PDA

View Full Version : Last night

CadaverDawg
03-23-2019, 12:16 PM
Is why so many people get frustrated when our teams are winning ugly during the regular season....if you aren't improving the things you aren't good at, you won't be able to achieve the ultimate goals.

Too many of our fans want to jump on people that discuss things we aren't good at that we need to improve. You say things like "we're a 5 seed and y'all are being critical?", etc....Well now you see why. Because these people know that if you have guys jacking up bad shots, turning it over, playing uninspired, etc, it will likely follow you into the postseason and can ultimately end your season. Does that mean you can't enjoy a season like this one? No. But maybe some of you messageboard policemen will understand where criticisms may come from now.

The reason people invest time and money into baseball and women's basketball is because those teams play inspired ball and are always looking to Improve. They take constructive criticism and try to get better...not get on social media and blame fans or cry about not getting a pat on the back after they underperform. That's also why they're the two most likely sports to win a National Championship at MSU.

So before you start shredding posters for saying "we play uninspired", "this team isn't getting better week to week", etc....please keep in mind that the person saying that isn't saying the team sucks, or that they aren't glad we're going to make the tourney....they're just wanting to see the team win games in the tourney, and they know they won't if they don't improve in certain areas.

Just my opinion of course, I'm sure I'll get tons of push back. And that's fine, y'all have a good day.

Hopefully the baseball team will get a series win and the women will continue their journey for a Title.

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I don’t understand the melt over the baseball loss last night. Baseball is weird. We just won twice this week the way Auburn beat us last night. My first thought when we scored 4 runs in the first was oh no this is going to boomerang. And sure enough it did. That’s baseball. To be elite in a sport that is as unpredictable as baseball can be annoying.

Jacksondevildog
03-23-2019, 12:25 PM
The team has been flawed all year. They go on long scoreless spurts and long lack of defensive effort spurts. They have blown leads at the end of halves all year long. Holman went MIA for half of the season. Nick was suspended for around a month. Howland would forget to play Perry or Woodard at times when other teams couldn't stop them. The back half of our schedule was fools gold and we did take advantage of it. Howland allows his guys to play uninspired and not hustle at times. That's on him. He's 60 and doesn't have the fire that he once had. Hell, I don't even remember him getting T'd up in his career here. The players know that they can get away with lack of effort at times and they aren't coming out.

HoopsDawg
03-23-2019, 12:36 PM
Very good post C-Dawg. And we didn't win against a good team after Nick got suspended.

The little things that you can overcome against the UGA's and Texas A&M's are going to get you beat in the NCAAT every single time. Poor shot selection, bad decisions against screens, careless entry passes, and not finishing at the rim. An inspired, hungry coach stresses these things and is never satisfied even in victory.

CadaverDawg
03-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Very good post C-Dawg. And we didn't win against a good team after Nick got suspended.

The little things that you can overcome against the UGA's and Texas A&M's are going to get you beat in the NCAAT every single time. Poor shot selection, bad decisions against screens, careless entry passes, and not finishing at the rim. An inspired, hungry coach stresses these things and is never satisfied even in victory.

I agree 100%. You said it perfectly

99jc
03-23-2019, 12:43 PM
It was that they blew a 5 run lead with our ace. Not hard to get frustrated.

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 12:43 PM
The team has been flawed all year. They go on long scoreless spurts and long lack of defensive effort spurts. They have blown leads at the end of halves all year long. Holman went MIA for half of the season. Nick was suspended for around a month. Howland would forget to play Perry or Woodard at times when other teams couldn't stop them. The back half of our schedule was fools gold and we did take advantage of it. Howland allows his guys to play uninspired and not hustle at times. That's on him. He's 60 and doesn't have the fire that he once had. Hell, I don't even remember him getting T'd up in his career here. The players know that they can get away with lack of effort at times and they aren't coming out.

Don’t forget the time they forgot Peters’ number in a game and we couldn’t start him. Forget which game it was but they had 1 starting and not 2 which forced us to start Perry and not Peters or we would have gotten a Tech. I think it was at Kentucky. Also, Howland ****ed up our travel for the Las Vegas tourney and we were late and tired before we played Arizona State. Or we didn’t do the necessary preparations for the Georgia trip and miscalculated our hotel arrangements then and had to be booted out of the hotel early. Top to bottom this team underachieved from the coaching staff to the players. I’d say Howland is way past his prime.

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 12:46 PM
It was that they blew a 5 run lead with our ace. Not hard to get frustrated.

It was 5-2 when Small went out but we had plenty of chances to expand the lead. Sometimes baseball is weird and balls fall and it comes down to inches. We just won two games in the previous week the same way Auburn beat us. Sometimes that’s how baseball is...

Jacksondevildog
03-23-2019, 12:52 PM
These issues cannot be overstated enough. It's lack of organization to a degree from the top down. I like Howland, and I'm glad that we got him, but there are multiple red flags.

