PDA

View Full Version : Nick Fitzgerald's Legacy

BrunswickDawg
03-04-2019, 02:59 PM
Great perspective article from MSU - https://hailstate.com/news/2019/3/4/football-a-look-at-nick-fitzgeralds-legacy.aspx

Really sums up what a great career Nick had.

https://hailstate.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=14&image_path=/images/2019/3/4/19FB_Fitzgerald_Stat_Sheet.jpg

Commercecomet24
03-04-2019, 03:02 PM
Nick was a baller! Proud he was a Dawg!

Maroonthirteen
03-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Maybe if the internet was around for John Bond and Don Smith back in the day .... but he receives an unfair amount of Criticism from our fans.

He was one of the best QBs to wear the maroon and white to date.

MadDawg
03-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Maybe if the internet was around for John Bond and Don Smith back in the day .... but he receives an unfair amount of Criticism from our fans.

Any State fan that doesn't have a soft spot for Nick after what he went through at State, especially in that damn Egg Bowl, I just don't know what to tell them.

confucius say
03-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Warrior, with limitations. Second best qb in school history in terms of production.

MetEdDawg
03-04-2019, 03:42 PM
Warrior, with limitations. Second best qb in school history in terms of production.

This sums my thoughts up perfectly. He battled for us and got beat up badly over his career. Stats show he was our 2nd best QB of all time. He definitely had limitations as a passer, but he laid it all out pretty regularly.

KOdawg1
03-04-2019, 03:54 PM
Nick would be remembered as one of our better QBs had he not immediately followed Dak Prescott. I've given Nick as much hell as anyone because he can't hit the broad side of a barn with a football, but he was a tough kid and did a lot of good things for us.

Travelingdawg
03-04-2019, 03:58 PM
☝️ What he said.

Commercecomet24
03-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Any State fan that doesn't have a soft spot for Nick after what he went through at State, especially in that damn Egg Bowl, I just don't know what to tell them.

Rep Given

Commercecomet24
03-04-2019, 04:03 PM
This sums my thoughts up perfectly. He battled for us and got beat up badly over his career. Stats show he was our 2nd best QB of all time. He definitely had limitations as a passer, but he laid it all out pretty regularly.

Amen to what you and Confucius both said.

confucius say
03-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Nick would be remembered as one of our better QBs had he not immediately followed Dak Prescott. I've given Nick as much hell as anyone because he can't hit the broad side of a barn with a football, but he was a tough kid and did a lot of good things for us.

Who the hell doesn't remember him as one of our better QBs?

confucius say
03-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Amen to what you and Confucius both said.

And I'll add, his limitations were exacerbated due to his having the 13-14 ranked sec wr group his jr and Sr Years. When he actually had an all sec wr in Ross in 2016 (72 catches for 917 and 12 TD) it was better.

Commercecomet24
03-04-2019, 04:12 PM
And I'll add, his limitations were exacerbated due to his having the 13-14 ranked sec wr group his jr and Sr Years. When he actually had an all sec wr in Ross in 2016 (72 catches for 917 and 12 TD) it was better.

Agreed. While Nick wasn't Tom Brady we had a bus load of drops the last couple of years. Nick gave us everything he had and you can never fault any player for leaving it all on the field. He was the definition of a Bulldog!

HereComesTheSpiral
03-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Who the hell doesn't remember him as one of our better QBs?

You ever read a game thread?

bluelightstar
03-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Let’s also remember that we are in a very different era of offense. I don’t mean that as a ding, but most schools are starting to have their offensive records broken.

But yes, a good Bulldog! Also agree with those who say he’s hurt by following Dak

Liverpooldawg
03-04-2019, 06:57 PM

That sums it up.

tcdog70
03-04-2019, 09:17 PM
Wait who beat Ole Miss more Nick or Dak? Who had the best Wrs?. Name one team in the SEC who had worse WRs than US last year? Why must our fan base bash our best players. Big T, Q and Nick all get slammed by MSU fans. Go figure

gravedigger
03-04-2019, 10:25 PM

Bond and Smith received a good deal more criticism than Fitz ever did.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-04-2019, 11:12 PM
Bond and Smith received a good deal more criticism than Fitz ever did.

