PDA

View Full Version : Ranked in Top 10 in Another Pre-season CFB Poll

ShotgunDawg
03-08-2019, 01:17 PM
Are we starting to get the Notre Dame, Tennessee, Texas treatment?

Seriously, what's going on here? This has never happened in my life time where I think we're worse than the media

msstate7
03-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Based off expected s&p+. Hopefully this metric is correct

Todd4State
03-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Maybe we're not as bad as we think we are.

ScoobaDawg
03-08-2019, 01:30 PM
I think they mixed up and ran our roster for 2018 instead.

ShotgunDawg
03-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Maybe we're not as bad as we think we are.

We're like the Tampa Bay Rays this year. You look at our roster & can't figure it out, but you plug the roster into a computer program & it spits out 84 wins.

I haven't the slightest clue how the computers have strong data on how good KT is.

msstate7
03-08-2019, 01:40 PM
We're like the Tampa Bay Rays this year. You look at our roster & can't figure it out, but you plug the roster into a computer program & it spits out 84 wins.

I haven't the slightest clue how the computers have strong data on how good KT is.

Key can be deceiving to the metric. He played in 9 games and had a passer rating of 190.44. That would be good for 3rd in the country if he qualified. Not sure the computer realizes how skewed that SSS is

ShotgunDawg
03-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Key can be deceiving to the metric. He played in 9 games and had a passer rating of 190.44. That would be good for 3rd in the country if he qualified. Not sure the computer realizes how skewed that SSS is

Agree, but the problem with that theory is that these are smart people that are making these algorithms, & not knowing how to handle a QB like KT would be "Not smart"

StarkVegasSteve
03-08-2019, 01:44 PM
I just can't understand what they're seeing that we're all missing......is it Key's skewed stats? Is it the media's love of Moorhead? Do we have secret players that we don't know about?

BrunswickDawg
03-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Seriously, what's going on here? This has never happened in my life time where I think we're worse than the media

https://twitter.com/CFBHome/status/1103863501427171329

Because, believe it or not, the season wasn't the disaster that a lot of people portray it to have been, and we have spent 10 years building a program the right way (the season WAS disappointing).
If you look at it from the outside, we have a lot of major pieces being replaced by equal or greater talent on paper -

Yes, we lose major talent on defense - but get to fill 2 of the 3 spots with proven ability in Chauncey Rivers (a .933 4* as a HS Sr.) and Brian Cole (a .964 4* as a HS Sr).
Our recruiting the past 2-3 years has us with quality depth on the rest of the defense as well.

On offense we lose a QB (who was limited in passing) and replace him with a high recruited 4* with experience (who is actually a QB, not an RB) so people expect little drop off with a favorable early schedule. We appear to have OL depth and experience that should allow us to plug in for Jenkins and Calhoun. Our receivers can't get worse.

Our schedule sets up pretty well with 3 OOC wins, KY at home having lost a ton, AU with question marks, and at UT (also lots of question marks). LSU will be tough, but they haven't played well in Starkville their last 2 visits. We have had A&M (3 in a row) and Arky's (6 of 7) number for the last few years - regardless of location. Bama is Bama. Then a team no one knows, and a depleted OM. There is a pathway to a big season with that schedule - if the offense takes a step forward and the defense doesn't take too big of a step back.

msstate7
03-08-2019, 01:49 PM
Agree, but the problem with that theory is that these are smart people that are making these algorithms, & not knowing how to handle a QB like KT would be "Not smart"

I love these advanced metrics, but you have to take em with a grain of salt too though. Here's some of the final 2018 rankings...

1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Clemson
7. Auburn
8. State
12. Mizzou
25. Kentucky

Tbonewannabe
03-08-2019, 01:52 PM
I love these advanced metrics, but you have to take em with a grain of salt too though. Here's some of the final 2018 rankings...

1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Clemson
7. Auburn
8. State
12. Mizzou
25. Kentucky

I guess it liked us because other than UF who ended up as a top ten team, we only lost on the road to top 25 teams. There aren't many teams that actually win those type of match ups.

msstate7
03-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Because, believe it or not, the season wasn't the disaster that a lot of people portray it to have been, and we have spent 10 years building a program the right way (the season WAS disappointing).
If you look at it from the outside, we have a lot of major pieces being replaced by equal or greater talent on paper -

Yes, we lose major talent on defense - but get to fill 2 of the 3 spots with proven ability in Chauncey Rivers (a .933 4* as a HS Sr.) and Brian Cole (a .964 4* as a HS Sr).
Our recruiting the past 2-3 years has us with quality depth on the rest of the defense as well.

On offense we lose a QB (who was limited in passing) and replace him with a high recruited 4* with experience (who is actually a QB, not an RB) so people expect little drop off with a favorable early schedule. We appear to have OL depth and experience that should allow us to plug in for Jenkins and Calhoun. Our receivers can't get worse.

Our schedule sets up pretty well with 3 OOC wins, KY at home having lost a ton, AU with question marks, and at UT (also lots of question marks). LSU will be tough, but they haven't played well in Starkville their last 2 visits. We have had A&M (3 in a row) and Arky's (6 of 7) number for the last few years - regardless of location. Bama is Bama. Then a team no one knows, and a depleted OM. There is a pathway to a big season with that schedule - if the offense takes a step forward and the defense doesn't take too big of a step back.

Our schedule sets up good?
At auburn, aTm, tenn
Home: Kentucky

Those are our swing games. We ain't beating LSU or Bama, period... rather they were road games

msstate7
03-08-2019, 01:53 PM
I guess it liked us because other than UF who ended up as a top ten team, we only lost on the road to top 25 teams. There aren't many teams that actually win those type of match ups.

