View Full Version : What is the latest on

Prentis
03-05-2019, 08:14 PM
Nick Weatherspoon?

Ari Gold
03-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Nick Weatherspoon?

Bracky still has him on lock.
It’s embarrassing and amazing he has been here as long as he has.
I won’t say anything else about this.

Steakonastick
03-05-2019, 08:32 PM
Hearing that meetings are happening this week on campus. The final decision should become public soon.

Political Hack
03-05-2019, 08:43 PM
We're aware of what's happened and plan to share if Nick gets screwed over unnecessarily by our esteemed compliance office.

Turfdawg67
03-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Bracky still has him on lock.
It’s embarrassing and amazing he has been here as long as he has.
I won’t say anything else about this.

Ok. And not arguing, but what if he's circumvented a bunch of... ummm probation type sh*t for us?? I vote for Bracky and keeping us on - at least - a somewhat straight-and-narrow with the NCAA.

BeardoMSU
03-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Ok. And not arguing, but what if he's circumvented a bunch of... ummm probation type sh*t for us?? I vote for Bracky and keeping us on - at least - a somewhat straight-and-narrow with the NCAA.

Don't disagree in principle, but most schools have ex-NCAA compliance officers handling this position....we don't, and it's bush league.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Brackys fax machine is broke..... just kidding, but when you wonder why we can’t attract or keep great coaches, most of it has to do with our Compliance Department

I seen it dawg
03-05-2019, 10:30 PM
Most schools have a former NCAA employee as has been stated or an attorney as compliance. We have an old boy coach. He gets told keep us out of trouble and he goes Barney fife. It truly is embarrassing.

BuckyIsAB****
03-05-2019, 10:33 PM
I've heard some pretty bad stuff, hoping it was just weed or something

msstate7
03-05-2019, 10:33 PM
Nick gets himself suspended and everyone is mad at bracky? Sounds like the parents that get mad at the teacher when their kid acts an ass in class

I seen it dawg
03-05-2019, 10:35 PM
It's not just Nick. As far as why the vitriol for Bracky.

MarketingBully
03-05-2019, 11:06 PM
Decide one way or the other man. He’s already missed six games. Decide now. This is getting ridiculous.

MarketingBully
03-05-2019, 11:10 PM
Hearing that meetings are happening this week on campus. The final decision should become public soon.

Good. This needs to be decided and done. It’s gone on long enough. Nick has gotten a defacto six game suspension. We are acting like the NCAA when they basically give you a season ending suspension by not deciding until the season is over. Only we are doing this shit to ourselves. Hope whatever he did warranted this because if we ruined what could have been a great season just to be on the safe side the fans and the team should be pissed.

Todd4State
03-06-2019, 12:01 AM
We're aware of what's happened and plan to share if Nick gets screwed over unnecessarily by our esteemed compliance office.

We always punish ourselves worse than what the NCAA would ever do. I'm glad we didn't give football the death penalty in 2004.

yjnkdawg
03-06-2019, 12:21 AM
I agree that we need somebody who has had prior experience in a compliance role capacity with the NCAA, or a good Attorney, who has expertise in that area. Our current track record with this compliance staff has been that we see fit to penalize our players or athletic programs worse than any NCAA sanctions would have been.

Jarius
03-06-2019, 04:42 AM
We always punish ourselves worse than what the NCAA would ever do. I'm glad we didn't give football the death penalty in 2004.

We did give our football program the death penalty in 2004. We hired a coach who ran off half of the team and willingly played with less than 60 scholarship players his first 2 years on campus. When “the right way” is to run half the team off, you have no business being a head coach. I would love to see another example of that approach working in the last 20 years.

-sorry, off my soapbox

BhamDawg205
03-06-2019, 07:24 AM
We did give our football program the death penalty in 2004. We hired a coach who ran off half of the team and willingly played with less than 60 scholarship players his first 2 years on campus. When “the right way” is to run half the team off, you have no business being a head coach. I would love to see another example of that approach working in the last 20 years.

