PDA

View Full Version : Difference between this team and the Final Four team.

drunkernhelldawg
02-27-2019, 11:12 AM
I think this team is deeper. The same kind of run would not shock me. The Final Four team had rough patches in that season, just like this team.

Political Hack
02-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Love the optimism, but I don't think we match up well with some of the longer teams. UK, Duke, UNC, Virginia, and others are too talented IMO. We'd have to beat 1-2 of those likely to make the Final Four. If we were more disciplined with our possessions we'd have a shot.

Rick Danko
02-27-2019, 11:17 AM
Man I love the enthusiasm and would love for you to be right, hope with all my heart you are. But let?s pump the brakes a little bit just because we are cutting up the bottom teams of the SEC.

tcdog70
02-27-2019, 11:51 AM
Man I love the enthusiasm and would love for you to be right, hope with all my heart you are. But let?s pump the brakes a little bit just because we are cutting up the bottom teams of the SEC.

But, if Q makes a free throw we beat LSU in Regulation. We were inches away from Beating KY at home. All it takes for US to go on a roll is for LP to get his groove back.

ScoobaDawg
02-27-2019, 11:58 AM
Sweet 16 seems about right for this team but I won't complain if we only win 1. We are back on track.

drunkernhelldawg
02-27-2019, 12:06 PM
Our conference record was 10-6. Late season losses included Ole Miss and Vanderbilt.

We dropped out of the Top 25 for one or two weeks following the loss to Ole Miss. There were questions as to whether we'd make the tourney.

smootness
02-27-2019, 12:09 PM
This team has had a relatively similar regular season as the FF team. The difference, IMO, is that at the end of the year, the FF team was clearly much better than their regular season record indicated. I can't say the same for this team.

This year's team is a good team that could lose 1st round or win a couple and make the Sweet 16. I don't see our ceiling being any higher than that, honestly. That FF team was clearly capable of that kind of a run, especially after pounding one of the greatest college basketball teams of all time.

This team doesn't have a Dontae Jones. I like Q, but he's not the same guy. We don't have a Dampier, even though Perry has been looking good lately. And we don't have a Darryl Wilson. We are a solid, good, fairly deep team this year. But we don't have the top-end guys that team had.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-27-2019, 12:13 PM
I think this team is deeper. The same kind of run would not shock me. The Final Four team had rough patches in that season, just like this team.

The team I think that is built for a run in the Tournament is LSU. When you fill out your bracket, there is one to watch. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Final Four.

drunkernhelldawg
02-27-2019, 12:15 PM
This team has had a relatively similar regular season as the FF team. The difference, IMO, is that at the end of the year, the FF team was clearly much better than their regular season record indicated. I can't say the same for this team.

This year's team is a good team that could lose 1st round or win a couple and make the Sweet 16. I don't see our ceiling being any higher than that, honestly. That FF team was clearly capable of that kind of a run, especially after pounding one of the greatest college basketball teams of all time.

This team doesn't have a Dontae Jones. I like Q, but he's not the same guy. We don't have a Dampier, even though Perry has been looking good lately. And we don't have a Darryl Wilson. We are a solid, good, fairly deep team this year. But we don't have the top-end guys that team had.

I do agree about Dampier although Perry has been playing large.

Political Hack
02-27-2019, 12:35 PM
The team I think that is built for a run in the Tournament is LSU. When you fill out your bracket, there is one to watch. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Final Four.

Me either. An electric PG and a stud 5. That's the recipe.

StarkVegasSteve
02-27-2019, 12:40 PM
I've told people for two weeks this team has a 2011 Connecticut look to it. The comparisons are there.

Kemba-Q. While Q isn't the dynamic player that Kemba was, they both find ways to get the ball in the goal and have the ability to take over for large stretches of the game.

Napier and Lamb- Perry and Woodard. Freshman coming along and starting to peak at the perfect time.

If we can get Nick back and get Lamar going scoring wise. Watch out.

shannondawg
02-27-2019, 12:42 PM
We even lost to Ark State that year.

Our conference record was 10-6. Late season losses included Ole Miss and Vanderbilt.