We were ranked higher than Florida, Iowa, and Kentucky

Tbonewannabe
03-08-2019, 02:05 PM
We were ranked higher than Florida, Iowa, and Kentucky

And all of those were proven to be really good teams. It is kind of like under Mullen when we won a top 25 game and they ended up not ranked. Well we were higher than those teams but UF ended up #7, UK around #12, and Iowa #25. Now Iowa is the only one who didn't end up higher than our team was ever ranked and it ended up being around a coin flip or Guidry actually catching a pass away from a Win.

QuadrupleOption
03-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Our schedule sets up good...
At auburn, aTm, tenn

Those are our swing games. We ain't beating LSU or Bama, period... rather they were road games

We can beat LSU. They don't intimidate our team any more. I agree on Bama. I think playing at Tenn will be a challenge unless they suck and their fans don't show up. Auburn is always a tough game at their place, it'll be hard to win. We've had A&M's number since Manzel graduated, but they'll have have the same QB for two years in a row (a new record I think) so that'll be a tough one too.

Should be an interesting year. One I'm grateful for as a long-time fan is the fact that we have a fighting chance in every single game this year. Doesn't mean we'll win them all but we'll have a legitimate shot in all of them.

msstate7
03-08-2019, 02:13 PM
And all of those were proven to be really good teams. It is kind of like under Mullen when we won a top 25 game and they ended up not ranked. Well we were higher than those teams but UF ended up #7, UK around #12, and Iowa #25. Now Iowa is the only one who didn't end up higher than our team was ever ranked and it ended up being around a coin flip or Guidry actually catching a pass away from a Win.
I'm not saying they're bad teams. I questioning the validity of this metric when Kentucky is ranked behind 5 teams they beat (Florida, us, penn st, mizzou, and South Carolina). S&P+ seems to really value teams with explosive plays or something... auburn jumped a lot for winning their bowl. Kentucky didn't create many explosive plays and seemed to punished for it.

fishwater99
03-08-2019, 02:23 PM
How is Tenn ranked?

Covercorner2
03-08-2019, 02:23 PM
We should be good again on defense, potentially really good. Can't be any worse on offense. Easier schedule than last year. Coach is in his second year as opposed to first.

BrunswickDawg
03-08-2019, 02:48 PM
At auburn, aTm, tenn

I'm not necessarily taking the view of what I wrote - I'm trying to look at it from an outside perspective. Would I rather have Auburn at home? Yes. But, as an outsider, AU having questions marks can look like a potential steal for MSU on the road.

MadDawg
03-08-2019, 02:49 PM
"Another"? Have there been others?

chef dixon
03-08-2019, 03:52 PM
We need 2 things to have a big time season:

1. KT to take this team by the balls
2. Defensive line to grow up fast

Jack Lambert
03-08-2019, 06:19 PM
I just can't understand what they're seeing that we're all missing......is it Key's skewed stats? Is it the media's love of Moorhead? Do we have secret players that we don't know about?

They are not Miss State fans and have witness or gone through what we have over the years. However our Defense is going to be real good. I suspect we will have another good year for the draft. Rivers is going to be a beast. Our D line went two to three deep and we are getting all three of our LB's back.

Jack Lambert
03-08-2019, 06:20 PM
We need 2 things to have a big time season:

2. Defensive line to grow up fast

Really? There were times when our second and third teams was in on key downs.

chef dixon
03-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Really? There were times when our second and third teams was in on key downs.

Did not say they could not play, but we are going to have growing pains.

We lost Simmons, Sweat, Green, C Thomas, Hoyett, Grant Harris and Tre Brown. All of those guys played meaningful downs.

Jack Lambert
03-08-2019, 06:51 PM
Did not say they could not play, but we are going to have growing pains.

We lost Simmons, Sweat, Green, C Thomas, Hoyett, Grant Harris and Tre Brown. All of those guys played meaningful downs.

There isn't going to be any growing pains for the starting front seven. Those guys all have a lot and I mean a lot of playing time in all four quarters in every game. Now the new guys on the team will need it.

TUSK
03-08-2019, 07:05 PM
Media is propping up Bammer?s schedule.

REC doin werk.*

RocketDawg
03-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Media is propping up Bammer?s schedule.

REC doin werk.*

Probably a lot of truth in that. **

Percho
03-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Confused with OM again.

I guess.*

chef dixon
03-08-2019, 07:37 PM
There isn't going to be any growing pains for the starting front seven. Those guys all have a lot and I mean a lot of playing time in all four quarters in every game. Now the new guys on the team will need it.

I hope you're right, but we aren't really returning any experience at DT. Lee Autry and a bunch of new blood. I do think we will be fine at DE.

Martianlander
03-08-2019, 08:59 PM

Makes you mad doesn't it. They always rank us too low.****

BuckyIsAB****
03-08-2019, 10:34 PM

Yall crack me up. Nothing is good enough for some of you

MetEdDawg
03-08-2019, 10:50 PM
Maybe it's time we start acting like a fan base that belongs in the big conversations instead of one that continues to poke holes in why people shouldn't believe we are actually a legitimate team.

We ask for people to respect us, but when that respect doesn't meet our own personal low expectations, we undercut ourselves. Time to change folks.

Todd4State
03-08-2019, 10:54 PM

Or again- maybe he's not as bad as you think. Dwelling on one stat like completion percentage is Will James level faulty. This is the same guy that outplayed Lamar Jackson and set a school record for TD's responsible for in his one start this year. Key also had almost 1/3 of our TD passes last year basically in one game (6 of our 22). I think he will run our offense a lot better than Nick did even if he isn't as talented because I highly doubt he will run the ball 49% of the time like Nick did.

