PDA

View Full Version : Official "this game doesn't matter" game 3 vs Florida thread......

Saltydog
03-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Let's break out the brooms....

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Oh we will win no question. But winning the series is what matters. I'll make a wager with you that at least 12 people bat for us in this game and that more than 3 people pitch in this game no matter the circumstance.

Any takers?

Roy Munson
03-16-2019, 05:29 PM
4 pitched game 1, asshat

Turfdawg67
03-16-2019, 05:33 PM
Aka... "I'll whine and complain about the coaches and players for three hours even if we beat the number 5 team in the country by 4-5 runs because that's who we are" thread.

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 05:35 PM
Aka... "I'll whine and complain about the coaches and players for three hours even if we beat the number 5 team in the country by 4-5 runs because that's who we are" thread.

Won't be me complaining about coaching. I'm happy with the coaching. They did the right thing in every game today including leaving Ginn in.

CadaverDawg
03-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Hatcher is looking pretty good, guys. His confidence is high

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 05:36 PM
4 pitched game 1, asshat

Ginn plus Leibelt equals two bro. Good counting.

CadaverDawg
03-16-2019, 05:38 PM

Game 1 was yesterday. Not your day, bro

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Game 1 was yesterday. Not your day, bro

Game 1 of the series or the double header? Could have meant either. Didn't clarify. Grasping for straws now.

magrooder
03-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Announcer just said talking to Tommy Mace, Friday nights starter and winner. Didn't realize we lost last night.**

Roy Munson
03-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Which one had 4, douchebag?

Homedawg
03-16-2019, 05:44 PM

Game one was yesterday asshat

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Game one was yesterday asshat

Good talk. Enjoy the game. Go Dawgs.

Homedawg
Game 1 of the series or the double header? Could have meant either. Didn't clarify. Grasping for straws now.

Most people, clearly not you, say game one is the game that is the first one in the series. Course at this point you've lost all credibility, as if you had any anyway.

MetEdDawg
Which one had 4, douchebag?

Good talk. Enjoy the game. Go Dawgs.

ShotgunDawg
03-16-2019, 05:59 PM
Oh we will win no question. But winning the series is what matters. I'll make a wager with you that at least 12 people bat for us in this game and that more than 3 people pitch in this game no matter the circumstance.

Any takers?

When the SEC title comes down to one game in the standings, we'll see how much you think it matters.

As for hosting, you're probably right.

magrooder
03-16-2019, 06:00 PM
how was that not a strike?

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 06:10 PM
When the SEC title comes down to one game in the standings, we'll see how much you think it matters.

As for hosting, you're probably right.

I don't care about the SEC. I care about the national title. And that's the only thing we should be thinking about. I'm not gonna lose a minute of sleep if Vandy gets the 1 and we get the 2. We will both be national seeds.

CadaverDawg
03-16-2019, 06:13 PM
I don't care about the SEC. I care about the national title. And that's the only thing we should be thinking about. I'm not gonna lose a minute of sleep if Vandy gets the 1 and we get the 2. We will both be national seeds.

Dude wake up! Your path to a Natty is easier the higher you're seeded. How do you not understand this? Unbelievable

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Dude wake up! Your path to a Natty is easier the higher you're seeded. How do you not understand this? Unbelievable

That really mattered last year didn't it? In the end you win or you lose and it really doesn't matter. You get to Omaha and everyone is good. There's no easy path. I would have thought our run last year proved that.

CadaverDawg
03-16-2019, 06:19 PM
That really mattered last year didn't it? In the end you win or you lose and it really doesn't matter. You get to Omaha and everyone is good. There's no easy path. I would have thought our run last year proved that.

In other words, "you're right but I'm not admitting I'm wrong". Got it. Smh

MarketingBully
03-16-2019, 06:22 PM
You play to win every game because you don’t know how baseball will go. If you have a chance to sweep you take it. Screwing with our lineup in a double header isn’t the best recipe for success. Go with what worked. There was no real reason to shake things up imo.

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 06:30 PM
In other words, "you're right but I'm not admitting I'm wrong". Got it. Smh

How did I admit that? The fact it doesn't matter only further bolsters the point that getting the national seed and winning the national championship is what matters.

A road loss to a team that finishes in the Top 20 wont be a negative.

I'm still stunned by this reaction. Winning is great. I like to win and this staff likes to win. And if you asked Lemonis which would he rather do the answer is win and that would be the correct answer.

But he's balancing winning and getting experience and that's very evident. If we lose he will be upset. But he's also going to be ok getting a lot of guys experience.

I'll retract meaningless. That's fine. I'll rephrase and say that Lemonis is using game 3 to balance winning and getting his team the experience that we need to compete for a national title. I want to win and the team wants to win. But we didn't put out our best 9, so it's obvious that Lemonis values the growth and development that could come for other players on the roster that don't always get to play.