We dropped out of the Top 25 for one or two weeks following the loss to Ole Miss. There were questions as to whether we'd make the tourney.

Scared_Hitless
02-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Really enjoy the run we are on, but I am not seeing a deep tourney run yet. We still hit long stretches on offense that make you scratch your head. If Lamar can get back to December form I think we can play with just about anyone. Hopefully we get a nice bracket and make some noise.

smootness
02-27-2019, 12:53 PM
I've told people for two weeks this team has a 2011 Connecticut look to it. The comparisons are there.

Kemba-Q. While Q isn't the dynamic player that Kemba was, they both find ways to get the ball in the goal and have the ability to take over for large stretches of the game.

Napier and Lamb- Perry and Woodard. Freshman coming along and starting to peak at the perfect time.

If we can get Nick back and get Lamar going scoring wise. Watch out.

Yeah, and this is not a bad comparison.

The issue, and it's the same issue as comparisons with the 96 team, is that - like you said - Q just isn't Kemba, and he isn't Dontae Jones. He is a very good college player, but come the end of the year, Dontae Jones very well may have been the best player in the country. And Kemba was probably the best player in the country in 11.

Q is good, but he isn't at that level, and Kemba and Dontae Jones both carried their teams to where they ended up.

PMDawg
02-27-2019, 01:03 PM

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone made a similar comparison.

ETA: Including the times I've done it myself!

Liverpooldawg
02-27-2019, 01:04 PM

The Final Four team was upperclassman heavy. It was WAY more talented in the starting 5 than this team, WAY more. there is nobody on this team that would have started for the 96 team, and that incudes Peters. The key for that team was when the light finally went on for Donte Jones. When he bought in that team was as good as any team in the country that year, and they proved it.

Liverpooldawg
02-27-2019, 01:06 PM

That Arkansas State team had two NBA players, one of whom had a long career, on it.

Liverpooldawg
02-27-2019, 01:07 PM

We don't have a Russell Walters or a Marcus Bullard either.

Cloak
02-27-2019, 01:11 PM
The key to me is Peters. If he plays lights out, we can beat anyone. If he plays cold, we can get beat by anyone.

StarkVegasSteve
02-27-2019, 01:40 PM

The issue, and it's the same issue as comparisons with the 96 team, is that - like you said - Q just isn't Kemba, and he isn't Dontae Jones. He is a very good college player, but come the end of the year, Dontae Jones very well may have been the best player in the country. And Kemba was probably the best player in the country in 11.

Q is good, but he isn't at that level, and Kemba and Dontae Jones both carried their teams to where they ended up.

I agree with you on that. We have to have someone else step up consistently and be that 3rd major contributor for us outside of Q and Perry. Whether that be Lamar, Tyson, Nick coming back, or Woodard taking the next step and being another double double guy for us.

Dawg61
02-27-2019, 01:42 PM
Idk if I'd say the 96 team was way more talented. Perhaps more talented 1-5 but I don't think more talented 1-8. We have an NBA draft pick coming off the bench for us this year.

smootness
02-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Idk if I'd say the 96 team was way more talented. Perhaps more talented 1-5 but I don't think more talented 1-8. We have an NBA draft pick coming off the bench for us this year.

We had 2 guys who were 1st round picks that summer. This team may have one 1st round pick at all, and he's a freshman.

You may argue that 6-8 on this team are more talented, but that doesn't mean they're more talented 1-8. The 96 team clearly had more talent overall.

Johnson85
02-27-2019, 01:43 PM

Q is darryl wilson or better. Lamar can be close to Bullard (Bullard I would say was much steadier until he shit the bed against Syracuse). But Dampier and Dontae were both NBA talents that stayed and should have stayed (if he had cared more) in the league for a long time, respectively. We do have a little better depth, and much better depth if Nick comes back. Not sure that matters as much as having the top end talent though.

LC Dawg
02-27-2019, 02:30 PM
In 96 the light came on for Dontae and he started playing out of his mind. The only current player that could happen with in my opinion is Peters. He's got talent that often does not show up. I think our other players use most of their talents even though they don't always play well. Lamar has flashes that make him look like an all american but they are only flashes. He is mind numbingly inconsistent. I don't actually think he can turn the switch but look out if he does.