Todd4State
03-08-2019, 10:58 PM

I don't think this is all about KT though. We return our top RB and all of our leading receivers and three o-line starters. Defense will likely take a step back but could still very well be top 15-20. Rivers and Kobe are solid and we return all of our LB's and two of our top 3 CB's- both were highly rated analytically. Our punter plus returning our kicker should improve special teams. That doesn't sound like a 6-6 team to me on paper.

msstate7
03-08-2019, 11:07 PM
Or again- maybe he's not as bad as you think. Dwelling on one stat like completion percentage is Will James level faulty. This is the same guy that outplayed Lamar Jackson and set a school record for TD's responsible for in his one start this year. Key also had almost 1/3 of our TD passes last year basically in one game (6 of our 22). I think he will run our offense a lot better than Nick did even if he isn't as talented because I highly doubt he will run the ball 49% of the time like Nick did.

When have I ever dwelled on comp % as a go to on QB evaluation? Please show me 1 post. You can't.

Key didn't play against Lamar. Key played against Louisville's defense and Lamar played against state's defense. You really trying to say key is better than Lamar? Really. That said, Lamar did a good job in that game... running Mullen's offense.

Todd4State
03-08-2019, 11:07 PM

You're spot on. People are upset at having a season that would have finished without a doubt in the top five of Dan's career and debatably as high as three depending on how much you value winning the Egg Bowl. Joe had a better year one than Kirby Smart and Nick Saban. The thing about Auburn is I don't what they will be this year? If they are 2-2 when we play them I think we win. If they are 4-0 I think we lose. 3-1 we probably lose. I think Tennessee will be improved and will have us circled on the calendar like UK did last year. A&M should have losses to Clemson and Bama by the time we play them but there is no telling how that will play with their psyche. I expect all of our road games to be tough- fortunately we only have four.

Joe may or may not work out- but it's too soon to know. But too many fans have decided that they don't like him so there's not really much he can do to change that at this point unfortunately.

Maybe it's time we start acting like a fan base that belongs in the big conversations instead of one that continues to poke holes in why people shouldn't believe we are actually a legitimate team.

We ask for people to respect us, but when that respect doesn't meet our own personal low expectations, we undercut ourselves. Time to change folks.

Exactly. I've never seen a fan base that puts it's own team down like this. All because we couldn't beat four top 20 teams in year one.

Todd4State
03-08-2019, 11:14 PM
When have I ever dwelled on comp % as a go to on QB evaluation? Please show me 1 post. You can't.

Key didn't play against Lamar. Key played against Louisville's defense and Lamar played against state's defense. You really trying to say key is better than Lamar? Really. That said, Lamar did a good job in that game... running Mullen's offense.

That was just an example in general and not really talking about that specific post. The specific stat you are cherry picking is QB rating- when you know full well that is a small component of S&P. I have seen plenty of posters "But Key only completed 49% of his passes!" Maybe not you- but plenty of others.

I'm saying that Key outplayed Lamar that day against a quality ACC team that routinely plays SEC teams every year and was a consistent 8 game winner at that point and had beaten Florida State that year. You think that's an indicator of a poor QB? Really?

msstate7
03-08-2019, 11:15 PM

I find this funny... when several here (myself) included were saying we are severely underperforming, the same ones defending this preposterous preseason ranking were saying we really aren't that good. Now when the ones saying we underperformed are saying this ranking is too high, the ones saying we weren't that talented this season are saying we are gonna be really good next season after losing a boat load of talent

msstate7
03-08-2019, 11:18 PM
That was just an example in general and not really talking about that specific post. The specific stat you are cherry picking is QB rating- when you know full well that is a small component of S&P. I have seen plenty of posters "But Key only completed 49% of his passes!" Maybe not you- but plenty of others.

I'm saying that Key outplayed Lamar that day against a quality ACC team that routinely plays SEC teams every year and was a consistent 8 game winner at that point and had beaten Florida State that year. You think that's an indicator of a poor QB? Really?

If Mullen used the old player creation option on ncaa football, his ideal QB would look much like key. I'm not saying key won't succeed in Moorhead's offense, but he's a much better fit for a Mullen offense. Again, I'm not saying key will succeed or fail... too early to say

Todd4State
03-08-2019, 11:25 PM
I find this funny... when several here (myself) included were saying we are severely underperforming, the same ones defending this preposterous preseason ranking were saying we really aren't that good. Now when the ones saying we underperformed are saying this ranking is too high, the ones saying we weren't that talented this season are saying we are gonna be really good next season after losing a boat load of talent

We were very talented on defense. No one is saying they underperformed. The biggest thing about last year is UK was way better than anyone realized at this time of the year. Fitz was always a question mark as were the receivers. We all hoped that those two things would be improved but Fitz didn't improve and the receivers only marginally improved. Those of us with sense realize that those things happen sometimes and that's not necessarily totally on the coaching staff. We also had issues at LT against elite pass rushers.

I think we will be improved in all three areas.

1. Key again- I think will run the offense better than Nick even though he doesn't have the raw talent that Nick had.

2. The receivers should be better. And I think Key has a better rapport with Austin Williams and Whop which will make a big difference.

3. Eiland will probably play RT this year. Whether it's Phillips, Cross, or even Dolla Bill- either one of the three will be a better fit and should upgrade that spot.

4. Again- I doubt that Key will keep the ball 49% of the time. That means more touches for Kylin and Gibson. And again that will improve the offense because we won't be as predictable or have a QB making the wrong reads as much.

MetEdDawg
03-08-2019, 11:30 PM

I never said anything about us being good. But we sabotage on the regular as a fan base. And I gave Moorhead the benefit of the doubt because of how much he changed. I think we are talented. The unknown is Key. But I think our defense will still be very good and the offense will be improved. We have to start acting like we belong no matter what we think.

