PDA

View Full Version : Nick Weatherspoon

jwells
03-13-2019, 03:42 PM
is done at Mississippi State. Not sure when the news will officially break but can confirm from a reliable source he will not play for the Bulldogs again. Related to an academic violation that the university considered too severe to allow reinstatement.

Cloak
03-13-2019, 03:47 PM
Damnit

msu15
03-13-2019, 03:52 PM
We are...clap clap clap....MSU!

basedog
03-13-2019, 03:56 PM
The way it was told to me I was like "wut"?

jwells
03-13-2019, 03:58 PM
The way it was told to me I was like "wut"?

Yea, pretty head scratching how we could let that happen.

basedog
03-13-2019, 04:15 PM
Yea, pretty head scratching how we could let that happen.

Not sure about "how we could let that happen", it's all on Nick.

skadoosh14
03-13-2019, 04:18 PM
For those of is who aren't in the know, do we have anything to worry about beyond Nick being dismissed? A severe academic violation sounds like something that could have further repercussions.

jwells
03-13-2019, 04:23 PM
Not sure about "how we could let that happen", it's all on Nick.

Yea, your're right. I guess I thought there should be some coordination but at the end of the day, it's solely on him.

basedog
03-13-2019, 04:33 PM
For those of is who aren't in the know, do we have anything to worry about beyond Nick being dismissed? A severe academic violation sounds like something that could have further repercussions.

No, Msu policy.

fishwater99
03-13-2019, 04:43 PM
is done at Mississippi State. Not sure when the news will officially break but can confirm from a reliable source he will not play for the Bulldogs again. Related to an academic violation that the university considered too severe to allow reinstatement.

Why can't we take care of our athletes academics, or did Nick just do something stupid?

jwells
03-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Why can't we take care of our athletes academics, or did Nick just do something stupid?

Nick did something.

basedog
03-13-2019, 04:47 PM
I hate it for Nick and our basketball program but it was a no brainer from my understanding. Some things are way more important than sports. Just saying.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2019, 04:49 PM
We are...clap clap clap....MSU!

We are...clap clap clap....an institution of higher learning that should take academic integrity seriously.***

No, but really....without knowing exactly what he did, it must've been serious.

MadDawg
03-13-2019, 04:54 PM

Stupid doesn't even begin to describe it.

jwells
03-13-2019, 04:55 PM
I hate it for Nick and our basketball program but it was a no brainer from my understanding. Some things are way more important than sports. Just saying.

Yea, there is really no defense at his hearing that would have explained it. He made the mistake and will pay the price.

DawgRockur
03-13-2019, 05:08 PM
Are yall really keeping this shit a secret at this point? 17 man.. spill the beans. This is a message board for Christs sake

hopsondawg22
03-13-2019, 05:29 PM
Are yall really keeping this shit a secret at this point? 17 man.. spill the beans. This is a message board for Christs sake

He had a student take a test for him during a game is the hot rumor. It’s been floating around since after the Arkansas game.

msstate7
03-13-2019, 05:30 PM
When this started, some posters said this involved other sport. Any other athletes get the boot?

Dawg61
03-13-2019, 05:43 PM
He had a student take a test for him during a game is the hot rumor. It’s been floating around since after the Arkansas game.

That's passing fake counterfeit 100s at the Hunt club level dumb

MarketingBully
03-13-2019, 05:48 PM
When this started, some posters said this involved other sport. Any other athletes get the boot?

If this is what happened, this seems like it is an isolated incident. I know several experts like Steve, Paul, Hadad, and others have said the football thing was false.

MaroonFlounder
You would think after the Fred Brown incident that we would've had all student athletes gathered together for a "coming to Jesus" meeting about academic integrity, and the fact that it is one strike and you're out of school, not just off the team.

WSOPdawg

Oh man, forgot about that stupid-level sh!tshow from back in the day... wasn't that one of our prized high-star RBs at the time?

I seen it dawg
03-13-2019, 05:58 PM

No. But close.

I seen it dawg
03-13-2019, 06:00 PM

No. Isolated.

Ari Gold
03-13-2019, 06:00 PM
If this is what happened, this seems like it is an isolated incident. I know several experts like Steve, Paul, Hadad, and others have said the football thing was false.

From my sources nothing to do with football , any other sports and no one but Nick ..

And I will say this Yes Nick ****ed up , but if what he did and how it went down is true , IMO he is playing at 3/4 of the schools in the Sec..

Dawg61
03-13-2019, 06:02 PM
Oh man, forgot about that stupid-level sh!tshow from back in the day... wasn't that one of our prized high-star RBs at the time?

It was Nick Turner and he was better his freshman year than Norwood was. Turner got killed a few years later in a shooting I believe.

I seen it dawg
03-13-2019, 06:03 PM
It's a tutor and Nick problem.

MaroonFlounder
03-13-2019, 06:15 PM
It was Nick Turner and he was better his freshman year than Norwood was. Turner got killed a few years later in a shooting I believe.

They never found Nick's body.

RocketDawg
03-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Does this affect games Nick has played in this year? Particularly when he multi-tasked and played at the same time he was taking a test (allegedly)?

RocketDawg
03-13-2019, 06:49 PM

I know I say it all the time, but I'm going to say it again: Why should athletes be held to any academic standards different than any other student? Why should "we" have to take care of our athletes' academics? Isn't that something they should do themselves? "We" already provide them tutors ... shouldn't they be grateful and take advantage?

1bigdawg
03-13-2019, 07:01 PM
If someone else took a test for him "during a game," why isn't that on the other person. I don't believe we have the story straight.

I seen it dawg
03-13-2019, 07:03 PM
There are some that dont

RocketDawg
03-13-2019, 07:04 PM
If someone else took a test for him "during a game," why isn't that on the other person. I don't believe we have the story straight.

I suspect both individuals will receive similar punishment. Let's just hope the professor wasn't complicit.

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2019, 07:51 PM
I know I say it all the time, but I'm going to say it again: Why should athletes be held to any academic standards different than any other student? Why should "we" have to take care of our athletes' academics? Isn't that something they should do themselves? "We" already provide them tutors ... shouldn't they be grateful and take advantage?

