PDA

View Full Version : Women's Bracketology update

CadaverDawg
03-11-2019, 07:10 AM
Creme's latest update has us as the 1 seed in Portland with Oregon as the 2.

I don't hate that draw, bc I think we can beat Oregon, but I think it's total bullshit that Oregon gets to play in Portland and have Home court all the way through to the Final 4. That should not be allowed. So basically the committee is saying Oregon gets home court as long as they finish in the top 8 in the country, yet MSU wouldn't have home court even if they were #1 overall? How is that even remotely fair? The rule should be you cannot play in a Region in your home state UNLESS you are a 1 seed. I get the regional stuff for fan support, but it's not right for a 1 seed to play a 2 seed in the 2 seed's home state.

Liverpooldawg
03-11-2019, 07:59 AM
Storrs and Albany are about the same distance apart as Eugene and Portland.

StarkVegasSteve
03-11-2019, 08:16 AM

I don't hate that draw, bc I think we can beat Oregon, but I think it's total bullshit that Oregon gets to play in Portland and have Home court all the way through to the Final 4. That should not be allowed. So basically the committee is saying Oregon gets home court as long as they finish in the top 8 in the country, yet MSU wouldn't have home court even if they were #1 overall? How is that even remotely fair? The rule should be you cannot play in a Region in your home state UNLESS you are a 1 seed. I get the regional stuff for fan support, but it's not right for a 1 seed to play a 2 seed in the 2 seed's home state.

It may not be right, but its like you said for fan support they have to do it. If you don't put a team that's close to Portland in that regional there's no doubt it'd lose the NCAA money. I'm sure Oregon fans would say the same thing if they were a 1 seed and were sent somewhere like New Orleans or Birmingham and we were the 2.

mstatefan91
03-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Women's basketball region sites are still very geared towards blue bloods in the sport.. We are a new-comer and need to strike some kind of deal with Memphis or maybe somewhere in Birmingham.. They will not come to MS until the flag is changed.

MedDawg
03-11-2019, 08:24 AM

When Oregon lost late in the season to bump them down from a #1 seed to a #2 seed, the NCAA took them out of Portland and was sending them somewhere else. In face, that week's bracketology they didn't have #2 Notre Dame in Chicago or #2 UConn in Albany. That shows that the NCAA isn't totally committed to maximum ticket sales and will send #2 seeds away from home.

So if we get #1 seed in Portland it's possible we won't have to play Oregon. Could be Louisville, though, and I'd probably rather play Oregon in Portland than Louisville.

starkvegasdawg
03-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Women's basketball region sites are still very geared towards blue bloods in the sport.. We are a new-comer and need to strike some kind of deal with Memphis or maybe somewhere in Birmingham.. They will not come to MS until the flag is changed.

I thought that rule was only on predetermined sites. If they waited until number ones were announced then it wouldn't be predetermined like baseball regionals.

StarkVegasSteve
03-11-2019, 08:28 AM

Birmingham is the best bet. In Memphis you have to schedule around the Grizzlies and the Forum might be too big for a Women's Regional. Just looking at the arenas they choose, the Forum looks like more of something they'd choose for a Final 4.

Tbonewannabe
03-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Birmingham is the best bet. In Memphis you have to schedule around the Grizzlies and the Forum might be too big for a Women's Regional. Just looking at the arenas they choose, the Forum looks like more of something they'd choose for a Final 4.

Birmingham, Memphis, New Orleans, Nashville, or Atlanta, any of those would be drivable from Starkville. Birmingham or Memphis would be the best unless Tupelo could host it. BancorpSouth is plenty big enough for a Women's Regional but stupid flag prevents it.

I am ready to win a couple of National Titles and get the UConn treatment of always having home games until the Final Four. Has UConn played further away than Albany in the last 20 years?

WSOPdawg
03-11-2019, 09:59 AM
So if we get #1 seed in Portland it's possible we won't have to play Oregon. Could be Louisville, though, and I'd probably rather play Oregon in Portland than Louisville.

Really feel like committee will reward Stanford with #2 in West (Portland) and send Oregon east.

drunkernhelldawg
03-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Hate that draw. Reminds me of what happened to the men's team in Dallas vs. Texas. But we can win this.

However, it's hard to not be concerned about the home fans' effect on both the players and the officials. We must insist on top notch officials if that is our draw. They must be immune to crowd influence. They better tee up the damn crowd if that's what the rules call for. Not an inch can be given in this situation, which is already inherently unfair to us.

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2019, 02:43 PM

Exactly right. Regionals are more 10k size arena. So Nothing available in Memphis. Birmingham gives you Bartow but don't think it's very nice. Bridgestone in Nashville is too big.. holds 20k and will hold Final 4 in 2023 or 24.
Atlanta's State Farm Arena is too big, so only option is Georgia Tech's McCamish Pavilion.

Again there might be reasons why those aren't options. But none of them have ever been brought up. Plus these things are assigned 4-5 years out. You have a south regional in dallas and austin coming up in the next couple years.

*edit* wrong info on 350 miles

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Just was looking Memphis did host once in 2010... back when UT was still a powerhouse. Would have to think they might need to pick it back up for Memphis to be interested. Dunno.. would like to find the attendance for those games.

RocketDawg
03-11-2019, 03:30 PM

It's quite possible that a lot of towns don't even want the women's tournament. The SEC Tournament wasn't well attended (or it looked mostly empty to me), and it costs the city something to host it. It could well be a money-loser ... I don't really have an idea, but until the Elite 8 and Final 4, the audience probably won't be huge like it is for the men.

StarkVegasSteve
03-11-2019, 03:31 PM
Just was looking Memphis did host once in 2010... back when UT was still a powerhouse. Would have to think they might need to pick it back up for Memphis to be interested. Dunno.. would like to find the attendance for those games.

Attendance for 2010 Memphis Regional

S16 (6,577)
E8 (3,263)

For reference the 2 men's regional attendance numbers

S16 (17,103)
E8(17,025)

S16 (17,532)
E8 (16,412)

RocketDawg
03-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Birmingham, Memphis, New Orleans, Nashville, or Atlanta, any of those would be drivable from Starkville. Birmingham or Memphis would be the best unless Tupelo could host it. BancorpSouth is plenty big enough for a Women's Regional but stupid flag prevents it.

I am ready to win a couple of National Titles and get the UConn treatment of always having home games until the Final Four. Has UConn played further away than Albany in the last 20 years?

Huntsville has the von Braun Center that seats about 10,000 for basketball, and no SEC team very close by (Vandy is closest, then State). Plenty of hotel rooms usually, unless there's a big convention in town. At the moment, something like 15 new hotels are under construction or planned, and at least 2 of those are downtown within walking distance of the arena, which will make 4 fairly large ones in the immediate vicinity.

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Attendance for 2010 Memphis Regional

S16 (6,577)
E8 (3,263)

Thanks..., and that's very likely why they are not interested in doing it again. That's with UT as the #1 seed for the regional.
UT lost to Baylor in the first round (sweet 16) and that was it. Noone cared about Baylor vs Duke.