PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Women's basketball recruiting...

maroonmania
03-14-2019, 04:53 PM
Dang, Staley doing some work. I didn't realize it but just saw where SC signed 4 of the top 13 recruits in the ESPN Top 100 recruits in the nation. That is a step above what Duke normally does on the men's side. We got 3 of the top 100 but 2 of ours are in the bottom 15 of that list. Still the best class Vic has ever signed.

ScoobaDawg
03-14-2019, 05:24 PM
I'm fine with who we got. signed 4 and commit from top 10 5* star player. We lost 3 girls before the season began. Have Promise Taylor sitting after transferring in from Mississippi. losing 4 seniors will hurt but loads of talent on the team and Bibby coming back.
Depending on what our plan is that still only makes 14.. (13-4+5) when you can have 15. Haven't heard any word of a grad transfer though.

Dawg2003
03-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Some of those players she recruited will have to accept their roles and not being the star. They will have to buy in and work for a common goal. Not saying she can't get them to do that, but collecting a bunch of talent doesn't automatically mean you can tame that talent. Look at Tennessee and Texas. They have had # 1 recruiting classes in the past 4 years, and they are not very good teams. They have a lot of individual talent, but they can't win games together.

Dawn underachieved this year. She has several 5 stars and McDonald's All-Americans on her team. The replacing A'ja excuse doesn't cut it. There are also plenty of 5 stars and McDonald's all Americans that have been busts. Te'a Cooper has been a bust so far, and so has Cuevas-Moore to some extent. Cuevas-Moore basically lost her starting role to Ty Harris 2 years ago.

captaindog
03-14-2019, 05:48 PM
I'm fine with who we got. signed 4 and commit from top 10 5* star player. We lost 3 girls before the season began. Have Promise Taylor sitting after transferring in from Mississippi. losing 4 seniors will hurt but loads of talent on the team and Bibby coming back.
Depending on what our plan is that still only makes 14.. (13-4+5) when you can have 15. Haven't heard any word of a grad transfer though.

I expect some growing pains next season. However in regard to pure talent this is by far the most highly ranked class he has signed. Rickea Jackson is rated as high as 3 in Prospect Nation. Mingo-Young was rated in the top 15 prior to her knee injuries. With her it?s all going to depend if she recovers. Hemingway is also rated top 20 in Prospect Nation. Matharu hasn?t been as highly rated but she was in the top two players on a top 5 nationally ranked team. Martinez is more of a mystery because she has been hurt. However she had a South Carolina offer. I?ll be interested how they develop.

Dawg2003
03-14-2019, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I expect some growing pains from a young team next year. We will have a sophomore PG who has never started before and a freshman behind her. That alone will cause some growing pains. No seniors on the team either. I hope Bibby can fully recover.

KOdawg1
03-14-2019, 06:06 PM
I think it's a trade off really. Staley gets the better class on paper, but I don't think she's quite the X's and O's coach that Vic is. And that's not to say she's not a good coach or our class this year isn't good. I just trust him to get his players to fit what he wants to do better than Staley can. Us and USCe are going to be neck and neck for the next few years.

99jc
03-14-2019, 06:33 PM
I think it's a trade off really. Staley gets the better class on paper, but I don't think she's quite the X's and O's coach that Vic is. And that's not to say she's not a good coach or our class this year isn't good. I just trust him to get his players to fit what he wants to do better than Staley can. Us and USCe are going to be neck and neck for the next few years.

if Vic gets Kamella Cardosa this year he reloaded on a T like center. she is 6'8" and shoots it better than Tiera out of high school. She plays with the girl we signed this year out of Tenn. #1 center in the country. I heard we are in good with her.

WSOPdawg
03-14-2019, 07:14 PM
if Vic gets Kamella Cardosa this year he reloaded on a T like center. she is 6'8" and shoots it better than Tiera out of high school. She plays with the girl we signed this year out of Tenn. #1 center in the country. I heard we are in good with her.

Dang, how awesome would that be!!! Feels good to be a major player in a sport.

maroonmania
03-14-2019, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I expect some growing pains from a young team next year. We will have a sophomore PG who has never started before and a freshman behind her. That alone will cause some growing pains. No seniors on the team either. I hope Bibby can fully recover.