It just sucks because I can guarantee you 75% of other universities would've turned a blind eye to this. I mean do you really think Zion, RJ ,or Reddish are even going to class at this point? Yet I doubt their professors say anything and their stuff gets turned in. And Duke is 5x the academic institution we are. It just seems like we're the only school that crap like this happens to. And no I don't believe you should have to completely take care of their academics, but if you don't do it some other school is going to. Nick will be playing for someone else and I'd be willing to bet it'll be in Oxford, MS if he's interested.

RocketDawg
03-13-2019, 08:04 PM
It just sucks because I can guarantee you 75% of other universities would've turned a blind eye to this. I mean do you really think Zion, RJ ,or Reddish are even going to class at this point? Yet I doubt their professors say anything and their stuff gets turned in. And Duke is 5x the academic institution we are. It just seems like we're the only school that crap like this happens to. And no I don't believe you should have to completely take care of their academics, but if you don't do it some other school is going to. Nick will be playing for someone else and I'd be willing to bet it'll be in Oxford, MS if he's interested.

As Jack Lambert said, we're a University, not a sports club. If the "student-athlete" is just a pretense, then just go ahead and hire the athletes for the students and alumni entertainment, and not even make them go to school.

confucius say
03-13-2019, 08:12 PM
They never found Nick's body.

I went in with that class and we had 4 five stars. Two of them killed, nick turner and D Williams. Sad.

hopsondawg22
03-13-2019, 09:26 PM
Dapoo was something else on the field. RIP.

Goldendawg
03-13-2019, 09:30 PM
I went in with that class and we had 4 five stars. Two of them killed, nick turner and D Williams. Sad.

Turner was known as "Quick Nick" and had a great Freshman year. He was one of the 1st, if not the 1st that Sly cut loose. He was killed in a drug deal gone bad in Atlanta, I think.

msu15
03-14-2019, 07:31 AM
We are...clap clap clap....an institution of higher learning that should take academic integrity seriously.***

No, but really....without knowing exactly what he did, it must've been serious.

I'm talking about our luck here with our best basketball team in a decade lol, not taking a shot at the school.

Jack Lambert
03-14-2019, 07:56 AM

This would not even be a issue at Ole Miss.

HoopsDawg
03-14-2019, 08:32 AM

At Ole Miss they just call this a Monday.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-14-2019, 09:10 AM

And that's why their Athletic Dept is a heaping pile of shit. I prefer our method any day of the week.

mstatefan91
03-14-2019, 09:29 AM
And that's why their Athletic Dept is a heaping pile of shit. I prefer our method any day of the week.

Is there not a more balanced approach?

msstate7
03-14-2019, 09:34 AM
It's crazy to me that nick apparently cheated and got caught, yet we're mad at admins, not nick.

Dawgology
03-14-2019, 09:38 AM
It's crazy to me that nick apparently cheated and got caught, yet we're mad at admins, not nick.

right???

If a regular student cheats they are expelled (and good luck getting into another accredited college or university). End of story.

CadaverDawg
03-14-2019, 09:50 AM

I'm mad at Nick. Selfish move, bye Nick. He was good and we needed him, but he didn't have quite the impact I expected from a 5 star guard that North Carolina wanted. He's not irreplaceable. Still hate to lose him, but it's his own damn fault, so bye bye.

Ari Gold
03-14-2019, 10:03 AM
right???

If a regular student cheats they are expelled (and good luck getting into another accredited college or university). End of story.

That’s not always the case..

gtowndawg
03-14-2019, 10:31 AM
When will an announcement be made by the school? Not what he did but simply he's no longer part of the program. If this is a done deal, why not issue a press release?

BrunswickDawg
03-14-2019, 10:35 AM

And we are operating in a vacuum too - we know nothing other than rumors and "sources". Was it a first offense? Was it this semester or last semester? If it was an auto F, did that make him academically ineligible because the rest of his grades were not up to snuff, etc. etc. We have to assume it was serious enough that the generous leeway given to athletes (and believe me, they get it) couldn't overcome the situation without negatively impacting the team as a whole. Many people casting stones on here would be pissed if we did nothing, then found out we had to forfeit the season and post season play for playing an ineligible player.

smootness
03-14-2019, 11:14 AM
That’s not always the case..

You have to believe that if he was expelled, then any other student who did something similar would also be expelled. It's not like the school is going to be more harsh on a big-time athlete.

Steakonastick
03-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Found this on University’s Honor Code-

Handling a Case

The Student Honor Code designates the Student Honor Code Council as the administrative coordination point for handling all cases of academic misconduct. The faculty member has the option of handling the case individually or to refer the case to the Student Honor Code Office. When a faculty member chooses to handle the case individually, this is the process:

A faculty member may handle cases directly in the following situations:

It is a first time offense.
It is not anticipated to require an outcome greater than an XF..
The student does not request referral to the Student Honor Code Council.
A faculty member may refer the case to the Student Honor Code Council at any point in the process.

The accused student may appeal the faculty member's decision to the Student Honor Code Council

Faculty Reporting Process

Step 1

Upon learning of alleged academic misconduct, the faculty member shall contact the Student Honor Code Office to report the incident, begin a case file, and obtain background information on the accused student, if any. If the student has a previous record, the case is required to be referred to the Student Honor Code Council for further handling.

Step 2

If there is no previous record and the faculty member decides to handle the case individually, the faculty member will then meet with the accused student. In this meeting, the faculty member shall inform the student of the allegation and give the student the opportunity to be heard.

Step 3

After meeting with the accused student the faculty member will determine if academic misconduct has occurred. If no misconduct is found the case is dropped, no action against the student is taken, and the decision is reported to the Student Honor Code Office. If the faculty member determines that there has been academic misconduct, the faculty member determines the severity of the violation and assesses a sanction in accordance with Student Honor Code policies. The faculty member completes and submits the Student Honor Code Violation Report Form (pp. 16-17) to the Student Honor Code Office.

