PDA

View Full Version : Maine Thoughts.

Todd4State
03-10-2019, 05:46 PM
We dominated the first two games even though we weren't totally clean and then we won a game where we walked way too many guys and found a way to win. If this was last year I can almost guarantee that we would have lost the Sunday game. People will dwell on the walks for a couple of days because that's what fans do but with Foxhall I don't think it's a going to be a persistent problem based on the other 15 games.

Small and Ginn allowed a combined one earned run the entire weekend. They are as advertised and will give us a shot to win any SEC series this weekend because they can match up with most any other pitcher in the SEC and it will be difficult to beat both in the same weekend. And Keegan is solid. But he's a five-six inning guy and is going to probably give up 2-4 runs a game which is OK for Sunday. We certainly have the bullpen and offense to cover and I think that now that SEC play is starting we will see Small and Ginn go a little longer. I'm still hopeful that Cerentola can take over as the three by the end of the year and I hope that we see him extended against Grambling for another inning or two.

Outside of Colby White and Leibelt the bullpen had a rough weekend. Just too many walks and that needs to get corrected. At the very least I trust White, Gordon, Barlow, and Leibelt so we have something to work with. We need to get Plumlee, Self, Brandon Smith and Eagan back on track. But- basically for most of them they had one bad game and it could be an anomaly. Probably good that it happened before we play Florida.

Skelton is second on the team in home runs and had a big weekend this weekend. He and Foscue dropped more bombs on Maine than the Spanish allegedly did. He's hitting a decent .255 but is holding his own and showing why he should start. Probably our most improved player in the pre-SEC season.

Tanner Allen is really struggling at the plate and right after Westburg hits his first home run he tweaks a hamstring. Halter filled in and has done well though and is hitting a solid .289. Foscue has exceeded my expectations and is still launching bombs. Landon Jordan is looking better and better every week too at the plate and at second base. Really need to get Westburg back ASAP and I think he will be back soon. Westburg had a tough game making two errors but all in all we made three the entire weekend and a reason why we won today was because we made zero.

Mangum and MacNamee are playing like seniors and Mangum got the go ahead hit and MacNamee drove in what would be the winning run. I like how that inning and game we showed our offensive balance by getting two drag bunts that resulted in hits and then we cashed in with our seniors. On top of that to further illustrate our offensive balance- Foscue and Skelton had bombs. And to further illustrate our balance on offense- we had 12 stolen bases this weekend including six today. May have been the scouting report saying that their catcher is bad but it shows that our coaches can take advantage of weaknesses of our opponents. We now have 27 stolen bases on the year after having 34 all of last year including the postseason. Rowdey has been struggling still and probably needs to sit. I want to see what Cumbest can do.

This week we get Grambling and we get to see Cerentola go again and then we get Florida on the road. It will be tough because while Florida has lost some games this year- most have been midweek and unless they have a pitching injury I am unaware of we aren't going to be facing their midweek guys. They have a good weekend series win over Miami and Winthrop is a decent mid major usually. As usual I am expecting a pretty intense weekend series when we play them. Hopefully we get off to a great start in SEC play.

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Does the offense concern you at all? 1 HR for Mac? None for Jake and Allen and Rowdey off to rough starts? Not trying to nitpick I love this team and they find a way Im just asking bc you are a knowledgeable baseball guy

Todd4State
03-10-2019, 05:59 PM
No. And here's why:

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2019/SEC%20Baseball%20Overall%20Stats.pdf

And take into consideration that we have played a more difficult schedule than a lot of people- USM was maybe the biggest series that weekend in the country and they are good/decent, Texas Tech, Sam Houston State, East Carolina, and UAB threw a guy that should be their ace against us.

I know those stats don't include today but scoring 9 runs didn't hurt us and probably makes those that I linked slightly worse than we actually are. We're also 12th in the league in strike outs which is a good thing despite our OBP being relatively low. That tells me that we have been sort of unlucky. We have four starters and six regulars hitting over .300. Halter is hitting .289. Skelton is hitting .255 and is second in home runs and that is acceptable from a catcher. Really just need to get Allen and Rowdey going somehow and need to get Westburg back at 100%.

Also- remember last year Gautreau didn't really get us going until week four in SEC play. I expect us to improve as the year goes along.

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2019, 06:03 PM
No. And here's why:

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2019/SEC%20Baseball%20Overall%20Stats.pdf

And take into consideration that we have played a more difficult schedule than a lot of people- USM was maybe the biggest series that weekend in the country and they are good/decent, Texas Tech, Sam Houston State, East Carolina, and UAB threw a guy that should be their ace against us.

I know those stats don't include today but scoring 9 runs didn't hurt us and probably makes those that I linked slightly worse than we actually are. We're also 12th in the league in strike outs which is a good thing despite our OBP being relatively low. That tells me that we have been sort of unlucky. We have four starters and six regulars hitting over .300. Halter is hitting .289. Skelton is hitting .255 and is second in home runs and that is acceptable from a catcher. Really just need to get Allen and Rowdey going somehow and need to get Westburg back at 100%.

Also- remember last year Gautreau didn't really get us going until week four in SEC play. I expect us to improve as the year goes along.

Good points. Almost last in walks though is that an approach thing or something we should fix

MarketingBully
03-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Maine also played a 1 run game at Florida State. FSU blew them out but still had a 1 run game against them 6-5. I think when it’s all said and done Maine and Youngstown State won’t be as terrible as their records show right now.

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Maine also played a 1 run game at Florida State. FSU blew them out but still had a 1 run game against them 6-5. I think when it’s all said and done Maine and Youngstown State won’t be as terrible as their records show right now.

Maine impressed me man those kids were tough and knew how to hit

Todd4State
03-10-2019, 07:14 PM
Good points. Almost last in walks though is that an approach thing or something we should fix

The thing to look for there is K/BB ratio and ours is not terrible as a team. We swing the bats and put the ball into play in general which is usually a good thing.

HoopsDawg
03-10-2019, 08:26 PM

YSU and Maine are a combined 0-26.

MarketingBully
03-10-2019, 09:08 PM
YSU and Maine are a combined 0-26.

Neither of those two teams have played a single home game.

Todd4State
03-10-2019, 09:28 PM
Here's the thing about hitting and offense. Now and forevermore pitchers will always have the advantage over hitters. The statistics bear that out. You're really good if you get a hit 30% of the time and you get on base 40% of the time. Meaning that in general against good players pitchers will get them out in general 60% of the time and they won't allow a hit 70% of the time.

Something to keep in mind when people call our offense inconsistent or worrisome in general.

Just a public service reminder.

Todd4State
03-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Neither of those two teams have played a single home game.

And we beat them six times- five times pretty easily. With today being the only time it was competitive. I don't think Youngstown State is good from watching them in person. Maine may be good for their league but they probably aren't that good nationally speaking and are going to have to win their conference tournament to get a bid anyway.