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2019, 02:44 PM

Dontae was very streaky. Q doesn't score as flashy but Q has been leading the SEC in scoring in conference games and no one would know. You think he is having an ok game and don't notice that he has 25 points and 8 rebounds. He probably has more game winners than anyone else in the SEC.

Comparing by position:

Dampier > Ado. No question that Dampier was better than Ado is now. Ado doesn't have the strength that Damp did and he is not anywhere close to polished like he was.

Perry > Russell Walters. Offensively those guys aren't in the same gym. Walters was defense, rebounding, and putting back garbage buckets.

Q > Dontae Jones. Dontae rarely played defense and was extremely streaky. He was big in some wins but Q is consistently putting up 20-30 points every game to go along with 6-8 rebounds.

Tyson Carter < Darryl Wilson. Super D is one of the best shooters in school history. Tyson is good and might have a better overall game but Super D was big in the run to the Final Four.

Peters = Bullard. Peters is a good shooter when he looks for his shot. Bullard was also a good shooter. Both play good defense. Bullard was probably the better overall scorer but also had a lot more turnover issues. We are playing for a national title if Bullard is better with the ball.

Grant > Woodard. I give the nod due to experience more than anything.

Hyche < Nick Witherspoon. I include him just in case he is coming off the bench. Better overall game but Hyche was a great spark plug off the bench.

Holman > Tyrone Washington. Better range and experience.

Just my opinion but this team probably has about the same talent level. Whether they put it together is another issue. This team can play for the Final Four or get bounced in the first round and neither would be that big a surprise to me.

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2019, 02:48 PM
In 96 the light came on for Dontae and he started playing out of his mind. The only current player that could happen with in my opinion is Peters. He's got talent that often does not show up. I think our other players use most of their talents even though they don't always play well. Lamar has flashes that make him look like an all american but they are only flashes. He is mind numbingly inconsistent. I don't actually think he can turn the switch but look out if he does.

Peters and Holman have that type of ability but neither has lived up to the hype. Holman at the beginning of the year was being mentioned as a first round pick. When he is hitting 40% from 3 and being aggressive in the paint, he is a first round talent. If both go back to hitting 35-40% from three and going 100% then this team can hang with just about anyone.

smootness
02-27-2019, 03:08 PM
Dontae was very streaky. Q doesn't score as flashy but Q has been leading the SEC in scoring in conference games and no one would know. You think he is having an ok game and don't notice that he has 25 points and 8 rebounds. He probably has more game winners than anyone else in the SEC.

Comparing by position:

Dampier > Ado. No question that Dampier was better than Ado is now. Ado doesn't have the strength that Damp did and he is not anywhere close to polished like he was.

Perry > Russell Walters. Offensively those guys aren't in the same gym. Walters was defense, rebounding, and putting back garbage buckets.

Q > Dontae Jones. Dontae rarely played defense and was extremely streaky. He was big in some wins but Q is consistently putting up 20-30 points every game to go along with 6-8 rebounds.

Tyson Carter < Darryl Wilson. Super D is one of the best shooters in school history. Tyson is good and might have a better overall game but Super D was big in the run to the Final Four.

Peters = Bullard. Peters is a good shooter when he looks for his shot. Bullard was also a good shooter. Both play good defense. Bullard was probably the better overall scorer but also had a lot more turnover issues. We are playing for a national title if Bullard is better with the ball.

Hyche < Nick Witherspoon. I include him just in case he is coming off the bench. Better overall game but Hyche was a great spark plug off the bench.

Just my opinion but this team probably has about the same talent level. Whether they put it together is another issue. This team can play for the Final Four or get bounced in the first round and neither would be that big a surprise to me.

I just don't see how you can simply say that Dampier > Ado and Q > Dontae Jones and pretend they basically cancel each other out.

Dampier >>>>>>>>>>> Ado

And I would certainly argue Dontae Jones was better (or at the very least, better when he was on, like against UK in the SECT, which is the very reason we won it).

Dampier, Jones, Wilson, Bullard, Walters >> Q, Perry, Peters, Carter, Ado. I don't know how you could argue differently.