I think that is what he meant....I think.

bluelightstar
03-04-2019, 11:48 PM
Wait who beat Ole Miss more Nick or Dak? Who had the best Wrs?. Name one team in the SEC who had worse WRs than US last year? Why must our fan base bash our best players. Big T, Q and Nick all get slammed by MSU fans. Go figure

Beating Ole Miss more does not make Nick better than Dak. Sorry if that?s not what you meant, but it jumped out at me. Nick is a good athlete, and we would have been in rough shape without him the last few years for sure

Todd4State
03-05-2019, 12:23 AM

Technically Ole Miss only beat Dak once.

Damn it felt good to type that. Hope it was worth it Rebels!**

Todd4State
03-05-2019, 12:37 AM
For me Nick is always going to be an enigma. I think he is a very talented player that reached his potential in some ways and in other ways not so much. Some of what he did very well and also what he struggled with at times was in part because of himself and other factors surrounding the team at the same time.

With most players people tend to remember the good more than the bad. I would say that his 2016 Egg Bowl performance may have been the best in modern history by a single player on either side by an individual player. 8-17 passing with only 109 yards is not very good but he also had 3 TD passes to 0 INT's and then 14 carries for 258 yards and 2 more TD's for an average of 18.4 yards per carry which is ridiculous for a running back or QB. It seemed like he averaged 50 YPC in that game.

The good news for us is someone in the NFL will probably draft him and use him like Taysom Hill for the Saints and it will give us not just one- but now two QB's in the NFL. That's is very good for MSU. One thing that will help with recruiting is putting guys in the league like we are and our guys having success.

Jarius
03-05-2019, 02:44 AM
The Ole Miss teams that Dak played were much better than the OM teams that Nick played every year. Nick was one of our better qb's in history. He's not Dak Prescott, but not many people ever will be. Dak is an NFL starting qb for a team that's went to the playoffs 2 of his first 3 years. Those type of quarterbacks don't come around very often anywhere, and especially at MSU.

confucius say
03-05-2019, 11:18 AM
For me Nick is always going to be an enigma. I think he is a very talented player that reached his potential in some ways and in other ways not so much. Some of what he did very well and also what he struggled with at times was in part because of himself and other factors surrounding the team at the same time.

With most players people tend to remember the good more than the bad. I would say that his 2016 Egg Bowl performance may have been the best in modern history by a single player on either side by an individual player. 8-17 passing with only 109 yards is not very good but he also had 3 TD passes to 0 INT's and then 14 carries for 258 yards and 2 more TD's for an average of 18.4 yards per carry which is ridiculous for a running back or QB. It seemed like he averaged 50 YPC in that game.

The good news for us is someone in the NFL will probably draft him and use him like Taysom Hill for the Saints and it will give us not just one- but now two QB's in the NFL. That's is very good for MSU. One thing that will help with recruiting is putting guys in the league like we are and our guys having success.

He pulled away and was not caught by Zedrick 4.29 Woods in that game too. Nick was a 4.5 or better pre injury.

BB30
03-05-2019, 11:27 AM
You give Nick AJ Brown and DK Metcalf and he is a heisman candidate. We more than likely are right there competing for the SEC West this past year if we had a guy or two that could take the top off a defense and catch whatever hits their hands.

Tbonewannabe
03-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Nick was a warrior that at times put the offense on his back and dragged defenders for first downs and TDs. He is the best running QB in SEC history and we should all be very PROUD to call him a Bulldog. He wasn't a perfect QB but no one is. He benefited from a Great Oline but was hampered by a bad WR group. At a minimum, he is a top 5 QB at MSU and probably 2nd behind Dak.

msbulldog
03-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Nick was a warrior that at times put the offense on his back and dragged defenders for first downs and TDs. He is the best running QB in SEC history and we should all be very PROUD to call him a Bulldog. He wasn't a perfect QB but no one is. He benefited from a Great Oline but was hampered by a bad WR group. At a minimum, he is a top 5 QB at MSU and probably 2nd behind Dak.

+1