In all cases, if the faculty member determines the violation deserves a greater penalty than an XF, the case must be referred to the Student Honor Code Office for adjudication.

Step 4

The faculty member then meets with the student to notify him/her of the decision, the sanction, and of the adjudication and appeal process. Each student is required to check one of the student response options on the Student Honor Code Violation Report Form and sign the form.

Step 5

If the student accepts responsibility for the academic misconduct and accepts the sanction assigned by the faculty member, the Student Honor Code Violation Report Form is sent to the Student Honor Code Director within five (5) University business days where it is included in the case file and the case is completed.

If the student indicates on the Student Honor Code Violation Report Form that they do not agree with the sanction or deny the misconduct occurred, the faculty member submits the Student Honor Code Violation Report Form and all applicable documentation to the Student Honor Code Director within five (5) University business days. This submission begins the process by which the Student Honor Code Office adjudicates the case (see section on the Student Honor Code Council Process).

Note: In the event that the student’s case is not resolved before the end of the semester, submit the notation “GDP” as their final grade.

The Student Honor Code Director may extend deadlines for extenuating circumstances.

Student Honor Code Staff- If the case is referred to the Student Honor Code Office, the faculty member completes the Student Honor Code Violation Report Form (pp. 16-17) and sends it (along with supporting information) to the Student Honor Code Office for further consideration within five (5) university business days of learning of the alleged incident. The Student Honor Code Director may extend deadlines for extenuating circumstances.

Violation Report Form

Student Honor Code Council- When a student does not accept responsibility for violating the student honor code, disagrees with the recommended sanction of the course instructor, or has a prior violation of the Mississippi State University Student Honor Code; the case is entered in the Student Honor Code Council hearing process. The Student Honor Code Office staff will work with the reporting faculty member and student to identify a convenient time to conduct the hearing. Hearing panels are composed of three faculty members, two student members, and one non-voting chair. The panel will make the determination if a student is responsible for violating the Student Honor Code, if the student is found responsible, the council will also decide on an appropriate sanction.

StarkVegasSteve
03-14-2019, 11:45 AM
You have to believe that if he was expelled, then any other student who did something similar would also be expelled. It's not like the school is going to be more harsh on a big-time athlete.

I wouldn't think he'd still be allowed to be on the bench if he was expelled.

gtowndawg
03-14-2019, 11:51 AM
And we are operating in a vacuum too - we know nothing other than rumors and "sources". Was it a first offense? Was it this semester or last semester? If it was an auto F, did that make him academically ineligible because the rest of his grades were not up to snuff, etc. etc. We have to assume it was serious enough that the generous leeway given to athletes (and believe me, they get it) couldn't overcome the situation without negatively impacting the team as a whole. Many people casting stones on here would be pissed if we did nothing, then found out we had to forfeit the season and post season play for playing an ineligible player.

That's what I'm saying. The university needs to address it. That doesn't mean they need to provide details but at some point the rumor outpaces the facts and once that happens it's hard to curtail.

BiscuitEater
03-14-2019, 12:13 PM
I hate it for Nick and our basketball program but it was a no brainer from my understanding.

If it's a 'no brainer' .. how / why is he still practicing with the team, traveling and sitting on the bench?

smootness
03-14-2019, 01:19 PM

They may not have come to a resolution on it at that point. We'll see if he's there tonight.

Dawg61
03-14-2019, 01:31 PM
The reason I don't agree with permanent expulsion is I don't believe that penalty is common knowledge to students. It might be for older adults but I don't think students view cheating as seriously an offense as say sexual assault or selling drugs yet all three get you expelled.

RocketDawg
03-14-2019, 01:36 PM

I don't think he made the trips to Knoxville or Auburn, and don't think he was on the bench when we played A&M in Starkville. I could, of course, be misremembering.

RocketDawg
03-14-2019, 01:38 PM
The reason I don't agree with permanent expulsion is I don't believe that penalty is common knowledge to students. It might be for older adults but I don't think students view cheating as seriously an offense as say sexual assault or selling drugs yet all three get you expelled.

It doesn't matter how the student views it; it's how the controlling institution views it. Yes, student views are probably more lax these days but just because students don't think it's a big deal doesn't make it any more ethically acceptable.

RocketDawg
03-14-2019, 01:39 PM

Stans' kids were on the bench and they were never members of the team. **

confucius say
03-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Ncaa rule prevents a suspended player from traveling, FYI.

Dawg61
03-14-2019, 02:19 PM
It doesn't matter how the student views it; it's how the controlling institution views it. Yes, student views are probably more lax these days but just because students don't think it's a big deal doesn't make it any more ethically acceptable.

My point is the punishment isn't effectively relayed to the students beforehand

smootness
03-14-2019, 02:39 PM

Please. Everyone is well aware that cheating puts you at risk with your school. Anyone who claims otherwise is willfully ignorant.

BrunswickDawg
03-14-2019, 02:47 PM

I was actually talking to my daughter and her boyfriend about this last night (home for spring break, both MSU students - she is met, he is Mech Eng.). They are well aware of the ramifications of cheating on tests and the honor code - it is referred to in almost every class syllabus and emphasized by the instructors. My daughter told me that in her Chem class last semester, they shut down the mid term she was in and checked everyone for cheating material. Kicked out multiple kids for cheating. The cheating they describe as "usual" and "accepted" was similar to what I saw in my day - sharing of info and intel about tests, sharing old work/tests from profs who repeat themselves, etc. They said the cheating they see on tests is caught often, and gets punished regularly. Most of the in-test cheating they have seen is in STEM classes - especially the "weed out" classes - Chem, Cal, Physics.

StateDawg44
03-14-2019, 03:10 PM

Instead of the real counterfeit 100s?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-14-2019, 03:14 PM
I don't think he made the trips to Knoxville or Auburn, and don't think he was on the bench when we played A&M in Starkville. I could, of course, be misremembering.

He was on the bench for A&M. Walked out with Q during Sr day festivities. He's been on the bench for every home game since the suspension. Hes still practicing with the team including yesterday morning before they left to go to Nashville.