Yea, some of the ratings are a little suspect. Even for us, no disrespect to Myah Taylor, who I think will be a pretty good player for us, but this is her second year in the program and when I watch her play I don't see how she was rated a 5 star player. She just doesn't look to be that level of player.

maroonmania
03-14-2019, 10:52 PM

Is she a 2020 recruit?

ZedFedder
03-15-2019, 09:57 AM

Would love to get her! Ado is also from Hamilton Heights and we have a 2020 recruit for the men from there as well. Having that plus Martinez plus Vic’s success would hopefully mean we get her.

I also think Vic is going to turn Promise Taylor into a very, very good player. I’m not saying Big T good, but I won’t be surprised if she is All-SEC before her time is done.

99jc
03-15-2019, 10:04 AM
I keep forgetting about Promise Taylor.,,,,I know losing Tiera is big but I have confidence in Vic to have us back as top 10 team he is that good. our style of defense is going to have us in every game,

ScoobaDawg
03-15-2019, 10:47 AM

It is kinda crazy I caught myself looking into recruits the other day.. mainly because I'm interested to see who the next T could be. Kamella would be a big time get, just need to get her on campus for a visit which as a top 5 program.. shouldn't be hard.

timotheus
03-15-2019, 10:52 AM
If Vic puts 4 other capable players on the court with Promise Taylor, she will dominate.

ScoobaDawg
03-15-2019, 10:58 AM
I keep forgetting about Promise Taylor.,,,,I know losing Tiera is big but I have confidence in Vic to have us back as top 10 team he is that good. our style of defense is going to have us in every game,

Yea.. it is someone we forget about because she transferred in. She's a 4* that made all-sec freshmen team last year with a stat line of - 16 conference games, averaged 7.8 points and 5.8 rebounds while swatting 39 shots, an SEC third-most 2.4 blocks per game. Compare that to T's freshmen line - 16 conference games, 5.1 pts,, 5.5 rebounds, and 23 blocks.
Does that mean she has a higher upside than T... nope. But she's played against T and Aja Wilson before transferring.. now she's had a full year of practice against T and Howard..and working with Vic and Johnny and the rest of the staff. How much of a jump can she make for her Soph year? that's an unknown. but It should be a solid piece.

I mean all we expect is a double double every game...

KOdawg1
03-15-2019, 11:12 AM
If Vic puts 4 other capable players on the court with Promise Taylor, she will dominate.

PG- Taylor/Tate
SG- AEH/Scott
SF- Wiggins/Jackson
PF- Bibby/Martinez
C- Taylor/Carter

That's a group that can win a lot of games. Yes, we lose the rebounding and physicality of T and Anriel, but this team has more scorers. AEH and Bibby provide you with a 3 point threat, Rickea Jackson is a scorer as well, and another year for Wiggins and Scott will turn them into great contributors and solid SEC players. If Promise Taylor can be what we think she can be down low, her and Carter can minimize the impact of losing T. PG play is the only question mark for me. Like some have said, Myah hasn't looked like a 5 star player at times, but if she can piece it together, she can take us from a solid Sweet 16 team to even better.

ScoobaDawg
03-15-2019, 11:14 AM
Taylor
Scott (or Fr)
AEH
Bibby
Promise

KentuckyDawg13
03-15-2019, 12:37 PM
Jackson will start.

ScoobaDawg
03-15-2019, 03:12 PM
Jackson will start.
Depends on her defense. you can't keep up with man to man. she won't start.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Jackson will start.

I agree

Homedawg
03-15-2019, 04:49 PM
Dang, Staley doing some work. I didn't realize it but just saw where SC signed 4 of the top 13 recruits in the ESPN Top 100 recruits in the nation. That is a step above what Duke normally does on the men's side. We got 3 of the top 100 but 2 of ours are in the bottom 15 of that list. Still the best class Vic has ever signed.

step above duke? They signed 3 out of the top 5 and 4 out of the top 10. But yes amazing none the less by Staley.

captaindog
03-15-2019, 10:49 PM
Jackson will start.

I?ll caveat this position with Bibby?s full recovery and return to form. If Jackson is starting that is really good news for the team as we have at least two other players that could also be starting in the forward position she would take.