PDA

View Full Version : D1baseball article on "MSU's elite pitching" in the Frisco tourney

CadaverDawg
03-03-2019, 11:19 PM
Scroll past the Sam Houston State stuff and you'll see it...

https://d1baseball.com/columns/frisco-day-2-shsus-grit-msus-arms-stand-out/

Todd4State
03-03-2019, 11:24 PM
What may happen once SEC play starts is we see Gordon used as the closer on Friday and Sunday and White used as the closer on Saturday.

We'll see- this team is still evolving.

The hitting is going to be interesting too because if I remember from last year Gautreau's style is to let guys go out there and fail first and then once they see that their way doesn't work, break them down and build them back up. It could very well be that a guy like Gunner Halter has a much better second half than first because of it.

ScoobaDawg
03-03-2019, 11:42 PM
Have to be a member to read the part about MSU.

CadaverDawg
03-03-2019, 11:51 PM
Have to be a member to read the part about MSU.

Oh, my bad. I think if you just sign up for a free account you can read it.

AlSwearengen
03-04-2019, 12:16 AM
Oh, my bad. I think if you just sign up for a free account you can read it.
Couldn’t find a free membership. Can you give cliff notes?

Todd4State
03-04-2019, 12:27 AM
Couldn’t find a free membership. Can you give cliff notes?

From the article:

After watching Mississippi State for three games last weekend and two so far this weekend, I feel comfortable proclaiming that its pitching staff is one of the very best in the country, and I have no doubt it will hold up well through the rigors of SEC play. Small and Ginn clearly give MSU a premier one-two punch atop the rotation — quite possibly the SEC’s best.

And then this:

So the Small-Ginn duo is a great place to start, but the MSU pitching staff also really stands out for its depth and versatility. Keegan James and Peyton Plumlee both have good stuff and plenty of experience as starters, and the bullpen is simply loaded with quality arms. On this day, flame-thrower Colby White fanned two in a perfect eighth, and closer Cole Gordon struck out two in a 1-2-3 ninth, giving him his second save in two days, and third on the season. Gordon once again had a plus curveball going at 74-78 mph, and he hit every spot with his 90-91 fastball. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last 22.2 innings dating back to last season. He has become a marquee closer at the back end of a top-shelf bullpen.

D1Baseball.com likes us and if you are a MSU fan a subscription is well worth it IMO.

The Federalist Engineer
03-04-2019, 06:15 AM
They don't use the "E" word lightly - it's a big deal

Also Tadlock basically said paraphrasing: my guys throw just as hard in practice but there is something else they do that makes them hard to hit .... uh, I wish I had taken that job that preachermatt wanted me to take

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Does the "Scores Pass" for one year for $9.99 mean that you only get College baseball scores? If so, is someone really that dumb to get that? You can find scores most anywhere.

CadaverDawg
03-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Does the "Scores Pass" for one year for $9.99 mean that you only get College baseball scores? If so, is someone really that dumb to get that? You can find scores most anywhere.

I was wondering the same thing. You can click on "scores" on D1baseball's site and see scores for free

sandwolf
03-04-2019, 01:57 PM
I was wondering the same thing. You can click on "scores" on D1baseball's site and see scores for free

I used to use the D1baseball site for scores even from my phone because my Yahoo Sports app didn't have cbb scores, but I recently discovered that the ESPN app does cover college baseball scores so I would recommend downloading that if you don't have it because it is far more convenient.

CadaverDawg
03-04-2019, 04:24 PM
I used to use the D1baseball site for scores even from my phone because my Yahoo Sports app didn't have cbb scores, but I recently discovered that the ESPN app does cover college baseball scores so I would recommend downloading that if you don't have it because it is far more convenient.

Thanks, good to know. Glad to see baseball added, I hope it continues to grow in popularity