PDA

View Full Version : Ok guys, we're at the halfway point of the football season.....

CadaverDawg
10-21-2013, 11:47 AM
It's time to name your surprises of the season so far.

They can be individual players, coaches, positions, whatever. List your most pleasant surprise, and your worst surprise.

I'll start....

Best surprise: Chris Jones. I did not expect him to contribute much this year, and I definitely thought it would be at DE if he did. He has become one of the best DT's in the SEC and he is only 6 games in to his freshman year. This dude is going to be even better than I thought.

Worst surprise: I have 2. First, Malcolm Johnson and the TE's as a whole. I thought they were going to be a big part of our offense this year, and they simply have not. This is probably more on our scheme and coaches than it is on Malcolm and Brandon Hill.

Second, is our 4th quarter and second half performance. I don't think this needs explaining.

ETA: I'm also a little surprised that Jeremy Chappelle has not been involved at all on offense. Mullen is not typically a guy that brings in a JUCO skilled guy and doesn't play him a lot. Not saying Chappelle has looked great or anything, just surprised we haven't seen him more involved.

FISHDAWG
10-21-2013, 11:50 AM
best - C. Jones
worst = Devon Bell

CadaverDawg
10-21-2013, 11:52 AM
best - C. Jones
worst = Devon Bell

Damn, I forgot about Bell somehow. Good one

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Best surprise: I was going to use Chris Jones, but since you took him, I'll take Dak Prescott with Tubby coming in second. I didn't realize that Dak possessed the the ability to manipulate the pocket and show the breakaway speed like he does. His first quarter TD against LSU and long TD against Bowling Green combined with his ability to always fall forward showed me a weapon that MSU has not seen much in its history. My guess is that, once we commit fully to him at QB, he turns into a great equalizer against top teams. Simply, our WRs don't have to be great to get open if he can buy time. Kinda like Manziel.

Worst Surprise: Nickoe, I really expected Nickoe to back this year. Not sure if he is still hurt, but his lack of wrapping up when tackling and lack of speed at safety is flat killing us.

CadaverDawg
10-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Best surprise: I was going to use Chris Jones, but since you took him, I'll take Dak Prescott with Tubby coming in second. I didn't realize that Dak possessed the the ability to manipulate the pocket and show the breakaway speed like he does. His first quarter TD against LSU and long TD against Bowling Green combined with his ability to always fall forward showed me a weapon that MSU has not seen much in its history. My guess is that, once we commit fully to him at QB, he turns into a great equalizer against top teams. Simply, our WRs don't have to be great to get open if he can buy time. Kinda like Manziel.

Worst Surprise: Nickoe, I really expected Nickoe to back this year. Not sure if he is still hurt, but his lack of wrapping up when tackling and lack of speed at safety is flat killing us.

That's two really good ones too. The Dak one is a great breakdown of what he can do. Our offense should be fun to watch the next few years.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-21-2013, 11:58 AM
It's time to name your surprises of the season so far.

They can be individual players, coaches, positions, whatever. List your most pleasant surprise, and your worst surprise.

I'll start....

Best surprise: Chris Jones. I did not expect him to contribute much this year, and I definitely thought it would be at DE if he did. He has become one of the best DT's in the SEC and he is only 6 games in to his freshman year. This dude is going to be even better than I thought.

Worst surprise: I have 2. First, Malcolm Johnson and the TE's as a whole. I thought they were going to be a big part of our offense this year, and they simply have not. This is probably more on our scheme and coaches than it is on Malcolm and Brandon Hill.

Second, is our 4th quarter and second half performance. I don't think this needs explaining.

ETA: I'm also a little surprised that Jeremy Chappelle has not been involved at all on offense. Mullen is not typically a guy that brings in a JUCO skilled guy and doesn't play him a lot. Not saying Chappelle has looked great or anything, just surprised we haven't seen him more involved.

Probably my biggest surprise is how fast Dak is. I didn't realize he was that explosive.

slickdawg
10-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Best surprise: Tubby - he's been fabulous this year. Jones is a close second.

Worst Surprise: Devon Bell and Devon Bell, followed by Devon Bell

MarketingBully01
10-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Best surprise: Chris Jones and Dak

Worst Surprise: Devin Bell

To add, we have got to find a consistent place kicker. If we don't, I am not sure we can pull an upset. Blame Mullen all you want for the Auburn loss but if Bell makes an easy Field goal that Auburn game is totally different and puts all the pressure on Auburn. 1-4 from the 30-39 range means we missed out on 9 easy points somewhere and at least 6 of those points were against Auburn and LSU. I am not even talking about the 45-49 range field goals of which he was 1-3 and my opinion you are good if you go 50% on those. You should nail 100% on the 30-39 range and lower. Mullen has got to give someone else a try. To me, place kicking is the biggest weakness we have and needs to be fixed immediately if we are going to win against a USC or an A&M. Time to let Bell go in my opinion.

Coach34
10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Biggest Surprises:

TE's dropping passes
Whitley playing in spite of being terrible
Autry not standing out
Robert Johnson not being more of a factor
JRob not getting more carries

Pleasant surprises:

Jameon playing to his ability
Dakota getting the keys to the offense
Mullen going back to what he knows best
OL overcoming injuries
Chris Jones playing well at DT

Barking 13
10-21-2013, 12:23 PM
all of the above...

CJDAWG85
10-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Best Surprise: The Dakken

Worst Surprise: Tie between Denico, MOJO, and Bell

Dare2Dv8
10-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Best surprise: JLew, CJones, Dak
Worst: our play in finishing games (Just MISSING it, Bell)

camsu
10-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Best: Beckwith --- stepping in and doing a good job. Remember a walkon
Worst: 4th Q and Whitley, I thought he would return to old form -- not