PDA

View Full Version : What would change your mind?

starkvegasdawg
10-21-2013, 11:49 AM
If you are in the fire Dan Mullen camp, what would have to happen this season for you to relent and give him one more year?

If you are in the keep Dan Mullen camp, what would have to happen for you to change your mind and volunteer to driving the moving van?

Right now I am in the keep Dan Mullen camp. Seeing us go 1-5 or 0-6 the rest of the way out would pretty much seal the deal on me changing my mind. I think that would decimate recruiting for this next class and we can't continue to sign top 30 classes when the teams we are trying to catch are all signing top 10 classes. It would also signal to me that he has quit or has no fire for the game any more which amounts to the same thing.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-21-2013, 11:55 AM
If you are in the fire Dan Mullen camp, what would have to happen this season for you to relent and give him one more year?

If you are in the keep Dan Mullen camp, what would have to happen for you to change your mind and volunteer to driving the moving van?

Right now I am in the keep Dan Mullen camp. Seeing us go 1-5 or 0-6 the rest of the way out would pretty much seal the deal on me changing my mind. I think that would decimate recruiting for this next class and we can't continue to sign top 30 classes when the teams we are trying to catch are all signing top 10 classes. It would also signal to me that he has quit or has no fire for the game any more which amounts to the same thing.

Pretty simple...we just need to go to a bowl game. So six wins and I say give Mullen another year. (I don't think he will get fired either way).

CadaverDawg
10-21-2013, 12:00 PM
I am not in the fire Mullen camp until the season ends. However, right now I am thinking we only win 5 games and miss a bowl game, and that would put me in the fire Dan camp officially.

As of today, I want to see us win one of the following:

USC
A&M
Bama

And all of the following:

UK
Ark
OM

...in order for him to keep his job.

But if we play with max effort each game and for a solid 4 quarters, I would probably be fine with just wins over UK, Ark, and OM

slickdawg
10-21-2013, 12:02 PM
He will be our coach next year.

If he gets us to a bowl AND beats either USC/TAMU/Bama , then I extend his contract a year. If not, he's got 3 left.

Barking 13
10-21-2013, 12:06 PM
If they lose 3 out of 4 and then somehow lose all (or most) the recruits we have verbally commited.. I'll go rent the damn truck...

He can start by wiping that stupid ass grin off his face when we lose.. and quit chewing on that damn playcard.. you look like Felker picking grass...

engie
10-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Some of "my feelings" about Mullen honestly depends on how Hudspeth finishes.
He's 4-2 with this remaining:
@Arkansas State
New Mexico St
Troy
@Georgia State
LA-Monroe
@South Alabama

If he goes 10-2, Mullen better damn well finish 7-5 -- thus beating someone he shouldn't for the first time since 2010.

The "air of invincibility" is gone from the teams in front of us on the schedule(outside of Alabama). We should have a chance to win all those games. Dan's excuses are over for me at this point. Figure it out and get it done.

Fader21
10-21-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't really know which camp I am in yet. I can see arguments for both sides. I might be leaning slightly towards the Fire Him camp. Just because, Mullen is in year 5. We should be definitely competing against the LSU's, TAMU, and BAMA's of the SEC. I don't like the fact that in year two Freeze can beat LSU with less overall talent than we have. so here is my two answers..

Fire Him- Doesn't make a bowl game. We have to beat Kentucky, Ole Miss, Arkansas... and I think we can beat USCe with their injuries right now.

Keep Him- He has to make a bowl game.

Dawgfan77
10-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Some of "my feelings" about Mullen honestly depends on how Hudspeth finishes.
He's 4-2 with this remaining:
@Arkansas State
New Mexico St
Troy
@Georgia State
LA-Monroe
@South Alabama

If he goes 10-2, Mullen better damn well finish 7-5 -- thus beating someone he shouldn't for the first time since 2010.

The "air of invincibility" is gone from the teams in front of us on the schedule(outside of Alabama). We should have a chance to win all those games. Dan's excuses are over for me at this point. Figure it out and get it done.

