PDA

View Full Version : 40 D-I Coaches and Aunt Becky Charged by FBI in Cheating probe

BrunswickDawg
03-12-2019, 10:04 AM

KentuckyDawg13
03-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Are the actresses alums of those schools? Weird soap opera...

parabrave
03-12-2019, 10:30 AM
Wait a second there. Parents paying, making "charitable donations", the schools to get their kids accepted there is what this is about? Well since it's not about schools making donations to the parents then Da Bears got nothing to worry about.

smootness
03-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Are the actresses alums of those schools? Weird soap opera...

It's not all a recruiting issue. This was a much larger scheme that also happened to include some recruiting stuff. The actresses paid bribes to get their kids into certain schools.

Jack Lambert
03-12-2019, 10:37 AM
It's not all a recruiting issue. This was a much larger scheme that also happened to include some recruiting stuff. The actresses paid bribes to get their kids into certain schools.

Heres the fox news story about it. The Fed's are going after people for real. I wonder when it is going to hit home here in Mississippi.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/college-entrance-exam-cheating

MedDawg
03-12-2019, 10:48 AM
Heres the fox news story about it. The Fed's are going after people for real. I wonder when it is going to hit home here in Mississippi.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/college-entrance-exam-cheating

This story sums up the involvement of UL-L and OM in ACT fraud
https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2015/10/15/ul-ncaa-probe-who-ginny-crager/73984340/

StarkVegasSteve
03-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Why wouldn't these people just make a large donation to make sure their kids get in? I mean some of these people are high net worth individuals, not like they don't have the funds.

Jack Lambert
03-12-2019, 10:56 AM
This story sums up the involvement of UL-L and OM in ACT fraud
https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2015/10/15/ul-ncaa-probe-who-ginny-crager/73984340/

I forgot about that.

parabrave
03-12-2019, 11:03 AM

They should've gone the Rodney Dangerfield route.

Uncle Ruckus
03-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Have mercy...

sandwolf
03-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Why wouldn't these people just make a large donation to make sure their kids get in? I mean some of these people are high net worth individuals, not like they don't have the funds.

I was wondering the same thing.

Dawg61
03-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Tell that to the more qualified kid that doesn't get in cause his parents aren't loaded.

BuckyIsAB****
03-12-2019, 12:03 PM
Leave Aunt Becky alone

msbulldog
03-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Aunt Becky is a honey or used to be.

The Federalist Engineer
03-12-2019, 12:13 PM

This is a new spin on the Will Hunting quote..."you paid $350,000 in bribes for an education that you could have gotten for $1.50 in late fees from the public library"

https://i2.wp.com/s2.quickmeme.com/img/30/3033bcdb6c85756bc7be322f55ea06581ff26956e66b0766eb c08bba73ae41bd.jpg

Saltydog
03-12-2019, 12:18 PM
I would think it will be very light. These are people with money so other than a bruised ego, a fine and some community service, I doubt there'll be much more.

StarkVegasSteve
03-12-2019, 12:37 PM
I would think it will be very light. These are people with money so other than a bruised ego, a fine and some community service, I doubt there'll be much more.

I wouldn't be so sure. The FBI doesn't screw around with mail fraud.

LC Dawg
03-12-2019, 01:04 PM
Aunt Becky could convince me to let her kid in school in ways other than money.

Jack Lambert
03-12-2019, 01:52 PM

They were not just paying someone at the school. They were paying a third party to bribe people to get better ACT scores and admission officers. That dude is already heading to jail.

StarkVegasSteve
03-12-2019, 02:14 PM
They were not just paying someone at the school. They were paying a third party to bribe people to get better ACT scores and admission officers. That dude is already heading to jail.

Which makes it even stranger. Why not just pay the school directly. If you're going to pay that much at least get a building named after you. Unless it was Sherwood Blount trying to donate to SMU I seriously doubt any of these universities would've had a problem accepting a multi million dollar donation just to make sure someone's kid got accepted.

TStationDawg
03-12-2019, 02:23 PM
New cast members of Orange is the New Black!

Jack Lambert
03-12-2019, 03:13 PM
Which makes it even stranger. Why not just pay the school directly. If you're going to pay that much at least get a building named after you. Unless it was Sherwood Blount trying to donate to SMU I seriously doubt any of these universities would've had a problem accepting a multi million dollar donation just to make sure someone's kid got accepted.

I would imagine the school it self has standards for entry and those kids are probably not even boarder line eligible.

RocketDawg
03-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Wait a second there. Parents paying, making "charitable donations", the schools to get their kids accepted there is what this is about? Well since it's not about schools making donations to the parents then Da Bears got nothing to worry about.

They got nothing to worry about anyway this time around. First, it's not an elite school, and second, it's so easy to get into that there's no need to cheat on entrance exams.

dawgs
03-12-2019, 03:43 PM

Folks donating millions to Yale and Stanford and usc type colleges doesn't get anyone's attention because it's a pretty frequent occurrence. These people bribed coaches to "recruit" their kids for sports the kids didn't even play, but it'd put the kids in a different applicant pool of athletes for admission, which are measured against a lower standard for admissions. They also paid folks to take the SAT for their kids to improve their scores.

Mjoelner34
03-12-2019, 05:34 PM
Aunt Becky could convince me to let her kid in school in ways other than money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOmk_cbHxZk

msbulldog
03-12-2019, 06:44 PM
They got nothing to worry about anyway this time around. First, it's not an elite school, and second, it's so easy to get into that there's no need to cheat on entrance exams.

Well Rocket, they must have felt the need to help football players get in school because they paid Jenny Crager to change ACT tests for some players looking to get in UM!