Johnson85
02-27-2019, 03:21 PM

Comparing by position:

Q is not better than Dontae was at the end of the year. Dontae basically shut Ray Allen down. Nobody on our team this year has the athleticism to do that.

I don't think Bullard had turnover problems compared to Peters. He shit the bed against Syracuse. I don't remember him being a problem before that.

It's not necessarily a fair comparison b/c you are talking about comparing the 96 team when they were at their peak to today's team which hopefully hasn't yet hit its peak. But I don't see the potential for this team to play like the 96 team at its peak.

We don't have anything like Dampier or Dontae. Even if Nick comes back and we start clicking on all cylinders, I'm not sure that matches having two talents like Dampier and Dontae when they are supported by strong role players. We'd have to have Perry and Woodard take a nice step forward towards their potential and Holman start playing hard on D and living up to his potential, then I could believe that maybe how strong we are 1-8 might overcome the advantage the 96 team has at the top 2.

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2019, 04:30 PM
Q is not better than Dontae was at the end of the year. Dontae basically shut Ray Allen down. Nobody on our team this year has the athleticism to do that.

I don't think Bullard had turnover problems compared to Peters. He shit the bed against Syracuse. I don't remember him being a problem before that.

It's not necessarily a fair comparison b/c you are talking about comparing the 96 team when they were at their peak to today's team which hopefully hasn't yet hit its peak. But I don't see the potential for this team to play like the 96 team at its peak.

We don't have anything like Dampier or Dontae. Even if Nick comes back and we start clicking on all cylinders, I'm not sure that matches having two talents like Dampier and Dontae when they are supported by strong role players. We'd have to have Perry and Woodard take a nice step forward towards their potential and Holman start playing hard on D and living up to his potential, then I could believe that maybe how strong we are 1-8 might overcome the advantage the 96 team has at the top 2.

Allen had 22 points so I don't know what your version of shutting him down but it is different than mine.

Bullard had 6, 0, 3, 3, 9 turnovers so other than the first game and Syracuse, he wasn't as bad as I remember. Oddly enough, Dontae didn't have as many points as I thought either. He had 27 points one game but other than that it was around 13-16 points.

Dontae was very physically gifted similar to X Stapleton was but a better shooter. Q is a better shooter than Dontae was.

Looking at the old box scores lets me know my memory isn't great. Super D only had one game above 20 points with him scoring 27 against UConn and 20 against Syracuse. We typically were low scoring grind it out.

I don't think we have a low post guy like Dampier that can alter a team like that. Of course he did play in the NBA for over a decade so he was very talented.

I think the 96 team played a lot better defense but this year's team has a lot more potential to score. I agree that we were playing our best basketball down the stretch so hopefully this year's team keeps improving. This team does have an advantage that we can put a lineup that all has the ability to hit the 3 and stretch the defense when we put Holman and Perry on the floor at one time.

One big key will be if Nick comes back and if Holman and Peters play up to potential.

Cooterpoot
02-27-2019, 05:05 PM
Ya'll smoking crack.

klong-dog
02-27-2019, 06:59 PM
What I'm glad to see if the improvement of Ado these last 3/4 games. His defense has been great and he's coming along nicely offensively. Making some good strong moves to the basket and finishing. The key is Peters and Holman picking their game up. But I do think if we're truly going to make a deep run, we need Nick back. From the depth factor stand point and just having that lock down defender to be able, put on the top opposing guard.

Homedawg
02-27-2019, 07:12 PM

Final 4 ream had a rim protector. This one has ado which is a huge drop off. This is an ok team and might make a run. But I can't see past the first weekend being realistic.

Homedawg
02-27-2019, 07:14 PM

96 team had two first rounders and a legit deep threat. And I'd take Bullard over peters any day of the week....... Who? The only sure fire nba guy is Perry. I guess you are saying Woodard? We shall see. He has the body. No doubt

Homedawg
02-27-2019, 07:18 PM

Comparing by position:

Grant wasn't even on the team. He graduated in 95. But q isn't, wasn't better than dontae. And Bullard is better than peters.

