PDA

View Full Version : Men?s basketball prediction

Dawgcap
03-06-2019, 12:05 AM
So my predictions are we beat A&M. Finish 6 in SEC. Win at least 1 in tournament. May need 2. But we will make Sweet 16.

parabrave
03-06-2019, 12:17 AM
So my predictions are we beat A&M. Finish 6 in SEC. Win at least 1 in tournament. May need 2. But we will make Sweet 16.

You did watch the last 2 games didn't you? Sweet 16??????

Dawgcap
03-06-2019, 12:22 AM
I did. It’s not what you did the last 2 it’s how you recover! I believe we catch fire at the right time.

Goldendawg
03-06-2019, 12:22 AM

My prediction is that this team remains very hard to watch in the remaining games and continue to look at times that some don't like each other or even enjoy playing the game at times. Will either lose every remaining game or win the National Championship (and look bad in the first half doing it). Hail State!

yjnkdawg
03-06-2019, 12:28 AM

There needs to be a big turn around, then, and they need to start playing as a team again, enjoy playing the game (together), and have that competitive spirit, or I don't see that happening.

CadaverDawg
03-06-2019, 12:28 AM

May need 2?

For what

yjnkdawg
03-06-2019, 12:31 AM
May need 2?

For what

I was wondering that too. Nine SEC wins got us in the NCAA tourney, and the quadrant 1 wins that we have.

Dawgcap
03-06-2019, 12:57 AM
May need 2 in the SEC tournament to get a 6 seed. I think 2 wins in that tournament gives a shot at the Sweet 16. Look I realize tonight was ugly but there aren’t many teams in the country we don’t match up with. Tennessee is one of them. They were last year and they were this year. I know I may be optimistic but we win 1-2 in SEC tournament and beat A&M last game we have a shot. We lose Saturday I retract this statement!

Dawgcap
03-06-2019, 01:04 AM
Funny so what’s your predictions?

dantheman4248
03-06-2019, 01:41 AM
Funny so what’s your predictions?

Round of 32 at best until we prove we can beat a top 16 team. For us to make the sweet 16 our 3/2 seed partner needs a first round loss.

Liverpooldawg
03-06-2019, 08:43 AM
This isn't a Sweet 16 team unless we get really hot and get two great matchups the first weekend. Given where our program has been just getting to the Dance is huge.

Lord McBuckethead
03-06-2019, 09:31 AM
I did. It’s not what you did the last 2 it’s how you recover! I believe we catch fire at the right time.

well I was thinking we should have tried to recover during last nights game? In my opinion, the road to recovery hasn't even started as of 8:30 a.m. 03.06.2019. We may not have even bottomed out yet judging by the execution and team mentality last night.

Hell our team with the talent we have could get to the elite 8. Will they? Well they have shown me zero indicators in the past 2 months that we can compete when the other team is hustling.

HoopsDawg
03-06-2019, 09:31 AM
without nick, we are in trouble. I guess we could get really hot and win 1 game in the tourney.

StarkVegasSteve
03-06-2019, 09:41 AM
The facts are that without Nick this team is screwed. We get in foul trouble far too easily and we end up not playing aggressively at the guard positions. I don't know what's going on with Peters, but whatever and whoever had the talk with him last year around the Alabama game needs to have that talk again. He's got to become more of a scoring threat. We can't be successful simply relying on Q and hoping Tyson is hot. We need another threat at guard and Nick is that threat. His ability to get to the goal or pull up from 12-15 ft is exactly what we need. We're also missing his toughness on D.

fishwater99
03-06-2019, 09:47 AM
We need good PG play and we aren't getting it right now.

Ari Gold
03-06-2019, 09:49 AM
It’s pretty amazing how we as a fan base are able to suck the ****ing life out of making it to the Dance for the first time in over a decade and the field hasn’t even been announced yet ..