Todd4State
03-08-2019, 11:31 PM
If Mullen used the old player creation option on ncaa football, his ideal QB would look much like key. I'm not saying key won't succeed in Moorhead's offense, but he's a much better fit for a Mullen offense. Again, I'm not saying key will succeed or fail... too early to say

I think he fits Joe's offense better than Nick did. Which is all that matters for us at this point. I don't think Nick had the football IQ to run very many offenses- he actually put up similar numbers in 2017. What we need is someone that won't force balls, throw balls into triple coverage while completely ignoring wide open receivers, throw screen passes at 100 MPH, and be OK with handing the ball off.

At any rate Key puts a lot more air on his deep throws, has better touch on his passes, has shown that he typically doesn't turn the ball over a lot, and can run effectively enough to utilize being a dual threat QB.

BuckyIsAB****
03-09-2019, 12:22 AM
We need another weapon on offense that teams have to respect other than Kylin...I think that guy is Spivey and Deddrick Thomas. Thomas can beat man coverage, which is what we are going to get and Spivey is a NFL guy. Kid is a freak

Todd4State
03-09-2019, 12:33 AM
We need another weapon on offense that teams have to respect other than Kylin...I think that guy is Spivey and Deddrick Thomas. Thomas can beat man coverage, which is what we are going to get and Spivey is a NFL guy. Kid is a freak

I agree. But I think as far as this year it may be Guidry. I really like Dontae Jones at TE too.

chef dixon
03-09-2019, 12:44 AM
What has Thomas done in 3 years to make you guys think he is going to be a serious playmaker?

Todd4State
03-09-2019, 03:44 AM
What has Thomas done in 3 years to make you guys think he is going to be a serious playmaker?

He is a very consistent receiver. Scored a TD in the Egg Bowl and in 2017 against LSU, and I believe he caught the game winner against Arkansas. He's not Eric Moulds or Fred Ross but he has had a nice career for us.

msstate7
03-09-2019, 07:26 AM
Is mixon staying or going?

Cowbell
03-09-2019, 07:39 AM
I can take our defense backing up a bit and in return getting a more improved offense...

Also, I think people are forgetting about Whop. Key to Whop will be one of the storylines of the year.

fader2103
03-09-2019, 07:58 AM
They are thinking MSST is Ole Miss*** with their excellent recruiting class

Todd4State
03-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Is mixon staying or going?

Leaving. Probably UAB.

I can take our defense backing up a bit and in return getting a more improved offense...

Also, I think people are forgetting about Whop. Key to Whop will be one of the storylines of the year.

I agree. But I will also add that I think our special teams will be better as well because we will improve at punter. Which will improve our field position and help both the offense and defense out some.

BuckyIsAB****
03-09-2019, 09:03 PM

The defense wont drop as far as some on here want to think. We are losing experienced talent but we are reloading. We will be ok at DT we have some talent and depth its just not a lot of it is proven.

The offense cant be much worse. Another year in the system should help KT improve.

BuckyIsAB****
03-09-2019, 09:04 PM

He can beat man coverage we dont have a lot of that. I love Williams but he couldnt do that much last year

BuckyIsAB****
03-09-2019, 09:05 PM
I agree. But I think as far as this year it may be Guidry. I really like Dontae Jones at TE too.

Guidry looks the part but hasnt produced. Spivey and Cumbest may be our 2 TEs this year. Both have some dawg in them and want the rock

Todd4State
03-09-2019, 09:21 PM
The defense wont drop as far as some on here want to think. We are losing experienced talent but we are reloading. We will be ok at DT we have some talent and depth its just not a lot of it is proven.

The offense cant be much worse. Another year in the system should help KT improve.

I agree. The reason why Lovett and Crumedy didn't play a lot was not because they aren't talented. It's because we had a lot of good players in front of them. Sure, we don't have a Simmons but we can still be serviceable.

He can beat man coverage we dont have a lot of that. I love Williams but he couldnt do that much last year

I think Williams will be better with Key at QB. We'll see. I do agree about Thomas though.

Guidry looks the part but hasnt produced. Spivey and Cumbest may be our 2 TEs this year. Both have some dawg in them and want the rock

Guidry was inconsistent. His play against Texas A&M may very well have been the play of the year for us and he made some spectacular catches from time to time- unfortunately a couple were out of bounds. He also had that really bad drop that was intercepted by Iowa too. Not really much different than Osirus except that I would say that Guidry on the whole was probably a little more consistent overall but Osirus improved the most as the year went along.

bulldawg28
03-10-2019, 07:39 AM
At auburn, aTm, tenn

What makes you think we can't beat LSU? They're terrible on offense. Fitz gave them the game last year.

Jarius
03-10-2019, 07:54 AM
Some of you need to look at our schedule. We can win 8 games with mediocre qb play. We have way more talent than all 4 nonconference opponents, Arkansas, and Ole Miss. we play at an awful Tennessee team and a Kentucky team that loses its entire defense and Benny Snell at home. That is 8 games we should win. Then we play A&M on the road, which will be a tossup. We play LSU at home, which will also be a tossup. They still do not have a quarterback and it is in Davis Wade. We play Auburn on the road, and who knows what they will be like. Alabama is a loss.

msstate7
03-10-2019, 07:57 AM
What makes you think we can't beat LSU? They're terrible on offense. Fitz gave them the game last year.

They were better than us offensively using traditional and advanced metrics. They return 7 of 8 top receivers, qb, and they're adding the 2nd best RB in the 2019 class.

msstate7
03-10-2019, 07:58 AM
Some of you need to look at our schedule. We can win 8 games with mediocre qb play. We have way more talent than all 4 nonconference opponents, Arkansas, and Ole Miss. we play at an awful Tennessee team and a Kentucky team that loses its entire defense and Benny Snell at home. That is 8 games we should win. Then we play A&M on the road, which will be a tossup. We play LSU at home, which will also be a tossup. They still do not have a quarterback and it is in Davis Wade. We play Auburn on the road, and who knows what they will be like. Alabama is a loss.

