Coach007
03-18-2019, 10:25 AM
I can see us cruising to that point.

Cloak
03-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Lol

BeastMan
03-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Absolutely nothing is given in March. That said, we have as good a path to S16 as we could have asked for

Coach007
03-18-2019, 10:33 AM
I do not think Liberty nor V-Tech/St Louis can handle MSST.. That puts us in the SS

BeastMan
03-18-2019, 10:34 AM
I do not think Liberty nor V-Tech/St Louis can handle MSST.. That puts us in the SS

VT beat Duke. They can handle anybody in this tournament on the right day

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-18-2019, 10:34 AM

Va Tech beat Duke FYI

msstate7
03-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Va Tech beat Duke FYI

Also beat a very good Purdue team

StarkVegasSteve
03-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Lamar and Holman will be as big as any two players we have this weekend, assuming Nick still isn't cleared to play. You know what you're going to get from Q, Tyson, and the Freshman, but if Lamar and Holman can continue playing the way they did against A&M and Tennessee in the tourney we can get out of San Jose and set up a date with K and Zion.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2019, 10:46 AM
The round of 32 isn't even a given.

MetEdDawg
03-18-2019, 10:50 AM
We should beat Liberty. That's the only expectation anyone of us should have in this tournament. Virginia Tech would most likely be favored against us but it doesn't matter. That's not a game you go into and say you should win. That's a game you go into saying if we play our game we should give ourselves a solid chance to win.

Cooterpoot
03-18-2019, 10:52 AM
I trust this team less than a Taco Bell fart. Nothing is given with them.

Saltydog
03-18-2019, 10:58 AM

Really?

Hey, we were favored in the Outback bowl too and see how that turned out.

ScottH
03-18-2019, 11:03 AM
VT is very good.

BeastMan
03-18-2019, 11:04 AM
Nothing would shock me with this team, losing to Liberty or making the Elite 8. I’m really leaning to and hoping S16 but I’m not S16 or bust by any means.

Dawgbite
03-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Truer words have never been spoken!

louisvilledawg
03-18-2019, 11:16 AM

I see you're new to Mississippi State fandom. Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

smootness
03-18-2019, 11:23 AM
I'll be honest, if I wasn't a State fan, I'd be picking Liberty to beat us. Not because Liberty is a better team but because there are always 12's that beat 5's, and looking objectively, we don't seem like a super dangerous 5 and Liberty seems like a decent 12.

fishwater99
03-18-2019, 11:31 AM
It's a real possibility, but not a given. VT is a really good team...

smootness
03-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Nothing would shock me with this team, losing to Liberty or making the Elite 8. I’m really leaning to and hoping S16 but I’m not S16 or bust by any means.

Beating Duke wouldn't shock you?

msstate7
03-18-2019, 11:42 AM

If anyone can stop Zion, it's Holman**

smootness
03-18-2019, 11:48 AM

If we get to the Sweet 16, he may score 50 on us. On 100% dunks.

msstate7
03-18-2019, 11:52 AM
If we get to the Sweet 16, he may score 50 on us. On 100% dunks.

I'll take it... sign us up

smootness
03-18-2019, 11:58 AM
I'll take it... sign us up

Me too

On the one hand, hey, we made the Sweet 16 for the first time in 23 years, that is awesome. And we're playing Duke!

On the other hand, we also get to see thunderous dunks on every defensive trip, which is kind of exciting.

Covercorner2
03-18-2019, 12:00 PM
FWIW, this has VT as essentially a 1 point favorite against us on a neutral court (which it obviously will be):

https://pregame.com/pregame-forums/f/cbb/1739389/college-basketball-power-ratings-for-all-tournament-teams-updated-3-18

msstate7
03-18-2019, 12:00 PM
FWIW, this has VT as essentially a 1 point favorite against us on a neutral court (which it obviously will be):

https://pregame.com/pregame-forums/f/cbb/1739389/college-basketball-power-ratings-for-all-tournament-teams-updated-3-18

Interesting. I figured they'd be more 5-6 point fav

Liverpooldawg
03-18-2019, 12:01 PM

VPI beat Duke.

msstate7
03-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Me too

On the one hand, hey, we made the Sweet 16 for the first time in 23 years, that is awesome. And we're playing Duke!