Engie do you think based on what you are hearing that if we go 5-7 and HUD ends up worst case 9-3 the money folks make a move. Hack feel free to chime in as well

curmudgeon
10-21-2013, 12:35 PM
0-17 against the Top 20. Likely 0-20 by the end of the year.

I think Mullen gets Kentucky and Arkansas, and we go into the Ole Miss game with a chance to get to six.

slickdawg
10-21-2013, 12:38 PM
0-17 against the Top 20. Likely 0-20 by the end of the year.

I think Mullen gets Kentucky and Arkansas, and we go into the Ole Miss game with a chance to get to six.

If we beat them can we storm the field?**

Big4Dawg
10-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Engie do you think based on what you are hearing that if we go 5-7 and HUD ends up worst case 9-3 the money folks make a move. Hack feel free to chime in as well

Wonder this as well.

engie
10-21-2013, 12:45 PM

I can't say for sure -- but there will be significant pressure to not "miss" on Hud -- which is a card he's already started playing with us to an extent.

biscuit
10-21-2013, 12:46 PM
I said at the beginning of the year that I just want a bowl game. 6 wins gets that and I'm happy. Keep that bowl stretch going because, and I hate to say this, we should be pretty stout next year.

slickdawg
10-21-2013, 12:52 PM
I said at the beginning of the year that I just want a bowl game. 6 wins gets that and I'm happy. Keep that bowl stretch going because, and I hate to say this, we should be pretty stout next year.

Barring OL injuries and Dak injuries, we will be very good next year. Talent and depth all over the field. But I'm not giving up on this year, we can still get 6-7 wins.

Dawgface
10-21-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm not close to any of the 'cigar' boys so I have no idea what they are thinking. For me, I would be content with one more year if we go 6-6. I imagine he will be given one more year if we go 5-7. But 4-8 or worse? Even the money boys will have a hard time digesting that, I would think.

Dawgfan77
10-21-2013, 01:19 PM
I can't say for sure -- but there will be significant pressure to not "miss" on Hud -- which is a card he's already started playing with us to an extent.

That's my fear or he is wanting the max we can give

msugolf
10-21-2013, 01:22 PM
2 schools to keep a close eye on regarding Hud will be UNC and Vandy, assuming Franklin bolts. If we don't hire Hud after this year then he most likely will take another job. The shelf life for a coach only lasts so long and he is going to strike while the iron is hot and I don't blame him. I don't expect him to sit around and wait year after year on MState.

BHildreth3
10-21-2013, 01:28 PM
If we lose out - he needs to be gone and Hud needs to be recruiting the Monday after the Egg Bowl.

TrapGame
10-21-2013, 01:41 PM
If we go 5-7 with a close win vs UK and the losses to Ark, USC, A&M and OM are just unacceptable beat downs then Mullen needs to go. I'm not sure I'm sold on Hud but his resume is looking good. I'm to the point where I think Mullen has reached his potential as a head coach in the SEC and he knows it. I would not be overly surprised if we go 6-6 that Mullen leaves for a smaller program up North.

Dawgfan77
10-21-2013, 01:53 PM
We won't lose out I don't think. Not sur how you cannot be sold on HUD. Guy has one on every level and now is winning at a sun belt doormat

Barking 13
10-21-2013, 02:02 PM
We won't lose out I don't think. Not sur how you cannot be sold on HUD. Guy has one on every level and now is winning at a sun belt doormat

A lot depends on who he brings with him, but I guess we will never know... by the time MSU makes a decision, he'll be gone, then we'll have to take what we can get, then be another 10 years catching back up again...

We'll be celebrating NC's in baseball and be competitive in basketball, so football will be right back to ho-hum like it always has... ****

TrapGame
10-21-2013, 02:29 PM
If we get spanked by Bucky the Beaver again I could see the money men get very vocal and the university tell Mullen that "We've decided to go in another direction for the good of the football program."

Johnson85
10-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Bowl game or bust.

If he doesn't get to a bowl game that will mean in the past two years, we will have had the coaching staff cost us two wins (UM and Northwestern 2012) and completely take us out of a winnable game (Ok St. 2013). Then we will have failed to come through in either of two toss up games (Aub '13 UM '13) and failed to get an upset against any of three very flawed teams in 2013 (A&M, USCe, and UM). We will also have had at least two embarrassing losses without effort (Bama and A&M 12). Our most impressive win in two years will have been what, a one point victory over Bowling Green???