Don’t forget the time they forgot Peters’ number in a game and we couldn’t start him. Forget which game it was but they had 1 starting and not 2 which forced us to start Perry and not Peters or we would have gotten a Tech. I think it was at Kentucky. Also, Howland ****ed up our travel for the Las Vegas tourney and we were late and tired before we played Arizona State. Or we didn’t do the necessary preparations for the Georgia trip and miscalculated our hotel arrangements then and had to be booted out of the hotel early. Top to bottom this team underachieved from the coaching staff to the players. I’d say Howland is way past his prime.

BuckyIsAB****
03-23-2019, 01:19 PM
Our mens basketball team has a culture problem. Maybe it will be improved with graduation and departures but I doubt it

Jacksondevildog
03-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Sometimes there is addition by subtraction. Hopefully, this is the case for next year. PG is a glaring concern.

BankerDog
03-23-2019, 01:33 PM
Don?t forget the time they forgot Peters? number in a game and we couldn?t start him. Forget which game it was but they had 1 starting and not 2 which forced us to start Perry and not Peters or we would have gotten a Tech. I think it was at Kentucky. Also, Howland ****ed up our travel for the Las Vegas tourney and we were late and tired before we played Arizona State. Or we didn?t do the necessary preparations for the Georgia trip and miscalculated our hotel arrangements then and had to be booted out of the hotel early. Top to bottom this team underachieved from the coaching staff to the players. I?d say Howland is way past his prime.

This isn't high school bud...coaches don't make the travel arrangements or book the hotels in college athletics. This proves to me that half of our message board fanbase is absolutely clueless on how college athletic programs are ran "from top to bottom".

BankerDog
03-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Our mens basketball team has a culture problem. Maybe it will be improved with graduation and departures but I doubt it

This isn't football or baseball where you have guys in a program for three to four years...Q and Holman are the exceptions, not the rule. If you know how dirty college basketball recruiting is, you'd know those issues likely carry over into a lockeroom. You know why our SRs Howland's first year hated Malik? Because the guy always ran his mouth about his accolades all the time but would got killed all the time in the intra squad games. It also doesn't help when his dad would walk into the locker room before games with shoe boxes full of money from agents.

You guys have to understand the kids being recruited in basketball are different from baseball and football. Most of the top ranked guys have been getting paid since they were in the 8th grade and told how good they are. They are always on the road in the summers and are free to do whatever they want because of who they are. When you can get the ones who are legitimately ball players plus they have the work ethic, then you're on to something but those are the hardest to get.

We need to get rid of Zigler and McCorey. I know we hired McCorey because of his connections to the Atlanta Celtics, but we have not once pulled a player from that AAU team. Zigler has done nothing for us. People wanna gripe about Brooks...Brooks is the best recruiter on the staff and is the reason we have had the recruiting classes we have had lately.

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 01:45 PM
This isn't high school bud...coaches don't make the travel arrangements or book the hotels in college athletics. This proves to me that half of our message board fanbase is absolutely clueless on how college athletic programs are ran "from top to bottom".

Then why did Howland admit to all of it saying it was his fault? The buck stopped with him. He even explained every detail in each **** up that I mentioned and where the **** up happened.

BankerDog
03-23-2019, 01:48 PM
Then why did Howland admit to all of it saying it was his fault? The buck stopped with him. He even explained every detail in each **** up that I mentioned and where the **** up happened.

Because he didn't want to throw his boss and boss' staff under the bus?? If you really think Moorhead, Lemonis, Vic, and any of the other coaches schedule their hotel rooms and bus rides/flights...you're an idiot.

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Because he didn't want to throw his boss and boss' staff under the bus?? If you really think Moorhead, Lemonis, Vic, and any of the other coaches schedule their hotel rooms and bus rides/flights...you're an idiot.

So the AD staff writes out who our starting five is before the game? That’s a new one. Oh and the Director of Basketball Operations handles all of the travel and what not and also answers to Howland not JC. He’s part of the Basketball staff. Looks like you’re the idiot there.

Jacksondevildog
03-23-2019, 02:02 PM
The buck still stops with the head coach. No matter what.

So the AD staff writes out who our starting five is before the game? That’s a new one. Oh and the Director of Basketball Operations handles all of the travel and what not and also answers to Howland not JC. He’s part of the Basketball staff. Looks like you’re the idiot there.

The Federalist Engineer
03-23-2019, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I don’t understand the melt over the baseball loss last night. Baseball is weird. We just won twice this week the way Auburn beat us last night. My first thought when we scored 4 runs in the first was oh no this is going to boomerang. And sure enough it did. That’s baseball. To be elite in a sport that is as unpredictable as baseball can be annoying.

