PDA

View Full Version : To go even further on our pitching

CadaverDawg
03-03-2019, 01:00 PM
Let's assume we played today....

Who all did we use up arm wise through 2 games, and who would be available today? Let's list them, bc it is scary how good and deep the arms would be today even after having 2 games against very good opponents this weekend. In other words, if this were game 3 of an SEC series, who could still give us an out or more today?

CadaverDawg
03-03-2019, 01:03 PM
James
Cerentola
Plumlee
Liebelt
Barlow
Eagan
Smith
Price
Self
White again?
Cole again?
Who am I leaving out?

It's incredible the arsenal we have in a 3 game series, or even a Regional weekend. If we can keep pitchers healthy and get 6+ out of Small & Ginn, we are going to be hell from a pitching standpoint. It's crazy

Choctaw Dawg
03-03-2019, 01:18 PM
Prolly wouldn't use cole again unless we went deep in extras since he had pitched the two days before

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Prolly wouldn't use cole again unless we went deep in extras since he had pitched the two days before

Yeah my guess would be James for 4-5, Eagan for 1, Barlow for 1, Leibelt for 1, and the last inning or 2 depends on what the score is. Could see Self or Price or Smith

That's till a huge pitching advantage for game 3 of a weekend. I doubt anyone we face in the SEC who will have better arms unless a starter went really long and saved the pen

Bdawg
03-03-2019, 04:30 PM
Having your 2 starters do what they do gives you a lot to work with on Sunday. Quite the luxury and hope most of the weekend series go that way as well.

I seen it dawg
03-03-2019, 06:18 PM
But don't think Cole threw a lot of pitches. He could have went today. He's big and strong.

shoeless joe
03-03-2019, 09:38 PM
A lot of things to like about this team....and pitching tops the list.

I seen it dawg
03-03-2019, 09:57 PM
There is life after henderson a lot of people are realizing.

Todd4State
03-03-2019, 10:39 PM
There is life after henderson a lot of people are realizing.

Yeah. There was a reason why a lot of fans criticized him and why Cohen criticized him on the air and also why he wasn't brought back.

I think when we look back on last year's team a lot of our fans are going to realize that the reason we don't have a National Title from that team was because of our pitching and catching performance. We were very fortunate because a lot of our comebacks had to happen because we misused our pitching staff and bullpen when we should have won without the drama.

shoeless joe
03-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Yeah. There was a reason why a lot of fans criticized him and why Cohen criticized him on the air and also why he wasn't brought back.

I think when we look back on last year's team a lot of our fans are going to realize that the reason we don't have a National Title from that team was because of our pitching and catching performance. We were very fortunate because a lot of our comebacks had to happen because we misused our pitching staff and bullpen when we should have won without the drama.

Holy shit...

Last years team in no way shape or form should have gone to Omaha. Henderson did a great job of leading this team and allowing guys like gotro to do his job. I’m glad we had him last yr and I’m glad we have the staff we have this year. Henderson did some things that definitely deserved some criticism but to claim that he’s the reason we didn’t win a title is beyond asinine.

BrunswickDawg
03-04-2019, 08:31 AM

Holy shit...

Last years team in no way shape or form should have gone to Omaha. Henderson did a great job of leading this team and allowing guys like gotro to do his job. I?m glad we had him last yr and I?m glad we have the staff we have this year. Henderson did some things that definitely deserved some criticism but to claim that he?s the reason we didn?t win a title is beyond asinine.

Both can be true -

Henderson did a great job of steadying the team and the atmosphere after the Cann meltdown. It was obvious the team was completely unprepared headed into the season and we muddled our way thru the first two months. Gary did a great job getting us on track and getting the guys to believe in their talent. Most teams having gone thru what we did would have never recovered and it is miraculous we made it to Omaha.

However - his pitching decisions were suspect all season. His approach with the pitchers nibbling at the corners led to a lot of walks and took us out of a lot of winnable games. He didn't seem to have an ounce of aggression in his approach, which also cost us. We won on guts and talent last season - especially in the post season. And you saw little improvement with pitching as the season went on - while our hitters got significantly better under Jake's tutelage.

And, you can see the difference in this year and last year immediately- this team was primed via the off season. We are aggressive with our pitching approach, our hitting approach, our base running. We aren't making anywhere near the mental mistakes of last year. Our pitching is lights out because we are going after the hitters. Lemonis was handed the keys to a Dodge Hellcat - and he is racing like he knows what to do with it.

shoeless joe
03-04-2019, 09:12 AM
Both can be true -

Henderson did a great job of steadying the team and the atmosphere after the Cann meltdown. It was obvious the team was completely unprepared headed into the season and we muddled our way thru the first two months. Gary did a great job getting us on track and getting the guys to believe in their talent. Most teams having gone thru what we did would have never recovered and it is miraculous we made it to Omaha.

However - his pitching decisions were suspect all season. His approach with the pitchers nibbling at the corners led to a lot of walks and took us out of a lot of winnable games. He didn't seem to have an ounce of aggression in his approach, which also cost us. We won on guts and talent last season - especially in the post season. And you saw little improvement with pitching as the season went on - while our hitters got significantly better under Jake's tutelage.

And, you can see the difference in this year and last year immediately- this team was primed via the off season. We are aggressive with our pitching approach, our hitting approach, our base running. We aren't making anywhere near the mental mistakes of last year. Our pitching is lights out because we are going after the hitters. Lemonis was handed the keys to a Dodge Hellcat - and he is racing like he knows what to do with it.

I’m not arguing Henderson’s shortcomings...I’m saying it’s stupid for anyone to say that he personally prevented us from winning a championship when we’ve never won one in the past, but by God last years team was the team to do it!