This won't be like in the past where our schedule was bipolar, with mostly top 15 teams or imploding teams. He will have had five legitimate chances for his team to show up and compete for a tough win this year. If he doesn't come through in any of them after he shit the bed last year and showed up with an unprepared offense to start this season, it will be time for him to go (even though there's almost no chance he's getting fired for going 5-7).

cheewgumm
10-21-2013, 03:36 PM
In all honesty my thoughts on Mullen are that he has gotten us as far as he can. Granted we'll be "better" next year because our schedule will get easier.

We HAVE to have someone who can recruit well. There is no way around it. Mullen just can't like we have to have, imo. Can hud? I have no clue.

If he wins 6, he probably keeps his job, but we are going to worse off in the long run because then we'll win 7 next year because of schedule...then we will never scehdule anyone good ever again, so he will be close to, or have 7 wins from here on out if he can get past this year. Another reason I'm so thankful for that Ok State game(not to start the argument again).

I want us to always win, so I'm not hoping for losses. I hope Mullen wns 7 or possibly 8 and "figures it out" so we can beat some decent teams next year. I'm not hopefuly given our recent past.

Political Hack
10-21-2013, 03:39 PM

I think they'll try. And if Hud accepts, it'll happen.

maroonmania
10-21-2013, 03:42 PM

I am not in the fire Dan Mullen camp at this point, but if we did, recruiting would be the least of my concern. Mullen is JUST now after 5 years getting recruiting to where it should be and its still not great. Our OL, WR and QB recruiting in Mullen's first few years (after the initial year) was ROUGH and we are still suffering from that. And I doubt this year's class will be much higher that 30th ranked when all is said and done. Bring in a hot recruiting coach like Hud or the like with ties around the area and our recruiting will not miss a beat. Our program is not going to recruit equal with the SEC powers but with our facilities improvement, fan support over the past number of years and the overall rise of the SEC we are more attractive for a HS player than we've ever been in the history of the school. Heck, first year coaches like Freeze, Malzahn, Stoops and so on haven't taken years to get recruiting going. That's just not the way it works anymore if you are a true charismatic salesman. Unfortunately that's not what Mullen is so it has taken him a while to upgrade recruiting. Our primary institutional drawback of course is an archaic compliance approach which certainly doesn't help matters.

Vandownbytheriver
10-21-2013, 03:45 PM
He has to get a fulltime OC and get rid of Sallach and Hevesy for me to want him around. Even if we do go to a bowl, I think that has to happen.

Coach34
10-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Mullen has been to 3 straight bowl games and will be 5-7 at worst with a young team. Unless something crazy happens- Keenum is not going to pull the trigger.

We'll have 16 starters returning in 2014
An exciting QB
Very good RB's
Experienced WR's
All but one DL player returning
All but one LB returning
An experienced Secondary

We would have to lose out for any chance of Mullen being fired. When your AD apologizes for scheduling OK State and you miss a bowl by one game- he aint firing the HC

blacklistedbully
10-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Bowl game or bust.

If he doesn't get to a bowl game that will mean in the past two years, we will have had the coaching staff cost us two wins (UM and Northwestern 2012) and completely take us out of a winnable game (Ok St. 2013). Then we will have failed to come through in either of two toss up games (Aub '13 UM '13) and failed to get an upset against any of three very flawed teams in 2013 (A&M, USCe, and UM). We will also have had at least two embarrassing losses without effort (Bama and A&M 12). Our most impressive win in two years will have been what, a one point victory over Bowling Green???

This won't be like in the past where our schedule was bipolar, with mostly top 15 teams or imploding teams. He will have had five legitimate chances for his team to show up and compete for a tough win this year. If he doesn't come through in any of them after he shit the bed last year and showed up with an unprepared offense to start this season, it will be time for him to go (even though there's almost no chance he's getting fired for going 5-7).

Great post!

dawgoneyall
10-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Win out. Other than bama.