If we don't win 8, should Moorhead be fired?

Jarius
03-10-2019, 08:05 AM
If we don't win 8, should Moorhead be fired?

No, but not because he does not deserve to be. He should not be fired because the optics would be awful and we will have an extremely difficult time hiring any of our top choices (unless he completely bottoms out and wins 4 or 5 games). The talent and schedule set us up for 8 wins this year.

msstate7
03-10-2019, 08:11 AM
No, but not because he does not deserve to be. He should not be fired because the optics would be awful and we will have an extremely difficult time hiring any of our top choices (unless he completely bottoms out and wins 4 or 5 games). The talent and schedule set us up for 8 wins this year.

I'm as hard on Moorhead as anyone, but holding him to 8 wins this is year is tough. 6-7 wins and maybe a bowl win to get 7-8 is how I see it. Kentucky does lose some real production on that defense, but they really had Moorhead's offense figured out (us and penn st this year). Tenn will not be an easy game this year at neyland.

bulldawg28
03-10-2019, 08:29 AM
They were better than us offensively using traditional and advanced metrics. They return 7 of 8 top receivers, qb, and they're adding the 2nd best RB in the 2019 class.

Not impressed with what that tandem did last year. They were below average. I'm definitely not worried with an unproven true Freshman RB.

Jarius
03-10-2019, 08:48 AM
I'm as hard on Moorhead as anyone, but holding him to 8 wins this is year is tough. 6-7 wins and maybe a bowl win to get 7-8 is how I see it. Kentucky does lose some real production on that defense, but they really had Moorhead's offense figured out (us and penn st this year). Tenn will not be an easy game this year at neyland.

Kentucky had a defensive end that single handedly disrupted every play and we kept having penalties to get behind the chains. They do not recruit well enough to sustain losing that much talent and their offense is no better than ours after you take out Snell. If we lose to them at home we will have serious trouble making a bowl game this year. Tennessee has been trash for nearly 15 years now. If we lose to either of those teams we are in trouble.

BrunswickDawg
03-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Just to throw more gas on the fire.....

Brett McMurphy has us at #19 in his "too early" rankings https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-preseason-Top-25-rankings-2019-Brett-McMurphy-129777059/

I think we may have crossed the Rubicon - and have many people believing we have enough of a base built to be continually in the conversation as a Top 25 team. This is a good thing.

msstate7
03-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Kentucky had a defensive end that single handedly disrupted every play and we kept having penalties to get behind the chains. They do not recruit well enough to sustain losing that much talent and their offense is no better than ours after you take out Snell. If we lose to them at home we will have serious trouble making a bowl game this year. Tennessee has been trash for nearly 15 years now. If we lose to either of those teams we are in trouble.

15 years seems a stretch. They went 9-4 in 2015 and 2016. They're recruiting avg over the last 4 years is 16th, so they have talent. Guarantano started showing the potential last year that made him the #1 dual QB out of HS.

Jarius
03-10-2019, 09:04 AM
They went 9-4 in the weakest division the SEC has seen in decades. They are not any good. They just went 5-7 and lost to a vandy. They have had 8 losing seasons in the past 14 years. If we lose to Tennessee we completely suck and Moorhead will be fighting to keep his job this year because if he can lose to Tennessee he can also lose to Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. They all suck and we have no business losing to any of them this year. I am not saying we will not, because Moorhead proved last year how much less he can do with moore.

msstate7
03-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Just to throw more gas on the fire.....

Brett McMurphy has us at #19 in his "too early" rankings https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-preseason-Top-25-rankings-2019-Brett-McMurphy-129777059/

I think we may have crossed the Rubicon - and have many people believing we have enough of a base built to be continually in the conversation as a Top 25 team. This is a good thing.

He got 1 thing right, Georgia over Bama. Georgia gonna win it all this year

msstate7
03-10-2019, 09:08 AM
because Moorhead proved last year how much less he can do with moore.

Exactly.

Political Hack
03-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Ridiculous.

BrunswickDawg
03-10-2019, 09:52 AM

Nope. Kirby gonna Kirby and run some dumbass trick play that fails and costs them again.

bulldawg28
03-10-2019, 09:54 AM

Florida is beating GA this year. Contrary to many beliefs Georgia is not bama and lost too much talent from last year's team.

msstate7
03-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Nope. Kirby gonna Kirby and run some dumbass trick play that fails and costs them again.

Haha, maybe... I think Kirby gets over the hump this season though.

msstate7
03-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Florida is beating GA this year. Contrary to many beliefs Georgia is not bama and lost too much talent from last year's team.

I think Florida is gonna be damn good, but Georgia will be led by top 10 nfl pick this season. Mullen may get em next year though

bulldawg28
03-10-2019, 11:10 AM
I think Florida is gonna be damn good, but Georgia will be led by top 10 nfl pick this season. Mullen may get em next year though

Who are these top10 picks? They lost a ton load of talent due to graduation and early draft declarations.

msstate7
03-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Who are these top10 picks? They lost a ton load of talent due to graduation and early draft declarations.

Fromm

Quaoarsking
03-10-2019, 11:49 AM
15 years seems a stretch. They went 9-4 in 2015 and 2016. They're recruiting avg over the last 4 years is 16th, so they have talent. Guarantano started showing the potential last year that made him the #1 dual QB out of HS.

Is "no they were kinda good under Butch Jones" really a good rebuttal to the idea that Tennessee is a bad football program, not one of the 10 best in the SEC?

msstate7
03-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Is "no they were kinda good under Butch Jones" really a good rebuttal to the idea that Tennessee is a bad football program, not one of the 10 best in the SEC?

