PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile, at the baseball scrimmage,

messageboardsuperhero
10-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Dakota Hudson had another really good showing, and did it against some of our better offensive players (Rea, Garner, Humphreys).

4 IP 0 R 1 H 1 K 3 BB

Is it too soon to say that Hudson will be a BIG part of our staff come SEC play? I really don't think so. I don't know if he'll start or not, but it really doesn't matter. He'll log plenty of innings either way.

CadaverDawg
10-20-2013, 02:21 PM
That's great news. Thanks for the update

Will James
10-20-2013, 02:26 PM
He looked good today. Threw a ton of strikes in the PA's that weren't walks. (4,2,1,3,3,4,2,1,3,4,2) That is his pitch # in the plate appearances besides the walks.

Fitts was solid too. Some bad luck on that error and then gave up the 2 run triple to Detz (after Detz initially tried to sac bunt).

Shelly got hit some.

Hudspeth walked everyone.

Lindgren looked really really solid. Fly ball to OF that got lost in the sun (Lingo Luck), followed by striking out Hendu and Britton and a weak Rea ground ball to end the game.

Todd4State
10-20-2013, 03:04 PM
No, it's not too early to say that he will be a big part of our pitching staff. As I have said before- I would use him out of the bullpen like Ole Miss used Drew Pomeranz. Pomeranz would come in around innings 6-8 and eat up outs.

Lefthandersrule
10-20-2013, 03:20 PM
"Lingo Luck" that's the truth! Glad he's a year older and now it doesn't bother him.

messageboardsuperhero
10-20-2013, 03:46 PM
I really think a big turning point for Lindgren came in one of his last starts on the Cape. He was dominating thru five innings, and then ran into trouble by loading the bases in the sixth but got out of it. That's the kind of thing that would have made him break down last year.

Lindgren never had any trouble getting people out last year when things were going good (ie: Auburn game), but a lot of times he'd break down at the first sign of trouble. I think that problem is mostly behind him now, based on his recent outings.

messageboardsuperhero
10-20-2013, 03:49 PM
No, it's not too early to say that he will be a big part of our pitching staff. As I have said before- I would use him out of the bullpen like Ole Miss used Drew Pomeranz. Pomeranz would come in around innings 6-8 and eat up outs.

I agree. Just send him out there in the middle of the game and tell him to throw some heat down in the zone. Mow those bitches down.

Will James
10-20-2013, 03:54 PM
I really think a big turning point for Lindgren came in one of his last starts on the Cape. He was dominating thru five innings, and then ran into trouble by loading the bases in the sixth but got out of it. That's the kind of thing that would have made him break down last year.

Lindgren never had any trouble getting people out last year when things were going good (ie: Auburn game), but a lot of times he'd break down at the first sign of trouble. I think that problem is mostly behind him now, based on his recent outings.

His 2013 bad luck is impossible to repeat. Just hope we don't waste his talent having him be a matchup guy. Lindgren needs to log 80 IP this year. Don't care where/when they are.

messageboardsuperhero
10-20-2013, 04:06 PM
His 2013 bad luck is impossible to repeat. Just hope we don't waste his talent having him be a matchup guy. Lindgren needs to log 80 IP this year. Don't care where/when they are.

If Lindgren pitches like we know he can, he'll get his 80+ innings one way or another. Hell, Girodo was a matchup guy all regular season and still ended up with 60. In hindsight he definitely should have gotten more throughout the season, but we always seem to have our best pitchers throwing the most innings at the end of the year in the biggest games.

Who knows, maybe the lack of innings during the season helped Girodo stay fresh until the end of the season last year. I know the coaches didn't plan it out like that, but it could have been an unintended consequence.

Todd4State
10-20-2013, 05:25 PM

I anticipate us using him like we used Stratton to start the year in 2012. It sounds to me like they are going to piggyback him with someone else. An injury to Bracewell kind of opened up the door for Stratton to start and he took advantage of it. We'll see how things play out this season- someone could get hurt again or simply not be effective.

Or maybe we'll be so badass that everyone has to share their innings.