-sorry, off my soapbox

Say what you want, but the football team was bad prior. Bad character and lack of talent. Croom was a bad head coach, but he laid the foundation for Mullen. The players Croom didn't run off didn't quit and graduated... In other words, they left as men. Croom was biggest two flaws to me his loyalty to his philosophy and staff and unwillingness to adapt to his players. Hopefully JoMo doesn't have Croom's second flaw.

Mobile Bay
03-06-2019, 07:30 AM

-sorry, off my soapbox

Nick Saban

BeardoMSU
03-06-2019, 07:38 AM
Say what you want, but the football team was bad prior. Bad character and lack of talent. Croom was a bad head coach, but he laid the foundation for Mullen. The players Croom didn't run off didn't quit and graduated... In other words, they left as men. Croom was biggest two flaws to me his loyalty to his philosophy and staff and unwillingness to adapt to his players. Hopefully JoMo doesn't have Croom's second flaw.

I don't know the number off hand, but how many arrests/player issues did we have under Croom? A lot, right? I know several were involved in firing guns on campus. I've never quite bought into Croom as the foundation/discipline guy....

If I'm not mistaken, the most damning issues Dan ever had were a few DUIs, correct?

somebodyshotmypaw
03-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Nick gets himself suspended and everyone is mad at bracky? Sounds like the parents that get mad at the teacher when their kid acts an ass in class

Or how we all say "it's not a big deal" when somebody gets arrested. It's not that hard to follow rules and laws. And if you don't, there should be consequences.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-06-2019, 08:07 AM
When “the right way” is to run half the team off, you have no business being a head coach. I would love to see another example of that approach working in the last 20 years.

-sorry, off my soapbox

Hypothetically, if you were to find that half your team molested kids, would you keep them? I wouldn't. If half the team needs to be run off, then you run them off.

Political Hack
03-06-2019, 08:15 AM
Personally I think we "over punish" our student athletes fairly consistently. We have more strict rules than ole miss or Georgia and most others across the SEC. And we never play kids if there's anything questionable going on. We never get quick responses from the ncaa (outside of women's basketball once that I can remember).

Compliance has taken the position that they protect the university at all costs regardless of the impacts it has on our student athletes. I think the student athletes are part of our university and should also be protected by the compliance department, but they're not. They get treated like they're the perp rather than the defendant by their own compliance department. Other schools use compliance to act as a defense.

Liverpooldawg
03-06-2019, 08:40 AM
With the way we are treated by the NCAA we have to operate like we do. I have no problem with it. It prevents much worse from happening.

HoopsDawg
03-06-2019, 09:46 AM

Let's just throw out a hypothetical. What if Nick cheated on a paper or a test. Do you think a 6 game suspension is just punishment on a first offense? I do. Nick has paid a pretty steep price already. Hopefully, he gets a second chance.

msstate7
03-06-2019, 09:53 AM
Let's just throw out a hypothetical. What if Nick cheated on a paper or a test. Do you think a 6 game suspension is just punishment on a first offense? I do. Nick has paid a pretty steep price already. Hopefully, he gets a second chance.

I know someone who got kicked out of school a semester for that

ETA... I'm not saying nick should be kicked out of school this semester. I don't know the details

Ari Gold
03-06-2019, 10:01 AM

This is that time when you need to stay in ur lane.
All we are saying is that its a shame we dont have better complainace here
Its actually pretty amazing we do what we do here with the amount of leeway we have to work with

Bottom line If what went down is what I have been told and Nick was playing at UK , Aub hell even OM he would be back on the court all ready .. a while ago

Ari Gold
03-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Personally I think we "over punish" our student athletes fairly consistently. We have more strict rules than ole miss or Georgia and most others across the SEC. And we never play kids if there's anything questionable going on. We never get quick responses from the ncaa (outside of women's basketball once that I can remember).

Compliance has taken the position that they protect the university at all costs regardless of the impacts it has on our student athletes. I think the student athletes are part of our university and should also be protected by the compliance department, but they're not. They get treated like they're the perp rather than the defendant by their own compliance department. Other schools use compliance to act as a defense.

Perfectly said ..