PDA

View Full Version : PG

CadaverDawg
03-02-2019, 10:14 PM
Any chance Nick returns? Guys, we can't have Peters playing like he did today. He's killing us. We need Nick back badly...is he done, or is there still hope? Has he been on the bench? We're still good, but Peters will limit our chances drastically if he keeps this trend up.
Sorry if this has been addressed

BeardoMSU
03-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Any chance Nick returns? Guys, we can't have Peters playing like he did today. He's killing us. We need Nick back badly...is he done, or is there still hope? Has he been on the bench? Sorry if this has been addressed

We've honestly been winning in spite of Lamar lately (not today, obviously). It's really baffling. Not sure what's going on with him...

IMissJack
03-02-2019, 10:41 PM
We've honestly been winning in spite of Lamar lately (not today, obviously). It's really baffling. Not sure what's going on with him...

I heard Richard Williams on the broadcast say something like, "sometimes I have difficulty understanding Lamar, the last trip down he puts up a quick off balanced 3 and the next trip makes a steal and has a lay up available, but throws it back out for a three and throws it away." You could tell it was really getting on Williams' nerves as a coach.

CadaverDawg
03-02-2019, 10:44 PM
I heard Richard Williams on the broadcast say something like, "sometimes I have difficulty understanding Lamar, the last trip down he puts up a quick off balanced 3 and the next trip makes a steal and has a lay up available, but throws it back out for a three and throws it away." You could tell it was really getting on Williams' nerves as a coach.

Williams was thinking the same things we all think

Dawg61
03-02-2019, 10:48 PM
Peters has no plan ever. He shakes and bakes and then 17s up.

yjnkdawg
03-02-2019, 10:51 PM
Any chance Nick returns? Guys, we can't have Peters playing like he did today. He's killing us. We need Nick back badly...is he done, or is there still hope? Has he been on the bench? We're still good, but Peters will limit our chances drastically if he keeps this trend up.
Sorry if this has been addressed

Nick wasn't on the bench today, and didn't even make the trip to Auburn. All this is very hush hush, except a few rumors floating around from some who think they are in the know, or want people to believe that they are.

Dawg2003
03-02-2019, 10:51 PM
Lamar is just so inconsistent and undisciplined. He has a lot of talent that he can't figure out how to use.

yjnkdawg
03-02-2019, 10:56 PM
Lamar is just so inconsistent and undisciplined. He has a lot of talent that he can't figure out how to use.

I think he is over thinking the situation now, and trying to make that perfect play.

tcdog70
03-02-2019, 10:58 PM
Where did the LP go that played in the NIT last year. Where has the step back 3 gone? He used to could drive and make a layup, not anymore. What happened? Has his confidence just disappeared?

Dawg61
03-02-2019, 11:10 PM

He's all wasted motion with no plan for how to finish the play. He's a phenomenal talent but he doesn't understand how to use it correctly and he doesn't have a high basketball I.Q. He needs to study Steph Curry. I wish I could find the interview Curry did for ESPN I think a couple of years ago where's he talking about how he constantly studies/perfects no wasted motion. Everything is done for a reason to get to a certain spot on the floor for a shot or pass. No indecision ever or wasted dribbling/moves. It was really a great video to watch him talk about basketball. You can tell he studies the game like Peyton Manning studied football.

Ari Gold
03-02-2019, 11:18 PM
Where did the LP go that played in the NIT last year. Where has the step back 3 gone? He used to could drive and make a layup, not anymore. What happened? Has his confidence just disappeared?

Coaches have figured him out.
He has zero offense besides the 3 ball
He has no pull jumper off the dribble , he can’t finish at the rim , he has no mid range jumper , he can’t go right well. Teams crowd him on the 3 because they know if and when he blows by all he does it’s kick it back out or tries to make Pass In traffic to a big

Like I said In the game thread right now he isn’t even a top 10 PG in the SEC

Irondawg
03-02-2019, 11:19 PM
He's honestly never been great and for the life of me I can't figure out why Howland hasn't tried to recruit a true pass-first PG to at least have on the bench to use when he needs a facilitator or when the current version of LP shows up.

Given what he's recruited at the position I can only guess that it's simply a matter that he wants a dynamic PG and not a heady PG. Obviously he'd like both, but those are hard to find. He wants the next Westbrook. Somehow both Lamar and Holman have regressed to the point of looking worse than most college freshman that are good enough to get in a rotation. Unbelievable being that they have both been touted as NBA draft picks at different times.

MCsMGs
03-02-2019, 11:44 PM
I asked two people today that are VERY close to the situation about Nick...one didn't think we would see him back this year and the other said he would play in the next game. How's that for clearing things up?

msugolf
03-03-2019, 07:50 AM
He has no pull jumper off the dribble , he can’t finish at the rim , he has no mid range jumper , he can’t go right well. Teams crowd him on the 3 because they know if and when he blows by all he does it’s kick it back out or tries to make Pass In traffic to a big

Pretty much spot on. In 3 years he hasn't developed or addressed areas where he was weak. Seems he's just tried to refine what HE thought was his strength -- beating people off the dribble and the 3. And to add, our guards aren't very long so once teams figured out Lamar and Nick then it put us in a bind. We've been able to do a little more with Tyson but he has problems with physical guards and teams that have a lot of motion and screens.

