PDA

View Full Version : Would this baseball team be #2 with Henderson?

Jack Lambert
03-21-2019, 10:11 AM
I don't think so. He made too many head scratching decisions last season with pitching. They had a lot of lucky breaks to get where they did.

smootness
03-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Is Ginn here with Henderson? Maybe, maybe not. But if not, then obviously no way.

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2019, 10:28 AM
I would say no since our pitching staff has improved dramatically. We had some guys step up last year in important moments but overall our pitching wasn't nearly this good. Foxhall >>>>>>>>> Henderson as a pitching coach. I would also say that our catchers look a lot better so the addition of Cheese has helped a lot also.

99jc
03-21-2019, 10:34 AM
I would say no since our pitching staff has improved dramatically. We had some guys step up last year in important moments but overall our pitching wasn't nearly this good. Foxhall >>>>>>>>> Henderson as a pitching coach. I would also say that our catchers look a lot better so the addition of Cheese has helped a lot also.

this is the truth

drummerdawg
03-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Yes

msstate7
03-21-2019, 10:54 AM
Maybe, maybe not, but he did finish #4 last season. We returned pretty much our whole lineup and legit Friday night guy, so I don't think he'd be sucking it up or anything

preachermatt83
03-21-2019, 11:05 AM
We wouldn’t be in the top 25 right now. By the end of the year he would have have playing decent but he’s not even close to Lemo/Foxhall.

preachermatt83
03-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Maybe, maybe not, but he did finish #4 last season. We returned pretty much our whole lineup and legit Friday night guy, so I don't think he'd be sucking it up or anything

We lost our Friday night starter as well as one of our best hitters in Stovall and a very solid defensive shortstop. We should have taken a small step back.. we didn’t. I’d venture to say Ginn and Small would not still be here if not for Lemo

Doggie_Style
03-21-2019, 11:10 AM
Maybe it's just me but posting a thread designed to cast shade on a man who is dealing with an unbelievable personal tragedy is just wrong. Coach Henderson did an amazing job at MSU.

ShotgunDawg
03-21-2019, 11:11 AM
No.

Everyone on the pitching staff has improved in ways that go against Henderson's beliefs.

LC Dawg
03-21-2019, 11:14 AM
Would Lemonis have stepped in and finished #4 last year? Probably not. Henderson took a bad situation and turned it around. I appreciate everything he did for Mississippi State and prefer to leave it at that. He's also going through a personal tragedy and doesn't deserve a thread like this in my opinion.

msstate7
03-21-2019, 11:20 AM
Maybe it's just me but posting a thread designed to cast shade on a man who is dealing with an unbelievable personal tragedy is just wrong. Coach Henderson did an amazing job at MSU.

This board holds its nuts on every ex-coach for some reason. I'm sure half here are still bitter over their 6th grade GF breaking up with them.

Saltydog
03-21-2019, 11:21 AM
He did make some head scratching moves with the pitching staff last year no doubt but he didn't have the kind of depth and talent we have this year.

ShotgunDawg
03-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Would Lemonis have stepped in and finished #4 last year? Probably not. Henderson took a bad situation and turned it around. I appreciate everything he did for Mississippi State and prefer to leave it at that. He's also going through a personal tragedy and doesn't deserve a thread like this in my opinion.

Agree on your first point.

I feel terrible for him and his family. It's an awful situation, but this is a message board and on message boards we discuss these types of things. I separate Gary Henderson the man and Gary Henderson the coach.

If we can't discuss it now, when is the proper time to discuss it? Next week, next month, next year? It's just a slippery slope and this discussion isn't personal. We are just discussing sports.

ShotgunDawg
03-21-2019, 11:36 AM
He did make some head scratching moves with the pitching staff last year no doubt but he didn't have the kind of depth and talent we have this year.

I think the debate is this: would we have the pitching depth we have now with Gary still in charge?

Does Small, Leibelt, Barlow all make jumps they have and does Ginn come to school?

The answer to those questions answers this discussion.

LC Dawg
03-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Agree on your first point.

I feel terrible for him and his family. It's an awful situation, but this is a message board and on message boards we discuss these types of things. I separate Gary Henderson the man and Gary Henderson the coach.

If we can't discuss it now, when is the proper time to discuss it? Next week, next month, next year? It's just a slippery slope and this discussion isn't personal. We are just discussing sports.

I almost didn't add the personal point but it was my opinion so I did. I would rather it been a month or two later but, again, that's just my opinion.
I do think Henderson did a great job with a bad situation and has seemed to handle not getting the permanent job with class and I appreciate him for all that.

shoeless joe
03-21-2019, 11:53 AM
The answer is...is Ginn here with Henderson? Because that’s why we’re #2

Small and Gordon made huge leaps last year under Henderson...of course he’ll not get credit for that around here. Our infield defense is not near as good this yr, yes I know it’s the players but he gets dogged for this same sort of thing so I’ll give him credit on it as well. MacNamee became a legitimate threat under him. He got Foscue into the line up.

All that said...I am very pleased thus far with this staff.

msbulldog
03-21-2019, 12:16 PM

I agree Doggie, leave the man alone.

Commercecomet24
03-21-2019, 12:22 PM
Is Ginn here with Henderson? Maybe, maybe not. But if not, then obviously no way.

