PDA

View Full Version : Witten is returning to the Cowboys

msudawglb
02-28-2019, 01:23 PM
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/witten-ends-retirement-returning-to-cowboys

MetEdDawg
02-28-2019, 01:33 PM
This is absolutely huge for them. Gives Dak that check down comfort blanket he was missing. All of a sudden you have a little momentum going for them.

Got some weapons now. They need a better compliment for Zeke when he's out of the game. Do that and now that offense begins to look pretty scary.

Lord McBuckethead
02-28-2019, 01:39 PM
Like Mark Ingram.

BeardoMSU
02-28-2019, 01:39 PM
This is absolutely huge for them. Gives Dak that check down comfort blanket he was missing. All of a sudden you have a little momentum going for them.

Got some weapons now. They need a better compliment for Zeke when he's out of the game. Do that and now that offense begins to look pretty scary.

Somebody other than Scott Linehan calling plays is the biggest momentum shift of the year for them...

DancingRabbit
02-28-2019, 01:45 PM
May be the fix to the redzone scoring problems.

KOdawg1
02-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Dak really did miss that check down option this year. Witten isn't going to wow you with athletic plays, but he can catch the pass in the middle of the field and fall forward like a tree for positive yards

Homedawg
02-28-2019, 02:15 PM

THe guy is not 25 anymore. Desperation. Not a good move IMO for $5million.

Dawg61
02-28-2019, 02:18 PM
Austin, Beasley and Williams are all free agents too

Commercecomet24
02-28-2019, 02:19 PM
Somebody other than Scott Linehan calling plays is the biggest momentum shift of the year for them...

This!!!!

Homedawg
02-28-2019, 02:21 PM

Beasley is the only one of those worth a crap anyway.

Commercecomet24
02-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Beasley is the only one of those worth a crap anyway.

Yeah Beasley is the Cowboys, Edelman.

KOdawg1
02-28-2019, 02:34 PM
Let Austin and Williams go

parabrave
02-28-2019, 02:39 PM
Witten coming back to be coaching on the field. This is good for Dak mainly because JW can get in there and coach up the young TEs who did have some flashes of being good TEs but need extra help. Witten is going to provide that extra help to them and c also to Dak in the Red Zone. Kinda like I wish Maddux would come back and coach Touisant.

sleepy dawg
02-28-2019, 04:23 PM
This doesn't seem like a very good move to me. Witten was declining quickly at the end of his career and now that he's had a year off, I'm sure the decline has accelerated. I could be wrong, but surely you can find a better check down option or tight end

bulldawg28
02-28-2019, 05:55 PM
Witten brings nothing to the table from a TE perspective other than mentoring. He's past his play making abilities.

Dawg61
02-28-2019, 06:26 PM
If he's only costing $5 mill you take a HOF TE every time.

bulldawg28
02-28-2019, 06:43 PM

He's a shell of himself. Just make him a coach

WSOPdawg
02-28-2019, 07:19 PM

This can't be stated enough. Linehan's unimaginative play calling was the biggest detriment to the Cowboys' O.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-28-2019, 07:33 PM

I disagree. I wouldn't take Mike Ditka, John Mackey, or Kellen Winslow. Nor would I take Jerry Rice at WR. I also wouldn't want Larry Bird on my NBA team. Who cares if he is a HOF TE. Can he still be a serviceable piece on the roster? That's the question. Your opponents don't care how good you USED to be. This is a risk for the Cowboys, and I hope it pays off. And I would take Tyrod Taylor over Joe Namath. Because Joe is old.

BeardoMSU
02-28-2019, 07:37 PM
Wit probably thinks he's going to have a larger role than he'll end up having, but at the end of the day, he knows he's not the player he once was. I'm sure he'll embrace being simply a 3rd down/red-zone weapon, which he'll definitely be valued in, and spend the rest of his time being a great leader and mentor for the younger guys.

Homedawg
02-28-2019, 08:21 PM

That's 5 million that could be spent elsewhere. He's pedestrian at best now.

Dawg61
02-28-2019, 08:47 PM
I disagree. I wouldn't take Mike Ditka, John Mackey, or Kellen Winslow. Nor would I take Jerry Rice at WR. I also wouldn't want Larry Bird on my NBA team. Who cares if he is a HOF TE. Can he still be a serviceable piece on the roster? That's the question. Your opponents don't care how good you USED to be. This is a risk for the Cowboys, and I hope it pays off. And I would take Tyrod Taylor over Joe Namath. Because Joe is old.

Witten is one year removed not thirty years removed like your ridiculous examples

somebodyshotmypaw
02-28-2019, 10:15 PM
Witten is one year removed not thirty years removed like your ridiculous examples

I'm well aware of that. The point is how good he is now, not how good he used to be. Is he a solid TE or a liability? Time will tell. My point that seemed to go over your head is that what he can give you in 2019 matters. Not what he gave you in 2011. You don't just sign folks because they are a HOF TE.

Cowbell
02-28-2019, 10:45 PM
I'm well aware of that. The point is how good he is now, not how good he used to be. Is he a solid TE or a liability? Time will tell. My point that seemed to go over your head is that what he can give you in 2019 matters. Not what he gave you in 2011. You don't just sign folks because they are a HOF TE.

They are not just signing him for that reason. They are signing him for his leadership, maturity, and his ability to coach the young tight ends around him. He will play limited snaps.

Step back and look at the big picture. This shows the cowboys are pushing their chips to the center of the table. This shows that Linehan really was the biggest roadblock. Also, a year off may have his body recovered to where he may be very much ready to go. You need to remember that he was more effective as a blocker than anything.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-28-2019, 10:53 PM
They are not just signing him for that reason. They are signing him for his leadership, maturity, and his ability to coach the young tight ends around him. He will play limited snaps.

Step back and look at the big picture. This shows the cowboys are pushing their chips to the center of the table. This shows that Linehan really was the biggest roadblock. Also, a year off may have his body recovered to where he may be very much ready to go. You need to remember that he was more effective as a blocker than anything.

I don't disagree with anything you said at all. I actually agree. But will it work? Can he still be an effective blocker? Can he play well enough in limited snaps to justify a roster spot? That's the question. If you think he can, then you sign him. But you don't just sign him because he's a future HOFer and was good 6 years ago. Because his roster spot takes one away from someone else. Every snap he takes robs a snap from someone else. The Cowboys should do it because he can still bring value, not because his name is Witten and they remember his glory days.

Dawg61
02-28-2019, 10:58 PM

Witten ranked 7th in the NFL in receptions in 2017 for TEs, 10th in tds and 12th in yards. Witten had more receptions, tds and yards than BOTH of Dallas' top two TEs in 2018 combined. In other words he's not terrible. It's a no-brainer signing.

DancingRabbit
02-28-2019, 11:09 PM
It's $3.5M base. That's not much. Witten will probably be the TE coach next year.

I'm not crazy about it, but it could be a little boost. He's slow as hell now, but on 3rd and medium and in the redzone he could still help. Just last year I saw him basically breaking ankles to get open. Knows how to use his body and has good hands.

parabrave
03-01-2019, 02:24 AM

Exactly.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Witten ranked 7th in the NFL in receptions in 2017 for TEs, 10th in tds and 12th in yards. Witten had more receptions, tds and yards than BOTH of Dallas' top two TEs in 2018 combined. In other words he's not terrible. It's a no-brainer signing.

I never said he was terrible. If I was GM, I might very well sign him also. But his 2017 numbers have nothing to do with 2019. You have to evaluate his current ability, leadership, value, roster spot, etc. You don't just sign him up because he wants to come back.