Here is an idea:

Enjoy the next few weeks knowing we are playing meaningful games In March ..
Bottom line is no one knows what’s going to happen come the dance
Thats the beauty of college basketball . I’m sure all of you honks had Loyola Chicago in the final 4 last year or USCe in the final four in 2017 ect...
Again this isn’t ****ing football , where right now we can prob pencil in 3 or possible all 4 of the teams in the playoffs next year and it’s March

We might lose the first game , we may make it to the elite 8.

So either enjoy the ride the next few weeks. If you don’t give a **** or want to bitch or complain about losing 2 road games agaisnt 2 quad 1 opponents , or I don’t like CBH or I hate watching this team play , or whatever ..take that shit somewhere else and let the few on here that enjoy March madness and us finally being apart of it enjoy it .

BB30
03-06-2019, 09:50 AM
At Tennessee is a tough place to win. We had plenty of opportunities to make that a game and missed too many easy baskets. The good news is we did a decent job on the offensive boards just didn't finish around the basket. Cut out some of the turnovers and make the easy baskets and that game ends up being fairly close.

It wasn't like Tennessee out athleted us we kicked ourselves. The raw talent is there to make a run. Just have to play smarter. I could see us getting bounced in the first round and I could see this team making a little run to the Sweet 16. I would like to see us play 2 complete halves against A and M and limit the turnovers. I would also like to see us play decent basketball in the SEC tourney. We do those two things and I would feel better about our chances of making a run.

We left at a minimum 20 points on the floor of baskets we should have made regardless of the turnovers.

As ugly as the final score was and as ugly as we played we still had plenty of chances to be in the game. Did it to ourselves.

msudawglb
03-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Unless we have a big turn around with our team chemistry, we will win maybe 2 more games this season at best. We only have one true point guard and he is a head case. He is severely doubting his shot right now. He threw up a very bad air ball last night and even has an air ball free throw in the last few games. He's always hanging his head. Holman as bad as he is has to play to rest others and he is also very uncomfortable on the court now. Perry doesn't look very comfortable either. Q is good but if you put your best defender on him, he can be shut down somewhat due to lack of speed (scoring 10-12 instead of 20-22). Ado is not a scoring threat. Basically right now, our scorers are Q, Carter, and some from Perry. That might be ok, but our defense is pretty bad and rebounding is also bad.

We have the talent, but right now, the team is playing pretty bad. Hopefully, they get out of this and get some of their mojo back.

mparkerfd20
03-06-2019, 10:19 AM
The fans didn't suck the life out of making it to the Dance. The team did just fine on their own accomplishing that.

smootness
03-06-2019, 10:30 AM
It’s pretty amazing how we as a fan base are able to suck the ****ing life out of making it to the Dance for the first time in over a decade and the field hasn’t even been announced yet ..

Here is an idea:

Bottom line is no one knows what’s going to happen come the dance
Thats the beauty of college basketball . I’m sure all of you honks had Loyola Chicago in the final 4 last year or USCe in the final four in 2017 ect...
Again this isn’t ****ing football , where right now we can prob pencil in 3 or possible all 4 of the teams in the playoffs next year and it’s March

So either enjoy the ride the next few weeks. If you don’t give a **** or want to bitch or complain about losing 2 road games agaisnt 2 quad 1 opponents , or I don’t like CBH or I hate watching this team play , or whatever ..take that shit somewhere else and let the few on here that enjoy March madness and us finally being apart of it enjoy it .

Just give it time. Once the bracket is unveiled and we're in it, we start filling out brackets that include MSU games, once we start looking forward to the first 2 days of the Tournament and plan a viewing party for the State game, etc....people will get pumped.

Just give it time.

Cooterpoot
03-06-2019, 10:31 AM
One and done in the NCAA. Solid year. Keep moving forward.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-06-2019, 10:40 AM
MSU fans last decade: I just want a winner that can make the dance. I'd love that.

MSU basketball: Here's a winning team going to the dance.

