PDA

View Full Version : It Happened A--gain

ShotgunDawg
03-04-2019, 12:19 PM
This time from the SEC.

Simply amazing how a school could go to 9 straight bowl games, have a top 5 women's team, a top 10 baseball team, & an NCAA caliber mens basketball team, yet their own conference still makes this mistake. Simply amazing how stupid people are.

mstatefan91
03-04-2019, 12:24 PM
I get how it can happen from a newspaper, national sports site, etc.. but your own damn conference?? There are 14 head basketball coaches in men's basketball in this conference.. A 5 year old can keep up with them if he has to or wants to..

ScoobaDawg
03-04-2019, 12:49 PM
It's all that racist school up north's fault. If they would just get rid of that racist term and be who they are University of Mississippi. That would fix the problem. I'm sure this doesn't happen with Michigan or Michigan State or other similar situations.

Maroonthirteen
03-04-2019, 01:40 PM
It's all that racist school up north's fault. If they would just get rid of that racist term and be who they are University of Mississippi. That would fix the problem. I'm sure this doesn't happen with Michigan or Michigan State or other similar situations.

I absolutely hate how the word racism is thrown around so easily now a day.

The confusion has absolutely nothing to do with Ole Miss or their nickname.

ScoobaDawg
03-04-2019, 01:55 PM

I disagree. They see that term "Ole Miss" and don't remember if it associates with Mississippi or Mississippi State. They only go by Mississippi. There is no confusion for anyone.

It is a racist term plain and simple. The school knows that also and is why several years ago you had the school start only going by the University of Mississippi only and athletics only use that term.
As much as they want to stay in the old times and not be forgotten.. It's going to happen.

Maroonthirteen
03-04-2019, 02:02 PM
I would say 90% of the population now a Days has no idea where the term Ole Miss was originated.

I disagree. I think them using Ole Miss helps distinguish us from them. Because if they were Mississippi Rebels, it would be the Mississippi Rebels and the Mississippi Bulldogs. I hear people often drop “State” from Michigan and Arkansas and etc etc

MadDawg
03-04-2019, 02:30 PM

While I agree with the misuse or overuse of the term "racism" today, it actually IS correct to call their name "racist". It is 100% racist.

msu15
03-04-2019, 02:33 PM
I would say 90% of the population now a Days has no idea where the term Ole Miss was originated.

I disagree. I think them using Ole Miss helps distinguish us from them. Because if they were Mississippi Rebels, it would be the Mississippi Rebels and the Mississippi Bulldogs. I hear people often drop “State” from Michigan and Arkansas and etc etc

It doesn't matter if 90% of the now population knows where the term came from, it is racist.

ScoobaDawg
03-04-2019, 02:42 PM
It doesn't matter if 90% of the now population knows where the term came from, it is racist.

Repeat it loud and proud. Don't let it every be forgotten.

deadheaddawg
03-04-2019, 03:19 PM

I absolutely hate how people act like things like the Confederate flag and the word "ole miss" are not racist.

I absolutely hate when snowflake rednecks start whining like babies when people start talking about changing things.

I absolutely hate how racist rednecks are too stupid to remember history so they have to have statues of traitors and flags so they "don't forget history" or some other BS excuse for staying racist

And I REALLY hate racist rednecks who disrect the American flag by flying the Confederate flag and honoring traitors.

BeardoMSU
03-04-2019, 03:32 PM
I absolutely hate how people act like things like the Confederate flag and the word "ole miss" are not racist.

I absolutely hate when snowflake rednecks start whining like babies when people start talking about changing things.

I absolutely hate how racist rednecks are too stupid to remember history so they have to have statues of traitors and flags so they "don't forget history" or some other BS excuse for staying racist

And I REALLY hate racist rednecks who disrect the American flag by flying the Confederate flag and honoring traitors.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-28-2016/7s3CTh.gif

Maroonthirteen
03-04-2019, 03:35 PM

Yeah, none of that is cool either

Maroonthirteen
03-04-2019, 03:45 PM

No question Ole Miss is an “old south” term. However the nickname doesn’t make the majority of the people that make up that school racist. ....” that racist school ...”. That encompasses the whole institution. That’s my point.

dawgs
03-04-2019, 04:26 PM
No question Ole Miss is an ?old south? term. However the nickname doesn?t make the majority of the people that make up that school racist. ....? that racist school ...?. That encompasses the whole institution. That?s my point.

