PDA

View Full Version : What I think they should do with the Governors Cup....

Jack Lambert
02-26-2019, 04:39 PM
Have it the first weekend of college baseball but invite all six D1 baseball teams from the State and have a tournament to decide which school gets the cup. It doesn't necessary has to be the first weekend or all six teams. Make it a real governors cup.

sleepy dawg
02-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Have it the first weekend of college baseball but invite all six D1 baseball teams from the State and have a tournament to decide which school gets the cup. It doesn't necessary has to be the first weekend or all six teams. Make it a real governors cup.

I love it! I hope we keep doing the series with USM no matter what though.

TNDawg35
02-26-2019, 05:06 PM
That’s a great idea. We could even have it bounce around to diff parks. Starkville, Oxford, Hattiesburg, Pearl, Jackson.

mstatefan91
02-26-2019, 05:20 PM
That's a good idea. Would be a fun weekend.

jacksondawg
02-26-2019, 05:34 PM
That’s a great idea. We could even have it bounce around to diff parks. Starkville, Oxford, Hattiesburg, Pearl, Jackson.

I'd replace Jackson with Biloxi, but that would be a great idea.

Todd4State
02-26-2019, 07:19 PM
I'd like to see three different trophies.

MSU/Ole Miss- Governor's Cup
MSU/USM- Polk/Denson Trophy
MSU/Delta State- Boo Ferris Trophy

Play all three in Pearl.

Howboutdemdogs
02-26-2019, 07:58 PM
This is a fabulous idea,,,,, also it can be a money maker for the state.

parabrave
02-26-2019, 08:48 PM

You know we have a pretty good ballpark in Biloxi.

confucius say
02-26-2019, 08:51 PM

Hell of a lot nice than anything in Jackson

Todd4State
02-26-2019, 09:33 PM
Hell of a lot nice than anything in Jackson

I'd say that Trustmark Park and MGM Park are both equally nice.

Todd4State
02-26-2019, 09:36 PM

I'd like to see us play a game for charity in Biloxi like LSU does with the Wally Pontiff Classic in NOLA. We could play someone like South Alabama or ULL there.

MStateDawg
02-26-2019, 09:41 PM
I'd like to see us play a game for charity in Biloxi like LSU does with the Wally Pontiff Classic in NOLA. We could play someone like South Alabama or ULL there.

I heard Lemonis says they other day that they were trying to put together a tournament to take place in Biloxi. Said he wanted to get down there for the fans but that playing a single game mid-week was a bit rough. I'd expect to see something next season.

parabrave
02-26-2019, 10:02 PM
I heard Lemonis says they other day that they were trying to put together a tournament to take place in Biloxi. Said he wanted to get down there for the fans but that playing a single game mid-week was a bit rough. I'd expect to see something next season.

MSU has played here twice, great crowds for both games. Wish they could play here annually.

Todd4State
02-26-2019, 10:19 PM

I think a tournament there would be awesome. I'm surprised about it being tough to play a midweek game though. I wonder if he's referring to it being tough to find an opponent to play there or tough on the team to travel there? When we play in Pearl/Jackson we can play a game starting at 6 PM and then have our guys back in Starkville around midnight normally. Biloxi would be a lot harder on our players to make class the next day because of the time that they would be getting back to Starkville.

It seems like the Biloxi Shuckers baseball people would want us to play there though since Pearl has the Governor's Cup and usually when we play USM it's in Pearl as well. I bet we could get Tulane, South Alabama, UNO, or Southeast Louisiana to play us there though.

parabrave
02-26-2019, 10:34 PM
I think a tournament there would be awesome. I'm surprised about it being tough to play a midweek game though. I wonder if he's referring to it being tough to find an opponent to play there or tough on the team to travel there? When we play in Pearl/Jackson we can play a game starting at 6 PM and then have our guys back in Starkville around midnight normally. Biloxi would be a lot harder on our players to make class the next day because of the time that they would be getting back to Starkville.

It seems like the Biloxi Shuckers baseball people would want us to play there though since Pearl has the Governor's Cup and usually when we play USM it's in Pearl as well. I bet we could get Tulane, South Alabama, UNO, or Southeast Louisiana to play us there though.