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2019, 07:44 PM
Grant wasn't even on the team. He graduated in 95. But q isn't, wasn't better than dontae. And Bullard is better than peters.

That is what I get for just trying to go from memory. Peters is a better ball handler than Bullard was and Peters has proven he can shoot probably about as well. I probably give the nod on defense but Peters is pretty good on D.

You do realize that Q is the leading scorer in SEC games for the conference? He is quietly having one of the best seasons MSU has had in quite a while.

chef dixon
02-27-2019, 07:51 PM
You can't make this comparison. Everyone is going to remember how that team played when they were going on an incredible run and this team so far in a regular season won't stack up.

What's smoking crack though is saying so easily Q wouldn't start on that team. He's pushing 19 a game and >50% overall and >40% from 3.

Liverpooldawg
02-27-2019, 07:52 PM
Q is darryl wilson or better. Lamar can be close to Bullard (Bullard I would say was much steadier until he shit the bed against Syracuse). But Dampier and Dontae were both NBA talents that stayed and should have stayed (if he had cared more) in the league for a long time, respectively. We do have a little better depth, and much better depth if Nick comes back. Not sure that matters as much as having the top end talent though.

Q doesnt doesn't mean nearly as much to this team as Wilson did to that one. Q isn't as consistent as Wilson was, and it's not close. He isn't as good a defender either. There is nobody this year that could have broken the starting lineup in 96. Most of them would have been ahead of any of the subs, but then we didn't sub much that year.

Homedawg
02-27-2019, 07:53 PM
That is what I get for just trying to go from memory. Peters is a better ball handler than Bullard was and Peters has proven he can shoot probably about as well. I probably give the nod on defense but Peters is pretty good on D.

You do realize that Q is the leading scorer in SEC games for the conference? He is quietly having one of the best seasons MSU has had in quite a while.

Not knocking Q. But d Jones was a matchup nightmare at his side and athleticism. Nobody could guard him down the stretch. There is a reason he went in the first round.

chef dixon
02-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Q doesnt doesn't mean nearly as much to this team as Wilson did to that one. Q isn't as consistent as Wilson was, and it's not close. He isn't as good a defender either. There is nobody this year that could have broken the starting lineup in 96. Most of them would have been ahead of any of the subs, but then we didn't sub much that year.

Look at Q's game log this year and get back to me. Not consistent enough or vital to our team? Not even saying he's better than Wilson but you are way off on that assessment.

Liverpooldawg
02-27-2019, 08:10 PM

Comparing by position:

Dampier was in another galaxy from Ado
Walters was a MUCH better defender and rebounder than Perry. Perry is the only one of our starters that might have played really significant minutes in 96.
Donte Jones AFTER THE LIGHT WENT ON was WAY better than Q. WAY BETTER. Q stands out because he is currently the best player on an average/good team. Jones stood out in what down the stretch was an excellent team.
Darryl Wilson was the second best shooter to ever play at MSU behind Jeff Malone. He was also a fantastic defender.
Bullard was stronger, and more consistent than Peters.
The whole bunch in 1996 was just tougher than this bunch. We they set screens they were SET. They ALL, even Jones once he got it, defended like their lives depended on denying passes and passing lanes. I miss seeing that. 1-5 96 was light years ahead of 19.

klong-dog
02-27-2019, 09:38 PM
Look at Q's game log this year and get back to me. Not consistent enough or vital to our team? Not even saying he's better than Wilson but you are way off on that assessment.

I agree. Q has been about as consistent as anyone in the league this year. Will be unanimous 1st team ALL SEC. I bet finish in the top 3 for SEC player of the year. Super D was an amazing shooter and player for us but Q scores at all 3 levels and is pretty damn clutch as well. How many game winners now in his career?

gravedigger
02-27-2019, 09:52 PM

Final 4 team had role players that played them. Rebounding was the premium commodity. DJ was electric but Wilson and Dampier played the inside out to near perfection. Press? Dampier slam down low. Collapse with a zone? Wilson would hit 3 straight 3s.

Big country crashed the boards and allowed others to shoot without worry.

This team is pretty talented. Could make a run. But that team in its best night would tear this one up.