Yeah, folks need to recognize that calling an institution or a policy "racist" isn't calling you racist for not realizing it. Once it's explained to you how it is perceived as being racists by the minorities the term/symbol was used against, and then you still defend it, well at that point you either have a giant blind spot and are incapable of empathizing with others and taking a couple minor steps in your life to ensure you aren't being perceived as racist (not waving a confederate flag or not using "ole miss" or whatever is a pretty insignificant change to your life) or you are an asshole racist.

As a libcuck snowflake commie, I agree that many of the PC police tend to get overzealous and call someone a racist and spark an outrage way too early in the process instead of appearing to one's sense of empathy by explaining how and why certain symbols/actions/words hurt them and/or others, which leads to a lot of pushback from the one's being accused. Now once explained and if they still don't give a shit, then by all means, I say let them hear it.

BiscuitEater
03-04-2019, 04:33 PM

Then please explain to the board 'why' the term OLE MISS in your view it is NOT racist.

BrunswickDawg
03-04-2019, 04:34 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-28-2016/7s3CTh.gif

Ole Miss summed up in a single gif

Maroonthirteen
03-04-2019, 05:14 PM
Then please explain to the board 'why' the term OLE MISS in your view it is NOT racist.

Explain how you think that sentence says the term Ole miss isn’t racist.

BuckyIsAB****
03-04-2019, 05:18 PM
I could care less about OM or their name and not to take this thread down a rabbit hole but that war was about a whole not more than being racist.

The north was just as racist as the south was, the left loves to praise ol Abe but if they really knew the history they would know his Dad was a slave catcher and he wanted to send all african americans to south america and get rid of them all instead of having to deal with it. Not to mention the White House and the Capitol building was being built on by slave labor DURING the war. Throw in the fact that 94 percent of folks who fought for the south in the war never owned a slave and you'd find that the Confederate flag is far from racist. Stonewall Jackson taught sunday school for black kids and taught hem how to read and write. Robert E Lee didnt support slavery either. There were lots of rich folk in the south that did however and that was wrong. Now some groups have hijacked the flag and made it to be something it wasnt, and that is wrong and Im against them. The left also wants to brainwash you into thinking that as well bc they want everyone to be victims but that is another topic.

To quote Shelby Foote (A Mississippian) ''Anyone who says that the war was about slavery are just as wrong as the people who say that it had nothing to do with slavery.'' I did a research project on the war at MSU. History books given to kids today tell you what they want you to think, not the truth.

Didnt mean to go on a rant but it is what it is.

Dawg61
03-04-2019, 05:32 PM
This time from the SEC.

Simply amazing how a school could go to 9 straight bowl games, have a top 5 women's team, a top 10 baseball team, & an NCAA caliber mens basketball team, yet their own conference still makes this mistake. Simply amazing how stupid people are.

Those who search for things to be offended by will often find it

BeardoMSU
03-04-2019, 05:36 PM
that war was about a whole not more than being racist.

The Mississippi Articles of Secession disagree with that statement. .

BuckyIsAB****
03-04-2019, 05:40 PM
The Mississippi Articles of Secession disagree with that statement. .

And that was written by a few really rich white folks in MS. Not by the vast majority.

deadheaddawg
03-04-2019, 05:42 PM
I could care less about OM or their name and not to take this thread down a rabbit hole but that war was about a whole not more than being racist.