This was game-2 versus Arizona in the 2016 Super Regional all over again. The Auburn starter settled down and their pen just took control. Almost exactly- very painful loss

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 10:50 PM
This was game-2 versus Arizona in the 2016 Super Regional all over again. The Auburn starter settled down and their pen just took control. Almost exactly- very painful loss

Win tomorrow and win the series and it’s not a big deal. We practically have our entire bullpen for tomorrow. Auburn is running on fumes on their staff. I’d take where we are. We are definitely in the advantage for the game tomorrow.

Dawgcap
03-23-2019, 11:00 PM
Yep I agree. And Weber and Self suck as coaches also

Dawgcap
03-23-2019, 11:01 PM
For the uninformed that is the Big 12 and 4 seed from Kansas

Dawgcap
03-23-2019, 11:02 PM
Big 12 champions

Homedawg
03-24-2019, 08:15 AM

Are you trying to imply the AD and or his staff gets the hotel and meals for each sport? If so, you are the incorrect one. The sports ops direction in each sport, for the most part is in charge of all of that.

sleepy dawg
03-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Like you grow weary of the team, some of us grow weary of hearing about it. It's the repetitiveness that just gets old I guess. Some of the unsupportive posts for the team make a lot of sense. Others are repetitive, overblown, and come from people who generally are never happy about anything; People who find ways to bitch and complain about baseball and women's basketball all too frequently too.

Think back over the last decade of MSU sports and how many seasons of each sport you've been happy to watch and are genuinely satisfied with. If that number is like 1 or 2 combined, then you're just an unhappy and negative person and will just always bring others down to your level of misery. Watching sports is supposed to be fun. For fanatics, its filled with emotions of all kinds. If your only emotions are negative ones than you should be doing something different. If the only way you can be satisfied with a season is a national championship than your goals are set too high, even in baseball and women's basketball. Watching MSU isn't healthy for you (and this is not talking about you Cadaver).

I'm not saying the goal isn't a championship. I'm just saying every season shouldn't be a failure and a complete disappointment. Enjoy the good ones even if they're not the great ones. We just don't get that damn many. Being miserable and mad all the time hasn't gotten us anything extra except maybe a heart attack.

mparkerfd20
03-24-2019, 09:14 AM
Howland is on cruise control. Love the guy, and he's still a decent to good coach but lacks the fire to be a good to great coach. This has been pretty obvious for the more than casual fan pretty much since getting here. His MO has never been that he was a great Xs and Os guy, but rather an above average recruiter and player's coach. Honestly, that was probably what we needed to get us back to respectability. I'm not sure he possesses the fire to take us much further, but I can live with him coaching another 2 or so years to find out.

MarketingBully
03-24-2019, 09:41 AM
Howland is on cruise control. Love the guy, and he's still a decent to good coach but lacks the fire to be a good to great coach. This has been pretty obvious for the more than casual fan pretty much since getting here. His MO has never been that he was a great Xs and Os guy, but rather an above average recruiter and player's coach. Honestly, that was probably what we needed to get us back to respectability. I'm not sure he possesses the fire to take us much further, but I can live with him coaching another 2 or so years to find out.

He’s okay. He’s not nearly the coach he was though. He’s gone soft. The only way his teams will ever over achieve at this point in his career is if he has alpha dog players who lead his teams. Q and Holman weren’t those guys. Maybe some leaders like that emerge for next year’s team. Who knows?

CadaverDawg
03-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Like you grow weary of the team, some of us grow weary of hearing about it. It's the repetitiveness that just gets old I guess. Some of the unsupportive posts for the team make a lot of sense. Others are repetitive, overblown, and come from people who generally are never happy about anything; People who find ways to bitch and complain about baseball and women's basketball all too frequently too.

Think back over the last decade of MSU sports and how many seasons of each sport you've been happy to watch and are genuinely satisfied with. If that number is like 1 or 2 combined, then you're just an unhappy and negative person and will just always bring others down to your level of misery. Watching sports is supposed to be fun. For fanatics, its filled with emotions of all kinds. If your only emotions are negative ones than you should be doing something different. If the only way you can be satisfied with a season is a national championship than your goals are set too high, even in baseball and women's basketball. Watching MSU isn't healthy for you (and this is not talking about you Cadaver).

I'm not saying the goal isn't a championship. I'm just saying every season shouldn't be a failure and a complete disappointment. Enjoy the good ones even if they're not the great ones. We just don't get that damn many. Being miserable and mad all the time hasn't gotten us anything extra except maybe a heart attack.

Very fair points. And you're right, some do go to the extreme where it seems they never enjoy anything. Others, like me, are super pumped about every win, and take some losses harder than we should. That being said, I'm totally fine if those people of all types want to vent on a board of fellow fans...we're all family so better to vent and be critical here than anywhere else I guess. Whether good, bad, positive, negative, sunshine pumping, bitching, whining, etc....they're ours. Just like a crazy aunt, drunk uncle, happy go lucky cousin, old fart grandad....it takes all kinds to have a family. Thanks for the post, and if you want a good laugh try to put the EliteDawgs equivalent of the family members I just listed.