I think the Lawrence Roberts team that was what, a 2-3 seed?....that was better than the final 4 team.

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2019, 10:42 PM
Not knocking Q. But d Jones was a matchup nightmare at his side and athleticism. Nobody could guard him down the stretch. There is a reason he went in the first round.

You might want to look at the box scores. Dontae had 13,11, 13, 23, and 16 points. Something tells me that Q can at least match that.

smootness
02-27-2019, 10:47 PM
You might want to look at the box scores. Dontae had 13,11, 13, 23, and 16 points. Something tells me that Q can at least match that.

It was a slightly different era. We scored 58, 63, 60, 73, and 69 points in a Final Four run.

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2019, 11:17 PM
It was a slightly different era. We scored 58, 63, 60, 73, and 69 points in a Final Four run.

That was partially due to Richard Williams style of play. We played good defense and grinded it out. Howland has a more steal and fast break kind of mentality.

Also most of our wins are scores in the 60s and 70s so not that much more scoring. Q has been held to 14 twice and that is the least in SEC play. We will see what happens but Q is more than likely the #2 scorer in MSU history for a reason.

RougeDawg
02-27-2019, 11:48 PM
Dampier was in another galaxy from Ado
Walters was a MUCH better defender and rebounder than Perry. Perry is the only one of our starters that might have played really significant minutes in 96.
Donte Jones AFTER THE LIGHT WENT ON was WAY better than Q. WAY BETTER. Q stands out because he is currently the best player on an average/good team. Jones stood out in what down the stretch was an excellent team.
Darryl Wilson was the second best shooter to ever play at MSU behind Jeff Malone. He was also a fantastic defender.
Bullard was stronger, and more consistent than Peters.
The whole bunch in 1996 was just tougher than this bunch. We they set screens they were SET. They ALL, even Jones once he got it, defended like their lives depended on denying passes and passing lanes. I miss seeing that. 1-5 96 was light years ahead of 19.

Ha ha ha. How can anyone take you seriously making comments like this? Q is most likely going to be a draft pick this summer. You never cease to amaze. Well done. The bar has been upped yet again.

Cooterpoot
02-28-2019, 06:17 AM
Q won?t get drafted in the first round. He?ll be lucky to be drafted. This team in no way looks like a final 4 team and couldn’t stay on the floor with our Final 4 team.
Let’s see how we finish the regular season and SEC tournament.

Johnson85
02-28-2019, 07:42 AM
Allen had 22 points so I don't know what your version of shutting him down but it is different than mine.

Bullard had 6, 0, 3, 3, 9 turnovers so other than the first game and Syracuse, he wasn't as bad as I remember. Oddly enough, Dontae didn't have as many points as I thought either. He had 27 points one game but other than that it was around 13-16 points.

Dontae was very physically gifted similar to X Stapleton was but a better shooter. Q is a better shooter than Dontae was.

Looking at the old box scores lets me know my memory isn't great. Super D only had one game above 20 points with him scoring 27 against UConn and 20 against Syracuse. We typically were low scoring grind it out.

I don't think we have a low post guy like Dampier that can alter a team like that. Of course he did play in the NBA for over a decade so he was very talented.

I think the 96 team played a lot better defense but this year's team has a lot more potential to score. I agree that we were playing our best basketball down the stretch so hopefully this year's team keeps improving. This team does have an advantage that we can put a lineup that all has the ability to hit the 3 and stretch the defense when we put Holman and Perry on the floor at one time.

One big key will be if Nick comes back and if Holman and Peters play up to potential.
Shut down might be strong, but he caused a really good NBA player to shot 9 for 25.

Liverpooldawg
02-28-2019, 09:23 AM

Q gets lost on defense and much of what he does on offense is because he is at times the only guy that can do anything. That leads to a lot of points. He is vital to THIS team, but Wilson was a better player overall on a better team. Again, Wilson is the second best shooter to ever play here, and that's only because Jeff Malone was in a league of his own. The thing that always gets overlooked about Wilson is how good a defender he was. Q ain't even CLOSE there.