The north was just as racist as the south was, the left loves to praise ol Abe but if they really knew the history they would know his Dad was a slave catcher and he wanted to send all african americans to south america and get rid of them all instead of having to deal with it. Not to mention the White House and the Capitol building was being built on by slave labor DURING the war. Throw in the fact that 94 percent of folks who fought for the south in the war never owned a slave and you'd find that the Confederate flag is far from racist. Stonewall Jackson taught sunday school for black kids and taught hem how to read and write. Robert E Lee didnt support slavery either. There were lots of rich folk in the south that did however and that was wrong. Now some groups have hijacked the flag and made it to be something it wasnt, and that is wrong and Im against them. The left also wants to brainwash you into thinking that as well bc they want everyone to be victims but that is another topic.

To quote Shelby Foote (A Mississippian) ''Anyone who says that the war was about slavery are just as wrong as the people who say that it had nothing to do with slavery.'' I did a research project on the war at MSU. History books given to kids today tell you what they want you to think, not the truth.

lol.

Cleanup on page one. We have a melted snowflake puddle

BuckyIsAB****
03-04-2019, 05:46 PM
lol.

Cleanup on page one. We have a melted snowflake puddle

Or just facts. And where did I melt? Solid argument there. Im not gonna get into a page long pissing match just figured some factual statements would benefit the thread not just biased opinions

BeardoMSU
03-04-2019, 05:46 PM
And that was written by a few really rich white folks in MS. Not by the vast majority.

Yes. The vast majority of soldiers were fighting for their "home"...to preserve a "way of life"...

We can contextualize it all day long regarding the poor soldier who never owned slaves, but the fact of the matter is they fought for a cause that was unequivocally clear in its #1 goal.

And regarding Lincoln, we can pretty much break down every historic figure regarding negative things about their past that haven't aged well....literally every historic figure. But Lincoln preserved the Union...he kept the United States of America together...and he did his best (before being assassinated) to make the reconstruction as painless as possible for his southern brethren who were his neighbors once again. That's what he's remembered for, and he's a hero for it.

BuckyIsAB****
03-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Yes. The vast majority of soldiers were fighting for their "home"...to preserve a "way of life"...

We can contextualize it all day long regarding the poor soldier who never owned slaves, but the fact of the matter is they fought for a cause that was unequivocally clear in its #1 goal.

And regarding Lincoln, we can pretty much break down every historic figure regarding negative things about their past that haven't aged well....literally every historic figure. But Lincoln preserved the Union...he kept the United States of America together...and he did his best (before being assassinated) to make the reconstruction as painless as possible for his southern brethren who were his neighbors once again. That's what he's remembered for, and he's a hero for it.

He also suspended the right to a fair trial and threw your ass in jail if you wrote anything bad about him in newspapers during the war. He also sent a large number of troops to maryland to intimidate the people there from voting to secede. When South Carolina seceded which was completely legal at the time, and claimed Fort Sumter was their own soil since it did belong to them they gave the men there 30 days to leave, Lincoln told the Colonel at Fort Sumter to stay there as long as he could while he raised an army and a navy to invade his own country. 30 days went by and the south shot first.

If you read a history book given to kids today its the south randomly opened fire at federal troops bc they were evil and hated black people.

BuckyIsAB****
03-04-2019, 05:58 PM
Read the soldiers on both sides letters to home and hardly any of them mention a slave. Matter of fact when Lincoln issued the emancipation proclamation (which was nothing but a tool to keep england and france out of the war, it accomplished nothing in the US) lots of Union soldiers deserted and draft riots happened in lots of northern states. Especially in New York.

The goal for a few rich politicians in the south may have been to keep slaves but the majority of them fought bc they were being invaded and taxed over 50 percent of their revenue thanks to the Morill Tariff than Lincoln upheld when he was elected. Lincoln won the presidency despite not even being on the ballot in many of the southern states and that shows they had virtually no say so in congress. It was about a lot more than what the left wants to paint it as.

Liverpooldawg
03-04-2019, 06:52 PM

The war was about slavery, period. Every other damn arguement you make about it NOT being about slavery ultimately leads back to slavery. No slavery, no war, PERIOD. The topic isn't even debatable if you are truthful.