The Shuckers don't own the ballpark the City does. We have had the USM conf Tourney here twice but you can imagine the crowd size for those. Now having a regional tourney here with MSU, USM, USA and ULL would be a good draw and get the USM game out of the way also/

Lord McBuckethead
02-26-2019, 10:56 PM
I'd say that Trustmark Park and MGM Park are both equally nice.

Designed by the same group. Equal but not as nice as Dudy.

Todd4State
02-26-2019, 11:40 PM
The Shuckers don't own the ballpark the City does. We have had the USM conf Tourney here twice but you can imagine the crowd size for those. Now having a regional tourney here with MSU, USM, USA and ULL would be a good draw and get the USM game out of the way also/

I can imagine. I went to the C-USA Tournament when it was hosted at Trustmark Park and it interfered with the MHSAA playoffs at the time. And Trustmark Park wisely chose the MHSAA over the C-USA Tournament. And yes, a regional tournament with those teams would draw better than the C-USA Tournament. That said, I would prefer to play USM in Pearl. Now if we play them in both Pearl and Biloxi I would be fine with that too. But if I had to chose one- I would go with Pearl. I think it would be cool if the Biloxi Tournament had some bigger names than just the regional mid majors- like MSU, Florida State, UCLA, and South Alabama or something like that.

Designed by the same group. Equal but not as nice as Dudy.

I agree that the new Dudy-Noble Field is the nicest of the three. The new Dudy-Noble Field reminds me a lot of Autozone Park in Memphis.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
02-27-2019, 12:12 AM
I’ve never been to AutoZone Park and have yet to get to the Dude this year to see it in all it’s glory. I was there several times last year and will be back in a couple of weeks. I’m taking someone from Memphis that has never been to Dudy Noble but has been to AutoZone several times. I told them that the New Dude was the best college park in the country and probably better than AutoZone Park.

How far off was I on this statement comparing The New Dude and AutoZone?

Todd4State
02-27-2019, 12:32 AM
I’ve never been to AutoZone Park and have yet to get to the Dude this year to see it in all it’s glory. I was there several times last year and will be back in a couple of weeks. I’m taking someone from Memphis that has never been to Dudy Noble but has been to AutoZone several times. I told them that the New Dude was the best college park in the country and probably better than AutoZone Park.

I have been to both and I think they are similar. Autozone probably has a little more seating capacity and as I said Dudy-Noble has a lot of Autozone influence in the grandstand. Both are two decks with open concourses. The Lofts also remind me of the apartments behind Autozone Park. Autozone has the bluff in the outfield and the cool thing about Autozone is the field itself was modeled after Fenway Park and Ebbets Field I believe. So, that's a big difference between the two as Dudy-Noble has the LFL which is cool and we have Adkerson Plaza which goes out into the field of play but otherwise the playing field itself is basically the same as it was in 2017.

One thing that might affect the experience between the two is at Autozone you can easily get a seat in the grandstand and unfortunately that is an issue with the new Dudy-Noble Field as it has been discussed on here thus you may be forced to sit on the grass in the berm or stand the entire game while the grandstand is mostly empty. I would recommend going onto MSU's web site and search for baseball tickets and see if you can get some in the grandstand that way to maximize your experience. MSU needs to do something about that issue as we have again discussed at length before.

One thing that adds to Autozone is the fact that it is in downtown Memphis and within walking distance of Beale St. so there are plenty of eating/entertainment options for before and after the game. MSU- if you play it right you could park within walking distance of the Cotton District. The parking situation sucks too unless you have a parking pass.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-27-2019, 07:54 AM
Piss on playing in Hattiesburg... we should never, ever play a game at USM in any sport... it shouldn?t be MSU?s job to keep USM?s athletic department in business....

PKADogs55
02-27-2019, 09:16 AM
I'd like to see three different trophies.

MSU/Ole Miss- Governor's Cup
MSU/USM- Polk/Denson Trophy
MSU/Delta State- Boo Ferris Trophy

Play all three in Pearl.

Hit it right on the head Todd!