Liverpooldawg
02-28-2019, 09:26 AM
Ha ha ha. How can anyone take you seriously making comments like this? Q is most likely going to be a draft pick this summer. You never cease to amaze. Well done. The bar has been upped yet again.

We will see. I'm not sure he gets drafted. The 96 team would beat this team by 20 at least, and this team is the best one we have had in a while.

Liverpooldawg
02-28-2019, 09:29 AM

Teams actually played defense back then. It's one reason I really don't like college basketball now. Teams now would have a VERY hard time with teams back then.

Added: We were a half court team back then. This team isn't. Slower pace leads to less scoring. Also wasn't the shot clock longer back then?

Dawg61
02-28-2019, 10:10 AM
Teams actually played defense back then. It's one reason I really don't like college basketball now. Teams now would have a VERY hard time with teams back then.

Added: We were a half court team back then. This team isn't. Slower pace leads to less scoring. Also wasn't the shot clock longer back then?

Teams aren't allowed to play defense now like they could in 96. I do think the officiating has gotten a lot better this year though. I don't find myself getting nearly as frustrated with all the foul calls as I was the previous couple of years.

drunkernhelldawg
02-28-2019, 10:25 AM

That 69 will always sting. We left so many points on the floor . . .

chef dixon
02-28-2019, 10:49 AM
Q gets lost on defense and much of what he does on offense is because he is at times the only guy that can do anything. That leads to a lot of points. He is vital to THIS team, but Wilson was a better player overall on a better team. Again, Wilson is the second best shooter to ever play here, and that's only because Jeff Malone was in a league of his own. The thing that always gets overlooked about Wilson is how good a defender he was. Q ain't even CLOSE there.

So if he is the only one that can do it on this team he must be just jacking up all kinds of shots right? But he is somehow a 50%, 40%, 80% guy. Probably only a handful of players in the country that can say that. You are basing your eval of him on assumptions you have made watching him over the last couple of years. He is a different player this year and if you cant see that then I dont know what to tell you. Everyone is also judging the final four players based off a final four run, so it is going to be remembered as fondly as anything in MSU sports history.

tcdog70
02-28-2019, 11:07 AM
We will see. I'm not sure he gets drafted. The 96 team would beat this team by 20 at least, and this team is the best one we have had in a while.

Bullshit---This team would hang right with the 96 team. This is deeper. all Depends on which Donte Jones your get. Ado and Dampier both not much on offense. The 96 team didn't have a Woodard or Carter off the bench--Hyche vs Carter--I'll take Tyson. If LP is playing up to snuff then This team for sure plays with them-might not win but plays close. IMHO--the best team I have seen at he Hump--Ricky Brown-Wiley Peck-Al perry-Ray White-gary Hooker. with Greg grim off the bench. Got screwed because only 1 team fromn SEC went to big dance.

smootness
02-28-2019, 11:41 AM
Bullshit---This team would hang right with the 96 team. This is deeper. all Depends on which Donte Jones your get. Ado and Dampier both not much on offense. The 96 team didn't have a Woodard or Carter off the bench--Hyche vs Carter--I'll take Tyson. If LP is playing up to snuff then This team for sure plays with them-might not win but plays close. IMHO--the best team I have seen at he Hump--Ricky Brown-Wiley Peck-Al perry-Ray White-gary Hooker. with Greg grim off the bench. Got screwed because only 1 team fromn SEC went to big dance.

That 96 team easily dispatched arguably the greatest college basketball team of all time.

I don't care too much about depth in college basketball. It is entirely overrated. As long as your starters are able to play long minutes, who cares about depth. Comparing Dampier to Ado is a joke.

BB30
02-28-2019, 11:45 AM
There is most certainly a chance this team gets hot and makes a run. I don't think you can really compare the two fully until we see what this team does in the tourney. They are the best team we have had in a decade and are trending up.

This group can play with anyone in the country when things are clicking and that alone give you a chance to make a run. They are inconsistent at times but so are the top 2-3 teams in our conference. Yes, we go on scoring droughts but I also remember going on a 19-1 run against LSU and what like a 18-2 run against KY. So apparently KY and LSU had some scoring droughts as well. Thats basketball. This team seems to do a pretty decent job of weathering the storm and figuring things out as the game moves along.