Liverpooldawg
03-04-2019, 06:55 PM

The vast majority voted for the delegates to that convention. It represented the will of the people of the state. The war was about SLAVERY.

deadheaddawg
03-04-2019, 07:16 PM
It's amazing in the year 2019 we still have people trying to distort history to keep their racist flag and heroes.

Do all wars involve lots of little issues someone can point to as a red herring? Yes. If you are stupid enough to believe the civil war wasn't about slavery then you are stupid enough to believe red herring things like "my great great grandpappy wasn't racist and most of the soldiers were poor...blah blah blah."

Guess what. War has never been about what individual soldiers think. Soldiers opinions are not what war is fought over.

If you actually think the civil war wasn't about slavery you are either

1) a fool
2) racist or
3) have an agenda.

Those are the only possible options. It can't be anything else. I am not sure which of the three some of you are, but y'all clearly are.

And the Confederate flag has been used as a racist intimidation tactic as long as everyone here has been alive. Stop with the "few people have turned it into a bad thing" narrative. That's BS and if you are not intelligent enough to understand this, there really isn't any help for you, and I pray to God you haven't had children.

Im ready for these people to die off, so we can start to turn Mississippi into something other than embarrassment

Fred Garvin
03-04-2019, 07:26 PM
Maybe we should change our name ... perhaps University of Oktibbeha as a tribute to the dead injuns ****. That way we avoid any confusion with the Univ. of MS.

deadheaddawg
03-04-2019, 07:35 PM
I vote we change our name to Fire Cohen! That way a bunch of our fans can won't have to change their chant

turkish
03-04-2019, 07:43 PM
I don’t like this debate, but I tend to be a little left of center on it. A state shouldn’t be allowed to deny Americans their constitutional rights. The problem is that there have been some pretty impure exploits occur beneath the American flag, too, both before and after 1865.

BeardoMSU
03-04-2019, 07:51 PM
The problem is that there have been some pretty impure exploits occur beneath the American flag, too, both before and after 1865.

Legacy of America and it's flag: ended slavery, defeated fascism (multiple times), as a republic, has been a model for democracy for the rest of the world. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

What's the legacy for the CSA, and it's flag?

Activated Alpha
03-04-2019, 07:53 PM
So back to the topic on hand, how can yall make a change to stop this from happening. Someone was correct earlier in that this does not happen to Michigan and Michigan State.

turkish
03-04-2019, 08:15 PM
Legacy of America and it's flag: ended slavery, defeated fascism (multiple times), as a republic, has been a model for democracy for the rest of the world. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

What's the legacy for the CSA, and it's flag?
Eh. That makes it sound as though the Confederate flag is illegitimate only because it was carried by the losing side. And that it would somehow be legitimate had they won.

But I don’t disagree with your conclusion.

Dawg61
03-04-2019, 10:10 PM
So back to the topic on hand, how can yall make a change to stop this from happening. Someone was correct earlier in that this does not happen to Michigan and Michigan State.

Can't make Ole Miss call themselves Mississippi and you can't make idiots stop confusing the two schools so the best and only option is to stop letting it bother you.

Dawg61
03-04-2019, 10:13 PM
The Civil War was 155 years ago. Let it die already. Imagine all of Europe, Northern Africa and Asia constantly dragging up WW2 towards Japan, Germany, Italy and Russia. Nothing would ever get accomplished ever and that war was only 80 years ago not 155 years ago.

timotheus
03-05-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote of the century. Way to go Bucky.

Dawgology
03-05-2019, 08:26 AM
It's amazing in the year 2019 we still have people trying to distort history to keep their racist flag and heroes.

Do all wars involve lots of little issues someone can point to as a red herring? Yes. If you are stupid enough to believe the civil war wasn't about slavery then you are stupid enough to believe red herring things like "my great great grandpappy wasn't racist and most of the soldiers were poor...blah blah blah."

Guess what. War has never been about what individual soldiers think. Soldiers opinions are not what war is fought over.

