PDA

View Full Version : Are you satisfied with the Basketball team or not?

sleepy dawg
03-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Since everyone thinks everyone is thinking something else. Let's see where the board actually stands. One simple question...

msstate7
03-07-2019, 11:41 AM
In on mobile, so I can't see the choices.

Overall, yes, I'm satisfied. I was hoping for us to be really hitting on all cylinders going into the tourney though, and that doesn't seem to be the case

Rick Danko
03-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Also on mobile so cannot see any poll. But, First tournament in ten years, hell yes. Howland has been able to return us from the dead. I expect he will continue to improve us in the coming years. Could we be better? Sure, but to say this season has been disappointing would be crazy in my opinion.

RiverCityDawg
03-07-2019, 11:51 AM
Sadly I am not. I say sadly, because I recognize this is the best team we've had in years and is probably as good of a team as we should reasonably expect to have. Something about this team is just not enjoyable despite the fact that they are a Tourney team and the best we've seen in many years. Inconsistent effort? Style of play? Unrealistic expectations based on my fondness of the early 2000's? I don't know, but I just haven't been able to buy in.

hopsondawg22
03-07-2019, 12:32 PM
We literally have the worst basketball fans in the country.

msu15
03-07-2019, 12:40 PM
No. We play with no life or energy on the road, we have no real offensive system, and our collective basketball IQ is below average.

deadheaddawg
03-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Been the funnest season in a long time. I still enjoy watching sports and I don't tie my self worth to it, so of course I'm satisfied.

Watching sports is supposed to be fun. It's actually been some enjoyable moments this year. I'm very happy with it.

mparkerfd20
03-07-2019, 01:09 PM
No. River City summed up my feelings too pretty much. We just aren't very fun to watch most of the time. Yes there's been times when we were exciting to watch this year and just when they pull me in again they go to shit. Lack of overall effort at times combined with massive regression by some of our key players has made this a difficult season to really enjoy. Still thrilled we are respectable again and hope we can turn it on and surprise some teams in postseason.

Quaoarsking
03-07-2019, 01:33 PM
Yes, this is better than all but 3 of Stansbury's 14 seasons, and maybe more if we make a run.

BeastMan
03-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Yes. This team has been great and I hope they make a tourney run so some of y’all can not enjoy this team in the sweet 16

StarkvilleGuru
03-07-2019, 01:41 PM

Look no further than this message board. We have a team cemented in the NCAA tournament BEFORE the SEC tournament has started. How often does Miss St. do that? This season would be disappointing if we were UNC, UK, or Duke--simply put, we aren't. We are not even a men's basketball school. We are projected between a 6th-8th seed for the big dance. Anybody who is disappointed with this team needs to relive the Rick Ray years where we were the whipping boys of the SEC.

Start supporting our guys when they win! We are winning and y'all are mad because we don't win by enough or win pretty. Howland has brought State's basketball back to relevancy. This season is a complete success and will be a building block for our program

Political Hack
03-07-2019, 02:19 PM
We're still building. The accumulation of talent continues to progress. As long as we're getting better year to year, I don't see how people can complain.

Could we have had a better year? Of course. Are we having our best year in over a decade? Absolutely.

Political Hack
03-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Look no further than this message board. We have a team cemented in the NCAA tournament BEFORE the SEC tournament has started. How often does Miss St. do that? This season would be disappointing if we were UNC, UK, or Duke--simply put, we aren't. We are not even a men's basketball school. We are projected between a 6th-8th seed for the big dance. Anybody who is disappointed with this team needs to relive the Rick Ray years where we were the whipping boys of the SEC.

Start supporting our guys when they win! We are winning and y'all are mad because we don't win by enough or win pretty. Howland has brought State's basketball back to relevancy. This season is a complete success and will be a building block for our program

Money.

msu15
03-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Yes, this is better than all but 3 of Stansbury's 14 seasons, and maybe more if we make a run.

LOLOL

dantheman4248
03-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Better way to put it is to make the distinction between program and team. The overall trajectory of the program and the fact we are in the tournament is completely satisfactory. Anyone saying fire howland is an idiot.

The team itself just isn’t inspiring confidence. Lazy, almost entitled, play, the lack of being a cohesive unit, losing all but really 2 meaningful (to the fans) SEC games (especially dropping to OM at home) just doesn’t inspire fan support. That UT game showed the total lack of effort for second chance balls. The best game the team has played in SEC play was a loss to LSU.