Lord McBuckethead
03-14-2019, 03:23 PM

Well I am certain they wouldn't have an online class test during a damn game. They would have moved that test to a different time, then allowed the tutor to take it. Plausible deniability.

RocketDawg
03-14-2019, 03:56 PM
He was on the bench for A&M. Walked out with Q during Sr day festivities. He's been on the bench for every home game since the suspension. Hes still practicing with the team including yesterday morning before they left to go to Nashville.

OK, I suppose I just didn't notice. Do you think he made the trip to Nashville?

Quaoarsking
03-14-2019, 04:46 PM

It is though.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-14-2019, 04:52 PM
OK, I suppose I just didn't notice. Do you think he made the trip to Nashville?

No he hasn't made any road trips since he's been suspended.

Dawg61
03-14-2019, 06:52 PM
It is though.

It really isn't common knowledge to 18-20 year olds that they'll get expelled from school and kicked off the team permanently and you know it's not. Just cause it's posted in a syllabus doesn't change that. If the University is gonna be hardcore about cheating then they need to post warnings and reminders not to do it all over the place and make announcements about it all the time or else don't be so hardcore about it. This could be a life changing punishment being handed out to Nick and if you think he actually thought he could possibly mess up that badly and he still did it I can't help you. Some people sure are choosey about the small amount of empathy they might ever have towards others.

Topbulldawg
03-14-2019, 07:11 PM
It really isn't common knowledge to 18-20 year olds that they'll get expelled from school and kicked off the team permanently and you know it's not. Just cause it's posted in a syllabus doesn't change that. If the University is gonna be hardcore about cheating then they need to post warnings and reminders not to do it all over the place and make announcements about it all the time or else don't be so hardcore about it. This could be a life changing punishment being handed out to Nick and if you think he actually thought he could possibly mess up that badly and he still did it I can't help you. Some people sure are choosey about the small amount of empathy they might ever have towards others.

That's absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't have to be in the syllabus, college kids know the consequences of cheating. Even if they didn't, they had two years to read the syllabus. I am not saying I am not for second chances or anything; but playing the "He didn't know the consequences" card completely invalidates your point.

BrunswickDawg
03-14-2019, 07:18 PM

Complete. Utter. Horseshit.
The kids on campus know that the school is hard on kids about cheating on exams becuase they see it happen. They see kids get caught and get punished. Hell, this isn't even the first athlete kicked out of school over it (allegedly) in the last few years.

DawgRockur
03-14-2019, 07:27 PM
He was on the bench vs A&M. Goddamman.. he was on the senior court with Q. Dubmass

Dawg61
03-14-2019, 07:49 PM
The kids on campus know that the school is hard on kids about cheating on exams becuase they see it happen. They see kids get caught and get punished. Hell, this isn't even the first athlete kicked out of school over it (allegedly) in the last few years.

Lol why so passionate?

BuckyIsAB****
03-14-2019, 07:56 PM

This makes me think he has a chance to stay with us

Rayburn8
03-14-2019, 08:05 PM

Homie, the honor code is in EVERY single classroom.

Dawg61
03-14-2019, 08:07 PM
Homie, the honor code is in EVERY single classroom.

Posted like the health department score at every restaurant yet how many patrons actually know the rating

Quaoarsking
03-14-2019, 08:10 PM

It is, and I know that it is. Maybe things were different when you were in school, but nowadays every professor goes out of their way to talk about the consequences of cheating. Plus the athletes get all kinds of extra reminders of why they just can't cheat beyond what normal students get.

You're probably right that Nick wasn't some diabolical mastermind who was trying to devalue other people's degrees and get away with it, but if the rumors about him cheating are true, he really doesn't have a leg to stand on.

mstatefan91
03-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Posted like the health department score at every restaurant yet how many patrons actually know the rating

Every single student that even halfway pays attention is aware of the honor code and the remifications of cheating. It really isn’t some kind of secret. You’re taking a real risk when you cheat

Saltydog
03-14-2019, 08:52 PM
Anyone know if Nick is on the bench tonight?

mstatefan91
03-14-2019, 09:01 PM
Anyone know if Nick is on the bench tonight?

He did not travel with the team. Not sure he’s on the team anymore.

Dawgcap
03-14-2019, 09:05 PM
I would think even if you are suspended you wouldn’t make a road trip. He sat at the home games but I don’t remember him at away games. You don’t give special treatment to someone suspended.

Anonymous
03-14-2019, 09:08 PM

No they don't. In my time at State I never met a single kid who got in trouble, much less kicked out, for cheating. The number I knew of who did something that qualified as cheating at one point or another, well over 50%. Frankly, the gravity of the consequences isn't even communicated, or at least it wasn't in my time there.

Show me someone who got through Physics 2 without referencing old tests, or storing notes/examples in their calculator, and I'll show you a liar. Maybe cheating is less common, or more people get caught, in easier or different types of courses. But in engineering I'll just tell you that anything you could use to your advantage was used, and nobody ever got caught doing it.

Walkerhill
03-14-2019, 09:26 PM
No they don't. In my time at State I never met a single kid who got in trouble, much less kicked out, for cheating. The number I knew of who did something that qualified as cheating at one point or another, well over 50%. Frankly, the gravity of the consequences isn't even communicated, or at least it wasn't in my time there.

Show me someone who got through Physics 2 without referencing old tests, or storing notes/examples in their calculator, and I'll show you a liar. Maybe cheating is less common, or more people get caught, in easier or different types of courses. But in engineering I'll just tell you that anything you could use to your advantage was used, and nobody ever got caught doing it.

Old tests? Were some of them caught studying too?

Using old tests that are publicly available is not cheating by any measure I ever heard. The professors know that returned tests from previous semesters are out there, and they plan accordingly. Or not - that?s on them.

Storing crap in your calculator is stone cold cheating. If someone was caught doing that it would be serious.

Having someone else take an online test for you during a period you are on national television not taking a test... is super duper cheating.

And yes, they talked to us about these things, every single semester, in every single course, during the first class when they went over the syllabus.