I guess we'll see how it plays out... hopefully you guys are right and we walk in to neyland and smoke em

bulldawg28
03-10-2019, 12:26 PM
Fromm

1 guy beats an entire team?

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2019, 05:44 PM
6-6 is the bare minimum and would be a disappointment. We could win 8 and not beat anyone who is legit. 4 non conf, UK, Arky, OM, and UT

Todd4State
03-10-2019, 05:52 PM
6-6 is the bare minimum and would be a disappointment. We could win 8 and not beat anyone who is legit. 4 non conf, UK, Arky, OM, and UT

If McMurphy is right and I don't consider him to be the end all be all on football by any means- we would finish 9-3 assuming we avoid being upset. I think everyone would take that.

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2019, 05:54 PM
If McMurphy is right and I don't consider him to be the end all be all on football by any means- we would finish 9-3 assuming we avoid being upset. I think everyone would take that.

Definitely. They are imbalanced if they wouldnt take 9-3 with a shot at 10 in the SECW

TUSK
03-10-2019, 08:58 PM

Again, this year???*

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2019, 10:05 PM
Again, this year???*

They are gonna clip yall they should have twice Kirby is learning I think

TUSK
03-10-2019, 11:02 PM
They are gonna clip yall they should have twice Kirby is learning I think

I'd take that bet.

Jarius
03-11-2019, 02:29 AM

I could see us having a we believe kind of year where our record is pretty good but our team is fools gold.

bulldawg28
03-11-2019, 08:48 AM
I'd take that bet.

Me too. Kirby is overrated.

Tbonewannabe
03-11-2019, 09:33 AM
Me too. Kirby is overrated.

You think Kirby just lucked out getting Fromm to perform? Kirby isn't exactly on Saban or Debo's level but he has moved UGA from consistent bowl team to consistently on the cusp of a National Title. He does have a lot to work with there but so does Texas and Herman just now has them being competitive.

Kirby is Saban's most successful coaching tree Head Coach.

msstate7
03-11-2019, 09:46 AM
You think Kirby just lucked out getting Fromm to perform? Kirby isn't exactly on Saban or Debo's level but he has moved UGA from consistent bowl team to consistently on the cusp of a National Title. He does have a lot to work with there but so does Texas and Herman just now has them being competitive.

How you know he isn't on dabo and saban's level? Neither of those 2 had the first 3 years that smart has had... not even close

MedDawg
03-11-2019, 10:06 AM
I think he fits Joe's offense better than Nick did. Which is all that matters for us at this point. I don't think Nick had the football IQ to run very many offenses- he actually put up similar numbers in 2017. What we need is someone that won't force balls, throw balls into triple coverage while completely ignoring wide open receivers, throw screen passes at 100 MPH, and be OK with handing the ball off.

At any rate Key puts a lot more air on his deep throws, has better touch on his passes, has shown that he typically doesn't turn the ball over a lot, and can run effectively enough to utilize being a dual threat QB.

THIS.

Tbonewannabe
03-11-2019, 10:14 AM
How you know he isn't on dabo and saban's level? Neither of those 2 had the first 3 years that smart has had... not even close

You are correct. Kirby could very well but I was referring to Dabo and Saban's teams are pretty much always in the Playoffs now. UGA missed out narrowly last year.

Hopefully Moorhead takes a step forward this year similar to how those coaches and Mullen stepped up in their 2nd year.

msstate7
03-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Hopefully Moorhead takes a step forward this year similar to how those coaches and Mullen stepped up in their 2nd year.

I really hope so. Apparently a lot of people like us much better than I do going into this season. Hopefully I'm just looking at us with built-in frustration from last season. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if Moorhead can reach 8 reg season wins this season.

TrapGame
03-11-2019, 10:24 AM
I could see us having a we believe kind of year where our record is pretty good but our team is fools gold.

How well we do really rests on how Key runs this offense. The defense will be above average but if we put just an average offense with it we can go 8-4 easily.

BrunswickDawg
03-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Wait a sec. It's not like Kirby inherited MSU post Croom. He got a program coming off 2 straight 10-3 seasons, had 10+ wins in 4 of the previous 5, and had played for an SEC title just 4 years prior and would have been in the NC had they won (UGA was #3 playing #2 Bama), and had 8 Top 10 seasons. Mark Richt continually had them competing for SEC and National Titles. His problem was not winning the NC (he did win the SEC twice, and the East 6 times) and UGA fans expectations/Bama envy.

Tbonewannabe
03-11-2019, 10:30 AM
I really hope so. Apparently a lot of people like us much better than I do going into this season. Hopefully I'm just looking at us with built-in frustration from last season. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if Moorhead can reach 8 reg season wins this season.

Just look at how much positive publicity we received when we hired Moorhead. He is extremely well respected nationally. That doesn't mean his offense and everything he does will work here but it seems like most people outside of MSU fans think he is a great coach and will continue our program in a positive direction. He has already improved our recruiting so hopefully we see some dividends from it. Cross is the highest rated LT we have gotten since Sherrod. Hopefully he has the same type of impact.

I think Schrader will help push our QBs if nothing else from his experience running the Moorhead offense in high school.

msstate7
03-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Wait a sec. It's not like Kirby inherited MSU post Croom. He got a program coming off 2 straight 10-3 seasons, had 10+ wins in 4 of the previous 5, and had played for an SEC title just 4 years prior and would have been in the NC had they won (UGA was #3 playing #2 Bama), and had 8 Top 10 seasons. Mark Richt continually had them competing for SEC and National Titles. His problem was not winning the NC (he did win the SEC twice, and the East 6 times) and UGA fans expectations/Bama envy.

