PDA

View Full Version : Hitting

I seen it dawg
02-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Thru 2 wkds it looks like a Lemonis finds a lineup of guys and sticks to it. That being said we got 6-7 guys that won't come out.

Mangum, Westburg, Allen, Macnamee, Foscue, Rowdey, Skelton are fixtures.
LJordan, Halter, Jones, Gilbert are also getting time,
Ginn (listed as a P), Cumbest, Hatcher and Bell seem to be the bench guys.

If we carry 11 pitchers and above is another 14 it seems our wkd roster is about there.

skadoosh14
02-24-2019, 06:58 PM
Let Skelton be a fixture DH while Jones starts at catcher. Also, I think Ginn should be hitting when he's at the mound.

HoopsDawg
02-24-2019, 07:04 PM
Let Skelton be a fixture DH while Jones starts at catcher. Also, I think Ginn should be hitting when he's at the mound.

Skelton had an amazing day on Saturday. But I need to see a little bit more before I'm completely sold he should be in the lineup every day. He hit .206 as a freshman. .238 as a sophomore. And I just think Hayden Jones is very talented.

skadoosh14
02-24-2019, 07:07 PM
Skelton had an amazing day on Saturday. But I need to see a little bit more before I'm completely sold he should be in the lineup every day. He hit .206 as a freshman. .238 as a sophomore. And I just think Hayden Jones is very talented.

Completely agree. I meant if he had to be a fixture at the plate then let it be as a DH. Jones absolutely needs to start at catcher. We have literally no defense to stolen bases when Skelton is catching.

HoopsDawg
02-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Thru 2 wkds it looks like a Lemonis finds a lineup of guys and sticks to it. That being said we got 6-7 guys that won't come out.

Mangum, Westburg, Allen, Macnamee, Foscue, Rowdey, Skelton are fixtures.
LJordan, Halter, Jones, Gilbert are also getting time,
Ginn (listed as a P), Cumbest, Hatcher and Bell seem to be the bench guys.

If we carry 11 pitchers and above is another 14 it seems our wkd roster is about there.

Yep, that looks about right. MacLeod could be a wildcard if he can recover from Mono. I think Cumbest has to leave the team for spring football practice so I'm not sure how that will shake out.

I seen it dawg
02-24-2019, 07:09 PM
I think Skelton is providing intangibles that Lemonis and Foxhall like that's gonna keep him in the lineup. At least until Jones figures it all out. Security blanket type thing. Jones is the more talented offensively and defensively and may very well overtake Skelton but if Skelton hits a little gonna be hard to get him out.

But I absolutely prefer Jones behind the plate 2 to 1 on the wkds. Also to think about we don't need Jones catching 27 innings a wkd. Don't want him hitting the wall in May. I actually like carrying the 3 catchers as it's gonna give us some flexibility late in games and with our lineup.

CadaverDawg
02-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Bottom line is Hayden Jones is a weapon with that rifle he has. You almost have to catch that guy because you shut down the run game. I agree with the above that while Skelton hit well yesterday, I'm far from sold on him being a good hitter this year as a whole. But if we want, we can let Skelton catch Small since the lefty can hold runners better, and then let Jones catch the two righties on Sat and Sun as the season goes on. We have options, which is nice.

CadaverDawg
02-24-2019, 07:12 PM
I think Skelton is providing intangibles that Lemonis and Foxhall like that's gonna keep him in the lineup. At least until Jones figures it all out. Security blanket type thing. Jones is the more talented offensively and defensively and may very well overtake Skelton but if Skelton hits a little gonna be hard to get him out.

But I absolutely prefer Jones behind the plate 2 to 1 on the wkds. Also to think about we don't need Jones catching 27 innings a wkd. Don't want him hitting the wall in May. I actually like carrying the 3 catchers as it's gonna give us some flexibility late in games and with our lineup.

