PDA

View Full Version : Florida Thoughts

Todd4State
03-17-2019, 01:02 AM
Great series win for MSU! Hope O'Sullivan had a shitty St. Patrick's Day weekend and was miserable watching our pitchers shove it and guys like Mangum and MacNamee pimping on them. I don't have a problem doing that on Florida considering how O'Sullivan acted after they won their SR in 2011. I honestly wonder if he gives recruits a golden ticket when he offers them because he looks like an extra on Willy Wonka. The seniors in the outfield and Small and Ginn kind of carried us this weekend. Really tough series for us considering this was our first road game of the year- I don't count tournaments at a AA stadium as a true road game. And then the DH kind of complicated things for us some- but we still won the series. I thought it could go either way really going in because despite their midweek losses Florida is a good team- just not as good as the past 2-3 years- and as I mentioned it was our first games on the road.

Small and Ginn are now going to get some more attention from around the college baseball community. Both had 10+ K's and were dominant. I think we left Ginn in a little longer because of his pitch count being low, the fact that he was cruising, and the fact that we had a second game to play and needed to conserve our bullpen because we know Keegan is only going to give us 3-5 on a good day. Leibelt really stepped up this weekend when our normal bullpen aces scuffled. I think Cole will put this behind him and Colby learned some things about the SEC as well. I thought it was good to see Self, Price, and Barlow have productive outings. Keegan not going deep into games is an issue. We're going to have to figure something out the next two weeks- after this week we only play one midweek game a week and that will help a little bit. Not playing DH if the weather cooperates will help too. It's time to stop trying to make Keegan go through a lineup 2-3 times because he can't do it.

Skelton had a good weekend at the plate hitting two doubles and four hits and got a bunt down to boot. He's easily our most improved player on the team and all of a sudden he is hitting close to .300. It looks like Tanner Allen has busted out of his slump and I hope he didn't take out any kids or people dressed up like cartoon characters at Disney World with that bomb that he hit. Halter is hanging in there. He had a double but he's going to be bottom of the order guy throughout the year. I'll take .281 from him at this point. Foscue's home run in game one really set the tone for our offense on Friday and he's going to be among the league leaders in home runs. Good to see Westburg back. He had some issues defensively at times and didn't get a ton of hits but when he did he did damage with two doubles and a couple of RBI's. I think he was about to bust out when he bruised his hip but his best days are ahead of him this year.

Rowdey went 0-for and was finally sat down. Gautreau will work with him and I think he will come back in a big way by the end of the year. Hatcher filled in nicely for him though and got hits every game and is up at .500 right now. When Rowdey does come back I think Hatcher has to stay in the lineup at DH or first base with Tanner Allen going to DH. Mangum and MacNamee were the co-MVP's on the weekend. The way that they played shows why it is important to have seniors on a college baseball team. Their experience really led us this weekend. Or they just really like playing in Florida. Mangum had five hits including a home run and a double. His home run really set the tone for us in game two off of a guy that had the lowest ERA in Florida's weekend rotation. MacNamee's catch in game one was maybe the key play in the game considering how the 8th and 9th went. He had seven hits including a home run and two doubles himself as well and now leads the team in average at the moment. Florida made a couple of great plays that kept us from sweeping them- but that's how it goes sometimes. If you throw strikes and play good defense in general you are going to win most of your games and that's what our focus needs to be.

