PDA

View Full Version : How will the men?s basketball team look

Dawgology
03-22-2019, 08:55 PM
Next year without Q?s 20 ppg and without Nick or Lamar Peters?

smootness
03-22-2019, 08:55 PM
Who cares

This program sucks

Spectre
03-22-2019, 08:56 PM
If the team plays but there isn?t anyone there to watch, how can we know.

IMissJack
03-22-2019, 09:19 PM
This game is a perfect example of why the fans never got behind this team. They were way too inconsistent and look lazy at times.

CadaverDawg
03-22-2019, 09:21 PM
This game is a perfect example of why the fans never got behind this team. They were way to inconsistent and look lazy at times.

Yep

BeardoMSU
03-22-2019, 09:23 PM
With the 3 of them moving on, what's the overall team's basketball IQ improve to?

msugolf
03-22-2019, 09:30 PM
Pretty rough actually. Don't expect Lamar or Nick back. So you're looking at starting a true frosh at pg. Plus we lose the one guy who we could count on to generate some points when our offense stalls, and it stalls a lot under Howland cause he's always been criticized for his lack of offensive coaching

G Molinar
G Carter/Stewart
F Woodard
F Orduro/Perry
F Perry (if he comes back)/Ado

That's a bottom half of the league lineup ...if anyone cares anyways.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Bottom of the SEC.

Irondawg
03-22-2019, 10:02 PM
We know have to go find a last minute PG somewhere, hopefully a grad transfer from a mid-major with a great basketball IQ.

We're going to lack a natural scorer though unless somebody steps up, which is very possible. Could be a little rough next year.

MaroonFlounder
03-23-2019, 08:09 AM
The question for me is...who will be the next guy on the team stupid enough to allow a tutor to take a test for him DURING a game. That is so freakin Mstate

Red Sox Dawg
03-23-2019, 08:49 AM
We have a couple of wasted scholarships on big men that need processing and freeing up. We could literally process dead weight and sign 2-3 more late, but we aren't even looking at that. If Datcher can't get any playing time from Holman, why does he have a scholarship?

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-23-2019, 09:11 AM
Yeah I'm not seeing much potential.

We have 2 good players (woodard and perry), 2 slightly below average players (ado and carter), no PG, and need to find 4 SEC players to have a 8 an rotation.

We will go 6-12 in conference play at best, and half the board will be blasting the other half that are currently saying we should keep Howland.

WSOPdawg
03-23-2019, 10:35 AM
This game is a perfect example of why the fans never got behind this team. They were way too inconsistent and look lazy at times.

And Lamar wondered where every body was & why they no support in the Hump in January. LOL.

Dawgology
03-23-2019, 11:10 AM

We have 2 good players (woodard and perry), 2 slightly below average players (ado and carter), no PG, and need to find 4 SEC players to have a 8 an rotation.

We will go 6-12 in conference play at best, and half the board will be blasting the other half that are currently saying we should keep Howland.

We still have a large part of the fan base that is conditioned for mediocrity. These same fans are loyal to the core regardless of results. This comes from years on top of years where a large portion of our fan base stayed loyal to an athletic program that yielded below average results. This engenders a fierce loyalty.

The last decade has seen the MSU athletic program climb to heights never seen before. Most of these fans never thought they would see this and it represents the ultimate pinnacle of achievement. Instead of seizing this opportunity to gain traction and climb higher this contingent is happy with maintaining the status quo. Unfortunately, many of these are donors and those who have pull with the hiring and firing of coaches. There is now a split within the fan base (I think improperly labeled old vs young). One wants to sit back and enjoy where the program is (due to decades of drought) and others who want to take the next step.

I straddle the fence here. I think we should enjoy what we have with the understanding that a plateau (if not pushed past) is the death knell for a program. If we see a coach has maxed out what he can achieve then it may be time to look for someone who can take that next step.

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 11:30 AM

Carter and Ado are slightly below average? What a joke. I think we will be okay. I think we get Nick back and will start: Nick, Carter, Woodard, Perry, and Ado, with Oduro, Stewart, Molinar, Butts, and King coming off the bench. We will be fine.

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 11:36 AM
We still have a large part of the fan base that is conditioned for mediocrity. These same fans are loyal to the core regardless of results. This comes from years on top of years where a large portion of our fan base stayed loyal to an athletic program that yielded below average results. This engenders a fierce loyalty.

The last decade has seen the MSU athletic program climb to heights never seen before. Most of these fans never thought they would see this and it represents the ultimate pinnacle of achievement. Instead of seizing this opportunity to gain traction and climb higher this contingent is happy with maintaining the status quo. Unfortunately, many of these are donors and those who have pull with the hiring and firing of coaches. There is now a split within the fan base (I think improperly labeled old vs young). One wants to sit back and enjoy where the program is (due to decades of drought) and others who want to take the next step.