If you actually think the civil war wasn't about slavery you are either

1) a fool
2) racist or
3) have an agenda.

Those are the only possible options. It can't be anything else. I am not sure which of the three some of you are, but y'all clearly are.

And the Confederate flag has been used as a racist intimidation tactic as long as everyone here has been alive. Stop with the "few people have turned it into a bad thing" narrative. That's BS and if you are not intelligent enough to understand this, there really isn't any help for you, and I pray to God you haven't had children.

Im ready for these people to die off, so we can start to turn Mississippi into something other than embarrassment

This.

dantheman4248
03-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Can't make Ole Miss call themselves Mississippi and you can't make idiots stop confusing the two schools so the best and only option is to stop letting it bother you.

You can’t stop idiots from being idiots, but you can shame people for not doing their job properly. You go into journalism / reporting of any kind, you should be shamed for getting simple things wrong. Period.

Dawg61
03-05-2019, 11:37 AM
You can’t stop idiots from being idiots, but you can shame people for not doing their job properly. You go into journalism / reporting of any kind, you should be shamed for getting simple things wrong. Period.

That's not called shaming that's called whining.

dantheman4248
03-05-2019, 01:02 PM
That's not called shaming that's called whining.

I’ll agree to that. What shotgun did here is whine, not shame. What should have been done is putting the person responsible on blast.

Dawg61
03-05-2019, 01:08 PM
I’ll agree to that. What shotgun did here is whine, not shame. What should have been done is putting the person responsible on blast.

It's not something that warrants putting someone on blast. Just makes those putting that person on blast look petty.

iPat09
03-05-2019, 01:09 PM
It should be expected to get the name right. What happened to people being held accountable and expected to do a job correctly? If someone constantly called you the wrong name, would it not irritate you? It's not hard for people to call Mississippi State by the right name. Instead, they get lazy and get it wrong a lot, and yet we're the ones in the wrong? It's not about being "offended", it's about having enough respect for someone to call them by the right name. And it's certainly not whining. Whining would imply not getting something your way. This is about something not being done the correct way. Multiple times.

Dawg61
03-05-2019, 01:14 PM
It should be expected to get the name right. What happened to people being held accountable and expected to do a job correctly? If someone constantly called you the wrong name, would it not irritate you? It's not hard for people to call Mississippi State by the right name. Instead, they get lazy and get it wrong a lot, and yet we're the ones in the wrong? It's not about being "offended", it's about having enough respect for someone to call them by the right name. And it's certainly not whining. Whining would imply not getting something your way. This is about something not being done the correct way. Multiple times.

Ok but as soon as you correct one moron another pops up so unless you wanna spend your entire life correcting morons I suggest just not letting it bother you. It'll save you a whole bunch of time and senseless frustration.

Maroonthirteen
03-05-2019, 02:06 PM

I think you hit on something here. State doesn?t have a journalism dept. we have little to no influence over our own instate media. So we are relatively unknown in the world of journalism outside MS. In addition Memphis Birmingham And New Orleans sports media know of us, but don?t give a damn. They have other schools to cover.

Also unfortunately most journalist aren?t sports fans. I?m not making excuses for them either. Just what I think is probably the problem.

notsofarawaydawg
03-05-2019, 03:40 PM
POLITICAL PAGE PLEASE !!

dantheman4248
03-05-2019, 03:42 PM
Ok but as soon as you correct one moron another pops up so unless you wanna spend your entire life correcting morons I suggest just not letting it bother you. It'll save you a whole bunch of time and senseless frustration.

If someone got my name wrong 16, I’d correct them. That’s me though. Most people like being called by their correct name.

Dawg61
03-06-2019, 12:24 AM
If someone got my name wrong 16, I’d correct them. That’s me though. Most people like being called by their correct name.

Ok but simply correcting someone's mistake is far different from putting them on blast over it. Perhaps I should of said not letting it bother you instead of wasting entire days arguing and putting morons on blast over their incorrect use of a name would save you a lot of frustration and time over the course of a lifetime.