Conflating these 3 levels is senseless. Undermining our universities academic credibility over sports is also senseless.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-14-2019, 09:37 PM

Agreed that it was never relayed to me when I was a student. Of course they didn't tell me not to murder, rape, or sell drugs, but I figured it out. If a college student can't figure out that cheating is wrong, then their dumbass shouldn't be in college period. If Nick cheated, then his ass should be shown the door. Period.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-14-2019, 09:38 PM

Don't call me a liar. I earned my grades on my own with hard work and effort. So go screw yourself.

Dawg61
03-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Don't call me a liar. I earned my grades on my own with hard work and effort. So go screw yourself.

Lol every 19 year old that cheats is intentionally disrespecting you personally

somebodyshotmypaw
03-14-2019, 09:47 PM

No. The poster's exact quote was "Show me someone who got through Physics 2 without referencing old tests, or storing notes/examples in their calculator, and I'll show you a liar." I took physics 2 and succeeding by attending class, paying attention, taking notes, and studying. So he's calling me a liar.

Anonymous
03-14-2019, 10:00 PM
No. The poster's exact quote was "Show me someone who got through Physics 2 without referencing old tests, or storing notes/examples in their calculator, and I'll show you a liar." I took physics 2 and succeeding by attending class, paying attention, taking notes, and studying. So he's calling me a liar.

You may have "took Physics and succeeding", but you sure as shit didn't learn anything about hyperboles. Everyone in my Physics 2 class used old tests and most of them used graphing calculators to store examples. Maybe you didn't take cal based, maybe you didn't have Afanosev, or maybe you're just full of shit. Regardless, grow some skin.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-14-2019, 10:06 PM
You may have "took Physics and succeeding", but you sure as shit didn't learn anything about hyperboles. Everyone in my Physics 2 class used old tests and most of them used graphing calculators to store examples. Maybe you didn't take cal based, maybe you didn't have Afanosev, or maybe you're just full of shit. Regardless, grow some skin.

I've got skin. But you don't have to cheat to succeed. What the heck is wrong with working? Are you too much of a puss to put in the work? I don't remember who I had in physics 2, but I do know I didn't cheat. I guarantee that. I'm honestly amazed at the folks on this board who blow off cheating. Honestly amazed.

Anonymous
03-14-2019, 10:06 PM

Using old tests that are publicly available is not cheating by any measure I ever heard. The professors know that returned tests from previous semesters are out there, and they plan accordingly. Or not - that?s on them.

Storing crap in your calculator is stone cold cheating. If someone was caught doing that it would be serious.

Having someone else take an online test for you during a period you are on national television not taking a test... is super duper cheating.

And yes, they talked to us about these things, every single semester, in every single course, during the first class when they went over the syllabus.

Conflating these 3 levels is senseless. Undermining our universities academic credibility over sports is also senseless.

I mean, teachers have the ability to not allow graphing calculators. By the logic you used for old tests, they can account for them or not, that's on them. It's actually less of an advantage than old tests in most cases.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2019, 10:19 PM

If you have a degree from MSU and what is being told here is true, that's exactly what it is, a personal insult. That ain't copying somebody's homework. It's having somebody take a test for you. That's serious academic fraud. I take it you don't have a degree from MSU. Given your take, yours must be from .....naw.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2019, 10:26 PM

Having someone take a test for you is just a bit different man. That's SERIOUS academic fraud. There is cheating, and there is CHEATING.

Dawg61
03-14-2019, 10:31 PM
If you have a degree from MSU and what is being told here is true, that's exactly what it is, a personal insult. That ain't copying somebody's homework. It's having somebody take a test for you. That's serious academic fraud. I take it you don't have a degree from MSU. Given your take, yours must be from .....naw.

I have a degree from State moron or else I wouldn't be subjecting myself to "chatting" with you on this board and Nick supposedly cheating doesn't disrespect my degree one bit. I couldn't give a shit what anyone else does it'll never disrespect the work I did personally to earn my degree. I will say though that sometimes others do act, stand for or say things that embarrasse my school that I don't appreciate but this isn't one of those times.

Quaoarsking
03-14-2019, 10:32 PM
I knew dozens of math and engineering majors who took Physics 2 and none of them cheated, at least not on the level of programming a cheat sheet into their calculator for an exam, which at the absolute most lenient would be an automatic F in the course, and probably an expulsion too.

I would assume every professor would make people clear the memory from their calculators just in case to prevent this kind of cheating, so it's not a very clever way to cheat anyway.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2019, 10:33 PM

I had a bad prof for Physics II. Found that out after my first test, I made a 20. Luckily the guy gave us a drop grade if we never missed a class. I used the book to teach myself that class. I went to class with a 103 fever one day. I got an A and I never cheated AT ALL. I damn sure took every test myself, including the dang 20, lol.

Dawgcap
03-14-2019, 10:37 PM
Old tests aren’t cheating. Cmon let’s be real.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-14-2019, 10:40 PM
I had a bad prof for Physics II. Found that out after my first test, I made a 20. Luckily the guy gave us a drop grade if we never missed a class. I used the book to teach myself that class. I went to class with a 103 fever one day. I got an A and I never cheated AT ALL. I damn sure took every test myself, including the dang 20, lol.

That's what I'm talking about. I went four years to MSU and never missed a single class. I wasn't scared of the work. I can remember going to the Landing on Thursday night, heck I even lived in the frat house. Still got my work done.

Liverpooldawg
03-14-2019, 10:57 PM
That's what I'm talking about. I went four years to MSU and never missed a single class. I wasn't scared of the work. I can remember going to the Landing on Thursday night, heck I even lived in the frat house. Still got my work done.

Yeah, and I just got a personal comment telling me I'm terrible, I assume from 61. He can't ban me here. Funny, the board he DID ban me on on this site, I can post on now, which I do very infrequently. He can't. Blatant in your face cheating is demeaning to the university and to everyone that has a degree from it. We are a UNIVERSITY, an educational institution. We are not a minor league sports franchise.