I really separate the season mentally down into sections. The first section is the pre-conference section. The second part is the first five weeks of the SEC season. This is where to me a lot of the adjustments and growth occurs. Unfortunately that sometimes means taking lumps like we did last year. This team is much better and we already have as many SEC wins as we did the first three weeks. But there is still some growth that I think will occur in the meantime. After that growth occurs then the next section is the last five weeks of SEC play where things start to really gel going into the last section which is the postseason. I'm hoping to see some guys like Cerentola, Hayden Jones, Landon Jordan, and Cumbest make some strides and grow the next few weeks and other guys like Cole and Rowdey get things straightened out. Other teams are in the same situation kind of- and I think we will continue to pile wins in the meantime despite playing really tough competition. The tough thing about this week for us is we have five games this week. We go home to play UALR and I think we will be OK but we're going to see Cerentola make a start there and then we have a good RPI opportunity against Samford on the road the next day. I expect Plumlee to start that one. Auburn will be a tough series as well. We all know how good Butch Thompson is with pitchers and they have some good ones like Tanner Burns who is going to be a first round pick next year unless he gets hurt or does something illegal. Their SS Will Holland is also a top prospect as well and probably a first round pick himself. Their most impressive wins are over UCF on the road which they took two of three and then this weekend they are up 2-0 on an improved Tennessee team at home. It looks like some low scoring games this weekend- at least the first two. But this time we will be at home and hopefully the weather will actually cooperate. Another weekend, another war.

Hail State!

shoeless joe
03-17-2019, 05:43 AM
Pitching is and always has been the key. Our bats are becoming a huge positive. Made them pay for mistakes. The only glaring negative I’ve seen so far...and I haven’t watched a ton...is we are WEAK up the middle on the infield compared to years past. We win even more lopsided in game 1 if we do a couple routine things there.

Todd4State
03-17-2019, 07:56 AM
Pitching is and always has been the key. Our bats are becoming a huge positive. Made them pay for mistakes. The only glaring negative I’ve seen so far...and I haven’t watched a ton...is we are WEAK up the middle on the infield compared to years past. We win even more lopsided in game 1 if we do a couple routine things there.

I agree. We miss Stovall and LA defensively. Also would be two more good senior leaders on the field with Mangum and MacNamee. But while we aren't as good there as we were last year I think we are adequate.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-17-2019, 08:12 AM
our middle infield defense should get better as the season goes on... Rowdy’s batting can’t go anywhere but up, but he has some bad mechanics at the plate that can be worked out in the cage.... the #3 starter concerns me more than anything...I see both James and Gordon as middle relief guys...

DownwardDawg
03-17-2019, 08:34 AM
Great write up Todd. I enjoyed reading that over coffee this morning, recovering from my trip to Orlando. Speaking of that, did the team take a bus to Gainesville? I passed a MSU bus headed towards Gainesville on Thursday. I was passing through Gainesville headed West and the State bus was headed Eastbound towards Gainesville.

I’m a little concerned about two things that could keep us from winning a Natty. A drop dead closer and a Sunday starter. Other than that, we look very good. Much better than last year. I’m excited about this team.

AlSwearengen
03-17-2019, 08:39 AM
good post. I'll add that I wouldn't mind going into florida and picking off a couple of their upper echelon recruits that have been signing with florida recently.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-17-2019, 08:43 AM
It would be interesting to see Ginn as a closer/position player.

Steakonastick
03-17-2019, 08:53 AM
Great write up Todd. I enjoyed reading that over coffee this morning, recovering from my trip to Orlando. Speaking of that, did the team take a bus to Gainesville? I passed a MSU bus headed towards Gainesville on Thursday. I was passing through Gainesville headed West and the State bus was headed Eastbound towards Gainesville.

I’m a little concerned about two things that could keep us from winning a Natty. A drop dead closer and a Sunday starter. Other than that, we look very good. Much better than last year. I’m excited about this team.

The team flew. But usually we send a bus to transport the team around town.

DownwardDawg
03-17-2019, 09:05 AM
The team flew. But usually we send a bus to transport the team around town.

Thanks. That’s good to know. I was hoping we flew them. That bus ride would suck!

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2019, 09:05 AM
our middle infield defense should get better as the season goes on... Rowdy’s batting can’t go anywhere but up, but he has some bad mechanics at the plate that can be worked out in the cage.... the #3 starter concerns me more than anything...I see both James and Gordon as middle relief guys...

Rowdy's mechanical issue can't be fixed. They must build something in his load that assist him in creating rhythm and timing. Just throwing that out there. Not everything can be fixed.

Lord McBuckethead
03-17-2019, 09:07 AM
Why does Rowdy close in his elbows as he waits for the pitch. Seems like a golfer getting his hands and arms in a bind at the tee box. Dude.....just watch how Mangum sets up and try that.