The future looks extremely bright, but the present should look better than it does.

OneArmSteve
03-07-2019, 03:25 PM
While this team is certainly frustrating to watch at times, I feel that they have accomplished the goal that most of us desired heading into this season, making the NCAA tournament. You can argue all day long about not performing up to their potential, but the fact remains that this team is going to be playing meaningful games in March for the first time in a decade. If we go back and look at the preseason expectations from most of us, that's what we all wanted.

Hopefully they can get hot at the right time and play up to their potential and make a run in the tournament.

Dawg61
03-07-2019, 03:38 PM
I've enjoyed this season even though we are stumbling to the finish. I'm very excited to see us in the NCAA tourney again finally so yes this season is a success imo since that was the only stipulation I put on it being one in the first place.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-07-2019, 03:48 PM
I've enjoyed this season even though we are stumbling to the finish. I'm very excited to see us in the NCAA tourney again finally so yes this season is a success imo since that was the only stipulation I put on it being one in the first place.

I wouldn't exactly say stumbling to the finish. We win Saturday we will have finished the regular season winning 6 out of the last 8.

Dawg61
03-07-2019, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't exactly say stumbling to the finish. We win Saturday we will have finished the regular season winning 6 out of the last 8.

Ok but we just played our worst game of the season two days ago

msstate7
03-07-2019, 03:58 PM

And if not for auburn going into cruise control too early, we'd be coming off 2 straight thumpings by tourney teams

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-07-2019, 04:22 PM

Exactly. I honestly do not understand all of these lofty expectations. Where are they coming from? This team went to the NIT last year.

Our football team from 01' to 06' took one beating after another every week for half a decade, and then 2007 came along. Were we the best team in the conference? FAR FROM IT, but were people bitching about only making it to the Liberty Bowl? No, they weren't. It was the most excitement the football season had seen in years. Hell, Croom won the SEC coach of the year.

Basketball is pretty much the same situation this year (maybe even worse). We were awful for a decade, and some of our entitled fans seem really unimpressed with the 6 seed we have played ourselves into. I simply don't get it.

MadDawg
03-07-2019, 04:57 PM

So 25% of Howlands teams have been better than 17.6% of Stansbury's team. So far, anyways.

Dawg61
03-07-2019, 05:07 PM
So 25% of Howlands teams have been better than 17.6% of Stansbury's team. So far, anyways.

We got to the NIT semis last year. That's probably better than 50% of Stansbury's teams.

deadheaddawg
03-07-2019, 05:49 PM

That math isn't checking out

11 years out of 14 isn't 17.6%.

25% of Howlands teams have been better than around 78% of Standbury's

Walkerhill
03-07-2019, 06:44 PM
Since everyone thinks everyone is thinking something else. Let's see where the board actually stands. One simple question...

Heck yes. This team has taken a step every year despite the Kegler, Brooks, and Newman transfer sagas and some recruiting busts. Even the mid season Nick Spoon distraction. This program was dead as a door nail from every perspective - talent, coaching, fan support.

Getting back on the March Madness stage is a meaningful step.

Winning a couple or more of conference or tourney games ice this as a successful season.

biggun
03-07-2019, 09:54 PM
We are missing a starter, a key cog, for the rest of the season due to academic fraud, which has destroyed our bench and stressed our starters due to having to log far too many minutes thus being down to a 7 man rotation with one of those 2 subs being A Holman who has been pretty much a no show his Senior year, therefore I would have to say, YES, I am very satisfied due to finally making the Big Dance despite basically missing 2 starters most of the SEC season.

biggun
03-07-2019, 10:04 PM
If Lamar Peters gets his head right, which is a very big if, this team can still make a lot of noice in both the SEC and NCAA tournament. Peters is the key to how we do in the Big Dance. Period. When he is locked and loaded, we can beat anybody. But when he is pouting and committing stupid fouls, dribbling wayyy too much, and firing up 40 footers, we don’t have much of a chance of beating any team with a pulse

Quaoarsking
03-07-2019, 10:18 PM

If you were ranking all the seasons we've had in the last 3 coaches, you start with Stansbury's 3 glory years (2002, 2003, and 2004), where we were a 3, 5, and 2 seed. We got upset in all 3 of those NCAA Tournaments, but didn't underachieve in the regular season.