On the other hand, we also get to see thunderous dunks on every defensive trip, which is kind of exciting.

The part of Zion's game I find the most captivating is his ability to go coast to coast in like 2 seconds with the ball in his hands. I said on SPS that he's like some freak hybrid of Corliss Williamson and Vince carter.

Covercorner2
03-18-2019, 12:03 PM
Interesting. I figured they'd be more 5-6 point fav

Just one guy's opinion, but they seem pretty spot on...

smootness
03-18-2019, 12:04 PM
I think we have about a 65% chance of beating Liberty and about a 40% chance of beating Virginia Tech.

State82
03-18-2019, 12:09 PM
Absolutely nothing is given in March. That said, we have as good a path to S16 as we could have asked for

You got that right. The only "given" in the Dance is the 1 vs 16. Beyond that it's a crapshoot.

BeastMan
03-18-2019, 12:24 PM

Nothing really shocks me in March. They are the best team but not unbeatable as discussed in this thread.

smootness
03-18-2019, 12:26 PM
Nothing really shocks me in March. They are the best team but not unbeatable as discussed in this thread.

If that wouldn't shock you, then you might as well just say it wouldn't be a surprise if we won it all. Because they are clearly the best team in the country, and the best win we have this year is at home vs. Auburn.

BeastMan
03-18-2019, 12:53 PM
If that wouldn't shock you, then you might as well just say it wouldn't be a surprise if we won it all. Because they are clearly the best team in the country, and the best win we have this year is at home vs. Auburn.

Naw. I can see this team stringing together 3 good games before 6. MSU could easily win R1 with a B game, R2 with a B+ game, S16 with an A game, then dip back to B and lose.

StarkVegasSteve
03-18-2019, 01:01 PM
IF, and that's a big if, we make it to the S16 and play Duke I'd have to believe the motivation would be pretty simple. "You wanna play in the NBA? You think you're an NBA caliber guy? Go stop Zion and you won't have a problem finding a team that wants you."

msudawglb
03-18-2019, 01:09 PM

That literally made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

Cowbell
03-18-2019, 01:11 PM
This thread should be deleted, especially with the way we got owned just 3 nights ago.

smootness
03-18-2019, 01:19 PM
Naw. I can see this team stringing together 3 good games before 6. MSU could easily win R1 with a B game, R2 with a B+ game, S16 with an A game, then dip back to B and lose.

If you think they can beat VT with a B+ game and Duke with an A game, especially 'easily,' I don't know what to tell you.

MadDawg
03-18-2019, 01:24 PM

LOL. I know what you mean, but really this team is easy to predict. Win the games you should, lose the games you should. That would produce 1-1 in the tourney. We shall see.

I seen it dawg
03-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

MarketingBully
03-18-2019, 01:46 PM
Va Tech beat Duke FYI

Without Williamson though. Huge difference.

Dawg2003
03-18-2019, 02:14 PM
If this team has proven anything, it's that they lie down and die in big moments.

BeastMan
03-18-2019, 02:34 PM
If you think they can beat VT with a B+ game and Duke with an A game, especially 'easily,' I don't know what to tell you.

I said R1 easily. And we could absolutely beat VT with a B+ game. And with Duke it would take an A game paired with them not playing their A game. None of those are hot takes. You?re just arguing to argue or you?re not reading what I?m typing. Really not sure what you?re missing.

MetEdDawg
03-18-2019, 02:38 PM
I said R1 easily. And we could absolutely beat VT with a B+ game. And with Duke it would take an A game paired with them not playing their A game. None of those are hot takes. You?re just arguing to argue or you?re not reading what I?m typing. Really not sure what you?re missing.

Duke would have to play their B- or C game and we would have to play a Top 3 game of the year to beat Duke.

And a B+ game by us would have to be paired with a C game from Virginia Tech because they are better than us.