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2019, 09:10 AM
We're going to eventually need to move Cerantola or Plumlee to the Sunday starter and leverage Keegan James' velocity out of the bullpen.

Not sure how long it takes us to get there but it's where we're headed.

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2019, 09:12 AM
Why does Rowdy close in his elbows as he waits for the pitch. Seems like a golfer getting his hands and arms in a bind at the tee box. Dude.....just watch how Mangum sets up and try that.

It's what's comfortable to him. It's how his body works.

Why do you walk duck footed and like you have something stuck up your rear while I walk like a pimp? It's just how God made us.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Rowdy's mechanical issue can't be fixed. They must build something in his load that assist him in creating rhythm and timing. Just throwing that out there. Not everything can be fixed.

His bat is in the “hitting zone” very, very little during his swing...he could work on his load and flatten out his swing in the cage... I don’t know what he did last summer and fall, but what ever it was he messed his swing up.

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2019, 10:20 AM
His bat is in the “hitting zone” very, very little during his swing...he could work on his load and flatten out his swing in the cage... I don’t know what he did last summer and fall, but what ever it was he messed his swing up.

He's always had a hitch in his load, which really can't be fixed.

Cooterpoot
03-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Let me shorten all that for you: It was about what I expected and we’re only going to get better as the season moves on.

Uncle Ruckus
03-17-2019, 10:25 AM
He started wearing contacts

Cooterpoot
03-17-2019, 10:26 AM

You need to step away from trying to give hitting advice.

AlSwearengen
03-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Does anyone know what Spencer Price’s velocity was yesterday? If he and Self can get right and get the middle infield straightened out, my interest level is really going to peak.

basedog
03-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Great start for the season and Sec opening series. 18-2 is about as good as it can get, no worries or complaints for me.

We should get better going forward and that would make us scary good!

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2019, 10:55 AM
You need to step away from trying to give hitting advice.

You're right. I'm probably not qualified

I seen it dawg
03-17-2019, 11:00 AM
Shoved it up Florida's ****ing ass. Thank you.

I seen it dawg
03-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Small and Ginn make us a National seed. Period. No one has that as good as we do.

Skelton has turned it on and has become a player. Light bulb went off for him early this year and he coming into his own as a leader and now the talent is showing. By end of the season he will be one of our top 3 most important position guys. Our catcher position is maybe as good as it's ever been.

Jake and Mac are the true leaders that championship teams have to have. Jake has taken his game to the next level and harnessed his swing at everything at the plate mentality. He is now the guy no one wants to see at the plate when it's nut time. Bad thing for our opponents we have more than one. Mac is also a nut hitter at this point. They just believe they will get it done.

Our IF is really good offensively. Halter is starting to settle in as an SEC player. He is perfect down in the 9 hole. Tanner, Westburg and Foscue on any team without Jake and Mac would be the superstars.

Rowdey is an issue obviously. I still think he will get it figured out by May but if not it's a problem. Cumbest just isn't ready along with no one else and we would have to move some pieces to go to Tanner. Honestly at this point until someone steps up (Cumbest best option) we need to just ride Rowdey and hope he comes around. His defense and baserunning doesn't slump luckily and if he can somehow get his average up in the 220s or so it will be ok.

With our studs going deep on fri and sat it really helps us piece Sunday together. Liebelt and Barlow are really good guys from Right and left. White and Gordon will be fine. The rest is gravy. Keegan can get us 2 times thru the order and most Sundays that will be plenty. And don't let Cerantola figure it out by May....

We are really ****ing good. Like really. Like late June really ****ing good. Keep it rolling.

MarketingBully
03-17-2019, 11:46 AM
I think we could have 5 in the lineup with 10+ HR: Westburg, Allen, Mac, Foscue, and Skelton. This lineup can hit for power and average and once everyone is clicking (we had 10 and 17 hits in the first two games of the Florida series) our hitting could match our pitching.

