PDA

View Full Version : Can't we just "redshirt" Nick Spoon next year?

Dawg61
03-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Permanently kicking him off the team is too harsh. He's a good kid that had a really dumb lapse of judgment but it ain't like he committed a felony here.

yjnkdawg
03-13-2019, 05:55 PM
Permanently kicking him off the team is too harsh. He's a good kid that had a really dumb lapse of judgment but it ain't like he committed a felony here.

I'll just leave that up to the knowledgeable people who actually make the decision concerning his time as an athlete at MSU.

MaroonFlounder
03-13-2019, 05:56 PM
I think he's not just off the team, but expelled from the University.

Dawg61
03-13-2019, 06:05 PM

That would be an absurd ruling by MSU. We aren't Yale or Harvard here. Suspend him for 1.5 semesters but permanently expelling him from the supremely high and might academic halls of Mississippi State University is ridiculous.

msudawg1200
03-13-2019, 06:08 PM
That would be an absurd ruling by MSU. We aren't Yale or Harvard here. Suspend him for 1.5 semesters but permanently expelling him from the supremely high and might academic halls of Mississippi State University is ridiculous.

Are you saying my Mississippi State education isn’t as good as Harvard or Yale? How dare you.

RocketDawg
03-13-2019, 06:50 PM

That's what I was thinking too. Or assumed.

RocketDawg
03-13-2019, 06:54 PM

The real question is ... what would they do with a student if that student was not an athlete? Nick should get the same treatment as any other student, either good or bad. Presumably he will lose his scholarship if all that's being implied is true.

I think most reputable universities would expell the student if caught blatantly cheating. And I'm not talking about fraternities keeping files of old tests ... if a prof is lazy and dumb enough to give the same test every year, then so be it. I'm talking about egregious cheating, like having someone else take a test for you.

RocketDawg
03-13-2019, 06:55 PM
Are you saying my Mississippi State education isn’t as good as Harvard or Yale? How dare you.

You say that jokingly, but it shouldn't be a joke. It should be true.

msbulldog
03-13-2019, 07:04 PM
You say that jokingly, but it shouldn't be a joke. It should be true.

I'm as proud of my MSU degree as I would be of one from Harvard or Yale. Probably could have gotten in one of those if I applied, but I don't speak Yankee.

biggun
03-13-2019, 07:20 PM
He has played his last game at MSU. PERIOD

Liverpooldawg
03-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Cheating is serious stuff. We are a University, not a sports club.

LC Dawg
03-13-2019, 07:39 PM
I have no idea what Nick did but if he broke a rule that is punishable by expulsion from school them he earned the expulsion. His career isn't over. He can go play somewhere else - probably on scholarship or getting paid as a pro. That's a better deal than a regular student would get.
Life has consequences. We all learn it at some point .

skadoosh14
03-13-2019, 07:47 PM

How about we try to uphold the academic integrity of the institution that gave most of us our degrees.

Todd4State
03-13-2019, 07:50 PM
Can't we just fire Bracky?

Appears that the answer is no.

HoopsDawg
03-13-2019, 08:01 PM

Suspension, retake the class, and a 2nd Chance not good enough for you?

Dawg61
03-13-2019, 09:38 PM

Lol what a joke

somebodyshotmypaw
03-13-2019, 09:51 PM

Agreed.

MarketingBully
03-13-2019, 10:21 PM
This hasn’t been decided yet. I think ED has jumped the gun on this.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2019, 07:58 AM

If he had someonelse take a test for him, no. I don't want my degree cheapened.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Lol what a joke

Your stance here explains a lot about you.

msstate7
03-14-2019, 08:02 AM

No idea what happened; but if the test during the game is true, that's more than cheating, it's fraud. What if during the investigation it was found that this wasn't an isolated event? Nick wasn't kicked out immediately, so I'm guessing we tried to find a way to keep him. It's just hard to say what should happen when we don't have the full story

HoopsDawg
03-14-2019, 08:30 AM
If he had someonelse take a test for him, no. I don't want my degree cheapened.

lol at your degree cheapened. Glad you've never made a mistake.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-14-2019, 08:33 AM

Was Spoon treated differently than any other student in this situation?

HoopsDawg
03-14-2019, 08:39 AM

Your typical student doesn't get free tudors working with them every week. Your typical student is trying to get a degree and a job. Nick is trying to play professional basketball. Does this excuse what happened? Hell no. But if it's his first offense, I would think there's a solution that wouldn't involve expulsion. Let's cut the naivety that football and basketball players are the same as regular students.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-14-2019, 09:08 AM
Your typical student doesn't get free tudors working with them every week. Your typical student is trying to get a degree and a job. Nick is trying to play professional basketball. Does this excuse what happened? Hell no. But if it's his first offense, I would think there's a solution that wouldn't involve expulsion. Let's cut the naivety that football and basketball players are the same as regular students.

Until the NCAA and the University part ways, they are. These players know the rules going in. Why should we give them an exception? Because they might play in the NBA? Give me a break.

chef dixon
03-14-2019, 10:36 AM
This is a desperate take.

He is a solid player, but this is not program changing. Hell it has not even affected the results of our season.

Also, if he gets any sort of prolonged suspension, he aint going to stick around when there is money to be made overseas. School isnt for everyone and I think the evidence points towards its not Nick?s favorite thing in the world.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2019, 10:43 AM

Having someone else take a test for you isn't a mistake. That's actually academic fraud. That's serious academic fraud. There are people about to go to jail over it when it comes to the ACT.

For the record, I always took my own tests. It never occurred to me to do otherwise. If it had, I still wouldn't have done it.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2019, 10:45 AM

I think that gets anyone booted. If it does and you don't boot him, that's a level one NCAA violation.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2019, 10:49 AM

That kind of help IS available to regular students if they seek it out. It's just academic people though, not Henry VIII.

StarkVegasSteve
03-14-2019, 11:04 AM
That kind of help IS available to regular students if they seek it out.

State has a learning center that offers free tutoring to students. Went there a few times myself, it's very helpful but I'd be willing to guess that only about 15% of students know about it.

Coursesuper
03-14-2019, 11:22 AM
That this thread was even started is amazing.

gravedigger
03-14-2019, 12:17 PM
Lol what a joke

Is there a reason you thin his punishment is based off 1 act?

RocketDawg
03-14-2019, 12:30 PM
Having someone else take a test for you isn't a mistake. That's actually academic fraud. That's serious academic fraud. There are people about to go to jail over it when it comes to the ACT.

For the record, I always took my own tests. It never occurred to me to do otherwise. If it had, I still wouldn't have done it.

The Hollywood scandal is about the SAT, not the ACT. Similar entranced exams, but not the same. The SAT is much more widely required. MSU takes both.

Dawg61
03-14-2019, 12:37 PM
That this thread was even started is amazing.

Thanks for visiting it from your high and mighty castle

Coursesuper
03-14-2019, 01:07 PM
Thanks for visiting it from your high and mighty castle

Sharp as a marble that guy.

sandwolf
03-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Is there a reason you thin his punishment is based off 1 act?

Is there a reason you think it isn't?