You are making it sound like it's gonna be easy is what I think most of us on here are taking it as. When you say we need our B+ game, you provided no context to the type of game Virginia Tech would have to play. I mean technically our D game probably beats Virginia Tech's F game.

Dawg2003
03-18-2019, 02:51 PM
Y'all are gonna get all involved and let this team break your hearts again. They have shown us who they are. Just enjoy the ride, and don't expect too much.

BB30
03-18-2019, 03:07 PM
If this group of guys just finds a way to put a complete game together they can beat anyone in the tournament. We continuously shoot ourselves in the feet with dumb turnovers and a lack of effort/carelessness at times.

Turnovers and waiting to turn the motor on until the second half has cost us some quality wins against the best opponents we have played this year. It's not like we were just that much worse than Auburn, Ky and LSU. We just have struggled to put a complete game together in the areas that should be the easiest part of your game to control.

We killed ourselves in the KY game, LSU game, second AU game, first OM game and the USC game. Really the only team that just downright beat us every time we played was UT. Even in the first UT game we made a bunch of careless mistakes and left probably 20 points on the floor in missed layups/dunks.

Now nothing throughout the whole season shows that we can fix that on a dime but, if they somehow just decide "hey, this is the NCAAT why don't we just play our a**'s off for these last games however many it may be and see where the chips fall they could make a nice run. I don't think it would be beating Duke nice but a sweet 16 appearance would be a welcome change from previous years and a good sign we are headed in the right direction.

Give Ben credit the guy has turned around a dumpster fire and made us competitive again fairly quickly. Some of yall had unrealistic expectations when we hired him and expected us to be final 4 material at this point or something despite the fact that we have never been a basketball school no matter how much you like to romanticize our past with Stansbury.

I'm just excited to see us competitive and making the tourney again. It is going to be fun.

Ari Gold
03-18-2019, 03:26 PM
This thread should be deleted, especially with the way we got owned just 3 nights ago.

Actually your post should be deleted ...

sleepy dawg
03-18-2019, 03:30 PM
This is the most unpredictable sporting event most of us will watch. Half the time kids and women who never watch pick better brackets than people who watch games all the time.

smootness
03-18-2019, 03:36 PM

When you say we beat VT with a B+ game, that insinuates that if we play our B+ game, it doesn't matter what VT plays, we'll win...which is obviously incorrect. Same with Duke. You've now clarified that Duke would have to not play their A game, but that's still not really correct. It would take us playing a type of game we haven't shown ourselves capable of this year combined with Duke also playing something like their B game in order to have a shot at that one.

BeastMan
03-18-2019, 03:56 PM
When you say we beat VT with a B+ game, that insinuates that if we play our B+ game, it doesn't matter what VT plays, we'll win...which is obviously incorrect. Same with Duke. You've now clarified that Duke would have to not play their A game, but that's still not really correct. It would take us playing a type of game we haven't shown ourselves capable of this year combined with Duke also playing something like their B game in order to have a shot at that one.

I said it wouldn’t shock me if we lost to Liberty or make a run. Jesus Christ y’all are insufferable about this team.

BeastMan
03-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Duke would have to play their B- or C game and we would have to play a Top 3 game of the year to beat Duke.

And a B+ game by us would have to be paired with a C game from Virginia Tech because they are better than us.

You are making it sound like it's gonna be easy is what I think most of us on here are taking it as. When you say we need our B+ game, you provided no context to the type of game Virginia Tech would have to play. I mean technically our D game probably beats Virginia Tech's F game.

Jesus H Christ... I said it wouldn’t shock me if we lost to Liberty... or made a run. Getting argued down on that just shows how much y’all hate this team. It’s crazy

Homedawg
03-18-2019, 04:00 PM
If we get lucky and get to Duke, Perry and Holman will have 10 fouls trying to guard Zion.

BeastMan
03-18-2019, 04:04 PM
If we get lucky and get to Duke, Perry and Holman will have 10 fouls trying to guard Zion.

