PDA

View Full Version : Sunday college baseball score update

MetEdDawg
02-24-2019, 08:30 PM
Good day for college baseball in a lot of places. Here's your update:

#6 UNC wins 2-1 and 5-3 against USF. Haven't mentioned them much but they are a staple in hosting and have had a ton of close games. They've won their last 4 games by a combined 5 runs.

#1 Vandy sweeps their DH today and the series against Pepperdine.

#9 UGA does the same against UMASS Lowell. Look out for UGA. They are good. Get them in Starkville this year.

#22 Auburn beats UCF 13-9 and win the series.

#5 Florida takes the series from Miami with a 4-1 win today.

#11 East Carolina loses to Monmouth 8-5. We play ECU March 5th midweek.

#3 Texas Tech sweeps UK with a dominant 19-4 performance today. They scored 36 runs in their 3 games with UK. We play Texas Tech on March 2nd in the Texas Tournament.

#10 Ole Miss takes the series against Tulane with a 6-3 win today

#2 LSU squeaks by Bryant 4-3 for the series sweep.

Texas A&M loses to Illinois Chicago 7-2. They only managed to score 9 total runs in that series this weekend.

There's the weekend that was. Lots of good midweek action to be updated as the week goes on. Solid walk off today by the Bulldawgs. Got 5 games to watch this week so pace yourself folks!

somebodyshotmypaw
02-24-2019, 08:35 PM
I enjoy this update. Thanks.

Choctaw Dawg
02-24-2019, 08:35 PM
1. ECU probably shouldn't be ranked
2. LSU shouldn't sniff top 15
3. UIC has a good program, team almost beat us out of Hattiesburg two years ago
4. Kentucky didn't have pitching last year, seems to be the same this year
5. Auburn above average but just not quite there
6. Nice to see UGA turn the corner with their program

No BS Dawg
02-24-2019, 08:37 PM
Great stuff, thanks.

I seen it dawg
02-24-2019, 09:04 PM
As usual great write up

ShotgunDawg
02-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Texas Tech vs MSU in the Frisco Classic will be an Omaha preview.

Tech has the best hitter in the country Josh Jung.

msstate7
02-24-2019, 09:26 PM

Better than Vaughn? Vaughn had ~.200 advantage in ops last season and ~ .100 advantage freshman year.

ETA... Vaughn struck out 7.03% last season and walked 17.19%. His slugging % was freaking .819. His ISO was .417

STATEBALLIN
02-24-2019, 10:39 PM
This is really cool. Thanks for posting.

ShotgunDawg
02-24-2019, 11:40 PM
Better than Vaughn? Vaughn had ~.200 advantage in ops last season and ~ .100 advantage freshman year.

ETA... Vaughn struck out 7.03% last season and walked 17.19%. His slugging % was freaking .819. His ISO was .417

Vaughn has more power but also more swing & miss. Jung is a little better hitter. It's obviously a debate, but I think Jung could win a batting title in MLB someday. Both will be top 7 picks.

Don't give me your stats. Stats help, but it's also about your eyes. Both are really good

Todd4State
02-24-2019, 11:42 PM

Good test for Ginn.

MetEdDawg
02-25-2019, 12:27 AM
Good test for Ginn.

Got to at least consider swapping Ginn and Small right? Don't have to do it if you are Lemonis, but that's got to cross his mind I would think.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-25-2019, 12:43 AM
Vaughn has more power but also more swing & miss. Jung is a little better hitter. It's obviously a debate, but I think Jung could win a batting title in MLB someday. Both will be top 7 picks.

Don't give me your stats. Stats help, but it's also about your eyes. Both are really good

"Stats and my eye test are good, but don't tell me the stats" sounds like a contradiction to me... if you knowledge that stats can show a picture the eye misses why wouldn't you want 7 to share them?

Personally I only place a value in eye test in so far as it shows me potential. Westburg has always had more potential than Rowdy, but you wouldn't know it from the stats last year. Carantola has more potential than Plumblee, but neither have enough stats accumulated to tell without the eye. But if we're talking about who's the best hitter today I like stats over eye. I can't see every AB a guy has so my eyes have a very small sample size, and the more games you play the more accurately stats show reality. "The cream rises to the top" to quote Macho Man Randy Savage

Todd4State
02-25-2019, 12:58 AM
Got to at least consider swapping Ginn and Small right? Don't have to do it if you are Lemonis, but that's got to cross his mind I would think.

I wouldn't. Sam Houston State is a typically good mid major and I'm sure they will pitch their ace. Ginn has pitched in the UA All-American Game at Wrigley Field and for Team USA plus he just shut down a top 20 team in a big series for us. Plus I don't want to throw Ginn on short rest unnecessarily.

msstate7
02-25-2019, 07:22 AM

More swing and miss? Here's both K %:

Vaughn: 9.84 (freshman), 7.03 (soph), 6.67 (junior sss)

Jung: 15.57 (fresh), 10.13 (soph), 14.29 (junior sss)

The first reputable site (baseball America) to put out a mock draft has Vaughn being taken ahead of jung. With Vaughn being a 1b and jung a 3b, that tells me BA doesn't agree with you... you don't take 1b over 3b if hitting is close. Obviously this is just 1 mock

smootness
02-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Andrew Vaughn is the best hitter in the country, or at least among his class (Spencer Torkelson is ridiculous).

As for UGA, both Cole Wilcox and Emerson Hancock may be top-10 picks next year.

ShotgunDawg
02-25-2019, 10:28 AM
More swing and miss? Here's both K %:

Vaughn: 9.84 (freshman), 7.03 (soph), 6.67 (junior sss)

Jung: 15.57 (fresh), 10.13 (soph), 14.29 (junior sss)

The first reputable site (baseball America) to put out a mock draft has Vaughn being taken ahead of jung. With Vaughn being a 1b and jung a 3b, that tells me BA doesn't agree with you... you don't take 1b over 3b if hitting is close. Obviously this is just 1 mock

Will be interesting to see how these guys do in the big leagues. That's all that matters anyway.

smootness
02-25-2019, 10:37 AM
Will be interesting to see how these guys do in the big leagues. That's all that matters anyway.

As to who the best college hitter in the country is?

And all the actual MLB people seem to think Vaughn is going to be better.

msstate7
02-25-2019, 10:38 AM

Yep.

I'm not saying you're wrong BTW. I haven't watched either enough to form a good opinion. I'm just reading stat lines