PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Dogs #2 in the country now only behind

99jc
03-18-2019, 08:48 AM
ucla. We're headed to #1 soon.

ShotgunDawg
03-18-2019, 08:52 AM
Got a sneaky mid-week game in Birmingham this week vs Samford.

Then, lets see if the chair backs cannot be empty this weekend vs Auburn. Should have a women's basketball double up right?

msstate7
03-18-2019, 08:54 AM
We have our hands full this weekend. Really interested in these series this week: us and auburn, Florida at vandy, and LSU at Georgia.

smootness
03-18-2019, 10:06 AM

Then, lets see if the chair backs cannot be empty this weekend vs Auburn. Should have a women's basketball double up right?

That Friday game doesn't set up well for us. The men's team will be playing at the same time, and there's a chance the women's game is on campus at the same time. We're also facing Burns in that one. Could get interesting.

ShotgunDawg
03-18-2019, 10:16 AM
That Friday game doesn't set up well for us. The men's team will be playing at the same time, and there's a chance the women's game is on campus at the same time. We're also facing Burns in that one. Could get interesting.

One would think that our athletic department could finagle the start time so that it doesn't coincide with the Women's game. Put the men's game on the video board & have a pep rally

StarkVegasSteve
03-18-2019, 10:42 AM
One would think that our athletic department could finagle the start time so that it doesn't coincide with the Women's game. Put the men's game on the video board & have a pep rally

I'm sure the game will be on all the TVs in the concourse and surely the NCAA will allow us to have the women's games on the Saturday/Monday schedule.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2019, 10:44 AM
Good defense will be the difference this weekend. Two good pitching staffs, multiple close low scoring games, one error could be the difference in a W

Cooterpoot
03-18-2019, 10:49 AM
I think we sweep AU if we can get a quality start on Sunday.

MetEdDawg
03-18-2019, 10:51 AM

Tanner Burns is probably a Top 3 starter in the SEC and a future 1st round pick. Friday is going to be one of the hardest Friday games we have all year, maybe THE hardest.

msstate7
03-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Tanner Burns is probably a Top 3 starter in the SEC and a future 1st round pick. Friday is going to be one of the hardest Friday games we have all year, maybe THE hardest.

I agree with you, but small (while no where near the pro potential) is one hell of a college pitcher. I think small holds his own and one bullpen loses the game

ShotgunDawg
03-18-2019, 11:00 AM

Agree. If an overall draft was today, Burns would likely be the first SEC pitcher off the board. He'd go above Ginn and others today.

ShotgunDawg
03-18-2019, 11:01 AM
I agree with you, but small (while no where near the pro potential) is one hell of a college pitcher. I think small holds his own and one bullpen loses the game

Agree. Small's skill set is kryptonite to 99% of college hitter's skill sets. He'll cruise to AA until his breaking ball becomes exposed a bit.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2019, 11:01 AM
I hope we can be patient and try to work his pitch count. I'm not sure aggressiveness at the plate is the route we want to take Friday. What say you guys?

Cooterpoot
03-18-2019, 11:05 AM

So is Small (great pitcher). At home with a big crowd I like our chances. I also think AU is overrated.

Cooterpoot
03-18-2019, 11:09 AM
I hope we can be patient and try to work his pitch count. I'm not sure aggressiveness at the plate is the route we want to take Friday. What say you guys?

If he’s pounding the zone, you attack.

ShotgunDawg
03-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Agree to some degree, but Burns has 48 strikeouts in in 33.1 innings, so he's got an out pitch that we need to avoid by swinging early in the count. I think he's a fastball/slider type guy, so you want to get as many lefties in the lineup as possible & hope to ambush him.

ShotgunDawg
03-18-2019, 11:10 AM
So is Small (great pitcher). At home with a big crowd I like our chances. I also think AU is overrated.

Auburn is overall not a great team, but on Friday night they are really good.

Cooterpoot
03-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Auburn is overall not a great team, but on Friday night they are really good.

And we are an overall good team, and really good on Friday and Saturday. This team seems pretty locked in for early season. I feel really good about what I’ve seen. Get Sunday pitching straight and we’re as good as anyone.

Todd4State
03-18-2019, 01:09 PM
Then their Saturday guy for Auburn has even better numbers than Burns. Jack Owen is his name.

Commercecomet24
03-18-2019, 01:18 PM
And we are an overall good team, and really good on Friday and Saturday. This team seems pretty locked in for early season. I feel really good about what I’ve seen. Get Sunday pitching straight and we’re as good as anyone.

Agree. This team seems to be on a mission too. They seem to find a way to make the plays that win games. They're confident, scrappy and talented and that's a great recipe!

MetEdDawg
03-18-2019, 01:19 PM
Then their Saturday guy for Auburn has even better numbers than Burns. Jack Owen is his name.

To me they have the 2nd best Friday/Saturday combo behind only Small and Ginn. And I don't think the gap is very big.

Auburn can pitch it. They struggle hitting, but they can pitch it, and that's not a surprise considering Butch is their HC.

I would be very happy to win 2 out of 3.

I seen it dawg
03-18-2019, 01:25 PM

Thank you. Butch is a *****. That's the difference.

TNDawg35
03-18-2019, 01:29 PM
So, UA pitches good. So do we.

They struggle hitting, we don’t overall

We just tore Florida’s Fri and Sat guy a new asshole on the rd. We made Sully want to go hide in the tanning booth.

Like said above, if Plum or Keegan has a good Sunday, we sweep.

PKADogs55
03-18-2019, 01:39 PM

Its going to be a fight, but I agree. State (so far) has made the most of their opportunities, I think they get it done all weekend.

Todd4State
03-18-2019, 05:23 PM
To me they have the 2nd best Friday/Saturday combo behind only Small and Ginn. And I don't think the gap is very big.

Auburn can pitch it. They struggle hitting, but they can pitch it, and that's not a surprise considering Butch is their HC.

I would be very happy to win 2 out of 3.

I agree. They are currently #1 in the SEC in pitching and we are number 2. Both MSU and Auburn have almost identical fielding percentages. But MSU has the advantage in three areas this weekend- hitting we are second in average, second in slugging percentage, and 8th in OBP compared to Auburn's 11th in average, 13th in slugging, and 12th in OBP despite playing most of their games in a notorious hitters ballpark. The second is Auburn has only thrown out three baserunners the entire year in 18 attempts and offensively we have shown that we can run and play small ball if we have to. After we ran at will on Maine I suspect that our staff will pick up on that. The last advantage that we have is homefield. Auburn has been on the road for one series against UCF where they took two of three and one midweek game against South Alabama which I'm sure was probably really more like a neutral site game for them. Needless to say that we will be their most difficult road test thus far.

RocketDawg
03-18-2019, 05:56 PM

I noticed on HailState that the weekend games have tickets for $15. Does that mean they're filling up the chair backs?

Todd4State
03-18-2019, 06:24 PM
I noticed on HailState that the weekend games have tickets for $15. Does that mean they're filling up the chair backs?

I think that means that they are trying to fill up the chairbacks at least.

ZedFedder
03-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Jack Owen was committed to us while Butch was here. Followed him to Auburn.

Homedawg
03-18-2019, 07:23 PM
I think that means that they are trying to fill up the chairbacks at least.

Chairbacks arent available yet.

Todd4State
03-18-2019, 07:24 PM
Chairbacks arent available yet.

That's right. They go on sale on Tuesday for BC members and then Weds to the general public.