After that, you have this year, where we're looking like a 5/6/7/ish seed, but we have underachieved, and then you have Stansbury's other 3 NCAA Tournament teams where we were an 8, 8, and 13.

Beyond that, we had 1 NIT under Stansbury (2010) where we we pretty obviously been in if the tournament had been 68 teams like it is now, and another (2007) where we were a 1 seed, so maybe then to. After that you have Stansbury's other 3 NIT teams and Howland last year in some order. Next is 2011, where were didn't get the NIT but had a winning SEC record, followed by the remaining 2 Stansbury teams, the remaining 2 Howland teams, and Rick Ray's 3 years in last.

None of that really matters, but I've seen several people here post that Howland has just finally gotten us back to Stansbury level, and that's silly. This would be Stansbury's 4th best team at worst, maybe higher depending on how the SECT and NCAAT go, and Howland already had us around Stansbury's median team last year.

CadaverDawg
03-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Satisfied with making the Tourney? Hell yes.

Met my expectations for the season? Hell yes, exceeded them in wins/losses.

But are they a fun, inspiring group to watch play? A team that plays to its potential every night and leaves it all on the court? A team that has a high basketball IQ and appears well coached? A team I just feel drawn to support and never miss a second of them on the court? Well, No. They aren't.

So yes, I'm satisfied....but I am realistic enough to see why people aren't camping out for tickets all week.

BiscuitEater
03-07-2019, 10:51 PM

Majority of State fans have more 'passion' for MSU basketball than the current team does. Stone cold Fact.

MarketingBully
03-08-2019, 03:42 AM
I think it?s exciting to see us in the tournament again and it?s great we made the basic goal of making the tournament but I?m not satisfied with where this team is. Do I think Howland has done a great job as a head coach herding this group of cats? I?d say yes. I?m more then satisfied with Q?s play and excited about the season he has had. I?m extremely disappointed with Lamar Peters, Holman, and Nick Weatherspoon. Those three players imo have put a damper on this season. Had they played to their potential and one not gotten suspended, we?d be looking at a 3 or 4 seed right now and we easily would have beaten both LSU and UK at home and beaten USC and Ole Miss to start the SEC season. Those 4 wins would have put us at 13-4 and 25-5 right now and I guarantee you no one would be complaining about the season one bit.

With that said, its still March and we have meaningful games left for Peters and Holman to redeem themselves. We could still make a run but it completely will depend on if Peters and Holman pick up their game to their potential. It starts on Saturday. We absolutely have to win that game (and we should). A&M is not good and we get them at home. Need to win that game and win one or two in Nashville and get our mojo back and try to make a run to the second weekend in the tournament.

Barking 13
03-08-2019, 04:25 AM
No. River City summed up my feelings too pretty much. We just aren't very fun to watch most of the time. Yes there's been times when we were exciting to watch this year and just when they pull me in again they go to shit. Lack of overall effort at times combined with massive regression by some of our key players has made this a difficult season to really enjoy. Still thrilled we are respectable again and hope we can turn it on and surprise some teams in postseason.

It?s like deja-vu all over again, like with football.
Scared to get excited because there?s too many wtf moments.

BrunswickDawg
03-08-2019, 06:44 AM
If you were ranking all the seasons we've had in the last 3 coaches, you start with Stansbury's 3 glory years (2002, 2003, and 2004), where we were a 3, 5, and 2 seed. We got upset in all 3 of those NCAA Tournaments, but didn't underachieve in the regular season.

After that, you have this year, where we're looking like a 5/6/7/ish seed, but we have underachieved, and then you have Stansbury's other 3 NCAA Tournament teams where we were an 8, 8, and 13.

Beyond that, we had 1 NIT under Stansbury (2010) where we we pretty obviously been in if the tournament had been 68 teams like it is now, and another (2007) where we were a 1 seed, so maybe then to. After that you have Stansbury's other 3 NIT teams and Howland last year in some order. Next is 2011, where were didn't get the NIT but had a winning SEC record, followed by the remaining 2 Stansbury teams, the remaining 2 Howland teams, and Rick Ray's 3 years in last.

None of that really matters, but I've seen several people here post that Howland has just finally gotten us back to Stansbury level, and that's silly. This would be Stansbury's 4th best team at worst, maybe higher depending on how the SECT and NCAAT go, and Howland already had us around Stansbury's median team last year.