I agree with all of this. Let Hayden slowly take over so he doesn't get burnt out, and if Skelton produces some in the meantime, that's icing on the cake

skadoosh14
02-24-2019, 07:13 PM
Bottom line is Hayden Jones is a weapon with that rifle he has. You almost have to catch that guy because you shut down the run game. I agree with the above that while Skelton hit well yesterday, I'm far from sold on him being a good hitter this year as a whole. But if we want, we can let Skelton catch Small since the lefty can hold runners better, and then let Jones catch the two righties on Sat and Sun as the season goes on. We have options, which is nice.

Never even thought of that strategy. I absolutely agree.

I seen it dawg
02-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Actually love carrying 3 catchers. And next yr when Gilbert is gone we slide Hancock who is most likely gonna redshirt into that 3rd spot. We now won't be scared to hit for our starting catcher late bc we've got 3.

Powersaw
02-24-2019, 07:26 PM
Indiana Jones still has some work to do receiving, but my God that arm!!! The 2 guys he's thrown out should've just stopped and walked back to the dugout. I'd really like to see him start at C in the 2 midweek games and let Skelton DH. Skelton has hit the ball really well through the first 7 games. He just didn't get many to fall the first weekend. Really good contact, though, and he's been much tougher with 2 strikes than in previous years. He's been better defensively, too. I'd written him off for dead, so I've really been pleased with his development. Not sure what's with Halter, but IMO he doesn't seem very aggressive at the plate for a guy that hit .400 with 39 bombs in JUCO.

HoopsDawg
02-24-2019, 07:33 PM
Stats on JT Ginn from high school.

Junior year: .483 with 16 Homers in 33 games
Senior year: .419 with 9 HR's in 30 games.

Yes, it's high school but a good reminder of what kind of hitter he can be.

Todd4State
02-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Hayden Jones is Yadier Molina 2004. Skelton is Mike Matheny 2004.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-25-2019, 01:00 AM

15 year old MLB catcher references? uh yeah sure I totally get those...

Commercecomet24
02-25-2019, 01:15 AM
Stats on JT Ginn from high school.

Junior year: .483 with 16 Homers in 33 games
Senior year: .419 with 9 HR's in 30 games.

Yes, it's high school but a good reminder of what kind of hitter he can be.

Yep. Also set state record for most walks and intentional walks because no one would pitch to him. Those stats were put up with not a lot of official abs because everyone pitched around him. Kid can rake just look at some of his bat speed velos and exit velos.

Todd4State
02-25-2019, 02:38 AM
15 year old MLB catcher references? uh yeah sure I totally get those...

If you knew it was 15 years old it sounds like you got it.**

Jones is the guy with a high upside and is better than the starter like Yadi when he first came up with the Cardinals. Had to work on some things though.

Skelton is the guy that is a veteran and a good leader but has a much lower ceiling.

Todd4State
02-25-2019, 02:41 AM
Yep. Also set state record for most walks and intentional walks because no one would pitch to him. Those stats were put up with not a lot of official abs because everyone pitched around him. Kid can rake just look at some of his bat speed velos and exit velos.

I'm hoping that this summer JT can work on his hitting and get some AB's whether that's the Cape or possibly Team USA. If he adjusts enough I could see Ginn being our DH next year. If I'm Lemonis I'd actually start JT against Jackson State as a DH just to try to work him in.

I seen it dawg
02-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Would be great if we would work Ginn similar to Mckay from Louisville a few yrs ago.

BrunswickDawg
02-25-2019, 08:25 AM

If you knew it was 15 years old it sounds like you got it.**

Jones is the guy with a high upside and is better than the starter like Yadi when he first came up with the Cardinals. Had to work on some things though.

Skelton is the guy that is a veteran and a good leader but has a much lower ceiling.

Maybe he just knows math?***

smootness
02-25-2019, 09:41 AM
I believe a catcher's value comes from the following, in order:

1. Receiving skills
2. Rapport with pitchers
3. Offense
4. Throwing out runners
5. Blocking balls in the dirt

I honestly don't know how well Skelton does the first 2, or how well Jones does them. I do believe, though, that they are more important than a catcher's arm. Controlling the run game is important, but it doesn't impact games as consistently as receiving the ball, especially in college, where umpires are worse than in pro baseball.