CadaverDawg
03-17-2019, 12:05 PM
The last several years I could come away from every series with some criticisms of the coaches....but this weekend I dont really have any. Lemonis seems to be pushing most of the right buttons. Leaving in Gordon too long didn't cost us the game, and leaving Ginn in too long didn't either. The one thing I questioned was bringing in Cumbest vs the flat fastball throwing lefty in game 3....It was a crucial point in the game if we were to come back, so i'd have liked to see a veteran or guy with more ab's hitting in that spot, but I understand why they went with Cumbest....they figured his big ass could turn around a 95 mph heater and give us a quick lead. Cumbest just isn't quite there yet.
I'm super encouraged with Hatcher, he looked great this weekend.
We need Westburg and Halter to tighten up the fielding, and we need to figure out Sunday's starter bc James may not be it. But we are talking about things that can be fixed and we have the talent and coaching to fix them. Most teams would kill for our list of "need to fix" right now. I'm impressed with Lemonis and Foxhall, and if you had told me we'd have 27 hits through 2 games at Florida I'd have said you're insane after how our O had been looking. These coaches and players deserve a lot of credit, and support...and the scary thing is, I don't think we have nearly played our best yet. This could be a really fun year, but the schedule is an absolute beast, so dont get discouraged if we drop a few here and there. We have the tools to make another deep run.

I seen it dawg
03-17-2019, 12:30 PM
To Cadavers point Haven't played our best and not totally clicking yet....which we want in May June not March April.

BuckyIsAB****
03-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Rowdey will come around. He showed real toughness and competitiveness last year, I dont know much about his load and swing mechanics but I can tell you that toughness and willing to fight doesnt go away

biggun
03-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Pitching is and always has been the key. Our bats are becoming a huge positive. Made them pay for mistakes. The only glaring negative I?ve seen so far...and I haven?t watched a ton...is we are WEAK up the middle on the infield compared to years past. We win even more lopsided in game 1 if we do a couple routine things there.

Amen. We looked very shaky at SS and 2nd base in all 3 games

maroonmania
03-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Rowdey will come around. He showed real toughness and competitiveness last year, I dont know much about his load and swing mechanics but I can tell you that toughness and willing to fight doesnt go away

Something changed in Rowdy's swing from last year. I haven't gone back and looked at what he was doing last year but he could not have hit .220 with his current swing last year, much less .320. He looks to me like he is late getting the bat into the zone and the bat is not coming through in a straight plane but rather flopping down during the swing. That looks like why he is hitting SO many pop ups in the times when he actually makes contact. He has got to sit and go work with Gautreau to see what he can get corrected and try it out in some midweek games. Until then he really should not be starting SEC games because he's a decent defensive player but nothing like would be needed to make up for his current total futility in the batter's box.

BuckyIsAB****
03-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Something changed in Rowdy's swing from last year. I haven't gone back and looked at what he was doing last year but he could not have hit .220 with his current swing last year, much less .320. He looks to me like he is late getting the bat into the zone and the bat is not coming through in a straight plane but rather flopping down during the swing. That looks like why he is hitting SO many pop ups in the times when he actually makes contact. He has got to sit and go work with Gautreau to see what he can get corrected and try it out in some midweek games. Until then he really should not be starting SEC games because he's a decent defensive player but nothing like would be needed to make up for his current total futility in the batter's box.

He will be ok. Like I said, he's a tough kid. Hell it could be as simple as he needs new contacts or something you never know

shoeless joe
03-18-2019, 10:46 AM
Do y’all not think rowdy and gotro have been workin their asses off to get him on track?

And if you think a timing or hitch issue can’t be fixed then you don’t know what you’re talking about...at the same time if you think those issues can be corrected quickly then you fall into that same category. If I had to guess he’s prolly worked on a fix in practice but hasn’t yet been able to translate that fix to the games. That’s how the process goes...if he wasn’t improving in practice then he wouldn’t be playing.

ShotgunDawg
03-18-2019, 10:52 AM
And if you think a timing or hitch issue can’t be fixed then you don’t know what you’re talking about...

