. NMSU passes up an open layup to tie to game for a deep 3 to win it, gets fouled shooting the 3, but misses 2 of 3 FTs. Auburn didn't win that game so much as NMSU lost it.

MarketingBully
03-24-2019, 12:03 PM
They were a little better in the backcourt but we definitely were better up front and overall I thought we had the better and more balanced team yet here they are in the Sweet 16 while Howland and company are emptying the locker room.

Make all the excuses you want, but there's no denying this team did not meet expectations.

Liverpool to the rescue in 3,2,1....

This is exactly right. We both recruited the same. We have similar guard play to Auburn and a much better inside game. The biggest difference I can see is Pearl actually plays a style that takes advantage of the athletes he has. Howland is content just to play man to man and let teams run their offense, contest shots, and rebound. Pearl has a much more aggressive style which turns teams over and leads to more transition opportunities. Their defense is more in the passing lanes and disrupts offensive sets. That style imo would work better with the athletes we have. Pearl is a much better coach then Howland too imo. Hell, I think Davis is a better coach then Howland but Howland is the superior recruiter. A number of coaches could take the talent we have on this team to the tournament but he should get credit for getting the talent here.

timotheus
03-24-2019, 12:05 PM
If state could somehow trick me and make me think they could play with the intensity and sense of urgency as Auburn or UT, I might feel different.

MarketingBully
03-24-2019, 12:06 PM
Outside of Q . Not one of our starting 5 would start for Auburn . So yes they are better than us

Our front court is much better then Auburn’s. Ado and Perry would start for Auburn. Hell, Pearl wanted Ado bad and you saying they wouldn’t start a McDonald’s AA at their 4 is pretty fresh.

MarketingBully
03-24-2019, 12:19 PM

They have McLemore and Okeke as their 4 and 5. Perry and Ado would start in their front court. They beat us by 5 at the place because they hit 13 threes to our 10. We outrebounded them by 20 and Pearl was quoted saying he didn?t want to face us again this year. We have the better front court period.

basedog
03-24-2019, 12:43 PM
I disagree with your second paragraph. History doesn't define you....see MSU women's hoops, and MSU football under Mullen. I bet in the 70's & 80's you never dreamed we'd be a football program one day that would go to 10 straight bowls, play in an Orange Bowl, Win 10 games in a season, etc.

That's why I don't like Liverpool's mindset...If you never think you can be better than your history, you never will be. When you accept mediocrity, don't be surprised when that's all you ever get.

But that's just me.

I'll enjoy the ride either way, but you play to win it all. No team starts the season without that goal in mind, so why should we be any different just bc our history doesn't show a national championship? Doesn't mean you can't have great seasons without a natty, but the natty is still the goal each year when you lace em up. It's that "poor ole State never has, so they never will" mindset that drives me insane.

Well when Bob Tyler became HC I thought "oh boy we have our Johnny Vaught"! So yes I had one you once have now. LOL
Didn't say we can't win, said we will never be elite like Ky in Basketball and Bama in football.

Yes on women's basketball, we are elite but let's hope when Vic decides to give up Coaching at Msu our replacement can carry what he built!

Lastly, I would rather have fans like Liver than the one that sits in our section in football who brings his young boys to games. This dude is a disagrace to sports period! Yells with angry and is bad example for his kids! Needs his ass kicked.

Liver has passion who may wear Maroon sunglasses but at least he is able to attend games and supports the teams. He ain't the reason we loose games nor are the naysayers.

basedog
03-24-2019, 12:47 PM

Big +1, Auburn killed Kansas in the paint and as we saw shot the lights out from outside.

Our bigs Perry, Holman and Ado were invisible against Liberty and any physical team inside.

My concern for Howland is how motivated he is with his age going forward. Msu is a tough place to win, I sure hope he wants 4 more years and we give him an extension!

turkish
03-24-2019, 01:05 PM
In March, if you aren’t overachieving, you ARE underachieving.

To overachieve is the expectation, at this point in the season.

BayouDawg
03-24-2019, 03:21 PM
I love Howland but I just feel like we never have an offensive identity. We just kind of pass the ball around the permimeter for 20 seconds then try 1 on 5 in the last 10 seconds of the shot clock.

