PDA

View Full Version : Turkey talk

Treemydawg
03-16-2019, 08:39 PM
Got the first bird of the year this morning at 7:45. Gobbled good and put on a show strutting with some hens. Finally pulled the trigger on him at 10 yds. 10 3/4? beard and 7/8 spurs. Good way to kick off the season.

BuckyIsAB****
03-17-2019, 01:50 PM
Got the first bird of the year this morning at 7:45. Gobbled good and put on a show strutting with some hens. Finally pulled the trigger on him at 10 yds. 10 3/4? beard and 7/8 spurs. Good way to kick off the season.

Congrats man. Me and my brother got one yesterday morning as well. 2 year old 9 inch beard just under and inch spurs. 10 yards is really close haha

Treemydawg
03-17-2019, 06:17 PM
Yeah 10 yds is really close. I’ve never let a bird get that close before and I wouldnt have let him get that close but he done something I’ve never seen before. There was a creek inbetween us with a hog wire fence running down it. He strutted all over a field on the other side of the creek and bred I don’t know how many hens. When he was done with them and started feeding around he saw my decoys and came to the edge of the creek behind a bunch of thick stuff and flew the creek but he didn’t fly the fence. He was 20 yards to my right when he landed but I couldn’t swing and shoot him for a tree beside me. He stayed there 2-3 minutes walking back and forth on the fence and then flew back across the creek into the other field. Then he started walking to my left where I was pointing with my gun and I clicked the safety off to shoot him on the other side of the creek but before he got to the end of my gun barrel he flew the creek back to my side and almost landed in my lap and I hammered him. I don’t know how many birds I’ve killed in my life but this is one I’ll always remember

Howboutdemdogs
03-18-2019, 07:14 AM
Way to go! Great start! I spent Friday through Sunday each morning freezing butt off. Out of 10,000 plus acres we hunt, no one heard a gobble. It is like this in the hills where we hunt every year. It is usually a couple of weeks before they start to “talk”. I saw plenty of hens coming off the roost, but no beards with them. I did find out just how far and out of shape I have gottten. I was so damn winded, and this morning my legs are so sore.

Duckdog
03-18-2019, 10:02 AM
I dealt with coonasses behind every tree in the National Forest. It was awesome

Treemydawg
03-18-2019, 08:52 PM
I dealt with coonasses behind every tree in the National Forest. It was awesome

I know exactly how you feel. Born and raised for 35 yrs 12 miles south of Starkville and I’ve turkey hunted the national forest and Choctaw most all of my life. The birds there are among the most educated on this earth. It’s tough hunting but if you can kill a bird there you can kill them anywhere. Where I live now it’s almost like taking candy from a baby killing a turkey. They ain’t educated at all.

shoeless joe
03-20-2019, 05:21 PM
This stretch of sunny days should have em bout rite for this weekend. I got one opening morning but it was more of a rite place rite time type situation

BuckyIsAB****
03-26-2019, 10:57 PM
Way to go! Great start! I spent Friday through Sunday each morning freezing butt off. Out of 10,000 plus acres we hunt, no one heard a gobble. It is like this in the hills where we hunt every year. It is usually a couple of weeks before they start to “talk”. I saw plenty of hens coming off the roost, but no beards with them. I did find out just how far and out of shape I have gottten. I was so damn winded, and this morning my legs are so sore.

10,000 acres??? Good Lord wanna share? I wont bring a gun haha