This is complete stupidity & an attempt to generalize every issue into one.

Can Rowdy's hitch be fixed? maybe. Can it be fixed without screwing up a bunch of other stuff & creating significant thinking & mental issues at the plate? Probably not.

Furthermore, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how to fix it? &, while your at it, please provide an example of a player that you have seen fix it & be better for it.

shoeless joe
03-18-2019, 11:13 AM
This is complete stupidity & an attempt to generalize every issue into one.

Can Rowdy's hitch be fixed? maybe. Can it be fixed without screwing up a bunch of other stuff & creating significant thinking & mental issues at the plate? Probably not.

Furthermore, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how to fix it? &, while your at it, please provide an example of a player that you have seen fix it & be better for it.

I haven’t watched enough games to say what his exact problem is. I’ve seen one game in person and one on tv. That said, if you read my post I said it wasn’t an easy fix and would take time...but a hitch in a swing most certainly can be fixed. Unlike some I prefer not to talk out of my ass about which I do not know. And I stand 100% behind what I posted.

One thing you actually are correct about is that it is mentally tough to work thru this stuff...multiplied 10 fold for it being in season.

ShotgunDawg
03-18-2019, 11:15 AM
I haven’t watched enough games to say what his exact problem is. I’ve seen one game in person and one on tv. That said, if you read my post I said it wasn’t an easy fix and would take time...but a hitch in a swing most certainly can be fixed. Unlike some I prefer not to talk out of my ass about which I do not know. And I stand 100% behind what I posted.

One thing you actually are correct about is that it is mentally tough to work thru this stuff...multiplied 10 fold for it being in season.

Ok. If you get a chance to watch some Rowdy at-bats, let me know how you would fix it.

Also, please provide an example of someone who has successfully fixed it. I'm dying to know because I would like to know how to fix it.

PMDawg
03-18-2019, 11:42 AM
You need to step away from trying to give BASEBALL advice.

FIFY

smootness
03-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Jake and Mac are the true leaders that championship teams have to have. Jake has taken his game to the next level and harnessed his swing at everything at the plate mentality. He is now the guy no one wants to see at the plate when it's nut time. Bad thing for our opponents we have more than one. Mac is also a nut hitter at this point. They just believe they will get it done.

Totally nailed it.

We saw it last year with MacNamee, but those are the guys you have to have to make a deep run in the postseason. We are set up very, very well.

shoeless joe
03-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Ok. If you get a chance to watch some Rowdy at-bats, let me know how you would fix it.

Also, please provide an example of someone who has successfully fixed it. I'm dying to know because I would like to know how to fix it.

1) I have nothing to prove to anyone when it comes to this game

2) based on #1 I refuse to get into a pissing match or try to bigdick anyone...even tho nothing brings out the bigdickers quicker than a baseball strategy or mechanics argument.

All that said, I do enjoy a good baseball conversation...so in light of that I’d like to ask a couple questions. Since rowdy obviously performed well last year do you think he didn’t have this same issue last year? Did this develop since last year? Has he developed another issue that has exaggerated the first? In other words...why is this an issue now but wasn’t one, or as big of one, last year?

SheltonChoked
03-18-2019, 01:53 PM

No Dog in this but to say " nobody ever changed their swing in baseball for better" is foolish....

https://www.mlb.com/news/ronald-acuna-dominates-after-swing-change-c295464814
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2018/02/20/how-martinez-transformed-terrible-swing-into-elite-one/MyfGmz20dkCKF4CDDgUTeO/story.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/sports/baseball/chris-taylor-dodgers.html
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/mlb/seattle-mariners/article209258964.html
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-kris-bryant-swing-cubs-spt-0523-20160522-story.html
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/justin-turner-breaks-down-his-swing-change/vp-AAxl5rs
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25872252/brewers-ryan-braun-using-analytics-change-swing
https://www.johnmallee.com/change-in-swing-has-astros-altuve-chasing-career-year-2/