Dawg2003
03-24-2019, 04:15 PM
We lost to Liberty for effs sake. There is literally nothing left to say.

Ari Gold
03-24-2019, 07:21 PM
They have McLemore and Okeke as their 4 and 5. Perry and Ado would start in their front court. They beat us by 5 at the place because they hit 13 threes to our 10. We outrebounded them by 20 and Pearl was quoted saying he didnt want to face us again this year. We have the better front court period.

If we could play tomorrow, not next year , but tomorrow you are telling me you would take Perry and Ado over McLemore and a furue pro in Okeke? Ok
And this isnt a dig at Ado and Perry. I have been singing Ado praises all year , and Im one of the very few. I think Perry could be All Sec and a Pro if he puts in the work . Both will be better next year and may have better careers than both the Aub guys.
But come on man ... you put McLemore and Okeke with our other 3 right now we are a much better team. Thats easy to see. Hell Wiley is a pro if he could stay healthy ..

And yes it was a disappointing season.But if you had told me that Holman wouldnt be starting after half the season, we wouldnt have Nick the last 8-9 games and Lamar arguably would have his worse season of his career, I wouldnt have thought we even made the NIT.

MarketingBully
03-24-2019, 07:36 PM
If we could play tomorrow, not next year , but tomorrow you are telling me you would take Perry and Ado over McLemore and a furue pro in Okeke? Ok
And this isnt a dig at Ado and Perry. I have been singing Ado praises all year , and Im one of the very few. I think Perry could be All Sec and a Pro if he puts in the work . Both will be better next year and may have better careers than both the Aub guys.
But come on man ... you put McLemore and Okeke with our other 3 right now we are a much better team. Thats easy to see. Hell Wiley is a pro if he could stay healthy ..

And yes it was a disappointing season.But if you had told me that Holman wouldnt be starting after half the season, we wouldnt have Nick the last 8-9 games and Lamar arguably would have his worse season of his career, I wouldnt have thought we even made the NIT.

I’d take Ado and Perry everyday over McLemore and Okeke. We should have swept Auburn. It took them making 13 threes to beat us by five at their place. And Perry has much more potential as a future pro then Okeke does. We out rebounded them by 20 at their place.

dantheman4248
03-24-2019, 07:37 PM
No defense needed...
we better lock CBH up and hope he doesn?t look elsewhere ..

This sentiment and the fact that this basketball team underachieved are not mutually exclusive. They?re actually both true.

Gutter Cobreh
03-24-2019, 10:38 PM
No defense needed...
we better lock CBH up and hope he doesn?t look elsewhere ..

Davis took Ole Miss to the tournament in his first year.... I'm not calling for Howland to be relieved of his duties, but not all coaching hires turn out like the one we had with Ray Ray. At the same time, I wouldn't be backing up the Brinks truck to keep Howland should he decide to look around...

MarketingBully
03-24-2019, 10:59 PM
Davis took Ole Miss to the tournament in his first year.... I'm not calling for Howland to be relieved of his duties, but not all coaching hires turn out like the one we had with Ray Ray. At the same time, I wouldn't be backing up the Brinks truck to keep Howland should he decide to look around...

I don’t think he will. He already said he didn’t want to go to another rebuild. I think we get him until he retires. I don’t think any blue bloods will be after him.

Ari Gold
03-25-2019, 06:28 AM

And that roster at OM was still not too bad
2 all sec players in Davis and tryeee
And a very good PG
Did they over achieve? Yes
Did Kermit do a great job there ? Yes

Ari Gold
03-25-2019, 05:43 PM
I’d take Ado and Perry everyday over McLemore and Okeke. We should have swept Auburn. It took them making 13 threes to beat us by five at their place. And Perry has much more potential as a future pro then Okeke does. We out rebounded them by 20 at their place.

Again not a jab at Perry or Ado
Okeke > Perry .. He is listed right now as a possible late 1st round player will for sure go in the 2nd . If Perry continues to work and get better yes he might end up being better

And damn Ado is finally getting some love on here from someone besides me... but saying that , right now MCLemore is a better all around player. And He isn’t even the best F/C on the team that’s Wiley if he could stay healthy..

So as I said right now the only player from our team that would start for Auburn would be Q. And of you want to start Ado over Mclemaore I will give ya that....