I straddle the fence here. I think we should enjoy what we have with the understanding that a plateau (if not pushed past) is the death knell for a program. If we see a coach has maxed out what he can achieve then it may be time to look for someone who can take that next step.

Meh. I think a lot of our troubles and inconsistencies can be traced back to player leadership and their personalities. Q and Holman sucked as leaders because they were just chill and easy going so the team reflected that. Don’t get me wrong. Q was an awesome player but wasn’t a leader. We will get Nick back next year and he was always a driving force type of leader so the team will respond better to him. And for those saying Nick won’t be back, they have already discredited that tutor so odds are good he will be back next year. If we lose Peters, imo that will be addition by subtraction. As I said above, I think we will be fine next year.

HoopsDawg
03-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Carter and Ado are slightly below average? What a joke. I think we will be okay. I think we get Nick back and will start: Nick, Carter, Woodard, Perry, and Ado, with Oduro, Stewart, Molinar, Butts, and King coming off the bench. We will be fine.

We will have to see who all returns. Just a heads up on Oduro, he was a 33% FT shooter at Sienna.

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 11:45 AM
We will have to see who all returns. Just a heads up on Oduro, he was a 33% FT shooter at Sienna.

He’s a good player. A number of teams wanted him when he transferred. He had options and he chose us.

WSOPdawg
03-23-2019, 11:48 AM

100% nailed it! And this is why I'm so frustrated with this past football season. You can't blame JoMo because he did a stellar job compared to what we "normally" expect from a new 1st year head coach.

BUT I blame Athletic Director John Cohen BECAUSE he should have known the special roster (laced with a large # of future NFL draft picks) and that this would be a special season for a team that did NOT need to be breaking in a new 1st year head coach (especially to the SEC).

So frustrating and a lost chance in what should have been an Atlanta-bound SEC Championship season (which are few and far between, and the AD mismanaged it).

HoopsDawg
03-23-2019, 11:50 AM
He’s a good player. A number of teams wanted him when he transferred. He had options and he chose us.

He chose us over South Florida and UMass. He can be a good role player though.

chef dixon
03-23-2019, 12:14 PM
We will be a bubble team

chef dixon
03-23-2019, 12:38 PM
It will be a good change of pace to not come into a season with increasing expectations like we have been for the last 4 years.

I'd expect Woodard and Perry to make big steps and each average double figures. Ado will provide the same inside presence as this season which is helpful.

Obviously guard is a question mark. Tyson should average double figures next year as well. It is hard to know what we will look like without knowing the status of Nick and Lamar. Getting at least one back will make our ceiling next year higher, but it may not be bad thing to break in some new playing styles at the guard position with some of the freshman. I expect Molinar handle the ball some and Butts can probably find a role as a 3 point guy as a freshman. Obviously this expands if we lose all of our guards.

Oduro and Stewart are kind of wild cards but should contribute. King may be a guy that probably won't have a ton of opportunities for minutes next year, should probably be the weight room and cafeteria 24/7.

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 12:52 PM
It will be a good change of pace to not come into a season with increasing expectations like we have been for the last 4 years.

I'd expect Woodard and Perry to make big steps and each average double figures. Ado will provide the same inside presence as this season which is helpful.

Obviously guard is a question mark. Tyson should average double figures next year as well. It is hard to know what we will look like without knowing the status of Nick and Lamar. Getting at least one back will make our ceiling next year higher, but it may not be bad thing to break in some new playing styles at the guard position with some of the freshman. I expect Molinar handle the ball some and Butts can probably find a role as a 3 point guy as a freshman. Obviously this expands if we lose all of our guards.

Oduro and Stewart are kind of wild cards but should contribute. King may be a guy that probably won't have a ton of opportunities for minutes next year, should probably be the weight room and cafeteria 24/7.

I want Nick back. Lamar? I much rather see him gone.

MaroonFlounder
03-23-2019, 05:25 PM
What if Nick can't return, Peters leaves, and DJ is not good as a RS freshman. Guard play will be a disaster. Tyson is good, but he is nowhere near great, as he showed last night.

Walkerhill
03-23-2019, 06:10 PM
I want Nick back. Lamar? I much rather see him gone.

That is crazy. There may have been moments of drama but it is wild to say you would rather see him gone than back as a senior. I am the opposite, I would love to see him locked in as a senior with the end of his career as a definitive forcing function.

He has a pro career ahead of him, but is it in the NBA or Croatia? Next year will tell.

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 06:48 PM
That is crazy. There may have been moments of drama but it is wild to say you would rather see him gone than back as a senior. I am the opposite, I would love to see him locked in as a senior with the end of his career as a definitive forcing function.

He has a pro career ahead of him, but is it in the NBA or Croatia? Next year will tell.