MSU fans: I hate this team.

smootness
03-06-2019, 10:45 AM
MSU fans last decade: I just want a winner that can make the dance. I'd love that.

We probably said the same about a bunch of our teams under Stans at this point in the year...and still, every time, we got pumped once the Tourney actually got here.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-06-2019, 10:50 AM
We probably said the same about a bunch of our teams under Stans at this point in the year...and still, every time, we got pumped once the Tourney actually got here.

I agree but the difference is we experienced it every year with Stans. This program went to the absolute bottom & we have seen this type of success in over a decade. I know these guys can be frustrating to watch but we're 21-9 & a 6 seed in the tourney. We haven't had a seed this high since '04. You're probably right about the excitement that will come when our name is called on selection Sunday. I just hate the lack of support this team has gotten. This is the least supported good team that MSU has ever had in any sport by a large margin.

smootness
03-06-2019, 11:08 AM
I agree but the difference is we experienced it every year with Stans. This program went to the absolute bottom & we have seen this type of success in over a decade. I know these guys can be frustrating to watch but we're 21-9 & a 6 seed in the tourney. We haven't had a seed this high since '04. You're probably right about the excitement that will come when our name is called on selection Sunday. I just hate the lack of support this team has gotten. This is the least supported good team that MSU has ever had in any sport by a large margin.

I know, I get it. I think that boils down to two things: 1) the way we started SEC play, and 2) the fact that we haven't really beaten anybody that good.

The way we started SEC play took the wind out of our sails and caused us to think, 'Ok, here we go again,' and then we haven't beaten anybody good since to get that momentum back. I think if we'd started something like 6-3 in the SEC, we would have had serious momentum that we wouldn't have lost as easily, and I think if we had taken out somebody like Kentucky or Tennessee, or Auburn on the road, it would have made people go, 'Ok, maybe we actually do have something.'

It genuinely is easy to forget how many wins this team has and that they are one of the best 25 or so teams in the country because it just doesn't feel like they are.

msstate7
03-06-2019, 11:11 AM
I know, I get it. I think that boils down to two things: 1) the way we started SEC play, and 2) the fact that we haven't really beaten anybody that good.

The way we started SEC play took the wind out of our sails and caused us to think, 'Ok, here we go again,' and then we haven't beaten anybody good since to get that momentum back. I think if we'd started something like 6-3 in the SEC, we would have had serious momentum that we wouldn't have lost as easily, and I think if we had taken out somebody like Kentucky or Tennessee, or Auburn on the road, it would have made people go, 'Ok, maybe we actually do have something.'

It genuinely is easy to forget how many wins this team has and that they are one of the best 25 or so teams in the country because it just doesn't feel like they are.

We're a top 25 team with nick and peters. Unfortunately, nick is gone and peters has gone on strike since nick's suspension. We have no pg right now. This is why I'm frustrated.

Ari Gold
03-06-2019, 11:17 AM

This should have been the first post of the thread....
Exacatly my point

Ari Gold
03-06-2019, 11:23 AM

Again the excuses don’t equal the reality.
I think we have 8 quad one wins , which is among the best in that category.. so how is that not beating anyone ?

msstate7
03-06-2019, 11:27 AM
If there is one reason to hope, it could be Holman was outstanding in OOC games. Hopefully he just struggles vs sec teams

dantheman4248
03-06-2019, 11:38 AM
It?s pretty amazing how we as a fan base are able to suck the ****ing life out of making it to the Dance for the first time in over a decade and the field hasn?t even been announced yet ..

Here is an idea:

Bottom line is no one knows what?s going to happen come the dance
Thats the beauty of college basketball . I?m sure all of you honks had Loyola Chicago in the final 4 last year or USCe in the final four in 2017 ect...
Again this isn?t ****ing football , where right now we can prob pencil in 3 or possible all 4 of the teams in the playoffs next year and it?s March

So either enjoy the ride the next few weeks. If you don?t give a **** or want to bitch or complain about losing 2 road games agaisnt 2 quad 1 opponents , or I don?t like CBH or I hate watching this team play , or whatever ..take that shit somewhere else and let the few on here that enjoy March madness and us finally being apart of it enjoy it .