It is what it is right now. Hopefully these new guys coming in will match up to those styles a bit better. If I'm Howland I desperately look at grad transfers for next year, especially PG. Have a feeling we're going to struggle when Q moves on. He's our insta-basket when things aren't working everywhere else.

gravedigger
03-03-2019, 08:31 AM
He's all wasted motion with no plan for how to finish the play. He's a phenomenal talent but he doesn't understand how to use it correctly and he doesn't have a high basketball I.Q. He needs to study Steph Curry. I wish I could find the interview Curry did for ESPN I think a couple of years ago where's he talking about how he constantly studies/perfects no wasted motion. Everything is done for a reason to get to a certain spot on the floor for a shot or pass. No indecision ever or wasted dribbling/moves. It was really a great video to watch him talk about basketball. You can tell he studies the game like Peyton Manning studied football.

Precisely.

MCsMGs
03-03-2019, 10:08 AM
I would like to see us pursue a grad transfer PG too...but given that Coach likes that marketplace(grad transfer) about as much as he likes zone defense, I don't think that's likely.

maroonmania
03-03-2019, 10:21 AM

And the problem with his 3 ball is he still has a lot of games where he can't make hardly ANY. He just becomes dead weight on offense, even moreso than Ado.

basedog
03-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Here is my 2 cents on Lamar. He is a street baller who is immature as a basketball player, his style is more for show. Don't get me wrong, he has talent but he is the type of player who wants to show case his skill. I suppose he has done this all his life and now it's such a bad habit he can't get over it. Very emotional player, BH has a tough situation with Lamar who I think is a good kid but has way to much emotion. Not sure he can slow himself down and play within, he is pressing so hard now and is just lost. We need him like many say, I do think he is a team player but that street ball in him probably want go away and unfortunately will cost him money and really hurts our team play. He is so inconsistent now, not sure what BH will do except he has to play him for lack of depth. I actually like him when he is under control, LOL, I do think he wants to win and he plays hard which I want knock.

CadaverDawg
03-03-2019, 10:44 AM
I would like to see us pursue a grad transfer PG too...but given that Coach likes that marketplace(grad transfer) about as much as he likes zone defense, I don't think that's likely.

Speaking of zone, did anyone else notice we went into zone yesterday one time? All I could think was, "NOW?....now you want to try zone against a team shooting 1000% from 3??", haha. And of course, they immediately hit an open three and we never went back to zone that I saw. Of all teams to try zone on, AU at their place ain't the one. Head scratcher

chef dixon
03-03-2019, 10:51 AM
I am still going to support him. When he plays well we can be quite good. I thought he controlled things well against South Carolina. He is capable, just need to hope he strings a few together at the right time.

tcdog70
03-03-2019, 12:17 PM
I think for some reason LP is way more emotional this year. If he could just mellow out. He still can shoot the 3 if He spots up. If He can hit his first 3 it seems like He can roll. If we are going to do any damage going forward then we have to have LP return to last years form. Wonder if we could bring in a sports psychologist in to work with him?

Dawg61
03-03-2019, 12:50 PM
Speaking of zone, did anyone else notice we went into zone yesterday one time? All I could think was, "NOW?....now you want to try zone against a team shooting 1000% from 3??", haha. And of course, they immediately hit an open three and we never went back to zone that I saw. Of all teams to try zone on, AU at their place ain't the one. Head scratcher

Yea I saw it. It was a 2-3 zone. Maybe a 3-2 zone or 1-3-1 is effective vs Auburn with all their shooters but yeah definitely not the team to try to finally use our zone versus. They have zero paint offense right now with Wiley out.

CadaverDawg
03-03-2019, 12:52 PM
Yea I saw it. It was a 2-3 zone. Maybe a 3-2 zone or 1-3-1 is effective vs Auburn with all their shooters but yeah definitely not the team to try to finally use our zone versus. They have zero paint offense right now with Wiley out.

I couldn't believe it. Of all times to break it out, that literally was probably the worst time all year to have tried it. All I could do was chuckle

Dawg61
03-03-2019, 12:57 PM
I couldn't believe it. Of all times to break it out, that literally was probably the worst time all year to have tried it. All I could do was chuckle

Maybe the idea was to try to protect Peters and Carter from getting their 4th/5th fouls. Idk. It was odd to see all of a sudden but I did get a little excited seeing it too. I just love seeing different defenses used in a game. Different looks for the opposing offense to have to try and figure out. This is where I wish basketball coaches cough cough Howland were a little more like football coaches. If your defense isn't stopping anything try a different one.

CadaverDawg
03-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Maybe the idea was to try to protect Peters and Carter from getting their 4th/5th fouls. Idk. It was odd to see all of a sudden but I did get a little excited seeing it too. I just love seeing different defenses used in a game. Different looks for the opposing offense to have to try and figure out. This is where I wish basketball coaches cough cough Howland were a little more like football coaches. If your defense isn't stopping anything try a different one.

I agree completely about mixing D's. Just thought the timing was awful, ha. Wish Howland taught a 1-3-1, that D was always great when run properly by Stansbury's teams. Kennedy and Kermit both do/did a good job with it too.

JNC23
03-03-2019, 01:06 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was a matchup zone. There was rotation that brought Reggie up to the top of the zone which makes me think it was a 2-3 matchup zone. Still a terrible game to decide to use it and probably more a tactic to confuse them and entice them to take low percentage deep 3s.

For as bad as our perimeter defense was, they gifted us an 8 minute stretch where they took terrible shots from way deep that kept us in it in the first half. Howland May have wanted to take advantage of their undisciplined shooters. Not my favorite move of his this year.