PDA

View Full Version : OL Champion arrested

starkvegasdawg
03-21-2019, 09:22 AM
Expired tag, no insurance, and suspended license.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/tommy-champion-mississippi-state-arrested-three-charges/?fbclid=IwAR0-mwS8t6cqJromxPwBq6L2WkSVusE3bVBU6NeGnlAk1_rcNNQ4nL IDCPU

Ari Gold
03-21-2019, 09:26 AM
Thanks SDS ... stellar work as always...

Dallas_Dawg
03-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Yeah I cringed when I saw the headline. Way overblown by SDS per usual

ShotgunDawg
03-21-2019, 09:40 AM
Since this is about the 10th time this has happened, here’s an idea: how about we give every player a day off, put their asses on a bus, drive them down to the DMV, and everyone gets everything up to date.

ShotgunDawg
03-21-2019, 09:40 AM
Yeah I cringed when I saw the headline. Way overblown by SDS per usual

You mean it wasn’t “EPIC”*

Jack Lambert
03-21-2019, 10:08 AM
If they suspend him for that the entire athletic department should be fired.

I have always had insurance with proof. I have forgotten about my tag but up dated it before getting pulled over. My license have be expired. You don't get a reminder. I did not realize it until the police pulled me over. No ticket.

smootness
03-21-2019, 10:12 AM
If they suspend him for that the entire athletic department should be fired.

I have always had insurance with proof. I have forgotten about my tag but up dated it before getting pulled over. My license have be expired. You don't get a reminder. I did not realize it until the police pulled me over. No ticket.

To have all of those at once, you have to be either insanely lazy or pretty irresponsible.

Also, it wasn't an expired license, it was a suspended license. He absolutely would have known he had a suspended license and chose to drive anyway...also without an updated tag or any insurance.

I'm ok with a game suspension for that.

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Was it no insurance or no proof of insurance? I have forgotten to put the new insurance card in the car before. Now at least I have the app on my phone that some states accept, Georgia is one.

smootness
03-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Was it no insurance or no proof of insurance? I have forgotten to put the new insurance card in the car before. Now at least I have the app on my phone that some states accept, Georgia is one.

In Georgia, you don't have to have proof of insurance at all, so long as you are actively insured. They can find you in the system. Now, you probably should have proof of insurance just to be safe, but it isn't required.

It says no insurance, so I assume he didn't have any insurance.

Jack Lambert
03-21-2019, 10:25 AM

Mississippi accepts phone photo from insurance web site.

Jack Lambert
03-21-2019, 10:26 AM
To have all of those at once, you have to be either insanely lazy or pretty irresponsible.

Also, it wasn't an expired license, it was a suspended license. He absolutely would have known he had a suspended license and chose to drive anyway...also without an updated tag or any insurance.

I'm ok with a game suspension for that.

He's probably use to driving in Jackson where JPD has too many other problems to deal with and don't give a shit about those things.

smootness
03-21-2019, 10:32 AM
He's probably use to driving in Jackson where JPD has too many other problems to deal with and don't give a shit about those things.

They don't care about people who drive on a suspended license or with no insurance?

Again, this is enough of a dumb, irresponsible mistake to potentially be worth sitting a game.

Activated Alpha
03-21-2019, 10:37 AM
They don't care about people who drive on a suspended license or with no insurance?

Again, this is enough of a dumb, irresponsible mistake to potentially be worth sitting a game.

I can tell you as a matter of fact that they don?t care for a suspended license. They will eve let the person drive after the fact. I?ve witnessed this on a few 911 calls in Jackson. They?ll write them a ticket, but won?t do shit else.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2019, 10:53 AM
No license and insurance are pathway offenses that lead to speeding and no seatbelt later in life. Throw him in jail!**

BrunswickDawg
03-21-2019, 11:00 AM
In Georgia, you don't have to have proof of insurance at all, so long as you are actively insured. They can find you in the system. Now, you probably should have proof of insurance just to be safe, but it isn't required.

It says no insurance, so I assume he didn't have any insurance.

In Georgia, you also typically won't get arrested for any of these 3 charges either. I know our local PD will ticket you, tell you to park your car and wait for someone to come get you (and occasionally take you home).

smootness
03-21-2019, 11:14 AM
In Georgia, you also typically won't get arrested for any of these 3 charges either. I know our local PD will ticket you, tell you to park your car and wait for someone to come get you (and occasionally take you home).

You typically will for driving with a suspended license. It's just a misdemeanor, but you will still typically be arrested.

ETA: In fact, here's a timely article of...a UGA player getting arrested for that very thing a couple hours ago: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-linebacker-arrested-for-traffic-violation/t8OYejtyzbZnzLL7Tc2PqJ/

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Thanks SDS ... stellar work as always...

Surprised it wasn't the SDN and Joel T Coleman reporting.

BrunswickDawg
03-21-2019, 11:26 AM
You typically will for driving with a suspended license. It's just a misdemeanor, but you will still typically be arrested.

ETA: In fact, here's a timely article of...a UGA player getting arrested for that very thing a couple hours ago: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-linebacker-arrested-for-traffic-violation/t8OYejtyzbZnzLL7Tc2PqJ/
I'm just going by what I see in our municipal court and what our local PD does. I could see it varying from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

fader2103
03-21-2019, 12:13 PM
It depends on the local jurisdiction most the time, but it also goes down to individual officers. Every ticketable offense is an arrestable offense. As a police officer it all depends on the attitude of the person in general, especially suspended licenses. If our policy states that the officers have the discretion to arrest for suspended and the driver has an attitude you can bet he is getting cuffs. If the person has a suspended licenses and owns up and has a reasonable excuse I will work with him. But if the policy states that you shall arrest individuals with suspended licenses. Call the next towing company guys!

BuckyIsAB****
03-21-2019, 06:31 PM
He will run some stadiums and be fine

Todd4State
03-21-2019, 08:07 PM
Surprised it wasn't the SDN and Joel T Coleman reporting.

No kidding. I think he sits by the police scanner with a football roster.

Todd4State
03-21-2019, 08:07 PM
He will run some stadiums and be fine

I bet he misses the ULL game.

RC3
03-21-2019, 09:00 PM
So if it?s driving with license suspended for a violation of the implied consent law- meaning you had a dui offense- it usually does result in a trip to jail as the offense carries mandatory jail time (though it can be suspended by the court). DWLS for other reasons, such as unpaid child support, etc usually does not result in arrest. Arresting someone for these offenses is overkill unless there are some underlying reasons imo. Definitely does not warrant being required to sit a game

RougeDawg
03-22-2019, 02:24 PM
So if it?s driving with license suspended for a violation of the implied consent law- meaning you had a dui offense- it usually does result in a trip to jail as the offense carries mandatory jail time (though it can be suspended by the court). DWLS for other reasons, such as unpaid child support, etc usually does not result in arrest. Arresting someone for these offenses is overkill unless there are some underlying reasons imo. Definitely does not warrant being required to sit a game

I?ll pile on and say that the law enforcement in the area surrounding the university has and extreme case of little man syndrome. I have no proof of them having a certain mindset towards different groups, but they definitely treat certain groups differently.