Dawg61
03-14-2019, 10:58 PM
I knew dozens of math and engineering majors who took Physics 2 and none of them cheated, at least not on the level of programming a cheat sheet into their calculator for an exam, which at the absolute most lenient would be an automatic F in the course, and probably an expulsion too.

I would assume every professor would make people clear the memory from their calculators just in case to prevent this kind of cheating, so it's not a very clever way to cheat anyway.

They'd be pretty awful cheaters if you knew they were doing it

mstatefan91
03-14-2019, 11:01 PM

You would be very incorrect here.

Dawg61
03-14-2019, 11:02 PM
Yeah, and I just got a personal comment telling me I'm terrible, I assume from 61. He can't ban me here. Funny, the board he DID ban me on on this site, I can post on now, which I do very infrequently. He can't. Blatant in your face cheating is demeaning to the university and to everyone that has a degree from it. We are a UNIVERSITY, an educational institution. We are not a minor league sports franchise.

No DA you got negative rep for once again pulling your usual Liverpool roundabout way of calling me and others a non-MSU fan. And for the seven billionth time I never banned you from the poli board dude. You went on an anti-muslim crusade in a thread you started and another mod banned you for it. Do you have memory loss problems?

Liverpooldawg
03-15-2019, 12:52 AM
No DA you got negative rep for once again pulling your usual Liverpool roundabout way of calling me and others a non-MSU fan. And for the seven billionth time I never banned you from the poli board dude. You went on an anti-muslim crusade in a thread you started and another mod banned you for it. Do you have memory loss problems?
I haven't seen you in one of my threads there lately. Bring it over there if you want to get into that again. This isn't the correct board for it.

I know who got me banned that time. I don't and never did blame the guy who actually pulled the plug on me. I never had any reason to. I don't stand on technicalities.

MagicDawg
03-15-2019, 04:33 AM
Show me someone who got through Physics 2 without referencing old tests, or storing notes/examples in their calculator, and I'll show you a liar.

I am happy to say that I did, and I'll welcome the opportunity to have you call me a liar to my face. [ETA: Calculus-based, physics major courses, no notes or examples stored in my calculator or anywhere else but my mind, Physics 1-3, astronomy, astrophysics, nuclear, modern, thermo, electronics, etc.]

I think a couple of people doth protest too much in defense of academic dishonesty. Also, we learned about "projection" in Carskadon's class.

Hail State!

Schultzy
03-15-2019, 07:01 AM
Juxtapose Nick’s situation here vs. North Carolina faking an entire college within the University in order to keep their hoops team eligible throughout their careers.

No building, no professors in existence, faked the whole damn thing. So after nearly a decade of investigating this thing the NCAA says “welp, this is not an athletics issue and out of our purview.”

I don’t believe we should lower our standards to that but it really is a sad commentary on our society.

Walkerhill
03-15-2019, 07:06 AM
I am happy to say that I did, and I'll welcome the opportunity to have you call me a liar to my face. [ETA: Calculus-based, physics major courses, no notes or examples stored in my calculator or anywhere else but my mind, Physics 1-3, astronomy, astrophysics, nuclear, modern, thermo, electronics, etc.]

I think a couple of people doth protest too much in defense of academic dishonesty. Also, we learned about "projection" in Carskadon's class.

Hail State!

Good call. The only reason on earth someone would try to put practicing on old tests to find representative questions and storing a digital cheat cheat on their calculator is feeling a little guilty about the second.

Lots of people pass hard college classes without cheating. Saying ‘everyone does it (or at least half do)’ or ‘it is not that different than what X or Y did’ is just rationalization.

And, come on, if the story about someone else taking Nicks test is true, a credible university cannot let that slide.

Liverpooldawg
03-15-2019, 08:11 AM

Hail State!

Projection, yep.

MSUDAWGFAN
03-15-2019, 08:15 AM
Juxtapose Nick?s situation here vs. North Carolina faking an entire college within the University in order to keep their hoops team eligible throughout their careers.

No building, no professors in existence, faked the whole damn thing. So after nearly a decade of investigating this thing the NCAA says ?welp, this is not an athletics issue and out of our purview.?

I don?t believe we should lower our standards to that but it really is a sad commentary on our society.

That's not the way I remember it. I remember the NCAA taking UNC to court and the court ruling with UNC. I could be wrong though.

Liverpooldawg
03-15-2019, 08:18 AM
The
That's not the way I remember it. I remember the NCAA taking UNC to court and the court ruling with UNC. I could be wrong though.

I seem to remember this as being what happened but I think it was UNC that took the NCAA to court. The court was the one that said it wasn't just being done for athletes. UNC should have lost its accreditation over that. I think they almost did.

MSUDAWGFAN
03-15-2019, 08:19 AM
I've got skin. But you don't have to cheat to succeed. What the heck is wrong with working? Are you too much of a puss to put in the work? I don't remember who I had in physics 2, but I do know I didn't cheat. I guarantee that. I'm honestly amazed at the folks on this board who blow off cheating. Honestly amazed.

I remember who I had in Physics 2. It was someone who wasn't a professor and didn't have a PhD. He was likely by far the easiest Physics professor the University ever had. Everyone in our class wanted him for Physics 3, but I don't think he taught again. His name was Jack Nail. I would have run through a wall to have him in Physics 3, but it wasn't my luck. Instead I had Ferguson for Physics 3.

I made an A in Physics 2 and didn't cheat. There were many others in my class that did as well. Like I said, he was very easy.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-15-2019, 08:30 AM
The sad narrative on this thread is those who think cheating is okay in order to obtain something, because "everybody does it". They want the easy way to take something they don't deserve. They don't want to put in the work to earn what they get. It's an entitlement culture.

MSUDAWGFAN
03-15-2019, 08:43 AM
The

I seem to remember this as being what happened but I think it was UNC that took the NCAA to court. The court was the one that said it wasn't just being done for athletes. UNC should have lost its accreditation over that. I think they almost did.

You are correct. The NCAA did not just say "Meh" and forget about it though. THey tried to punish them, but got overruled by the court.