How's that? Meaningless was the wrong word. Less important than games 1 and 2 since we won both of them would be the more correct statement.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-16-2019, 07:31 PM
The fact it doesn't matter only further bolsters the point that getting the national seed and winning the national championship is what matters.

A road loss to a team that finishes in the Top 20 wont be a negative.

You know every game is factored into whether or not you get a National seed, right? If team A) won all 10 SEC series with a 20-10 record and a series win over team B), and team B) won 9 SEC series with a 28-2 record, who do you think gets the better seed? Even head to head series win wouldn't overcome team B)'s better overall record.

Obviously every game matters.

Homedawg
03-16-2019, 07:57 PM
Well thank God that game didn't matter. I feel better now... glad to get two. But coach meted told me it's ok. Didn't matter. Got to see cumbest punch out twice and rowdy got to pinch run. So there's that

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Well thank God that game didn't matter. I feel better now... glad to get two. But coach meted told me it's ok. Didn't matter. Got to see cumbest punch out twice and rowdy got to pinch run. So there's that

Damn dude. That fleshy patch between your legs must really be hurting. Coach did exactly what I said he would do. I've already said meaningless was too strong a word. But we played 19 guys today. Tell me he didn't highly value reps and experience today regardless of situation. That's what I said would happen and it did.

Most number of guys used in a game all season except Grambling and we did it against Florida. How can you not see the mentality Lemonis has for this game? Dude PH for the last 3 batters. I guess I thought that would have been obvious

Dawgcap
03-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Damn dude. That fleshy patch between your legs must really be hurting. Coach did exactly what I said he would do. I've already said meaningless was too strong a word. But we played 19 guys today. Tell me he didn't highly value reps and experience today regardless of situation. That's what I said would happen and it did.

Most number of guys used in a game all season except Grambling and we did it against Florida. How can you not see the mentality Lemonis has for this game? Dude PH for the last 3 batters. I guess I thought that would have been obvious
Because we lost dumbass! How does that improve us?

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 08:34 PM
Because we lost dumbass! How does that improve us?

You serious? You've never coached have you. Bunch of guys got late game situarional PH opportunities that they can learn from. Rowdey got to sit and come in and pinch run. Something he may have to do at some point.

We got a lot of guys chances to do things they may have to do down the line when the season is one the line. And the hope is that you can use prior experiences to help you in those situations. We hit 14 guys tonight. Pinch hit a bunch in the 9th with guys that might have to come in and do that. That's huge for the development of this program.

Everyone acting like this loss is a huge black eye. We are 18-2 and a Top 4 program. I'm pleased with how Lemonis handled today. It's exactly what a coach with a talented young team that's playing ahead of the game would have done.

Dawgcap
03-16-2019, 08:39 PM
You serious? You've never coached have you. Bunch of guys got late game situarional PH opportunities that they can learn from. Rowdey got to sit and come in and pinch run. Something he may have to do at some point.

We got a lot of guys chances to do things they may have to do down the line when the season is one the line. And the hope is that you can use prior experiences to help you in those situations. We hit 14 guys tonight. Pinch hit a bunch in the 9th with guys that might have to come in and do that. That's huge for the development of this program.

Everyone acting like this loss is a huge black eye. We are 18-2 and a Top 4 program. I'm pleased with how Lemonis handled today. It's exactly what a coach with a talented young team that's playing ahead of the game would have done.

No but I stayed at a Holiday Inn twice this week. I get the pinch hitters in the 9th but please tell me how this benefits us later. Not a huge loss at all but for someone to think playing for experience is at a loss for me

Homedawg
03-16-2019, 08:42 PM

I didn't even read your post...... you've said enough stupid shit for one day bro. But feel free to continue. You're good at it.

Oh I did see your last line, wonder why he hit Hayden jones for halter there??? Hmmmm maybe just maybe cause we were down 2 w the tying run on base and he has a waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy better chance to tie the game. You are too busy being stupid to understand

Dawgcap
03-16-2019, 08:45 PM

So obviously you’ve coached before by the same question. But let me say this isn’t the same as giving a JBC guy work in a high school division game. If I’m wrong and you coached in college I understand why you are on a message board on the weekend

Dawgcap
03-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Jv not jbc

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 08:49 PM
No but I stayed at a Holiday Inn twice this week. I get the pinch hitters in the 9th but please tell me how this benefits us later. Not a huge loss at all but for someone to think playing for experience is at a loss for me

You use the experience to learn. You build early in the year so that you can hopefully have success later in the year in similar situations.

Yes we lost today. But let's say Cumbest has to PH in the 9th in a super regional. He either gets a hit to win or he gets out and we lose. He got a pinch hit AB tonight against Florida in Gainesville with 2 on and no out. Yes he struck out, but he's been there. He's been on the big stage against a ranked team in a big situation. He can use that to help him.