Gutter Cobreh
03-18-2019, 02:13 PM
The last several years I could come away from every series with some criticisms of the coaches....but this weekend I dont really have any. Lemonis seems to be pushing most of the right buttons. Leaving in Gordon too long didn't cost us the game, and leaving Ginn in too long didn't either. The one thing I questioned was bringing in Cumbest vs the flat fastball throwing lefty in game 3....It was a crucial point in the game if we were to come back, so i'd have liked to see a veteran or guy with more ab's hitting in that spot, but I understand why they went with Cumbest....they figured his big ass could turn around a 95 mph heater and give us a quick lead. Cumbest just isn't quite there yet.
I'm super encouraged with Hatcher, he looked great this weekend.
We need Westburg and Halter to tighten up the fielding, and we need to figure out Sunday's starter bc James may not be it. But we are talking about things that can be fixed and we have the talent and coaching to fix them. Most teams would kill for our list of "need to fix" right now. I'm impressed with Lemonis and Foxhall, and if you had told me we'd have 27 hits through 2 games at Florida I'd have said you're insane after how our O had been looking. These coaches and players deserve a lot of credit, and support...and the scary thing is, I don't think we have nearly played our best yet. This could be a really fun year, but the schedule is an absolute beast, so dont get discouraged if we drop a few here and there. We have the tools to make another deep run.

The only issues I have with Lemonis is that he seems to be too eager to schedule Saturday doubleheaders and he is leaving pitchers in too long.

I looked yesterday and I didn't see that it had rained it Gainesville. It may have done so early that morning, but I doubt enough to cancel the game. I realize they are making the best decision they can at the time, but I think we would have fared better if we didn't play a double header.

If Gordon would have blown a 4 run lead in the 9th, I would have come unglued. I trust Lemonis and Foxhall, but they're playing with fire. With a lead like that, you simply need someone to throw strikes. Walks = runs.

Regarding Game 3, I don't see the issue with James that others do. We simply didn't hit enough to win the game. It wasn't James' fault that didn't happen. If the first two games are any indication, we needed to score at least 6 runs to win. Had we done that, we sweep.

Scared_Hitless
03-18-2019, 04:08 PM
I think with Gordon, Lemonis trusted him and did not want him to lose his confidence. That is the first time he has been in a situation to blow a save in a long time. Let the kid feel the pressure and push through. Which Cole did so that is a positive. Westburg and Halter are shaky but they just need more practice and reps. I think losing Stovall was a big one, guy had some range last few years. Westburg has a chance to be elite batting so you live with a few mistakes.

Other than that we will see how Keegan and Rowdey progress, I do not think we have better options at this point and we are still winning so let them work through and hopefully the light comes on.

Todd4State
03-18-2019, 05:30 PM
The only issues I have with Lemonis is that he seems to be too eager to schedule Saturday doubleheaders and he is leaving pitchers in too long.

I looked yesterday and I didn't see that it had rained it Gainesville. It may have done so early that morning, but I doubt enough to cancel the game. I realize they are making the best decision they can at the time, but I think we would have fared better if we didn't play a double header.

If Gordon would have blown a 4 run lead in the 9th, I would have come unglued. I trust Lemonis and Foxhall, but they're playing with fire. With a lead like that, you simply need someone to throw strikes. Walks = runs.

Regarding Game 3, I don't see the issue with James that others do. We simply didn't hit enough to win the game. It wasn't James' fault that didn't happen. If the first two games are any indication, we needed to score at least 6 runs to win. Had we done that, we sweep.

What? All he can do is go off of the meteorology department and what they say. The last two DH's we played in Starkville the weather would have been legitimately bad and we would have had delays and rainouts had we tried to play. In Florida I suspect that O'Sullivan had more of a say in that than us since that was their homefield. And it wouldn't surprise me if he did that to try to at least avoid being swept. If we refuse to go along with it we look like major assholes and probably cause some problems with the SEC especially if the weather does actually affect the series.