We thought he turned the corner this year after how he finished the season last year. He didn’t. He was his same old inconsistent self. Between Nick and Lamar, I rather have Nick back because he is more consistent and a better leader, better defender, and he doesn’t turn the ball over like Lamar.

MarketingBully
03-23-2019, 06:49 PM
What if Nick can't return, Peters leaves, and DJ is not good as a RS freshman. Guard play will be a disaster. Tyson is good, but he is nowhere near great, as he showed last night.

Nick will be back next year. That tutor’s story has fallen apart.

Walkerhill
03-23-2019, 07:33 PM
We thought he turned the corner this year after how he finished the season last year. He didn?t. He was his same old inconsistent self. Between Nick and Lamar, I rather have Nick back because he is more consistent and a better leader, better defender, and he doesn?t turn the ball over like Lamar.

I will agreee the petulant body language and pouting when he got in foul trouble on the road and Tyson stepped up and played well was unbecoming (maybe at Arkansas - the first game of baby Spoons suspension). NBA scouts are just not going to play that. He has to be a team guy if he has a future in the league as a squad guy.

It is really up to him but seems like he can help a college team if he gets his head right.

maroonmania
03-23-2019, 09:16 PM
Nick will be back next year. That tutor’s story has fallen apart.

Then why in the heck was he not allowed to play last night? I'm sorry, but if the university provides a tutor to a student-athlete that is willing to take a test for him then yes, its on the player but its also on the university for not doing a better job of vetting their tutors.

HaggardDawg
03-24-2019, 08:54 AM
Perry will need to grow up before next year as well. When things didn't go his way he would pout and not hustle. If he missed a point blank shot and the other team got the rebound, you can bet within 10 seconds he's making a dumb foul out of frustration.

ejdallas322
03-24-2019, 08:56 AM
We might be getting 4 star Austin Crowley since he is seeking for a release from Vandy after the coaching firing.

basedog
03-24-2019, 09:04 AM
Perry will need to grow up before next year as well. When things didn't go his way he would pout and not hustle. If he missed a point blank shot and the other team got the rebound, you can bet within 10 seconds he's making a dumb foul out of frustration.

Yes to this, attitude needs to improve a lot, very self centered, talented yes. As for as Peters, he is his worse enemy, I don't see him with a bad attitude, he gets down on himself! Say what y'all want to but we need him to come back and he needs to mature, has so much talent.

I hope Nick comes back, I've said it before, it doesn't look good but we shall know shortly.

Carter just had an awful game against Liberty, not sure what was going through his head but he wasn't ready that night.

Love Woodard, say what you want but he is the type players we need going forward. He also has more athletic ability than Perry, tough, hustles, and good attitude!

CadaverDawg
03-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Yes to this, attitude needs to improve a lot, very self centered, talented yes. As for as Peters, he is his worse enemy, I don't see him with a bad attitude, he gets down on himself! Say what y'all want to but we need him to come back and he needs to mature, has so much talent.

I hope Nick comes back, I've said it before, it doesn't look good but we shall know shortly.

Carter just had an awful game against Liberty, not sure what was going through his head but he wasn't ready that night.

Love Woodard, say what you want but he is the type players we need going forward. He also has more athletic ability than Perry, tough, hustles, and good attitude!

Totally agree with all of this. Especially Woodard. Give me a team of 4 stars with his hustle and attitude, and I'll beat any group of 5 stars you throw out there. We lacked high IQ, effort guys this year...but Woodard is that guy

tcdog70
03-24-2019, 10:07 AM
Don't sleep on Ado. Before he leaves he will become a complete player. He already is a stud on defense. Huge upside

basedog
03-24-2019, 10:10 AM
Don't sleep on Ado. Before he leaves he will become a complete player. He already is a stud on defense. Huge upside

I agree, I hope he really works hard in the off season, he is improving. Seems to have a good attitude, just hasn't played enough basketball growing up.

CadaverDawg
03-24-2019, 10:23 AM

Yep, I'm actually glad Holman is gone so Ado isn't affected by his effort level. I'm not so sure that's not what happened to Perry late in the year, but I could be way off. We don't need bad examples in the lockeroom bc we have some good young guys if they will work hard

basedog
03-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Yep, I'm actually glad Holman is gone so Ado isn't affected by his effort level. I'm not so sure that's not what happened to Perry late in the year, but I could be way off. We don't need bad examples in the lockeroom bc we have some good young guys if they will work hard

I agree with this except Holman sure did try to encourage others. I think Holman like most basketball players was average and limited on some skills. I saw him several times this year being a leader, not sure he was a bad influence at all.
Perry is a different animal, I'm wondering if he is a Newman/Kegler type player who just doesn't get the role of a leader. I hope I'm wrong about this as he is young. He walks around way too much on the court, never saw him smiling much or involved with his teammates.