Hayden Jones got a PH AB in the 9th with 2 outs down 2. He's gonna be able to use that experience to add to what he can already do because he may have to do that later.

We got a lot of guys chances tonight. Let 14 guys hit tonight in Gainesville against a Top 10 team. It would be a shame if those guys never got to PH in an atmosphere like that before they are potentially asked to do it again on a bigger stage.

We aren't gonna be playing Grambling or Little Rock in the games we want to be playing in in June. We are gonna be playing teams like Florida. Our kids need that experience and they got it tonight without harming our goal of being a national seed.

Roy Munson
03-16-2019, 08:56 PM
Those two guys got pinch hit to park one and tie the game. I guess FL made all their moves to get guys experience too or maybe just maybe they were moves to win the game.

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 08:58 PM
So obviously you’ve coached before by the same question. But let me say this isn’t the same as giving a JBC guy work in a high school division game. If I’m wrong and you coached in college I understand why you are on a message board on the weekend

I've coached 5A freshmen, JV, and varsity, and 7A freshmen and JV. And when we win games 1 and 2 of an area series we let everyone play game 3. Why? Because those kids may have to PH later or we may need that kid later and they get experience against the best competition we play. Let some JV kids play to help them get accustomed to playing against a rival or a pitcher they will see next year. That's how you build a program as long as you have the right situation. Tonight we had that.

Obviously it's not quite the same in college, but some of the same principles hold true. You try to win with what you put out there in that game 3, but you aren't keeping your best 9 in the game the whole time. None of us before this game started would have wanted Price in that game trying to hold Florida to a 2 run lead in the 8th. Probably puckered up a little on a Self too because he hasn't had a lot of success. Yet there they were. Lots of late game PH. Cumbest PH with 2 on and no out down 2. Definitely not what anyone on this board would have done.

It's a different mentality once you win a series. You balance winning and experience gaining. You still want to win, but in the end you are willing to sacrifice something like that because you won't be judged on that game. But your players, especially the young ones, get to experience something like that and they can use it later.

Make no mistake. Had we lost the first game of the DH, Plumlee would have been available after Keegan, we probably wouldn't have seen Price or Self and we would have seen White and Cole. No Cumbest PH. Skelton in the DH not Hancock.

Dawgcap
03-16-2019, 08:59 PM
You use the experience to learn. You build early in the year so that you can hopefully have success later in the year in similar situations.

Yes we lost today. But let's say Cumbest has to PH in the 9th in a super regional. He either gets a hit to win or he gets out and we lose. He got a pinch hit AB tonight against Florida in Gainesville with 2 on and no out. Yes he struck out, but he's been there. He's been on the big stage against a ranked team in a big situation. He can use that to help him.

Hayden Jones got a PH AB in the 9th with 2 outs down 2. He's gonna be able to use that experience to add to what he can already do because he may have to do that later.

We got a lot of guys chances tonight. Let 14 guys hit tonight in Gainesville against a Top 10 team. It would be a shame if those guys never got to PH in an atmosphere like that before they are potentially asked to do it again on a bigger stage.

We aren't gonna be playing Grambling or Little Rock in the games we want to be playing in in June. We are gonna be playing teams like Florida. Our kids need that experience and they got it tonight without harming our goal of being a national seed.
No but they practice everyday against a top 10 team. If they want to play they have to produce in practice everyday. But don’t pat yourself on the back because you came off wrong

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Those two guys got pinch hit to park one and tie the game. I guess FL made all their moves to get guys experience too or maybe just maybe they were moves to win the game.

Then where were they when Cumbest came up with 2 on and no out and Mangum coming up?

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 09:00 PM
No but they practice everyday against a top 10 team. If they want to play they have to produce in practice everyday. But don’t pat yourself on the back because you came off wrong

I might have come off wrong but my premise behind this game was correct. We played 19 guys. Second only to the Grambling game. Losing sucks. I hate it. But Lemonis is no idiot. He had a purpose tonight.

Dawgcap
03-16-2019, 09:05 PM
I might have come off wrong but my premise behind this game was correct. We played 19 guys. Second only to the Grambling game. Losing sucks. I hate it. But Lemonis is no idiot. He had a purpose tonight.

No the problem was you said you didn’t care about the game 3 win. But again this isn’t 9 th grade or jv playing varsity in high school. The goal is to win the conference. If you don’t believe that I feel for you because the season can end so quickly and a sec championship is mighty damn important

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 09:10 PM
No the problem was you said you didn’t care about the game 3 win. But again this isn’t 9 th grade or jv playing varsity in high school. The goal is to win the conference. If you don’t believe that I feel for you because the season can end so quickly and a sec championship is mighty damn important

I don't believe that. Goal is to win a national championship. It would be nice to win the SEC but losing it doesn't end your season. Losing after that does.