The Ginn's liked Henderson a lot. He would've been here regardless. In fact they were just little upset that Henderson wasn't retained after what he did with the team last year.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-21-2019, 12:43 PM

nah it's not an attack on the man's character just his coaching decisions plus there it is really unlikely he will read this.

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2019, 12:43 PM
The answer is...is Ginn here with Henderson? Because that’s why we’re #2

Small and Gordon made huge leaps last year under Henderson...of course he’ll not get credit for that around here. Our infield defense is not near as good this yr, yes I know it’s the players but he gets dogged for this same sort of thing so I’ll give him credit on it as well. MacNamee became a legitimate threat under him. He got Foscue into the line up.

All that said...I am very pleased thus far with this staff.

Henderson was keeping Gautreau so the hitting would have been the same. The biggest difference is how much improvement that Foxhall has brought to the overall staff. Would Henderson have been able to hire a pitching coach or would he have improved the pitchers that much? I do think Cheese isn't valued enough also. We had a big passed ball problem and all of our catchers are GREATLY improved defensively.

I have liked the balance that Lemo has had with leaving a pitcher in or taking him out. It seemed like Henderson left a pitcher in too long to let them try and work through it. It reminded me of Polk when it came to that. Now if it was due to Henderson being Head Coach along with pitching coach, not sure but it definitely would have helped having another coach on the bench last year. All that said, Henderson was the perfect coach for the upheaval that was last year. He was exactly what our team needed. I do think Lemo is better for our program long term though.

Cowbell
03-21-2019, 12:48 PM

Agree with you 100%. I?m sure it wasn?t meant negative as the op seems like a cool guy, but there is nothing good that can come of this thread. I am grateful for everything he did for us last year as well, as he was the cheapest paid coach in the college World Series.

CadaverDawg
03-21-2019, 03:18 PM
No

Johnson85
03-21-2019, 05:10 PM
This board holds its nuts on every ex-coach for some reason. I'm sure half here are still bitter over their 6th grade GF breaking up with them.

This is by far the weirdest one though. The guy did a great job in a difficult position. We passed on him despite the job he did b/c it's the one sport where we don't have to take a bird in the hand approach. To my knowledge, he hasn't bashed us or done anything to hurt us since being passed up. He should be as beloved as an interim coach could ever be by MSU people.

Bubb Rubb
03-21-2019, 06:18 PM
I think the appropriate question is, would this team be #2 without Foxhall? I believe he is the difference maker.

DownwardDawg
03-21-2019, 06:34 PM
What tragedy is he dealing with? Or is it something that doesn't need to be discussed here? Guess I've missed that somehow. I sure pray he makes it through whatever he's dealing with. I really liked him and he seems like a real genuine guy. I wish the best for him and his family.

msbulldog
03-21-2019, 06:37 PM
What tragedy is he dealing with? Or is it something that doesn't need to be discussed here? Guess I've missed that somehow. I sure pray he makes it through whatever he's dealing with. I really liked him and he seems like a real genuine guy. I wish the best for him and his family.

He lost his son to suicide.

DownwardDawg
03-21-2019, 06:44 PM
He lost his son to suicide.

OMG. That's horrible. I can't imagine...

The Federalist Engineer
03-21-2019, 06:56 PM
This is by far the weirdest one though. The guy did a great job in a difficult position. We passed on him despite the job he did b/c it's the one sport where we don't have to take a bird in the hand approach. To my knowledge, he hasn't bashed us or done anything to hurt us since being passed up. He should be as beloved as an interim coach could ever be by MSU people.

This dude gets it, very disrespectful thread here.

Todd4State
03-21-2019, 08:00 PM
I'm happy with the coaching staff we have now and I was overall pleased with the job that Gary did for us.

msstate7
03-21-2019, 08:01 PM
I'm happy with the coaching staff we have now and I was overall pleased with the job that Gary did for us.

Yep

Jack Lambert
03-21-2019, 10:13 PM
This dude gets it, very disrespectful thread here.

When would the thread not be disrespectful? Two weeks? Two months? This was not a bashing thread. It is a miss state baseball thread. I am please with the job Henderson did and I was one of the I am good with keeping him crowd. Talking about Miss State baseball is not disrespectful. It was a simple question since the the team move into 2nd this week. I respect your opinion but this was not intended to be disrespectful. Hell when he walked onto the field during the Auburn game I rang my battle bell louder then anyone else.

People die everyday. The bible says a time to be born and a time to die. It is part of life and life keeps on going for the living.

Tbonewannabe
03-22-2019, 09:19 AM
When would the thread not be disrespectful? Two weeks? Two months? This was not a bashing thread. It is a miss state baseball thread. I am please with the job Henderson did and I was one of the I am good with keeping him crowd. Talking about Miss State baseball is not disrespectful. It was a simple question since the the team move into 2nd this week. I respect your opinion but this was not intended to be disrespectful. Hell when he walked onto the field during the Auburn game I rang my battle bell louder then anyone else.

People die everyday. The bible says a time to be born and a time to die. It is part of life and life keeps on going for the living.

It is a discussion about his ability to lead a baseball program. I don't think anyone bashed him. He seemed to be the perfect man for the job at that time. He did more than anyone could have hoped for and everyone is grateful for the job he did. As far as leading the program into the future, he has proven to be a good coach and I hope he has success in the future but I didn't think he was the right guy. I know Cohen basically said he had a job at MSU if he wanted it.