PDA

View Full Version : SEC West in Baseball

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2019, 03:41 PM
The SEC West in baseball is as ridiculous as it's ever been this year.

With A&M taking 2/3 from Vandy and MSU taking 2/3 from Florida, the conference is just as heavily weighted towards the West in baseball as it is in football.

MSU - Omaha

A&M - Two dominant lefty starters in Lacy and Doxakis

Arkansas - All around good team with two high first rounders for the 2020 draft along with the league's best closer

Auburn - Best Friday starter in the country in Tanner Burns

OM - Can hit

LSU - Overrated but still damn good

Bama - Off to a good start although clearly the worst team in the division.

It's just silly this year.

Todd4State
03-17-2019, 03:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing this morning.

msstate7
03-17-2019, 03:47 PM
After 3 weekends last year, we were 2-7 in sec play. Kinda silly to judge the conference after 1 weekend

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2019, 03:50 PM
I was thinking the same thing this morning.

You can make a case that there are 10-11 further 1st round picks in the SEC West this year from Freshmen to Juniors.

That ludicrous in a sport that drafts HS players.

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2019, 03:51 PM
After 3 weekends last year, we were 2-7 in sec play. Kinda silly to judge the conference after 1 weekend

Judging talent. Not results. So yes, you can make a judgment on the quality.

msstate7
03-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Judging talent. Not results. So yes, you can make a judgment on the quality.

So in your judgement, aTm is more talented than vandy since you circled that matchup?

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2019, 03:57 PM
So in your judgement, aTm is more talented than vandy since you circled that matchup?

Didn't say that. It does mean AM has weapons though.

msstate7
03-17-2019, 04:02 PM
I think we are damn good... probably the class of the sec so far. Last year just taught me a lesson I have to relearn every now and then, it's a long season.

Dawg2003
03-17-2019, 04:29 PM
It's a long season. At the end of the day, it's about how you are playing down the stretch. A lot of great teams don't make it to Omaha. Baseball is a long season, and things are fluid.

Commercecomet24
03-17-2019, 05:08 PM
The SEC West in baseball is more talented than the SEC west in football and that's saying something. It's crazy the amount of baseball talent in the sec west and the sec overall. Just ridiculous!

basedog
03-17-2019, 06:07 PM
Sec West in Baseball is always more competitive than Football in the West.

RocketDawg
03-17-2019, 06:14 PM
Sec West in Baseball is always more competitive than Football in the West.

Surprised Bama hasn't convinced Saban to coach baseball in that case.

basedog
03-17-2019, 06:18 PM
Surprised Bama hasn't convinced Saban to coach baseball in that case.

In football in the West, It's Bama by a long shot, not so in Baseball.

Todd4State
03-17-2019, 06:46 PM
You can make a case that there are 10-11 further 1st round picks in the SEC West this year from Freshmen to Juniors.

That ludicrous in a sport that drafts HS players.

Are they legit guys like JT that are going to school or are they guys like Brent Rooker that develop late in general? I'm sure there are some that fall into both categories.

Todd4State
03-17-2019, 06:48 PM
The SEC West in baseball is more talented than the SEC west in football and that's saying something. It's crazy the amount of baseball talent in the sec wear and the sec overall. Just ridiculous!

What's amazing is it's really the SEC. We're in a period right now where it seems like the teams that have been down like Bama, Tennessee, and Auburn are on the upswing all at the same time but the regular powers are still just as good and don't appear to be budging much if at all.

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2019, 07:20 PM
Are they legit guys like JT that are going to school or are they guys like Brent Rooker that develop late in general? I'm sure there are some that fall into both categories.

A mixture of both. There may be even more from the freshmen group that haven't revealed themselves yet

The Federalist Engineer
03-17-2019, 09:11 PM
We own Alabama in recruiting, how did we let Auburn get Tanner Burns?

All joking aside, we got the 3 next highest ranked players in Alabama...didn't work out

Jordan Anderson, Owen Lovell, and Chad Bryant

Homedawg
03-17-2019, 09:13 PM
Glad yesterday's second game didn't even matter.......***

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2019, 09:23 PM

All joking aside, we got the 3 next highest ranked players in Alabama...didn't work out

I wouldn't say we own Alabama in recruiting. We do well there, but they still get high level players. Burn, Mize, Holland, etc

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
03-17-2019, 09:25 PM

Anybody know where Lovell and Bryant are now? I remember Lovell having the family issue and hope that family is healing - wondered if he caught on with another school.

Todd4State
03-17-2019, 09:29 PM
Anybody know where Lovell and Bryant are now? I remember Lovell having the family issue and hope that family is healing - wondered if he caught on with another school.

Unless he went somewhere else to play baseball Lovell pretty much decided to leave the game. Bryant is at a JUCO I believe in Florida and is a draft prospect.

Commercecomet24
03-18-2019, 02:54 PM
What's amazing is it's really the SEC. We're in a period right now where it seems like the teams that have been down like Bama, Tennessee, and Auburn are on the upswing all at the same time but the regular powers are still just as good and don't appear to be budging much if at all.

This. The whole conference is talented. The SEC conference schedule is a gauntlet.