BB30
03-06-2019, 10:35 AM

So only rednecks are racist? What about non racist rednecks, do you have a problem with them as well? Why single out rednecks? What defines a redneck for you? **

As for the discussion, yes, people of any socioeconomic background that don't think the name etc. is racist are pretty ignorant.

I know a many a fine redneck that aren't racist though and I know several "classy", "college educated""old money" people that are racist.

deadheaddawg
03-06-2019, 12:29 PM
So only rednecks are racist? What about non racist rednecks, do you have a problem with them as well? Why single out rednecks? What defines a redneck for you? **

Do you have trouble reading or is it a comprehension issue? I never said or implied only rednecks or racist. Or that all rednecks are racist.

You brought that up, either because you are not smart enough to read and comprehend, or because you were being cute and tried some gotcha moment. Which you failed miserably at .

I singled out rednecks because we are talking about the Confederate flag. Let me spell this out so your simple mind can understand. Lots of people are racist. Lots of rednecks are not

But if you support the Confederate flag you are both a racist and a redneck (or possibly have a financial/political motivation)

But if you honestly support the flag with no agenda, You can't be anything else. You are a racist redneck.

And that black dude that waves the flag in Oxford has an agenda. He is an attention whore, so before anyone goes trying to prove the flag isn't racist because a couple of black guys support it, save your breath. You are wrong and obviously a dumbass

BB30
03-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Do you have trouble reading or is it a comprehension issue? I never said or implied only rednecks or racist. Or that all rednecks are racist.

You brought that up, either because you are not smart enough to read and comprehend, or because you were being cute and tried some gotcha moment. Which you failed miserably at .

I singled out rednecks because we are talking about the Confederate flag. Let me spell this out so your simple mind can understand. Lots of people are racist. Lots of rednecks are not

But if you support the Confederate flag you are both a racist and a redneck (or possibly have a financial/political motivation)

But if you honestly support the flag with no agenda, You can't be anything else. You are a racist redneck.

And that black dude that waves the flag in Oxford has an agenda. He is an attention whore, so before anyone goes trying to prove the flag isn't racist because a couple of black guys support it, save your breath. You are wrong and obviously a dumbass

Do you still live in Mississippi? Many "college educated", "classy", "never chewed tobacco", people were in defense of the flag. That doesn't make them "rednecks" just racist. It's really simple, I know your struggling with the idea that a generalization of entire groups is in fact pretty ignorant in and of itself. You know some non racist rednecks may take offense to you lumping all of those racist folk into their category.****

As for reading comprehension, you apparently missed the part where I mentioned I was in agreement with you on the issue. I made the statement about rednecks simply because you kept continually repeating the word redneck for no apparent reason as if some poor redneck did something to you in your past.

But don't let me stop you from a good angry rant continue on. Try not to let those snowflake rednecks get you all worked up.

deadheaddawg
03-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Do you still live in Mississippi? Many "college educated", "classy", "never chewed tobacco", people were in defense of the flag. That doesn't make them "rednecks" just racist. It's really simple, I know your struggling with the idea that a generalization of entire groups is in fact pretty ignorant in and of itself. You know some non racist rednecks may take offense to you lumping all of those racist folk into their category.****

As for reading comprehension, you apparently missed the part where I mentioned I was in agreement with you on the issue. I made the statement about rednecks simply because you kept continually repeating the word redneck for no apparent reason as if some poor redneck did something to you in your past.

But don't let me stop you from a good angry rant continue on. Try not to let those snowflake rednecks get you all worked up.

I'm sorry you are upset I lumped you in with the racist rednecks.

I'm suprised you didn't realize a person can be college education, classy, and tobacco free and still be a redneck.

Again, not all rednecks are racist. You appear to be one that isn't.

That word really has you triggered for some Reason though. Do you feel your people have been unfairly treated? Is it a difficult life to be in that "group"?

I'm fascinated at your sensitivity to this word. Maybe if I can learn why you are so upset, I can use it to help when my kids get butthurt over name calling.