CadaverDawg
03-16-2019, 09:17 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l3vRidFeUca8QZ9Be/giphy.gif

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 09:24 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l3vRidFeUca8QZ9Be/giphy.gif

Didn't he get fired?

Dawg2003
03-16-2019, 09:25 PM
Of course this game matters. They all matter. The opportunity to win a game, especially one that boosts your RPI, matters. You never know when you might get swept or loose a series down the line. The committee doesn't generally let teams in that have negative conference records.

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Of course this game matters. They all matter. The opportunity to win a game, especially one that boosts your RPI, matters. You never know when you might get swept or loose a series down the line. The committee doesn't generally let teams in that have negative conference records.

If we have a losing conference record Lemonis should be fired the night the season ends. We are at worst a Top 3 team in this conference. We are really good and are going to win most of our series and I can't imagine anyone has a harder conference schedule than we do. 9 of our 10 conference series opponents are ranked. Still think we finish with at least 18 conference wins. That's national seed.

Todd4State
03-16-2019, 09:57 PM
The fact that we had to play a doubleheader and the fact that Cole threw 28 pitches the night before kind of put us at a little bit of a disadvantage and changed how we managed our bullpen. And then Keegan didn't go very deep into the game. That's why we saw a lot of guys like Self and Price.

MetEdDawg
03-16-2019, 10:01 PM
The fact that we had to play a doubleheader and the fact that Cole threw 28 pitches the night before kind of put us at a little bit of a disadvantage and changed how we managed our bullpen. And then Keegan didn't go very deep into the game. That's why we saw a lot of guys like Self and Price.

If those two can give us something, our bullpen goes 7-8!deep. White, Barlow, Smith, Cole, Leibelt, then add Self and Price, then potentially Spring. That doesn't even include the fact we could have Plumlee, or Cerantola available. That's just insane depth.

Homedawg
03-16-2019, 10:10 PM
If we have a losing conference record Lemonis should be fired the night the season ends. We are at worst a Top 3 team in this conference. We are really good and are going to win most of our series and I can't imagine anyone has a harder conference schedule than we do. 9 of our 10 conference series opponents are ranked. Still think we finish with at least 18 conference wins. That's national seed.

A national seed if we win games. Yes. But we can't just take games off to play people because. And we didn't today. Every win matters. He gets it. We are good but this isn't some cake walk

Todd4State
03-16-2019, 10:16 PM
A national seed if we win games. Yes. But we can't just take games off to play people because. And we didn't today. Every win matters. He gets it. We are good but this isn't some cake walk

Yep. Case in point in a vacuum- our loss today means we will be at best tied or behind Auburn and LSU and we will be tied with either Ole Miss or Alabama in the West. Long way to go sure....but I think it gives some creedance to why every game matters.

MarketingBully
03-16-2019, 10:21 PM
Yep. Case in point in a vacuum- our loss today means we will be at best tied or behind Auburn and LSU and we will be tied with either Ole Miss or Alabama in the West. Long way to go sure....but I think it gives some creedance to why every game matters.

We play 3 of those 4 teams at the Dude. We’ll be alright.

Dildoes
03-16-2019, 10:34 PM
Y’all are thinking too small. Who cares if we win the SEC. we’ve done that before. We’re still on track for a ****in National seed. Even if we don’t get that, though, I like our makeup come tournament time. This might be the year

Todd4State
03-16-2019, 10:35 PM
We play 3 of those 4 teams at the Dude. We’ll be alright.

Of course we will. At the same time we have Arkansas and A&M on the road and an improved Tennessee team on the road. Nine of our ten SEC opponents are ranked. And the one that isn't is Alabama and they are improved. Welcome to the SEC! The good news is we are very good ourselves and if we keep winning two of three we have a good chance to win the whole thing.

Todd4State
03-16-2019, 10:38 PM
Y’all are thinking too small. Who cares if we win the SEC. we’ve done that before. We’re still on track for a ****in National seed. Even if we don’t get that, though, I like our makeup come tournament time. This might be the year

I think winning the SEC is a good thing. I'd love to have a season where we won the Governor's Cup, the SEC, the SEC Tournament, and the National Championship. And winning the SEC means that you can pretty much relax because you are a lock for a National Seed on selection day.

Gutter Cobreh
03-16-2019, 10:55 PM
We take 2 of 3 from UF in Gainesville (the #7 ranked team to boot) and some of you are acting like a bunch of babies!

Anyone on here would have taken that before the team left campus. While all wins "matter", y'all are giving MetEdDawg unnecessary grief. For all that is holy, enjoy the series win and save your bitching for something that actually warrants you getting upset about. The name calling is ridiculous.