Gutter Cobreh
03-18-2019, 08:11 PM
What? All he can do is go off of the meteorology department and what they say. The last two DH's we played in Starkville the weather would have been legitimately bad and we would have had delays and rainouts had we tried to play. In Florida I suspect that O'Sullivan had more of a say in that than us since that was their homefield. And it wouldn't surprise me if he did that to try to at least avoid being swept. If we refuse to go along with it we look like major assholes and probably cause some problems with the SEC especially if the weather does actually affect the series.

I guess I should have used these (***) as I was being a bit facetious. My point was that it didn't come down like they anticipated, yet no one here even brings that fact up. Also, I'm pretty sure we have a say in making it a double header. I don't care if we look like assholes; screw UF and the SEC.

The Federalist Engineer
03-18-2019, 10:41 PM
From Gainesville- we gained Hatcher as a contributor and we now know that Leibelt and Barlow are SEC, high-level ready

Todd4State
03-18-2019, 10:54 PM
I guess I should have used these (***) as I was being a bit facetious. My point was that it didn't come down like they anticipated, yet no one here even brings that fact up. Also, I'm pretty sure we have a say in making it a double header. I don't care if we look like assholes; screw UF and the SEC.

I was wondering. Some of our fans have said some crazy stuff lately like they want to see if we beat Auburn and LSU to know if we are "for real". Unfortunately MSU's higher ups are aligned with Florida- Stricklin is a big reason why Cohen is our AD right now.

From Gainesville- we gained Hatcher as a contributor and we now know that Leibelt and Barlow are SEC, high-level ready

It has been great to see those three contribute. We just have to get Colby and Gordon back on track 100%. I'm also looking forward to see which ones of our younger players improve and contribute.

smootness
03-19-2019, 07:28 AM

You were being facetious yet totally meant what you said.

Gutter Cobreh
03-19-2019, 11:04 AM
You were being facetious yet totally meant what you said.

In the Florida scenario - yes, I meant what I said.

I knew we had moved a couple games earlier in the year to avoid weather (for both cold and rain), but I couldn't remember how many times we'd done it nor could I remember if the following day resulted in the forecasts being correct. In that sense, I was being a bit facetious because I didn't have all the facts.

If there are two things I've learned around here, they would be: 1) facts don't always matter when emotions are running high and 2) if you're facts are wrong, somebody will gladly hop on and correct you...

I don't think it rained like they expected, so I'm a little peeved we agreed to a double header. Call me crazy, but I think going into a Game 3 the next day would have given us an advantage. When they decided to play the doubleheader, we didn't know at the time we'd win Game 2 - but with Ginn on the mound - that dude is as solid as they come and has quickly become one of my favorites to watch play. I laid quite a bit of vcash on him, so I was pretty confident we would take it. I also despise UF, so that plays a part of my frustration.

basedog
03-19-2019, 11:23 AM

I knew we had moved a couple games earlier in the year to avoid weather (for both cold and rain), but I couldn't remember how many times we'd done it nor could I remember if the following day resulted in the forecasts being correct. In that sense, I was being a bit facetious because I didn't have all the facts.

If there are two things I've learned around here, they would be: 1) facts don't always matter when emotions are running high and 2) if you're facts are wrong, somebody will gladly hop on and correct you...

I don't think it rained like they expected, so I'm a little peeved we agreed to a double header. Call me crazy, but I think going into a Game 3 the next day would have given us an advantage. When they decided to play the doubleheader, we didn't know at the time we'd win Game 2 - but with Ginn on the mound - that dude is as solid as they come and has quickly become one of my favorites to watch play. I laid quite a bit of vcash on him, so I was pretty confident we would take it. I also despise UF, so that plays a part of my frustration.

I'm not sure but I think the home team usually will determine a double header as will the Umpires. Never heard of a visiting team vetoing that decision. Btw, we had our chances but couldn't get the key hits. Florida may not be what they were the last few years but they have talent. Just saying.

smootness
03-19-2019, 11:24 AM

I honestly don't think the additional rest would have helped us any more than it would them. If anything, we were still riding some momentum from the win in Game 2. I don't think the DH helps or hurts either team. If anything, it helps the team with the deeper pitching staff, which will be us against most teams we face.