PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our SWAC-tastic baseball night

Todd4State
02-26-2019, 10:07 PM
Glad to beat JSU after their coach was so ungrateful after we tried to help them out by sending them equipment a few years ago. I hope MSU made them park at the vet school and made them walk.

Cerentola did well. 2 K's and more importantly NO walks. He did have an error on a pick off though. He's going to be a work in progress. But 39 pitches in three innings is solid. I wouldn't mind starting him against ECU although if Lemonis starts Plumlee against them I wouldn't question it since we have another SWAC team next week on Weds. Bryce Brock did well until an error plus extending him may have did him in. Could be yet another LH option out of the pen for us in a one on one situation. Brandon Smith did a good job of getting out of a jam tonight. Tyler Spring was as good as advertised after he gave up a lead off double striking out the side. I'd like to see him get a start next week possibly as well.

Marshall Gilbert continues to hit well. We also got Hayden Jones some AB's while resting him and Skelton. Gilbert could be a really nice pinch hit option for us during SEC play. All our starting infielders got hits except for Tanner Allen and all got RBI's tonight. Foscue hit another home run. Jordan Westburg has taken his game up another level and that has been fun to watch. Foscue made an error but that's the only complaint I have about the infielders. All of our outfielders got hits tonight. MacNamee got thrown out at third but sometimes I don't mind that especially if it's a close play even though that's one of those things that you're not supposed to do if it's the first or third out. I know most will disagree. Mangum got a couple of doubles and now is in the top five at MSU in that category for a career. Good to see Rowdey get a couple of hits and maybe he will start to get going now. Good to see Cumbest and Ginn get AB's.

Overall- we played very well and didn't have a letdown game after we won a big series for us. We got the offense going after a little slow stretch where we faced a good pitcher for UAB, a game where we had a bad approach but hit a lot of balls right at people, a typical game for us on Saturday and then a game where we had to deal with a bad strike zone on Sunday. We had a few hiccups like a couple of errors, a baserunning mistake, and a wild pitch that led to a run but overall we did what we were supposed to do to a team like JSU. And we got some guys in the game that needed to play.

We have a SELU team up tomorrow that has given us a lot of trouble over the years. I'm expecting a game like UAB last week and I know we're going to get their best shot. We just need to take care of business again. SELU's game against ULL got rained out tonight so it's really good that we didn't have to use our big bullpen guns like Gordon and White tonight.

Choctaw Dawg
02-26-2019, 10:40 PM
Glad to beat JSU after their coach was so ungrateful after we tried to help them out by sending them equipment a few years ago. I hope MSU made them park at the vet school and made them walk.

Cerentola did well. 2 K's and more importantly NO walks. He did have an error on a pick off though. He's going to be a work in progress. But 39 pitches in three innings is solid. I wouldn't mind starting him against ECU although if Lemonis starts Plumlee against them I wouldn't question it since we have another SWAC team next week on Weds. Bryce Brock did well until an error plus extending him may have did him in. Could be yet another LH option out of the pen for us in a one on one situation. Brandon Smith did a good job of getting out of a jam tonight. Tyler Spring was as good as advertised after he gave up a lead off double striking out the side. I'd like to see him get a start next week possibly as well.

Marshall Gilbert continues to hit well. We also got Hayden Jones some AB's while resting him and Skelton. Gilbert could be a really nice pinch hit option for us during SEC play. All our starting infielders got hits except for Tanner Allen and all got RBI's tonight. Foscue hit another home run. Jordan Westburg has taken his game up another level and that has been fun to watch. Foscue made an error but that's the only complaint I have about the infielders. All of our outfielders got hits tonight. MacNamee got thrown out at third but sometimes I don't mind that especially if it's a close play even though that's one of those things that you're not supposed to do if it's the first or third out. I know most will disagree. Mangum got a couple of doubles and now is in the top five at MSU in that category for a career. Good to see Rowdey get a couple of hits and maybe he will start to get going now. Good to see Cumbest and Ginn get AB's.

Overall- we played very well and didn't have a letdown game after we won a big series for us. We got the offense going after a little slow stretch where we faced a good pitcher for UAB, a game where we had a bad approach but hit a lot of balls right at people, a typical game for us on Saturday and then a game where we had to deal with a bad strike zone on Sunday. We had a few hiccups like a couple of errors, a baserunning mistake, and a wild pitch that led to a run but overall we did what we were supposed to do to a team like JSU. And we got some guys in the game that needed to play.

We have a SELU team up tomorrow that has given us a lot of trouble over the years. I'm expecting a game like UAB last week and I know we're going to get their best shot. We just need to take care of business again. SELU's game against ULL got rained out tonight so it's really good that we didn't have to use our big bullpen guns like Gordon and White tonight.

Is Noah Hughes an impact guy for SELU? How is he fitting in there staff wise.

Political Hack
02-26-2019, 10:41 PM
I don't have an issue with Mac running hard in a mid week game at all. I'll worry when he stops running hard.

Todd4State
02-26-2019, 11:44 PM
Is Noah Hughes an impact guy for SELU? How is he fitting in there staff wise.

It does not appear as if he or Trey Jolley another former MSU Diamond Dawg have appeared in a game yet.

SmokeyDawg
02-27-2019, 12:44 AM
I don't have an issue with Mac running hard in a mid week game at all. I'll worry when he stops running hard.

He was hoping they wouldn't make perfect throws. Their cf had a nice arm and made some good throws

louisvilledawg
02-27-2019, 12:23 PM
He was hoping they wouldn't make perfect throws. Their cf had a nice arm and made some good throws

That relay throw was the nice one. Thing was right on the money.

bulldogcountry1
02-27-2019, 05:01 PM
I know it's more exciting to throw a freshman in the DH spot, but Gilbert makes the most sense right now until someone else can prove to be productive. After all, he hit .254 last year and could do better than .275 with fresh legs.

Spring had a good stat line, but he was pretty wild. He could have easily had 2 HBP with 0-2 counts. He looks pretty raw, but maybe there were some nerves.

Where the heck is Breaux? I wasn't expecting much out of him, but he hasn't pitched at all. We need every LH arm we can get.

bulldogcountry1
02-27-2019, 05:06 PM
Also, where does Hatcher fit in? I was hoping to see him put on a little more weight and perhaps be a DH against RHP, but it look like he's going to have a hard time seeing much action.

He pitched a little last year. I figured with Breaux and Barlow coming back from injuries that we would move Hatcher to the bullpen to get us a LH arm.