PDA

View Full Version : D1 baseball rankings state up to 12....Tsun checks in at #10........

99jc
02-25-2019, 08:41 AM
https://d1baseball.com/team/missst/?utm_source=D1+Baseball+Members&utm_campaign=e89d4b5fce-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_02_25_05_12&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_98c95d11a2-e89d4b5fce-536754289&mc_cid=e89d4b5fce&mc_eid=30a7420a06

ShotgunDawg
02-25-2019, 10:34 AM
We are under ranked right now and should be top 7.

Understandably, where they don't have us figured out is how deep and effective our pitching staff is. When you looked at our roster before the season, they didn't realize that guys like White, Barlow, Eagan, Liebelt, and Ceratola would be weapons while also not realizing that Small and Gordon would take the next step along with Ginn actually pitching like a 1st rounder as a FR.

Simply put, on paper we were ranked about right in the preseason, but we're significantly better and deeper than we were on paper in the preseason.

Dawgbite
02-25-2019, 10:39 AM
Hitting concerns me right now. We had some dry stretches this weekend and the first game against YSU that will put a lot of pressure on pitching if we continue not being able to get timely hits.

PMDawg
02-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Not understanding the love affairs with Florida and Ole Miss. Both are overrated, based on results so far.

ShotgunDawg
02-25-2019, 10:41 AM
Hitting concerns me right now. We had some dry stretches this weekend and the first game against YSU that will put a lot of pressure on pitching if we continue not being able to get timely hits.

I hear you, but hitting comes and goes for everyone. The question isn't how we are hitting right now, but if you think we have quality hitters throughout our lineup?

I think we do & over the course of the season, I think that will play out. We won't lead the SEC in runs, but I do believe we'll finish in middle to upper half of the conference & doing so with what looks to be a top 3 SEC pitching staff.

That two combinations make us a top 7 team in the country.

ShotgunDawg
02-25-2019, 10:42 AM
Not understanding the love affairs with Florida and Ole Miss. Both are overrated, based on results so far.

I'm fine with Florida. There is so much talent & track record of winning there that they are a pretty good bet to be really really good.

Ole Miss I don't get. They haven't earned it & simply don't have the pitching depth that others do.

CadaverDawg
02-25-2019, 10:45 AM

Yeah baseball rankings are weird...Ole Miss loses to Wright St and Tulane and stay Top 10? If you're not going to penalize teams in the rankings for losing, just wait and put out a poll after about 4-5 weeks. Otherwise, do your job and drop UF & OM for losing to teams they shouldn't lose to. What's the point of polls if you're just going to put teams where you think they belong based off talent, but ignore actual results?

CadaverDawg
02-25-2019, 10:47 AM
I'm fine with Florida. There is so much talent & track record of winning there that they are a pretty good bet to be really really good.

Ole Miss I don't get. They haven't earned it & simply don't have the pitching depth that others do.

I disagree about Florida...they don't deserve a pass bc they're talented or bc they've been good in recent years. Drop them down for losing to shit teams, and if they're Truly good, they'll earn their way back up the polls.

Jack Lambert
02-25-2019, 10:54 AM

It might just be perception but every year at this time hitting seems to be a problem but it gets better.

Percho
02-25-2019, 10:57 AM
I disagree about Florida...they don't deserve a pass bc they're talented or bc they've been good in recent years. Drop them down for losing to shit teams, and if they're Truly good, they'll earn their way back up the polls.

I'm with you fellers!

mstatefan91
02-25-2019, 10:58 AM

agreed. They're 5-3 so far lost to USF and North Florida (who are they??). They beat Miami 2/3 so that's fine.. but those two mid-week losses are bad losses

ShotgunDawg
02-25-2019, 11:17 AM

I guess it just depends on what you want rankings to be.

Do you want rankings to be a reflection of how teams are playing right now or do you want them to be a reflection on who is the odds on favorite to win the natty?

Personally, I want them to be a reflection of who are the odds on favorite to win the natty. While you are certainly correct about Florida not playing well right now, their roster should give them a solid chance at advancing in Omaha.

My problem with Ole Miss is that their roster does not look that way, & MSU's roster is underrated because we have impact players that no one really knew would be impact players. MSU & Ole Miss' rosters have been mis-evaluated

mstatefan91
02-25-2019, 11:22 AM

Do you want rankings to be a reflection of how teams are playing right now or do you want them to be a reflection on who is the odds on favorite to win the natty?

Personally, I want them to be a reflection of who are the odds on favorite to win the natty. While you are certainly correct about Florida not playing well right now, their roster should give them a solid chance at advancing in Omaha.

My problem with Ole Miss is that their roster does not look that way, & MSU's roster is underrated because we have impact players that no one really knew would be impact players. MSU & Ole Miss' rosters have been mis-evaluated
It should be a mix of the two IMO. Florida is not playing like a top 10 team while having top 10 talent.. Rank them 10-20 until they prove they can play like a top 10 team..

louisvilledawg
02-25-2019, 11:25 AM

Have a friend that graduated from UF. He said they aren't nearly as good as they have been in years past.

They're getting a pass right now based on what they've done previously.

Much like Texas in football.

CadaverDawg
02-25-2019, 11:53 AM

Rankings should be reflecting on field results. Otherwise, just pencil in the top 25 rosters in terms of talent and it won't change all year.

sleepy dawg
02-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Rankings should be reflecting on field results. Otherwise, just pencil in the top 25 rosters in terms of talent and it won't change all year.

Absolutely they should. Vegas can tell you the odds. Rankings should be done as a result of what's happened this year. Nothing more.

dawgs
02-25-2019, 12:26 PM

Hitting usually heats up with the weather.

MetEdDawg
02-25-2019, 12:31 PM
By the time the year is done, Florida will not be hosting a regional. Mark it down.

Todd4State
02-25-2019, 12:31 PM

It's because of Ole Miss's recruiting class three years ago being juniors.

ScoobaDawg
02-25-2019, 01:22 PM
Very interested to see how we do against # Texas Tech on Sat.

ShotgunDawg
02-25-2019, 01:27 PM
Very interested to see how we do against # Texas Tech on Sat.

It's just one game, so it's virtually meaningless but it will be fun to compare how we stack up against them talent wise.

PKADogs55
02-25-2019, 01:41 PM
So if we sweep this week 5-0, are we top ..... 10, 7, 5?

basedog
02-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Way to early to even be concerned with rankings. Baseball is a long season.

MetEdDawg
02-25-2019, 01:47 PM
So if we sweep this week 5-0, are we top ..... 10, 7, 5?

Really depends on what the teams in front of us do. Baseball folks are weird. Everyone has a different metric for why someone should be Top 10, Top 5, etc. We started #9 in one poll and #14 in another. And early on, folks don't pay attention to the games, especially bad losses, unless they become a habit.

I think we have a real chance of passing teams like Stanford, Ole Miss, and Louisville over the next couple of weeks. They have all lost at least one bad game or played too may close games to bad teams.

If we go 5-0 this week we will most definitely be Top 10 though. That would give us wins over SE LA, Sam Houston State, Texas Tech, Nebraska, and Jackson State. Would be a monster week.

PKADogs55
02-25-2019, 02:07 PM
Way to early to even be concerned with rankings. Baseball is a long season.

True, I was just curious what you guys thought.

PMDawg
02-25-2019, 02:08 PM

exactly.

That's why I said "based on results so far". If they are actually talented and good, and come around, like Shotgun's eye test implies, then they'll have no problem winning their way back up the rankings later. But for now, they should drop due to repeatedly losing to bad teams.