PDA

View Full Version : Typically not a big SECrant guy, but check out these all time rankings...

CadaverDawg
03-11-2019, 10:31 PM
https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/all-time-sec-big-3-rankings-updated/82454818/

Thought it was an interesting way to look at it. And notice, Ole Miss bringing up the rear overall, haha

Tbonewannabe
03-11-2019, 11:19 PM
It definitely shows the programs with the most consistent success. I didn't realize that Vandy was garbage before Corbin. I knew they weren't great but it doesn't seem like they even made Regionals.

I wonder if they took UMs "National Titles" from Good Housekeeping into consideration for their point totals in football.

Reading some of the comments, UGA fan thought 1 national title in baseball should put them up higher even though they haven't made that many Regionals.

Todd4State
03-12-2019, 12:00 AM
It definitely shows the programs with the most consistent success. I didn't realize that Vandy was garbage before Corbin. I knew they weren't great but it doesn't seem like they even made Regionals.

I wonder if they took UMs "National Titles" from Good Housekeeping into consideration for their point totals in football.

Reading some of the comments, UGA fan thought 1 national title in baseball should put them up higher even though they haven't made that many Regionals.

Interesting to me that he went straight up with AP rankings. I would have at least given some credit for bowls.

Georgia's National Championship just shows their potential and how underutilized their program is. They simply lack the support to be consistently in the National scene. And something for people to think about when they say that fan support and facilities don't mean that much.

Tbonewannabe
03-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Interesting to me that he went straight up with AP rankings. I would have at least given some credit for bowls.

Georgia's National Championship just shows their potential and how underutilized their program is. They simply lack the support to be consistently in the National scene. And something for people to think about when they say that fan support and facilities don't mean that much.

UGA definitely has the advantage in baseball but they just don't use it. Polk probably liked it there because you could field a CWS team within 3 hours of Athens along with the Hope Scholarship. Hell, the Braves could almost staff their single A team from the Atlanta area every year.

drummerdawg
03-12-2019, 09:53 AM
This really isn't a great formula to come up with this list. Needs to add all time wins and win percentage for each sport. I'd also do away with the AP rankings for basketball.

Tbonewannabe
03-12-2019, 10:01 AM
This really isn't a great formula to come up with this list. Needs to add all time wins and win percentage for each sport. I'd also do away with the AP rankings for basketball.

That benefits teams like UM who went 20 years not playing Bama and scheduling cupcakes to pad the wins. AP rankings are kind of subjective and I really haven't paid much attention to the rankings in basketball since we haven't been very good in a while.

I like the overall objective the person was going for but there probably are better metrics you can use now.

BuckyIsAB****
03-12-2019, 12:10 PM
Bowl games shouldve been in the football criteria but other than that I like it

Tbonewannabe
03-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Bowl games shouldve been in the football criteria but other than that I like it

I agree, maybe add Bowl Games. Add 1 point for lower bowls, 2 points for New Years Day level (Outback, Gator, and Texas), 3 points for Playoff type bowl (Sugar, Peach, Cotton, Fiesta, and Orange), 4 points for Playoff game, 5 points for National Title game.

You then have points for actually winning the Title already factored in. So someone making the National Title game would get another 9 points for that year.