MsStateBaseball
10-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Right now Hudson has secured himself a lot of innings on SEC weekends either Sunday starter or relief. Woody, Fitts, Bracewell and Lindgren give us a experienced group of starters or long relief. Paul Young is a wild card right now. His elbow is still sore from the summer. If he does pitch in the spring, it looks like an inning here and there. Maybe start in late May. Sexton is your Tuesday starter right now to get him ready for 2015 rotation. Everyone else is a reliever at this point.

MsStateBaseball
10-20-2013, 06:45 PM
In the field, as I expected there is no glaring holes as in someone over his head. IF OF C all look solid defensively. Some are inexperienced but they won't be by end of year. The mix and match w L and R batters will be fine . Every position has quality depth.

Will James
10-20-2013, 08:19 PM
In the field, as I expected there is no glaring holes as in someone over his head. IF OF C all look solid defensively. Some are inexperienced but they won't be by end of year. The mix and match w L and R batters will be fine . Every position has quality depth.

Henderson still makes me nervous out there. Doesn't help him that Armstrong and Vickerson are looking great.

messageboardsuperhero
10-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Henderson still makes me nervous out there. Doesn't help him that Armstrong and Vickerson are looking great.

I can't wait to see Vickerson out there. From what I've read about him, Vickerson is like Detz except he can run and play good defense.

He and Detz are my 1-2 in the order based on what we've seen so far.

Todd4State
10-20-2013, 08:47 PM

Actually, it will help us- because either Demarcus will have to step it up or we're going to have to play someone that is an upgrade if he doesn't step it up.

As you can tell, I LOVE competition. The competition that our guys are going through is going to help them in pro ball too. There's a saying in MLB- there's always someone ready to take your job in AAA.

Will James
10-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Actually, it will help us- because either Demarcus will have to step it up or we're going to have to play someone that is an upgrade if he doesn't step it up.

As you can tell, I LOVE competition. The competition that our guys are going through is going to help them in pro ball too. There's a saying in MLB- there's always someone ready to take your job in AAA.

I wholeheartedly agree, said it doesn't help him (Henderson) but it definitely helps us.

MsStateBaseball
10-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Henderson - bats right
Robson - bats left
Armstrong - bats right
Bradford - bats left
Vickerson - bats left

I would say Bradford is everyday starter but mix and match the rest. Swinarski can pinch hit as he gets more comfortable.

Will James
10-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Henderson - bats right
Robson - bats left
Armstrong - bats right
Bradford - bats left
Vickerson - bats left

I would say Bradford is everyday starter but mix and match the rest. Swinarski can pinch hit as he gets more comfortable.

You can only matchup so far, for example you aren't going to sit Detz against lefties just because of the matchup. His bat is still better than "replacement right handed hitter"

I'd like to see Hump get some OF work.

MsStateBaseball
10-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Humphries is either 3B or DH. Not going to hurt the elbow again. Detz is everyday 3B or DH.

messageboardsuperhero
10-20-2013, 09:50 PM
I'll say it again, we are just so damn stacked with what seems like quality depth all over the field. I honestly don't see any way we don't score more runs this year, and we were pretty good offensively last year. I also think we'll be more consistent offensively this year.

Bark
10-20-2013, 10:14 PM
a little off topic but...how are the adidas bats performing? Is there a noticeable difference in pop?

Todd4State
10-20-2013, 10:18 PM
a little off topic but...how are the adidas bats performing? Is there a noticeable difference in pop?

I've heard good things about them as far as pop- it seems like we are hitting a few more extra base hits and home runs. I read a few reviews on their bats and they were rated pretty high- FWIW. Maybe Adidas should just stick to bats?

Will James
10-20-2013, 10:30 PM
I'll say it again, we are just so damn stacked with what seems like quality depth all over the field. I honestly don't see any way we don't score more runs this year, and we were pretty good offensively last year. I also think we'll be more consistent offensively this year.

Vickerson looks to maybe nearly equal Frazier's production if his approach and what everything everyone has said about him pans out.

Garner will be a huge upgrade from Ammo.
Rea will be better.
Pirtle will be himself all year (awful slump early last yr)
CT almost has to get better, or be replaced.
Robson, Hendu, Armstrong all a year older
Detz probably regresses some, but will still be solid.
Hump > Frost, with the power potential.

Offense will be better.