Richt had 2 sec titles in 15 years, Smart has 1 in 3 years, and if not for 2 choke jobs, he'd have 2 sec titles and a natty. Recruiting has gone from top flight to elite. Smart is better

DancingRabbit
03-11-2019, 10:39 AM
BetOnline just updated their CFB championship odds and selected win totals.

Has us at 8 wins which seems reasonable.

https://newsok.com/article/5625527/sooners-given-decent-odds-to-make-college-football-playoff

BrunswickDawg
03-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Richt had 2 sec titles in 15 years, Smart has 1 in 3 years, and if not for 2 choke jobs, he'd have 2 sec titles and a natty. Recruiting has gone from top flight to elite. Smart is better

Didn't argue that Kirby wasn't better (although Richt won the SEC in his 2nd season, and lost another in his first 3 as well) - it's that he didn't take over a non-relevant program.
Kirby was also handed a LOADED roster.

bulldawg28
03-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Didn't argue that Kirby wasn't better (although Richt won the SEC in his 2nd season, and lost another in his first 3 as well) - it's that he didn't take over a non-relevant program.
Kirby was also handed a LOADED roster.

And still couldn't win it all.

bulldawg28
03-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Fromm was a 5* Qb coming out of highschool. Woody Mccorvey could get him to perform. Kirby missed his window to win a natty imo for the next 3-4 years. Florida will challenge and beat him. You also have to start considering GT now that Geoff Collins is there. He's going to land top players in the state of Georgia. The state of Georgia recruiting will soon be divided.

BrunswickDawg
03-11-2019, 02:17 PM
And still couldn't win it all.

Fromm was a 5* Qb coming out of highschool. Woody Mccorvey could get him to perform. Kirby missed his window to win a natty imo for the next 3-4 years. Florida will challenge and beat him. You also have to start considering GT now that Geoff Collins is there. He's going to land top players in the state of Georgia. The state of Georgia recruiting will soon be divided.

UGA has always and will always attract top level talent. Athens is too cool, it is in a state that has a huge high quality high school football infrastructure feeding the program, and they typically hire really good coaches. But, they have some things working against them. Athens is a distraction (Mark Richt has lost control of the program!!!) that will cost you players at some point in the season. The fan base is insanely jealous of anyone with more than their 2 National Titles - so they spend too much time criticizing the smallest things and that constant scrutiny does wear on the program. And, I think that Kirby will make a mistake in the recruiting game that will end up costing them players (because he promises the moon) with the new transfer rules. Kirby pulls another trick play that costs them a game and the grumbling will start big time.

Tech will be very interesting to watch. I had some close connections on Paul Johnson's staff - and I hate to see them go. But, Collins brings a modern approach they were lacking. I don't know that they will steal top players from UGA - the campus cultures are just too different. But, they could impact their depth. And the road to winning on The Flats is much easier with their ACC schedule. Hell, Johnson had them in a NY6 Bowl and won 11 games twice. Collins could quickly turn Tech into a solid program again.

StarkVegasSteve
03-11-2019, 02:27 PM
UGA has always and will always attract top level talent. Athens is too cool, it is in a state that has a huge high quality high school football infrastructure feeding the program, and they typically hire really good coaches. But, they have some things working against them. Athens is a distraction (Mark Richt has lost control of the program!!!) that will cost you players at some point in the season. The fan base is insanely jealous of anyone with more than their 2 National Titles - so they spend too much time criticizing the smallest things and that constant scrutiny does wear on the program. And, I think that Kirby will make a mistake in the recruiting game that will end up costing them players (because he promises the moon) with the new transfer rules. Kirby pulls another trick play that costs them a game and the grumbling will start big time.

Tech will be very interesting to watch. I had some close connections on Paul Johnson's staff - and I hate to see them go. But, Collins brings a modern approach they were lacking. I don't know that they will steal top players from UGA - the campus cultures are just too different. But, they could impact their depth. And the road to winning on The Flats is much easier with their ACC schedule. Hell, Johnson had them in a NY6 Bowl and won 11 games twice. Collins could quickly turn Tech into a solid program again.

Collins is interesting at Tech. He was swinging for the fences with the big time recruits when he was here as DC. I think he could try something similar to what Herman did at Houston with the H Town Takeover stuff. Not saying Collins is the next Herman by any means, but it's been proven you can recruit and have success in metro areas and as Brunswick stated it's hell of a lot easier to build a contender in the ACC than most P5 conferences.

bulldawg28
03-11-2019, 02:42 PM

I've heard about Athens but never gone. I need to check it out one Saturday football weekend.

Tbonewannabe
03-12-2019, 09:44 AM

So Mullen is going to figure out how to beat those type of teams? He normally shits himself and chews on his play card while the other team is stomping a mudhole in his ass. UGA is pulling in top 5 classes and UF with Mullen will not. UF might get a top 10 type class but that still doesn't help when Mullen turtles against good teams.

Tbonewannabe
03-12-2019, 09:52 AM

GA Tech is a different type of school. It is kind of like an Ivy league school in the South similar to Vandy. It is possible that Tech wins some recruiting battles but it won't be divided. Georgia students grow up "fans" of UGA similar to how kids in Alabama and Louisiana grow up Bama and Tiger fans. It is like the default school that kids are programed to like. My cousin from Alabama moved to Georgia and raised his kids. They learned the Go Dawg Sic Em chant in the first grade at school.

There is also the difference in enrollment. UGA is around 30k and GA Tech is around 16k. GA Tech also has a student body more inclined to do homework than go to sporting events which I wish I had done more of.

bulldawg28
03-12-2019, 12:01 PM
So Mullen is going to figure out how to beat those type of teams? He normally shits himself and chews on his play card while the other team is stomping a mudhole in his ass. UGA is pulling in top 5 classes and UF with Mullen will not. UF might get a top 10 type class but that still doesn't help when Mullen turtles against good teams.

