PDA

View Full Version : Baseball team ERA now 1.53, OBA .173

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Absolutely amazing job by Foxhall. We have ONE pitcher with an ERA above 3.00, and 11 pitcher 2.00 or better. Our weekend rotation have ERA's of 2.00, 1.89, and .90, with Plumlee being 2.30. Small, Gordon, Barlow, and Leibelt are vastly improved over last year.

I know the year is young and the competition sucks, but that's true for everyone and nobody even comes close to our numbers. LSU's ERA is 5.21, Ole Miss' is 3.90, Vandy's is 4.23, Florida's is 3.38, Arkansas is 3.34. All of them allow their opponents to hit at least .050 higher than us, and I didn't see any with lower walk numbers

msstate7
03-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Looks great, and yes, great job by staff and foxhall. Ready to see how they perform next weekend at Florida

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Looks great, and yes, great job by staff and foxhall. Ready to see how they perform next weekend at Florida

We're a starter heavy staff, so as always one bad start can really kill our pen for the rest of the series. BUT, if Small and Ginn give us what they have been I don't think we give up 10 runs on the weekend. That's my optimistic prediction right now. Also think it's 50% we take 2/3, 40% sweep, and 10% lose the series. I know that's optimistic but I'm very high on what I'm seeing

Political Hack
03-07-2019, 12:00 PM
If it continues, I'll meet y'all in Omaha.

msstate7
03-07-2019, 12:06 PM
We're a starter heavy staff, so as always one bad start can really kill our pen for the rest of the series. BUT, if Small and Ginn give us what they have been I don't think we give up 10 runs on the weekend. That's my optimistic prediction right now. Also think it's 50% we take 2/3, 40% sweep, and 10% lose the series. I know that's optimistic but I'm very high on what I'm seeing

< 10 runs on the weekend seems pretty optimistic. Temps likely to be 80s, so much less pitcher friendly than the temps we've had so far

PKADogs55
03-07-2019, 12:15 PM
But are we hosting haha? Can anyone tell me why State fans ask Kendall Rogers that all the time? Its actually funny as hell.

smootness
03-07-2019, 12:16 PM

We have starts, but our bullpen by no means lacks depth.

Commercecomet24
03-07-2019, 12:25 PM

This. Our starters have been great but we have a very DEEP pen. The pen has been tremendous this year and they all throw hard!

confucius say
03-07-2019, 02:02 PM

Agree. Bullpen arms are strong

sleepy dawg
03-07-2019, 02:16 PM
I'll go ahead and piss everybody off by saying... we're the best team in the country. I won't say we're going to win it or that we're going to be the best team all year, but right now we are the best team.

TNDawg35
03-07-2019, 02:43 PM
If Lemonis wins a natty this yr does that mean Cohen can keep his job?

msu15
03-07-2019, 02:49 PM
If Lemonis wins a natty this yr does that mean Cohen can keep his job?

Nice!

Todd4State
03-07-2019, 05:36 PM
The thing is some of our competition hasn't sucked and we still have shut them down.

USM is good- I know they are 5-5 but I think us beating them messed with their head. I guess they legitimately thought they were a lot better than us and last year had nothing to do with Cann being checked out.
Texas Tech could go to Omaha. We beat them.
Sam Houston State is good.
East Carolina is good.
UAB may be good.

Our team is already battle tested going into SEC play. These last few games we are going to be focusing on developing and getting guys going while we are piling up wins.

Dawg2003
03-07-2019, 05:51 PM
This team reminds me of the women's basketball team last year. A team that made an improbable run in the post-season the year before and returned a lot of its players. A year wiser, a more mature team with an understanding what it takes to make a post-season run. They tasted a NC but didn't make it. A team that is all about business and knows how to go about it. Apologies if mentioning women's basketball triggered anyone. It's a long season, but Small and Ginn will give us the chance to win a lot of games.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-07-2019, 06:12 PM
This team reminds me of the women's basketball team last year. A team that made an improbable run in the post-season the year before and returned a lot of its players. A year wiser, a more mature team with an understanding what it takes to make a post-season run. They tasted a NC but didn't make it. A team that is all about business and knows how to go about it. Apologies if mentioning women's basketball triggered anyone. It's a long season, but Small and Ginn will give us the chance to win a lot of games.

Let's not forget that most staff don't really have a solid Sunday starter. James is miles behind Small or Ginn but he's far better than Billingsley last year or Pilk his Fr year. We'll have the matchup edge over almost every team in all 3 games

Todd4State
03-07-2019, 09:01 PM

I think that's a good point. And why I'm surprised that we weren't consistently rated higher than we were in the preseason. We return a LOT from last year- except we added a first round pick to the rotation in Ginn and now have a more stability with our coaching staff and upgrading our staff while keeping our best coach on staff and our stadium has been completed. People may not remember but it was Keegan James getting the final out against Vanderbilt and several then freshmen like Tanner Allen and Jordan Westburg coming up with big hits time and time again and that has a lot of carryover into this year and next year.

I hate to add to the what could have been for MSU baseball but with Foxhall coaching the pitchers and Cheesebrough coaching the catchers we may have won the National Championship in 2018. Oregon State absolutely abused Skelton last year and I don't think that they would be able to do that to us now. And if they did try- we have Hayden Jones who could shut them down.

Todd4State
03-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Let's not forget that most staff don't really have a solid Sunday starter. James is miles behind Small or Ginn but he's far better than Billingsley last year or Pilk his Fr year. We'll have the matchup edge over almost every team in all 3 games

It probably won't happen but I'm hoping that later in the year he uses Cerentola as the opener and then brings in Keegan after 2-3 IP from Cerentola.

The Federalist Engineer
03-07-2019, 09:05 PM
This. Our starters have been great but we have a very DEEP pen. The pen has been tremendous this year and they all throw hard!