Dawg61
03-15-2019, 11:09 AM
The sad narrative on this thread is those who think cheating is okay in order to obtain something, because "everybody does it". They want the easy way to take something they don't deserve. They don't want to put in the work to earn what they get. It's an entitlement culture.

Like paying 300k to get your spoiled brat into UPenn. The very rich have been entitled since money was invented.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Like paying 300k to get your spoiled brat into UPenn. The very rich have been entitled since money was invented.

Agreed. And I think that is wrong also. You don't see me defending the folks in this college scam do you? Because I assure you that I have not.

Rayburn8
03-15-2019, 12:51 PM

Seeing as every single teacher goes over it abd makes it clear the punishment for cheating, ya they do.

Lord McBuckethead
03-15-2019, 11:03 PM

I still don't know what is wrong with giving a donation to get your kid into a school you want. Admissions are in a grey area anyway. They can choose who to admit. There is not a clear cut minimum threshold for people. Hell Harvard or Penn State can admit someone that has a 16 on the ACT if they want.

Dawg61
03-15-2019, 11:43 PM
I still don't know what is wrong with giving a donation to get your kid into a school you want.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it legally but you're taking a spot away from a potentially more qualified kid who probably worked harder but just doesn't come from a rich family. America shouldn't be about whose the richest parents being able to make their kids successful with their money. It should be about the most talented and hardest working kids making themselves successful on their own.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-16-2019, 12:04 AM

Awesome! Dog61 and LiverDawg are going at it hammer and tongs. It is like a war broke out between North Korea and Iran and trying decide who to root for. The only way to make this any better is if you could only bring in misstake7

Hambone
03-16-2019, 12:15 AM
So nothing concrete on Nick? Just some more of the “well I heard this and it’s concrete BUT I can’t say??”

mstatefan91
03-16-2019, 12:21 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with it legally but you're taking a spot away from a potentially more qualified kid who probably worked harder but just doesn't come from a rich family. America shouldn't be about whose the richest parents being able to make their kids successful with their money. It should be about the most talented and hardest working kids making themselves successful on their own.

Donation and bribe are two very different things

the59dawg
03-16-2019, 11:19 AM

Majored in Chemistry back in the old days. 26 hrs physics, 23hrs math and 70 odd hrs in chem counting labs. We didn't have calculators. Ahh, but we had the slide rule. Try storing something on that. Most of those tech profs handed out tests when you got to class that you completed on paper they handed out. You could bring a little scratch paper, but that's about all you could bring with you. Slide rule and scratch paper. Scared to try to cheat on chem profs like Sheely and Henley. Most made up new tests each semester. You could look for similarities as some old tests floated around, but generally hard to get. Sounds like much harder to cheat back then, especially with class sizes of 15-30. Profs were in control usually.

RocketDawg
03-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Donation and bribe are two very different things

They were also getting athletic scholarships, for a fee, in sports they'd never even played, and in at least one case the guy at IMG Academy took the SAT for one of the kids. It's not just the two "stars" that are in trouble; it's a wealth of other people, including administrators and coaches.

RocketDawg
03-16-2019, 11:44 AM

That's true for legacy kids too (those whose family attended the university in question). But it's also true for other groups, like females, racial minorities, and athletes to name a few. Those groups keep potentially more qualified kids out of the school too. Many of the top schools ... Ivys, Duke, Stanford, etc. ... don't admit based solely on grades and SAT/ACT scores; outside activites and community service play a strong role (which is probably reasonable).

RocketDawg
03-16-2019, 11:46 AM
The

There was no doubt a lot of things going on in the background there. Had it been a school not nearly as prestigious as UNC, they probably would have lost accreditation.

RocketDawg
03-16-2019, 11:48 AM

I agree on all points.

RocketDawg
03-16-2019, 11:54 AM
I still don't know what is wrong with giving a donation to get your kid into a school you want. Admissions are in a grey area anyway. They can choose who to admit. There is not a clear cut minimum threshold for people. Hell Harvard or Penn State can admit someone that has a 16 on the ACT if they want.

I suppose they could but I'll bet they never have nor ever will. It's absurd that an college would even think about admitting such a student though. You can make that score merely by random guessing.

RougeDawg
03-17-2019, 04:25 PM
I?ll say it again as I?ve said since the day it occurred. He?s done and it has zero, nothing to do with basketball and will not negatively impact anything we win. He is learning from a stupid decision. And he?s not the only athlete involved. The others play sports that are not in season right now.

I hope all of you who bashed me for posting this same stuff weeks ago, learn your lessons as well. I do not post things of this magnitude, that do not come from reliable sources. Same as with Keenum and Loafers/Mullen and Cannizzaro.

maroonmania
03-17-2019, 05:18 PM
I?ll say it again as I?ve said since the day it occurred. He?s done and it has zero, nothing to do with basketball and will not negatively impact anything we win. He is learning from a stupid decision. And he?s not the only athlete involved. The others play sports that are not in season right now.

I hope all of you who bashed me for posting this same stuff weeks ago, learn your lessons as well. I do not post things of this magnitude, that do not come from reliable sources. Same as with Keenum and Loafers/Mullen and Cannizzaro.

Well, given there is only one sport not in season that anyone cares about, how many football players will we be losing since you seem to have all the inside info?

Homedawg
03-17-2019, 07:27 PM
Well, given there is only one sport not in season that anyone cares about, how many football players will we be losing since you seem to have all the inside info?

He's right on this one. And it's coming. Sorry to be the person to second this info. Won't be as severe as nick's due to different circumstances. But jomo isn't getting off free, unfortunately

Cowbell
03-17-2019, 08:19 PM
He's right on this one. And it's coming. Sorry to be the person to second this info. Won't be as severe as nick's due to different circumstances. But jomo isn't getting off free, unfortunately

Can we please elaborate please? Starters?

msstate7
03-17-2019, 08:25 PM

The last sentence pertains to losing a football player and not JoMo specifically, right?

MarketingBully
03-17-2019, 08:43 PM
The last sentence pertains to losing a football player and not JoMo specifically, right?

