PDA

View Full Version : How do we....

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Bo Bounds brought up a great point this morning, and it has long been a problem with the MSU family. WE LET OM FORM OUR PERCEPTION OF OURSELVES.

I know this has been going to on longer than I have been alive, and may take even longer to change, but where do we start in changing this behavior?

Is it a lack of confidence?

Is it a helpless feeling?

Is it a lack of support from the media?

What happened this weekend proved that we do have a little brother mentality, no matter how bad we try to justify it. Now the question is, how do we counter this, why does it exist, and, besides winning a National Championship, which we almost did in baseball, how do we begin the process of fixing it?

I'm not calling out any posters in this thread. It isn't one person's fault or one group of people. Hell if feel it sometimes as well. I just want us to focus on fixing it.

HIGHDOG
10-21-2013, 10:11 AM
i may be one of those, somewhat..i fear that the 18 year "drought" marked my thinking for life regarding those SOBs...tom

CJDAWG85
10-21-2013, 10:18 AM
TSUN will always have an influence on us, but we as a fan base need some self-confidence. You'd think that after 3 winning seasons, 3 bowl appearances, by far the best coach we've ever had, state of the art facilities, and a stadium expansion, that we'd start to have some. Watching the meltdown on this board Saturday night was ridiculous. You'd think that most MSU fans would notice that LSU didn't show up until they were down 17-0 and wasn't even close to the LSU team that played us. Not discrediting TSUN's victory because they deserved to win the game. Even TSUN fans are admitting that. LSU played like MSU when we played BG.

CadaverDawg
10-21-2013, 10:30 AM
People want to say this, but it is the exact same for Ole miss when we are having success. If we are little brother now, then they act like little brother when we are successful. Have you not seen how quick their trigger has been on firing coaches whenever we are winning?

Regardless of what you or Bo bounds lame ass wants to say.....it is the exact same when they are struggling and we are winning. The only reason ours is pointed out more, is because football is a bigger sport with more media attention, and football is a sport that Ole Miss has been better than us at traditionally.

If you don't think Bianco is immediately on the hot seat after what we did last year, you're crazy. Baseball just gets less attention. Their boards were in meltdown mode when we made our run in baseball, but for some reason Guys like you and Bo Bounds weren't talking about them.

cheewgumm
10-21-2013, 10:32 AM
It's logical, and goes both ways.

Let them lose to LSU by 30 and LSU score 60 on them, then us beat Bama and watch waht happens. Hell, why did they get rid of Cutt, Nutt, Orgeron, etc...?

If we sit back as they win, and take over the state in recruiting and have the attitude "Oh well, it shouldn't bother us.", then we are idiots and doomed to failure. We should be concerned and take it seriously. Or, we can jsut forget about football and move on to baseball, which nobody but us cares about.

You know why Alabama wins every year (besides cheating for recruits)? They care more. Their fans care... a lot.

It our fans are to the point of making the case that we shouldn't care as much, then that's a problem.

Bo Bounds brought up a great point this morning, and it has long been a problem with the MSU family. WE LET OM FORM OUR PERCEPTION OF OURSELVES.

I know this has been going to on longer than I have been alive, and may take even longer to change, but where do we start in changing this behavior?

What happened this weekend proved that we do have a little brother mentality, no matter how bad we try to justify it. Now the question is, how do we counter this, why does it exist, and, besides winning a National Championship, which we almost did in baseball, how do we begin the process of fixing it?

I'm not calling out any posters in this thread. It isn't one person's fault or one group of people. Hell if feel it sometimes as well. I just want us to focus on fixing it.

BulldogBear
10-21-2013, 10:33 AM

This is what I meant when I said in another post that my Dad told me as a young man that it seems the Ole Miss folks have had the State fanbase "psyched out" since the '50s and '60s.

Gotta remember that the media is Ole Miss friendly. They have the journalism school after all. You'd be surprised how many folks scattered throughout the national media, definately including sports media personalities that are household names, are somehow or other connected to the University of Mississippi. There people who most any sports fans knows of by mention, but do not know that they are connected to Ole Miss.

Seriouly Shotgun, I think the key is to realize that all the crap that comes out of that fanbase and it's media allies is propaganda to convince themselves that they are THE sh*t. You gotta just to learn to laugh at them for the comedy that it is and not let it affect us. If you look up the social definitoin of "douchebag," and think of a large portion of that fanbase that you know, you'll realize that it is spot on.

cheewgumm
10-21-2013, 10:34 AM
I wish we cared more, not less.

CadaverDawg
10-21-2013, 10:36 AM
It's logical, and goes both ways.

Let them lose to LSU by 30 and LSU score 60 on them, then us beat Bama and watch waht happens. Hell, why did they get rid of Cutt, Nutt, Orgeron, etc...?

If we sit back as they win, and take over the state in recruiting and have the attitude "Oh well, it shouldn't bother us.", then we are idiots and doomed to failure. We should be concerned and take it seriously. Or, we can jsut forget about football and move on to baseball, which nobody but us cares about.

You know why Alabama wins every year (besides cheating for recruits)? They care more. Their fans care... a lot.

It our fans are to the point of making the case that we shouldn't care as much, then that's a problem.

Exactly.

Maybe we don't see it as much from their side because we are never beating good teams to where it causes them to meltdown. Hell, you expect them to get upset at our accomplishments when we are struggling to beat Bowling green? It's a dumb argument to say that MSU acts like "little brother" because they do the same exact thing when the opportunity is there

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2013, 10:36 AM
People want to say this, but it is the exact same for Ole miss when we are having success. If we are little brother now, then they act like little brother when we are successful. Have you not seen how quick their trigger has been on firing coaches whenever we are winning?

Regardless of what you or Bo bounds lame ass wants to say.....it is the exact same when they are struggling and we are winning. The only reason ours is pointed out more, is because football is a bigger sport with more media attention, and football is a sport that Ole Miss has been better than us at traditionally.

If you don't think Bianco is immediately on the hot seat after what we did last year, you're crazy. Baseball just gets less attention. Their boards were in meltdown mode when we made our run in baseball, but for some reason Guys like you and Bo Bounds weren't talking about them.

Very good points.

BulldogBear
10-21-2013, 10:37 AM
I wish we cared more, not less.

I mean care less about what they think and the garbage they and the media spew.

We should definately care more!!!!