Our pen will actually get stronger as Price gets to full strength. White and Eagan only have 10 combined division-1 innings of experience, Smith is just a pup, and that's not including that Tyler Spring could transition into a bullpen righty.

Todd4State
03-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Our pen will actually get stronger as Price gets to full strength. White and Eagan only have 10 combined division-1 innings of experience, Smith is just a pup, and that's not including that Tyler Spring could transition into a bullpen righty.

That's why I also want Cerentola to eventually emerge as the third guy. Because then we can move Plumlee and Keegan to the pen for the postseason.

AlSwearengen
03-07-2019, 09:31 PM
Has anyone heard anything on Macleaod? It was sounding like he was the second best freshman behind J.T. It would be nice if Price and Self can get right and be their old selves and we redshirt Macleaod.

Also, what about Spring? I haven’t seen him pitch. How has he looked?

I’m assuming our SEC rotation next year could be J.T., Cerantola, and Macleod.

Todd4State
03-07-2019, 09:37 PM
Has anyone heard anything on Macleaod? It was sounding like he was the second best freshman behind J.T. It would be nice if Price and Self can get right and be their old selves and we redshirt Macleaod.

Also, what about Spring? I haven’t seen him pitch. How has he looked?

I’m assuming our SEC rotation next year could be J.T., Cerantola, and Macleod.

MacLeod has mono and won't be back for awhile. He may redshirt. Tyler Spring has pitched twice and has struck out four in two IP and has looked good.

You may very well be right about the rotation but it's way too soon to know.

Poindexter
03-07-2019, 10:10 PM
It probably won't happen but I'm hoping that later in the year he uses Cerentola as the opener and then brings in Keegan after 2-3 IP from Cerentola.

I agree. That would be a great idea. It will help get him up to speed against the type of competition he will be needed against come tournament time. If Cerantola is big game starter ready by the end of the year, he along with Keegan & Plumlee gives tremendous options in a tournament format. Especially, if needing to come out of the losers bracket. This pitching staff is a weapon.

BrunswickDawg
03-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Something else that should have all of use excited is that this is not a Senior laden team. Some of our best years lately have revolved around having experienced guys. We have some key Seniors in Jake, Mac, Plumlee, and Gordon - but the bulk of our team are sophomores and freshman (18 of the 35 guys on the roster) - and many of them are major contributors and starters. The wildcard for us will be how many of our 10 Juniors leave after this season. I feel like the younger guys could fill the gaps, but if the bulk of them stay we will be a threat with a ton of experience and depth in 2020, likely coming off of another run in Omaha. This is a very, very good time to be a Bulldog.

Lord McBuckethead
03-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Absolutely amazing job by Foxhall. We have ONE pitcher with an ERA above 3.00, and 11 pitcher 2.00 or better. Our weekend rotation have ERA's of 2.00, 1.89, and .90, with Plumlee being 2.30. Small, Gordon, Barlow, and Leibelt are vastly improved over last year.

I know the year is young and the competition sucks, but that's true for everyone and nobody even comes close to our numbers. LSU's ERA is 5.21, Ole Miss' is 3.90, Vandy's is 4.23, Florida's is 3.38, Arkansas is 3.34. All of them allow their opponents to hit at least .050 higher than us, and I didn't see any with lower walk numbers

I would like to add, that as of the Regional last year, Gordon was going to leave college with his degree and enter the work force. Gordon is probably my favorite Bulldog right now, given that last year he had a rough time, was blasted by this message board for his outings, then totally flipped the switch on his entire career at the moment we really needed him to. Huge turn around in his personal performance since the regional last year. Wish Holman could have a similar breakthrough starting tomorrow.

BiscuitEater
03-08-2019, 11:18 AM
We're a starter heavy staff, so as always one bad start can really kill our pen for the rest of the series.

Sorry, but am NOT following. We have only had 5 guys start the 13 games, including mid-week starts .. (Ginn 3, Small 3, Plumlee 2, Cerantola 2, James 3) AND several of those starts have been on 'pitch counts' due to either 'early season' or 'cold weather.'

But we have had 45 relief appearances by 12 different pitchers .. (Plumlee 2, Gordon 6, Cerantola 1, Liebelt 5, White 5, Price 3, Spring 2, Smith 5, Eagan 4, Barlow 5, Self 5, Brock 2) and I agree that most of the 13 starts have been 'quality' starts BUT ~half of the 118 innings pitched so far have been by the pen.

Don't get me wrong and I'm really excited by the starters BUT I'm even MORE excited by the pen. Yes, its early but the pen looks REALLY talented and way DEEP.

Just but just don't get the 'starter heavy staff' statement especially considering the crappy weather so far.

BiscuitEater
03-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Something else that should have all of use excited is that this is not a Senior laden team. Some of our best years lately have revolved around having experienced guys. We have some key Seniors in Jake, Mac, Plumlee, and Gordon - but the bulk of our team are sophomores and freshman (18 of the 35 guys on the roster) - and many of them are major contributors and starters. The wildcard for us will be how many of our 10 Juniors leave after this season. I feel like the younger guys could fill the gaps, but if the bulk of them stay we will be a threat with a ton of experience and depth in 2020, likely coming off of another run in Omaha. This is a very, very good time to be a Bulldog.

Someone pointed out that we don't have a single SO pitcher contributing this year. Hopefully, we can get some JC help next year.

PMDawg
03-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Tennessee has actually been even better. A good deal better.

The Federalist Engineer
03-08-2019, 04:02 PM
In May and June, would like to have:

Plumlee, Cerantola, and Price for long relief
Barlow, Leibelt, and Egan for 3 to 6 batters
Gordon for closing

Other dudes could emerge too