This is a thread about making accurate predictions about how our men?s team is gonna do.
If men?s basketball predictions isn?t in ur wheel house then this thread doesnt concern you so no need to post.

smootness
03-06-2019, 11:40 AM
Again the excuses don’t equal the reality.
I think we have 8 quad one wins , which is among the best in that category.. so how is that not beating anyone ?

Because fans don't even know what a Quad 1 win is, much less how many we have. I'm relating all this to fan excitement. I know we have some good wins, but we haven't knocked off anybody that's going to get anyone excited.

Here are our 8 Quad 1 wins:
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Auburn
Wofford
Cincinnati
Clemson
Dayton
St. Mary's

Meanwhile, our 6 Quad 1 losses:
Tennessee
Auburn
Kentucky
LSU
Alabama
Kentucky

So only 3 have come in 2019, and they're against OM (who we split with), Auburn (who we split with), and Arkansas.

It's not that hard to see that our fans aren't going to view all of these as big wins, and they're going to look at those 2 lists and say, 'Yeah, we beat mediocre teams and lose to all the good teams.' Which actually isn't that inaccurate.

We are one of those teams who has benefited from a very smart OOC schedule that has worked out for us, so we're more of a 'good resume' team than 'oh man, that team is dangerous' team.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Because fans don't even know what a Quad 1 win is, much less how many we have. I'm relating all this to fan excitement. I know we have some good wins, but we haven't knocked off anybody that's going to get anyone excited.

Arkansas
Ole Miss
Auburn
Wofford
Cincinnati
Clemson
Dayton
St. Mary's

Tennessee
Auburn
Kentucky
LSU
Alabama
Kentucky

So only 3 have come in 2019, and they're against OM (who we split with), Auburn (who we split with), and Arkansas.

It's not that hard to see that our fans aren't going to view all of these as big wins, and they're going to look at those 2 lists and say, 'Yeah, we beat mediocre teams and lose to all the good teams.' Which actually isn't that inaccurate.

We are one of those teams who has benefited from a very smart OOC schedule that has worked out for us, so we're more of a 'good resume' team than 'oh man, that team is dangerous' team.

thank you Smoot, you've summarized my views nicely. I'm excited that we're in the tournament, but I see ZERO reason to think we can beat a top 25 team, and it's 50/50 we can beat a #25-35 team. I see 0 reason to hope we can make it to the sweet 16, much less beyond it. Field of 32 would be a good year, one and done is solid (if a bit of a let down given this team's potential). Unlike the baseball team last year which had the great top 10 record vs top teams, I don't see any reason to think we can upset a 1-4 seed

HoopsDawg
03-06-2019, 04:11 PM

Arkansas
Ole Miss
Auburn
Wofford
Cincinnati
Clemson
Dayton
St. Mary's

Tennessee
Auburn
Kentucky
LSU
Alabama
Kentucky

And 1 Quad 1 win without Nick.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-06-2019, 05:07 PM

I think Thunder and Lightning had a lot of good points in their recent show. This team is hard to watch, doesn't show much emotion, and thus doesn't drum up a lot of excitement. That combined with the inconsistent play can lead to the fanbase being frustrated. Out of the teams we have beat, who is the best win? Are any of them considered better than MSU?

I don't see why we can't be happy about making the tournament, but be concerned on our performance as well.

HoopsDawg
03-06-2019, 05:14 PM
I think Thunder and Lightning had a lot of good points in their recent show. This team is hard to watch, doesn't show much emotion, and thus doesn't drum up a lot of excitement. That combined with the inconsistent play can lead to the fanbase being frustrated. Out of the teams we have beat, who is the best win? Are any of them considered better than MSU?