We’d all know if football was involved as the players wouldn’t be practicing right now. This “multiple sports” bullshit is getting old and unfounded. The football coaches would have been contacted if this had to do with any football players. The football coaches haven’t been contacted in any way. I don’t know why this rumor is continuing to make the rounds.

Homedawg
03-17-2019, 08:51 PM

Correct

Homedawg
03-17-2019, 08:52 PM
We’d all know if football was involved as the players wouldn’t be practicing right now. This “multiple sports” bullshit is getting old and unfounded. The football coaches would have been contacted if this had to do with any football players. The football coaches haven’t been contacted in any way. I don’t know why this rumor is continuing to make the rounds.

Ok. Well bookmark it and you can blame suspensions on drug test or whatever. Thats cool.

Homedawg
03-17-2019, 08:54 PM

Hasn't nick been practicing??? Hmmm or at least he was.

MarketingBully
03-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Hasn't nick been practicing??? Hmmm or at least he was.

This has nothing to do with football.

Homedawg
03-17-2019, 09:07 PM
This has nothing to do with football.

Aight.......

KOdawg1
03-17-2019, 10:06 PM
Aight.......

Dude, just spill it if you know who it is. You say you know something everyone else doesn't but overplay it.

Belegal
03-17-2019, 10:23 PM
I’m just the average Joe wanting accurate info - I wish folks wouldn’t post bs (rougedog) unless they back it up - I don’t know what’s up but come here to try to get accurate info - thanks!

Westdawg
03-17-2019, 11:47 PM

RougeDawg
03-18-2019, 02:00 AM
I highly recommend enjoying the tournament. The rat In our AD who took out Nick is trying to implode
The entire Bryan Building. It?s a shame a SEC Atheltic Department runs such a loose ship. We need smart people in there. It?s obvious that we do not have people capable of running a power 5 conference.

Which goes back to my posts every time. We have to clean house. Compliance et. Al.

Hambone
03-18-2019, 07:19 AM
Homedog is just covering his ass in case nothing comes of this. He has nothing concrete or he’d say it. There was a tutor that has been kicked out of school that has reported that they took multiple tests for multiple student atheletes. The school is investigating this and if what she says is proven, they will suspend the players, HOWEVER if there is a way to explain any of it away, there will be no suspensions and they will be able to say that this tutor was “a pissed off student looking to take everyone down”

starkvegasdawg
03-18-2019, 07:27 AM
Homedog is just covering his ass in case nothing comes of this. He has nothing concrete or he’d say it. There was a tutor that has been kicked out of school that has reported that they took multiple tests for multiple student atheletes. The school is investigating this and if what she says is proven, they will suspend the players, HOWEVER if there is a way to explain any of it away, there will be no suspensions and they will be able to say that this tutor was “a pissed off student looking to take everyone down”

Can't we just send our defensive line over to the tutor's residence and have a friendly conversation where they convince said student of the ills of their ways?

msstate7
03-18-2019, 07:41 AM

Homedawg could certainly be wrong, just like anyone can be. With that said, he's almost always right. His sources are very good bc he's apparently pretty plugged in.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Pay her off and #FreeNick, or announce the suspension/expulsion so It won't be a distraction and we can move on.

A Bracky investigation is unlikely to turn out positive. The guy will probably stumble across some shit to suspend a few more starters for the tourney while digging into Nick. #FreeNickBenchBracky **

confucius say
03-18-2019, 12:29 PM

Why was she (the tutor) kicked out of school? And was she kicked out prior to making these accusations or after?

confucius say
03-18-2019, 12:31 PM
Can't we just send our defensive line over to the tutor's residence and have a friendly conversation where they convince said student of the ills of their ways?

The tutor is female. Which is a problem in itself, but whatever. Desired male athletes should have male tutors, and vice versa

HooverDawg
04-22-2019, 04:59 PM

Lol.

RocketDawg
04-22-2019, 07:11 PM

Why in the world should the school have to take care of athletes' academics? They're supposed to be students, just like all of us are or were at one time. Is the school supposed to look the other way when they violate rules?? Athletes should be treated no better or no worse than any other student.

RocketDawg
04-22-2019, 07:14 PM
I highly recommend enjoying the tournament. The rat In our AD who took out Nick is trying to implode
The entire Bryan Building. It?s a shame a SEC Atheltic Department runs such a loose ship. We need smart people in there. It?s obvious that we do not have people capable of running a power 5 conference.

Which goes back to my posts every time. We have to clean house. Compliance et. Al.

No, we need to have athletes that actually attend class and take their own tests. I find it really hard to believe that anybody thinks any other way. It's a university first and foremost.

RocketDawg
04-22-2019, 07:19 PM
Majored in Chemistry back in the old days. 26 hrs physics, 23hrs math and 70 odd hrs in chem counting labs. We didn't have calculators. Ahh, but we had the slide rule. Try storing something on that. Most of those tech profs handed out tests when you got to class that you completed on paper they handed out. You could bring a little scratch paper, but that's about all you could bring with you. Slide rule and scratch paper. Scared to try to cheat on chem profs like Sheely and Henley. Most made up new tests each semester. You could look for similarities as some old tests floated around, but generally hard to get. Sounds like much harder to cheat back then, especially with class sizes of 15-30. Profs were in control usually.

Most students never even considered cheating, and I never heard of a student being expelled for cheating. One of my freshmen roommates was kicked out for having a 0.0 GPA though. :) I had Sheely for both Chem I and II, and each was an auditorium class with more than 100 students. Physics and math classes were smaller (maybe 30 students), and the more specialized the courses were, the smaller they were. Some of my major courses just had 8 or 10 students.

RocketDawg
04-22-2019, 07:24 PM

Absolutely. And I can't believe that anyone thinks otherwise. They've already lowered the entrance standards that virtually anybody can get in school; let's hope they don't lower the EXIT standards.

I'm sure it's been discussed in this long thread, but I don't consider studying old tests to be cheating. If the professor is lazy enough to give the same tests every year, then he doesn't really need to be employed there.