^^^^ This. Especially that last paragraph.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-08-2019, 07:05 AM
Stansbury ain’t walking through that door. Move on ....The Hump needs a re-model, re-seating and MSU Athletics needs an actual Marketing Department.

Dawg2003
03-08-2019, 09:44 AM
I'm satisfied with the end result as it stands today, but, man, was it ever painful to get there. This is just a painful and unenjoyable team to watch. They selectively decide if they will give any effort.

Tbonewannabe
03-08-2019, 09:46 AM
When is the last time we had 21-22 wins in the regular season? I think the 96 team had about that many in the regular season and then caught fire. I am not saying that this team is close to that but if Peters and Holman play up to potential and we got Nick back then we could go on a run. When we are clicking on all cylinders, we look like a Sweet Sixteen team or better so hopefully the team pulls it together. It would be nice to win 2 games in the Big Dance since we haven't done that since 96.

Dawg2003
03-08-2019, 09:47 AM
It?s like deja-vu all over again, like with football.
Scared to get excited because there?s too many wtf moments.

This is where I'm at too. This team is not something I would really get invested in or spend a lot of time watching. I certainly wouldn't pay to go to any of the games in person. You just never know when they'll decide to play or when they'll decide to wave the white flag. I mean, when you have announcers that are commenting on how they're not even trying to get rebounds, that's bad.

Tbonewannabe
03-08-2019, 09:51 AM
I'm satisfied with the end result as it stands today, but, man, was it ever painful to get there. This is just a painful and unenjoyable team to watch. They selectively decide if they will give any effort.

This team just teases you with glimpses like against LSU leading by double digits with a couple minutes to go and then let it slip away by them forcing it to OT and then losing it. We are very reliant on Q scoring since Peters and Holman rarely score now. I was at the UGA game and thank God it didn't go to OT because Q was wore out. It took all 31 points to win that game.

It will be interesting to see what this team looks like next year. I think Tyson Carter, Perry, and Woodard will step up and hopefully it is enough to offset Q's production. I think losing Holman might be addition by subtraction since he gives up more on defense than he scores.

tcdog70
03-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Hmmm, didn't the Vols beat Ky by 20 also. Be glad we got that game out of our system. We won't beat anyone if Q has a shitty game. We need Nick back--it is pretty amazing we have won the games we have without Him. plus the fact LP has gone into the shitter. Q-Tyson and Perry had done yeoman's work. If and it's a BIG IF, Lamar can wake the 17 up-we might have a good run left.

Dawg2003
03-08-2019, 10:59 AM
This team just teases you with glimpses like against LSU leading by double digits with a couple minutes to go and then let it slip away by them forcing it to OT and then losing it. We are very reliant on Q scoring since Peters and Holman rarely score now. I was at the UGA game and thank God it didn't go to OT because Q was wore out. It took all 31 points to win that game.

It's emotionally draining in the worst way. It's not even worth it.

Lord McBuckethead
03-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Not sure, but how many of those 6 are tourney teams. Yes we are talking about how we play against tourney teams.

sleepy dawg
03-08-2019, 11:22 AM
The poll will close in a few minutes and we are at exactly 1/3 are not satisfied. My prediction was less than 25%. Either way, a lot of us voted and I think it shows a good representation of where the board stands. I think there's solid points being made on both sides. I'm still quite pleased with the season we've had, but understand where many of you are coming from with the disappointment.

I think those who are disappointed who I can most get are the ones who are just disappointed b/c you think we aren't playing up to our potential, and I get that. It sucks to see us not play to what we're capable of, and I agree with you but I'm still pleased b/c I've just wanted us to get back to this point for so long. I love our men's team and it's been a really depressing run of year after year of failure. At this point, just making the tournament is a success to me and something better than an 8 seed is icing on the cake.

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned yet as folks are making comparisons to years past is that the SEC the past 2 years is substantially better than it has been, maybe ever. The SEC wins we do have are much more valuable than they used to be. We may not have beaten one of the top couple of teams, but beating the mid-pack of the SEC this year carries much more weight than it has in years past.

HoopsDawg
03-08-2019, 11:35 AM
I'm just disappointed that we lost Nick. He brought it every game and was the emotional and vocal leader of the team. If we had Nick and Carter in the backcourt, we could make a serious run.

Cooterpoot
03-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Satisfied? Yes. Happy? No