State82
02-27-2019, 11:38 AM

That's an excellent idea that Cohen should seriously consider and pitch to the other AD's

The Federalist Engineer
02-28-2019, 05:20 PM
I love it! I hope we keep doing the series with USM no matter what though.

I like Lambert's idea for the Gov Cup, but not with playing 3 with USM

It would help us recruit and develop RPI by playing a glamour series with PAC-12 or ACC schools every February.

Plus I don't want to travel to Hattiesburg- that sucks. Let's go to Miami or LA again

QuadrupleOption
02-28-2019, 09:36 PM

Couldn't we fly them down and back in the same day? I figure a charter flight once a year wouldn't put too much of a burden on the athletic budget. Relative to what we get from the SEC every year, that is.

Todd4State
02-28-2019, 11:54 PM
Couldn't we fly them down and back in the same day? I figure a charter flight once a year wouldn't put too much of a burden on the athletic budget. Relative to what we get from the SEC every year, that is.

I know when we played in Biloxi in 2016 we basically incorporated it into our road trip to LSU which we did by bus. Last year we were going to be on the road a lot anyway. A charter flight would be more convenient and get the guys back to school a lot sooner but I'm not the one that pays the bills on that.

Todd4State
02-28-2019, 11:58 PM
I like Lambert's idea for the Gov Cup, but not with playing 3 with USM

It would help us recruit and develop RPI by playing a glamour series with PAC-12 or ACC schools every February.

Plus I don't want to travel to Hattiesburg- that sucks. Let's go to Miami or LA again

Personally, I don't think we should play USM more than twice a year and if I had a preference it would be once in Pearl and that would be it. If we want to do Pearl and then home/home with Starkville and Hattiesburg every other year for a midweek game that's fine too but I would rather not do it. The treat us pretty badly in Hattiesburg- price gouging, trying to make it inconvenient where you have to buy season tickets almost, trying to have Polk arrested for arguing with an umpire, and their fans making below the belt comments towards some of our coaches on our past staffs family members are all things that I would expect USM to address if we ever play them there again other than a regional.

parabrave
03-01-2019, 02:21 AM

Have you noticed our luck with Chartered Aircraft lately? I really wouldn't want my offspring on any of the flights.

Jarius
03-01-2019, 06:11 AM
We would definitely need to fly to Biloxi. It's almost the same distance to Biloxi as it is to Atlanta from Starkville. That's a long way for 1 midweek game, unless there is a series for us down that way that starts that weekend anyway.

gravedigger
03-01-2019, 09:53 AM

It?s not that accurate. Autozone is probably a good deal of the way the new Dude is designed. More space underneath. I?m a Starkville resident and still have sprinters in my ass from the original Dudy Noble. But I lived in Collierville for a number of years and Autozone is something out of the ordinary. Only thing I don?t like about it is the amusement park down left field line. Kids don?t care a squat about the game. That said, I had my son?s birthday party there and during a game he was treated like a king.

sleepy dawg
03-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Personally, I don't think we should play USM more than twice a year and if I had a preference it would be once in Pearl and that would be it. If we want to do Pearl and then home/home with Starkville and Hattiesburg every other year for a midweek game that's fine too but I would rather not do it. The treat us pretty badly in Hattiesburg- price gouging, trying to make it inconvenient where you have to buy season tickets almost, trying to have Polk arrested for arguing with an umpire, and their fans making below the belt comments towards some of our coaches on our past staffs family members are all things that I would expect USM to address if we ever play them there again other than a regional.

I just like being able to play them in a real series where we aren't just throwing a midweek guy at them. I'd be fine if the whole series was moved to Pearl, but I like the 3 game series on the weekend where they get our best guys and we get theirs.

drunkernhelldawg
03-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Love the idea though it'd be a bear to schedule.

dickiedawg
03-02-2019, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a fun idea. I'd want it structured so we play Ole Miss and USM once each and one game against JSU/Alcorn/MVSU. That way it's an RPI helper and not a detriment.
Assuming each team gets 3 games you'd have to play 3 games per day which I don't know is feasible on one site- on Friday, Sunday. So you could move some games to another site, or just invite whichever SWAC school that finished highest the prior year and play a full round robin.