Stop going into the four corner with a lead. Beat teams by as much as you can.

If we are fortunate enough to have a lead form here on out and he goes into the four corner he should be fire on the spot. That has become far beyond old.

Political Hack
10-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Mullen has been to 3 straight bowl games and will be 5-7 at worst with a young team. Unless something crazy happens- Keenum is not going to pull the trigger.

We'll have 16 starters returning in 2014
An exciting QB
Very good RB's
Experienced WR's
All but one DL player returning
All but one LB returning
An experienced Secondary

We would have to lose out for any chance of Mullen being fired. When your AD apologizes for scheduling OK State and you miss a bowl by one game- he aint firing the HC

you're basing this on conjecture instead of known information though.

Coach34
10-21-2013, 04:28 PM
you're basing this on conjecture instead of known information though.

I know all about the boosters and their contact with Hud- and I fully realize they may try to push for it.

I personally dont see Keenum caving 1 year after going to the Gator Bowl unless we end up 4-8 with a bad loss in the Egg Bowl (14+ points). That's the only way I can even see it being considered.

I think the boosters are looking at it as a chance to set Hud up with an 8-9 win team and then try to garner a bunch of recruiting momentum.
I think the administration is looking at it as Mullen has built this team and we will give him 2014 to see if he can right the ship.

Bothrops
10-21-2013, 04:30 PM
I'd give him another year if we beat OM and finished 5-7. But he would be under close evaluation from start to finish next year.

trob115
10-21-2013, 04:36 PM
The "big" boosters I know say bowl or bust. Not saying that's what will happen thats just what I know personally.

civildawg
10-21-2013, 04:41 PM
In all honesty my thoughts on Mullen are that he has gotten us as far as he can. Granted we'll be "better" next year because our schedule will get easier.

We HAVE to have someone who can recruit well. There is no way around it. Mullen just can't like we have to have, imo. Can hud? I have no clue.

If he wins 6, he probably keeps his job, but we are going to worse off in the long run because then we'll win 7 next year because of schedule...then we will never scehdule anyone good ever again, so he will be close to, or have 7 wins from here on out if he can get past this year. Another reason I'm so thankful for that Ok State game(not to start the argument again).

I want us to always win, so I'm not hoping for losses. I hope Mullen wns 7 or possibly 8 and "figures it out" so we can beat some decent teams next year. I'm not hopefuly given our recent past.

This post sums up my thoughts exactly

trob115
10-21-2013, 04:43 PM
We need to win 1/3 of the A&M, SC, and Bama games and 3/3 of the rest. I am tired of the same excuses week to week from Mullen.

Dawgfan77
10-21-2013, 04:48 PM
With that team returning and the schedule next year the AD and president along with the BIG money folk will have to weigh the option do we keep Dan and keep having dwindling attendance or do we make a change I will say this if they do make a change they better have HUD or Morris in the bag before hand.

Dawgowar
10-21-2013, 06:21 PM

Please clarify, are you hating that Mullen may be building a program and with another year of growth he might produce a better record? OR, you would hate if we won six games and are pulling against the team?

Obviously, you are entitled to any opinion you see fit but the idea you would hate a coach to succeed or the team to win would be in poor taste by any standard.

CadaverDawg
10-21-2013, 06:27 PM
We need to win 1/3 of the A&M, SC, and Bama games and 3/3 of the rest. I am tired of the same excuses week to week from Mullen.

This^

preachermatt83
10-21-2013, 09:20 PM
I know all about the boosters and their contact with Hud- and I fully realize they may try to push for it.

I personally dont see Keenum caving 1 year after going to the Gator Bowl unless we end up 4-8 with a bad loss in the Egg Bowl (14+ points). That's the only way I can even see it being considered.

I think the boosters are looking at it as a chance to set Hud up with an 8-9 win team and then try to garner a bunch of recruiting momentum.
I think the administration is looking at it as Mullen has built this team and we will give him 2014 to see if he can right the ship.

and that is a great idea...but instead our administration will wait til it completely tanks and hud is off to somewhere else and then we will hire some other Coordinator to have to start from the ground up... dumb dumb dumb