PDA

View Full Version : For Any Who Have A Choppy Video Feed On the ESPN App, This May Be The Issue

yjnkdawg
03-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Comments from the ROKU Forum -Deja vu

Internet issues would manifest as buffering a reduction in screen resolution, not constant choppiness. This is clearly not an internet speed issue. And as mentioned, other apps do not have this issue.

I'm watching the Hawaii / Cal game now and EUREKA! 60fps is now coming through on both Roku and my Android phone. This is without updating either of the apps, so I'm guessing that up until recently, there was some preprocessing or bandwidth control being done on ESPN's side to limit video feeds to 30fps on streaming devices. Wish ESPN could've just admitted that they weren't outputting at 60fps instead of blaming it on my net speed.

Watching the Jets/Lions game tonight and it is chop city. Funny thing is, all the commercials are perfectly smooth, so it?s only the game feed that is horribly choppy with an unacceptable frame rate. This tells me it?s not the ESPN Roku channel itself, but rather the way they are transcoding/interfacing with the channel from the cameras on the field.

This shows that it is a frame issue just like the tech told me yesterday. So in other words if ESPN is using the 30fps then it is choppy because they can't keep up with the HDTV's refresh rate, and the choppiness is due to this. I may contact ROKU chat and let them know what I have learned, and tell them that this is not a new issue.