We are also having much more consistent play on the defensive side of the ball. The effort is getting there. These guys have a chance to finish as one of the better teams we have had. Looking back it really won't take much to break into that top 3-4 all time MSU teams. Some of you act like we have this storied basketball history and that is just factually incorrect. This team makes a sweet 16 or elite 8 and there is an argument to be made that they are one of the top 2-3 teams that we have ever put on the floor.

Tbonewannabe
02-28-2019, 11:53 AM
That 96 team easily dispatched arguably the greatest college basketball team of all time.

I don't care too much about depth in college basketball. It is entirely overrated. As long as your starters are able to play long minutes, who cares about depth. Comparing Dampier to Ado is a joke.

This year's team might go on a tear or they might not so I guess we have another month to see what they have.

MSUDAWGFAN
02-28-2019, 11:56 AM

It was UALR. And that UALR team had a player who goes by the name Derek Fisher of Los Angles Lakers fame.

Tbonewannabe
02-28-2019, 12:00 PM

Let's not act like the 96 team just killed everyone they played. They got hot similar to the 2013 baseball team. 2016 was probably a better overall baseball team but we didn't even make Omaha. UConn and Cincinnati were better teams than the Syracuse team we lost to. I think it is a little much saying they would win by at least 20. It would be interesting to see how the 96 team would translate to this style of officiating because Dampier would have to change his game or foul out in the first half.

Tbonewannabe
02-28-2019, 12:03 PM
There is most certainly a chance this team gets hot and makes a run. I don't think you can really compare the two fully until we see what this team does in the tourney. They are the best team we have had in a decade and are trending up.

This group can play with anyone in the country when things are clicking and that alone give you a chance to make a run. They are inconsistent at times but so are the top 2-3 teams in our conference. Yes, we go on scoring droughts but I also remember going on a 19-1 run against LSU and what like a 18-2 run against KY. So apparently KY and LSU had some scoring droughts as well. Thats basketball. This team seems to do a pretty decent job of weathering the storm and figuring things out as the game moves along.

We are also having much more consistent play on the defensive side of the ball. The effort is getting there. These guys have a chance to finish as one of the better teams we have had. Looking back it really won't take much to break into that top 3-4 all time MSU teams. Some of you act like we have this storied basketball history and that is just factually incorrect. This team makes a sweet 16 or elite 8 and there is an argument to be made that they are one of the top 2-3 teams that we have ever put on the floor.

The teams in the 50s and 60s were screwed because of the set up back then. I would definitely agree that this team has a chance to be a top 5 team if they made the elite 8. This team shoots the 3 as well as any we have had in the past. The 96 team had Dampier down low and that is the biggest difference.

StarkVegasSteve
02-28-2019, 01:37 PM
The thing about this team is if Q gets any hotter than he's currently playing he'll be pushing 25-30 pts every game. And I have a feeling big game Lamar is gonna show up when those lights come on in the tourney. If we get Nick back and can get Holman to play like he did in the second half against USCe just watch out. This team can be very dangerous to anyone they play. Remember, we've only lost one game by double digits and have been within a possession in the final minute in every game we've lost this year outside of @UK. These next two games will be a great judge of where we're at as a team. I think we can get the one Saturday if we play like we've been playing and after watching UT last night I'm not so sure we couldn't get that one as well. They're not playing nearly as good as they were November-January.

Liverpooldawg
02-28-2019, 07:27 PM

Dampier was a very consistent double didget performer his last year. 96 wipes the floor, if it's that close. This team would get NOTHING inside on 96. This team hasn't been defended inside or outside like what 96 would do. I've been perfectly honest about Jones. When the light was on, as it was for the last third of that season, he is the best single player ever to play here other than maybe Bailey Howell, who I never saw play. If the light wasn't on, 96 still wins, but it would be closer. This team still would get NOTHING inside. It's not just Dampier. Russell Walters was there as well. He always gets overlooked, but the cat could defend and board VERY well. He could also score in the odd night. I think 96 had better guard play as well, on defense there is no doubt it did.