I don't see why we can't be happy about making the tournament, but be concerned on our performance as well.

I guess my 2 favorite or what I consider best wins are AU and Cincy. But the guys I follow who know college basketball think Cincy is trash this year. So I guess I will go with the win at Ole Miss.

sleepy dawg
03-07-2019, 09:14 AM
I would say Wofford is our best win. They have a 14 NET ranking and we beat them by 11. And since margin of victory matters in NET up to 10, I'd say this is the best.
Next would either be Auburn at home by 8 or Ole Miss on the road. I would rank Cincinnati, Saint Mary's and Clemson all about the same.... Then Dayton then Arkansas.

We lost to Tennessee on the road and Kentucky on the road, just like everyone else who played them at their house with the only exception being LSU beat Kentucky. We lost a close one to Kentucky at home and one to LSU that was pretty close too.

We really don't have a bad loss either. Our worst loss is probably to South Carolina on the road and everyone knows how tough SEC games are on the road.

I know I'm all over the place here, but our resume is really good. 8 Q1 wins. 0 Q3/Q4 losses.

If we're playing good, we can definitely make it to the sweet 16. If we're playing great, we could make it to the elite 8, but my prediction would be win the first round lose in the 2nd. And if we're play bad in round 1 we might lose that game.

Tbonewannabe
03-07-2019, 10:17 AM
Beating UT at UT this year would have been equal to beating Bama in football. They are one of the best at home in the country and they are a top 8 team no matter where the game is. It really sucks that we couldn't hold on to the lead against LSU in those last couple of minutes. That would have changed a lot of people's outlook.

Ari Gold
03-07-2019, 10:34 AM
This is a thread about making accurate predictions about how our men?s team is gonna do.
If men?s basketball predictions isn?t in ur wheel house then this thread doesnt concern you so no need to post.

When the bracket comes out and I see who we are matched up with I will give my predictions. Kind of hard to do that now.
If we get a good second round draw than I think we will get to sweet 16

Ari Gold
03-07-2019, 10:42 AM

Arkansas
Ole Miss
Auburn
Wofford
Cincinnati
Clemson
Dayton
St. Mary's

Tennessee
Auburn
Kentucky
LSU
Alabama
Kentucky

Look at the road wins, neutral site wins, and right now our worse loss is at USCe and maybe home loss to OM.
Once again.. take off the football mentality. I had rather be a good resume tram than one that is back dooring their way into the tourney ...
We have proved we can beat good teams and tourney teams
Home courts are a big deal.. those are gone now. A lot of teams ranked higher than us have huge issues winning road games. You get teams out of their own building lots of things can happen
Anyone who thinks this team CANT win a 2nd round game in the tourney is completely wrong . And that’s not saying we will
We might go one and done. Ask last years Virginia team what can happen come tourney time

smootness
03-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Look at the road wins, neutral site wins, and right now our worse loss is at USCe and maybe home loss to OM.
Once again.. take off the football mentality. I had rather be a good resume tram than one that is back dooring their way into the tourney ...
We have proved we can beat good teams and tourney teams
Home courts are a big deal.. those are gone now. A lot of teams ranked higher than us have huge issues winning road games. You get teams out of their own building lots of things can happen
Anyone who thinks this team CANT win a 2nd round game in the tourney is completely wrong . And that’s not saying we will
We might go one and done. Ask last years Virginia team what can happen come tourney time

I didn't say we can't win a 2nd round game. I didn't say anything about the quality of this team or their likelihood of winning any future games.

I'm talking solely about fan excitement here. I agree that we lack truly bad losses, though we've definitely had a couple disappointing ones. But lacking bad losses is not going to get fans excited like winning big games will.