Talent beats those types of teams. He'll use the talent in Florida and beat them. Did Mullen turtle or did we get outmanned? Mullen is a helluva coach that will win. If he won 8-9 games regularly at state he damn sure will win big at Florida.

bulldawg28
03-12-2019, 12:04 PM
GA Tech is a different type of school. It is kind of like an Ivy league school in the South similar to Vandy. It is possible that Tech wins some recruiting battles but it won't be divided. Georgia students grow up "fans" of UGA similar to how kids in Alabama and Louisiana grow up Bama and Tiger fans. It is like the default school that kids are programed to like. My cousin from Alabama moved to Georgia and raised his kids. They learned the Go Dawg Sic Em chant in the first grade at school.

There is also the difference in enrollment. UGA is around 30k and GA Tech is around 16k. GA Tech also has a student body more inclined to do homework than go to sporting events which I wish I had done more of.

Looks like you described Miami which proves you can win at these types of schools. GT can be a factor.

Tbonewannabe
03-12-2019, 12:10 PM
Talent beats those types of teams. He'll use the talent in Florida and beat them. Did Mullen turtle or did we get outmanned? Mullen is a helluva coach that will win. If he won 8-9 games regularly at state he damn sure will win big at Florida.

We never actually beat any teams that we didn't have at least as much or more talent. I don't think he can out talent UGA or Bama. We had more talent than UM in 2014 and 2015 but of course Mullen was job shopping so I guess you can't hold that against his coaching shitting the bed.

Tbonewannabe
03-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Looks like you described Miami which proves you can win at these types of schools. GT can be a factor.

I never said he couldn't win, he just won't start taking 50% of the recruits from UGA.

sandwolf
03-12-2019, 12:41 PM
We never actually beat any teams that we didn't have at least as much or more talent.

Yes we did. LSU has substantially more talent than us every single year, so that is 2 wins right there. I think a couple of the Auburn wins they had more talent than we did, but Mullen just out coached Malzahn. I know it's not popular to acknowledge right now, but Mullen is a really good coach and I expect him to win big at Florida after he gets the pieces in place.

msstate7
03-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Yes we did. LSU has substantially more talent than us every single year, so that is 2 wins right there. I think a couple of the Auburn wins they had more talent than we did, but Mullen just out coached Malzahn. I know it's not popular to acknowledge right now, but Mullen is a really good coach and I expect him to win big at Florida after he gets the pieces in place.

You didn't get the memo, Mullen sucks and was the only one holding us back from greatness**

Mullen is a great coach. Problem for Mullen is smart is damn good coach too that recruits at an elite level. I expect Mullen to be in the 10-11 win range, but rarely beating smart

Jarius
03-12-2019, 12:59 PM
We never actually beat any teams that we didn't have at least as much or more talent. I don't think he can out talent UGA or Bama. We had more talent than UM in 2014 and 2015 but of course Mullen was job shopping so I guess you can't hold that against his coaching shitting the bed.

What? He beat Georgia, LSU (twice), Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Ole Miss, A&M, and Michigan. All of those teams outrecruit us every year. He has a bigger logo at Florida and an easier division. He will win at a lot more games per year at Florida than he did at MSU because it’s a lot easier to recruit there. He will be at a talent disadvantage twice a year and one of those games is against Ed Orgeron who he will beat every time he faces more than likely.

bulldawg28
03-12-2019, 05:28 PM
You didn't get the memo, Mullen sucks and was the only one holding us back from greatness**

Mullen is a great coach. Problem for Mullen is smart is damn good coach too that recruits at an elite level. I expect Mullen to be in the 10-11 win range, but rarely beating smart

He'll beat Smart starting this year.

msstate7
03-12-2019, 05:37 PM
He'll beat Smart starting this year.

I wouldn't bet much if I were you haha

Todd4State
03-12-2019, 08:24 PM
What? He beat Georgia, LSU (twice), Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Ole Miss, A&M, and Michigan. All of those teams outrecruit us every year. He has a bigger logo at Florida and an easier division. He will win at a lot more games per year at Florida than he did at MSU because it’s a lot easier to recruit there. He will be at a talent disadvantage twice a year and one of those games is against Ed Orgeron who he will beat every time he faces more than likely.

Does Ole Miss really "outrecruit" us or are they better at gaming the star system? I can't call having a four or five star recruit that is going to play pro baseball and never setting foot on campus basically being the difference in having a better recruiting ranking as "outrecruiting".

Ari Gold
03-12-2019, 08:48 PM
How about this...
Enjoy it and have fun with it

tcdog70
03-13-2019, 02:56 PM
I think our defense will be much better that AW RIGHT.
DE-Kobe Jones and Rivers (who will be a bad mfer)
DT-Autry and Spenser--both really good-with Lovett also
LB-all back and Washington

dbs-plenty good ones--Murphy-Cole-Dantzler-and JUCO cuz of Abrams-Fred Peters

Adams also at DE. i am sure I am missing some--but what I'm saying is we will be a top third of SEC defense.

bulldawg28
03-13-2019, 03:15 PM
How are Jaden Crumedy and Devin Robinson developing?

biggun
03-13-2019, 07:16 PM
I think they mixed up and ran our roster for 2018 instead.

Lol, they most definitely did!!!!!!

Goldendawg
03-13-2019, 09:58 PM

I've bashed Dan many times for checking out after the bama game for his annual job search, but I did read on here that all we needed was that "Jo Guy" to take us to a higher level in 2018 with what Dan left. Oh, sorry, beating that dead horse again. Never mind.****** Hail State!