PDA

View Full Version : Midweek Thoughts

Todd4State
03-20-2019, 10:22 PM
We scheduled two trap games essentially, got behind in both....and then came back to win both. Including one over what appears to be a pretty decent Samford team on the road. Good teams do stuff like that. From here on out we don't have to play two midweek games the rest of the season.

Neither starter pitched well in either game. I like Plumlee better out of the pen and Cerentola simply isn't ready. I would like to see Tyler Spring get some midweek starts though. Keegan isn't bad as our Sunday guy. He's only had one bad start against Florida and we have enough bullpen to cover him even if he doesn't go deep in a game. Brandon Smith also looked very good and should get some consideration for a start. Riley Self looked better, and we were able to save our big guns in the pen for tonight when we really needed them and they performed well in Barlow, White, and Gordon. We didn't have to use Leibelt at all which was good.

Good that we are deep enough to rest Skelton at catcher midweek instead of wearing him down. Skelton should have had two hits tonight. Not sure that you can review plays in the OVC- but I don't believe you can. Tanner Allen has been good game/bad game lately. I think he will heat up pretty soon. Noticed that Landon Jordan has started the last two over Halter. He had a couple of RBI's tonight. Foscue was the offensive MVP tonight along with Mangum. Westburg's error was the only error we made in two games. He's still hitting the ball hard and when you do that is going to lead to good things typically.

Really good to get Rowdey going. He had a couple of hits including a big one that tied the game. We really need to get him going. Mangum was typical for him- three hits, a couple of stolen bases, coming through in the clutch and getting thrown out trying to make something happen. MacNamee had three walks tonight and that shows good discipline to not try to do too much. Josh Hatcher should be the primary DH from here on out assuming Rowdey breaks out of his slump.

We broke the 20 win barrier and now we go back to SEC play at Dudy-Noble Field. Just have to keep on winning. Hail State.

tireddawg
03-20-2019, 10:29 PM
For someone that didn't get to see the game or listen to it, thanks for the write up. So Rowdey busted the slump.

ScottH
03-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Past teams lose one of these if not both.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2019, 11:07 PM
For someone that didn't get to see the game or listen to it, thanks for the write up. So Rowdey busted the slump.

Yeah he had a single up the middle on a sharply hit grounder, and then a little jam shot flare into left center to drive in the tying run, which was big time. Hopefully that gets him going a little. I like Rowdey. I wish more of our fans would spell his name right too, ha. #LetsGetRowdey

CadaverDawg
03-20-2019, 11:07 PM
Past teams lose one of these if not both.

100% agree

MarketingBully
03-21-2019, 12:44 AM
Hey Todd, Gunner has been sick in the midweek and didn’t even make the trip hence Jordan starting at second in his place.

Todd4State
03-21-2019, 01:09 AM
Hey Todd, Gunner has been sick in the midweek and didn’t even make the trip hence Jordan starting at second in his place.

Makes sense. We've had a lot of guys get sick this year.

ShotgunDawg
03-21-2019, 05:59 AM
You keep running Ceratola out there every mid-week. He's the difference.

At 20-2 we can afford to do this and it may be the difference between a natty and losing in Omaha.

MSU essentially only got 1 year out of Dakota Hudson because he wasn't allowed to work through things his FR and SO year. It's essential that we stick with Ceratola and continue to throw him out every midweek unless we get to a point where we can't afford to.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-21-2019, 06:58 AM
With the rainout against Nebraska, and other possible future rainouts, it is possible that we have a week where we play two midweek games later this season.

louisvilledawg
03-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Yeah he had a single up the middle on a sharply hit grounder, and then a little jam shot flare into left center to drive in the tying run, which was big time. Hopefully that gets him going a little. I like Rowdey. I wish more of our fans would spell his name right too, ha. #LetsGetRowdey

Same with our fans and how the pronounce/spell Johnathan Abram. Everybody makes it Johnathan ABRAMS for no reason and it triggers me. Learn to read, morons!

The Federalist Engineer
03-21-2019, 09:49 AM
Looks like Rowdey brought back the goggles.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/521/126/9126521.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

smootness
03-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Looks like Rowdey brought back the goggles.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/521/126/9126521.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

He's had them back for about a week.

Todd4State
03-21-2019, 08:05 PM
You keep running Ceratola out there every mid-week. He's the difference.

At 20-2 we can afford to do this and it may be the difference between a natty and losing in Omaha.

MSU essentially only got 1 year out of Dakota Hudson because he wasn't allowed to work through things his FR and SO year. It's essential that we stick with Ceratola and continue to throw him out every midweek unless we get to a point where we can't afford to.

I think we see Cerentola start against Valley and then we have ULM- a team comparable to UALR after that. To me that's his test to see if he can make enough adjustments to where we can stick with him. I have my doubts to be honest. His command just isn't there. I almost would prefer that he come out of the bullpen in one inning stints on the weekend when we are either way up or way behind to work on things. Probably more productive against SEC hitters vs. SWAC hitters in the long run too.

I'd actually like to see Tyler Spring pitch more midweek personally. I think he's better than Plumlee right now- and I want to see how he does in a starting situation.

ShotgunDawg
03-21-2019, 09:17 PM
I think we see Cerentola start against Valley and then we have ULM- a team comparable to UALR after that. To me that's his test to see if he can make enough adjustments to where we can stick with him. I have my doubts to be honest. His command just isn't there. I almost would prefer that he come out of the bullpen in one inning stints on the weekend when we are either way up or way behind to work on things. Probably more productive against SEC hitters vs. SWAC hitters in the long run too.

I'd actually like to see Tyler Spring pitch more midweek personally. I think he's better than Plumlee right now- and I want to see how he does in a starting situation.

Certantola's command is not there right now, but I'm telling you, it's going to come.

He's such a pup & young bodied kid that he simply loses his release point & body control at times because he's not yet strong enough to maintain posture.

The thing about that is, it could come at any time. He is just a hair off, &, just like Hudson, when that hair of strength comes to him & he's able to maintain his body control throughout his delivery, it's going to be special.

We obviously have to be smart about it, but IMO the worst thing we could do is bury him. Keep throwing him out there. It may not click till the SEC tournament like Zach Houston did