I’m picking Duke to at least the Final 4 in my bracket, might end up being my champion. That said, having watched this tournament my whole life, Duke getting knocked out before the F4 isn’t some unfathomable pipe dream. It happens every year.

BeastMan
03-18-2019, 04:06 PM
I do not understand why our fans hate the best team we’ve had since Lawerence Roberts so much. Are they perfect? No. But they’re a got damn 5 seed in the tournament. Like I said, we could lose to Liberty but I hope they make a run so bad just so y’all miserable folks can’t enjoy it. It’s like Bizzaro world

basedog
03-18-2019, 04:20 PM
It's all about matchups, as long as we don't play a team who is physical and has presents in the paint we got a good chance of winning. Actually we are a pretty decent team, our record proves that along with a 5 seed.....oh wait we didn't play anyone**

MagicDawg
03-18-2019, 04:23 PM
Sweet Sixteen seems to be a given...

We're talking about the women, right?

CadaverDawg
03-18-2019, 04:27 PM
I love that nobody thinks we'll do anything in this tourney. That's right where we want to be. And keep in mind, UCLA losing to Princeton was never supposed to happen....who's to say Taco Fall and UCF don't pull the miracle in round 2 and we get them instead of Duke? March Madness, baby, ya never know! We're here, now it's all about matchups, hot streaks, & luck.

And if all else fails, just root for Cincinnati, Wofford, or St Mary's to win it all and just claim a national championship like UCF.**

MarketingBully
03-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Virginia Tech is very comparable to us. Va Tech has never gone to the Sweet 16 under Buzz Williams. He might have one foot out the door and take the A&M gig. Hell Saint Louis may beat them. You never know. It?s March Madness baby and Saint Louis had to win their tournament to get in the dance.

deadheaddawg
03-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Is the op trying to be funny or is he being serious? Because if he's trying to be funny, then he isn't. If he's being serious, then it's funny. Because that is a dumbass post

Coach007
03-19-2019, 10:54 AM
I do not understand why our fans hate the best team we’ve had since Lawerence Roberts so much. Are they perfect? No. But they’re a got damn 5 seed in the tournament. Like I said, we could lose to Liberty but I hope they make a run so bad just so y’all miserable folks can’t enjoy it. It’s like Bizzaro world

I don't hate any of our teams right now.

BuckyIsAB****
03-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Jesus H Christ... I said it wouldn’t shock me if we lost to Liberty... or made a run. Getting argued down on that just shows how much y’all hate this team. It’s crazy

Seeing them play with lack of effort then cry about no one going to the games will do that

smootness
03-19-2019, 11:25 AM

Please. I don't hate this team. I was basically joking about your Elite 8 comment, just kind of saying 'You know that includes Duke, right?'

MagicDawg
03-19-2019, 04:22 PM
I don't hate any of our teams. I just never consider anything a given in Mississippi State sports.

Coach007
03-22-2019, 08:52 PM
I'm here to eat it!

Cowbell
03-22-2019, 09:25 PM
Actually your post should be deleted ...

Yep Ari, I will say it again, someone should have deleted this thread. And no we also don?t need to pay Howland.

gravedigger
03-22-2019, 09:36 PM
If this team has proven anything, it's that they lie down and die in big moments.

So when trump said we?d get tired of winning, I guess he wasn?t kidding.

Saltydog
03-22-2019, 09:39 PM

Come again?

Bothrops
03-22-2019, 09:51 PM
This is about as good as it's going to be for us in men's hoops going forward. We were good enough to be upper middle SEC squad, but on a national scale that's pretty much average. Look at the game stats, it will tell you something. Just because we had the best team in 10 years doesn't mean we were very good.

CadaverDawg
03-22-2019, 10:01 PM
The round of 32 isn't even a given.

Hmm

Cloak
03-22-2019, 10:42 PM
Lol

Lol

Mobile Bay
03-22-2019, 10:51 PM
This didn't age well, dumbass.

msstate7
03-22-2019, 11:09 PM
Beating duke wouldn't surprise you, beast? Lol... this ground couldn't beat duke if they played us 4 on 5