And yes, we've beaten some good teams. But when the good team is Wofford, fans are not going to care about that. 2 of our 8 Q1 wins are against teams outside the top 50, they just came on the road. Again, fans aren't really going to care about those. We have lost 5 of our 6 biggest games this year, and the one we won...was against Wofford. There just hasn't been a ton to get people really excited. Again, for us it's about the whole body of work and not anything specific or individual. Well, a 'body of work' team won't get people pumped, generally speaking.

ETA: When you switch to RPI instead of NET, our Q1 record drops to 5-7. I know NET is what matters and not RPI, so this doesn't mean anything for our seeding or Tournament prospects, but it's something else to consider.

basedog
03-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Ncaa tournament play is a whole lot different than regular season play. Cinderella teams come every year, not saying we are but anything can happen.

Howland has improved Msu every year so for, I'm happy we are dancing, I like others hope we win some games. Lastly, Msu basketball has been a struggle, for those who think we suck and aren't happy better find another hobby. The Sec has been pretty competitive as for as middle of the pack goes with decent teams. And yes it is all about match ups and of course who gets hot. Lets hope Peters brings his A game, no doubt he is a total mystery of his disappearance lately.

Btw, seems as if Nick is done, if he isn't at the Sec tourney then I'm saying he is.

msstate7
03-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Looking back at what most consider our best win, wofford. Look at peters' and holman's lines...
Peters: 19 pts 8 assists
Holman: 19 pts 8 reb

Clemson...
Peters: 28 pts 5 assists
Holman: 16 pts. 6 Reb

Cincinnati...
Peters: 14 pts 9 assists
Holman: 7 pts 10 reb

Auburn win...
Peters: 16 pts 10 reb
Holman: 7 pts. 6 reb

Now here's each one's last 5 game avg's...
Peters: 4.2 ppg (21 total) 3.8 assists (19 total)
Holman: 5 ppg (25 total) 3.4 reb (17 total)

Now keep in mind that we lost nick also. Just hard to get real excited when 3 cogs of our team are essentially gone.

ETA... unless peters snaps out of it, there's no way we win a 2nd round game

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Looking back at what most consider our best win, wofford. Look at peters' and holman's lines...
Peters: 19 pts 8 assists
Holman: 19 pts 8 reb

Clemson...
Peters: 28 pts 5 assists
Holman: 16 pts. 6 Reb

Cincinnati...
Peters: 14 pts 9 assists
Holman: 7 pts 10 reb

Auburn win...
Peters: 16 pts 10 reb
Holman: 7 pts. 6 reb

Now here's each one's last 5 game avg's...
Peters: 4.2 ppg (21 total) 3.8 assists (19 total)
Holman: 5 ppg (25 total) 3.4 reb (17 total)

Now keep in mind that we lost nick also. Just hard to get real excited when 3 cogs of our team are essentially gone.

ETA... unless peters snaps out of it, there's no way we win a 2nd round game

I agree with you overall, but I will say that Q and Perry have come on strong since most of those wins where Holman and Peters did so much

msstate7
03-07-2019, 01:42 PM
I agree with you overall, but I will say that Q and Perry have come on strong since most of those wins where Holman and Peters did so much

Perry definetely has picked it up, but Holman still gets approx 20 mins/game (avg of last 5). Imagine if we still got holman's early season type production those 20 mins. And while Q has been great, no one can replace peters' production. He is the key for any type of run imo

StarkVegasSteve
03-07-2019, 01:55 PM
Perry definetely has picked it up, but Holman still gets approx 20 mins/game (avg of last 5). Imagine if we still got holman's early season type production those 20 mins. And while Q has been great, no one can replace peters' production. He is the key for any type of run imo

That's not just your opinion that's FACTS. I've been saying it more over a year now. Peters is the cog. You know what you're getting from Q, Perry has came along nicely and he's able to give you anywhere from 10-12 pts and he's going have 10 rebs., and Woodard is going be the hardest worker on the court. Getting Peters to 10-12 pts is almost always going to be the difference. Especially if we could get Nick back.