So it's possible Skelton is much better at the first 2 than Jones, in which case I would want Skelton starting more than Jones.

I seen it dawg
02-25-2019, 02:00 PM
I believe a catcher's value comes from the following, in order:

1. Receiving skills
2. Rapport with pitchers
3. Offense
4. Throwing out runners
5. Blocking balls in the dirt

I honestly don't know how well Skelton does the first 2, or how well Jones does them. I do believe, though, that they are more important than a catcher's arm. Controlling the run game is important, but it doesn't impact games as consistently as receiving the ball, especially in college, where umpires are worse than in pro baseball.

So it's possible Skelton is much better at the first 2 than Jones, in which case I would want Skelton starting more than Jones.

I'd put leadership, receiving and blocking all at 1 way above the rest. The rest is gravy. If you don't have the 3 first you're a backup. You can win with a catcher not being able to throw well bc you can help control the running game from the mound. Hit .220 and handle the bat and it's fine offensively. You can't be a catcher worth a shit if you don't have the first 3 I listed.

Commercecomet24
02-25-2019, 02:35 PM
I'd put leadership, receiving and blocking all at 1 way above the rest. The rest is gravy. If you don't have the 3 first you're a backup. You can win with a catcher not being able to throw well bc you can help control the running game from the mound. Hit .220 and handle the bat and it's fine offensively. You can't be a catcher worth a shit if you don't have the first 3 I listed.

Spot on.

smootness
02-25-2019, 02:57 PM

That's fair. I do think receiving is definitely bigger than blocking, though.

StarkVegasSteve
02-25-2019, 03:29 PM
Skelton is the veteran and knows how to handle the staff. I would imagine he'll start for the foreseeable future unless Jones' bat makes it impossible to keep him out of the lineup.

I seen it dawg
02-25-2019, 07:00 PM
That's fair. I do think receiving is definitely bigger than blocking, though.

I lump them together as one. Because it takes work to do both well it usual shows that a good catcher does both well or both are deficient.

smootness
02-25-2019, 07:03 PM
I lump them together as one. Because it takes work to do both well it usual shows that a good catcher does both well or both are deficient.

Agreed, good thoughts

HoopsDawg
02-25-2019, 07:47 PM
I'll say this about Skelton, he had a great AB Friday to extend the game. And after he got to first I saw him mutter "mother fcker" basically toward the USM team. He went up in my book after that.

I seen it dawg
02-25-2019, 08:01 PM
Lol,saw that too. He's got some shit in his neck at least.

Jarius
02-26-2019, 02:37 AM

He hit over .300 in the fall and in spring scrimmages. He has turned a corner and will probably be in the lineup. His approach at the plate looks much better than at any point last year.

Matty Dispatch
02-26-2019, 07:10 AM

People are always jumping to the next big thing. Let's give Skelton a chance as a junior, he might just come into his own. Hunter Renfroe hit .160 as a freshman and .252 as a sophomore. It's happened time and time again that a player struggles for a couple of years as they are feeling their way and gaining experience only to explode as upperclassmen.

I seen it dawg
02-26-2019, 02:02 PM
Don't think anyone is throwing Skelton out at this point. There is no denying Jones is very talented and probably moreso than Skelton. That being said it looks right now Skelton is providing things we need and things he needs to do to be the starter. He's ahead of Jones.

TStationDawg
02-26-2019, 02:12 PM
Completely disagree Smootness (which is rare). Offense for a catcher is not #3; 4 or 5 at best. And blocking balls in the dirt is not #5.
I agree with your #1. Then I would go:
2. Rapport with Pitchers (Only because it directly correlates with #3 which is....)
3. Blocking Balls in Dirt
4. Throwing out base runners
5. Offense

smootness
02-26-2019, 02:15 PM
Completely disagree Smootness (which is rare). Offense for a catcher is not #3; 4 or 5 at best. And blocking balls in the dirt is not #5.
I agree with your #1. Then I would go:
2. Rapport with Pitchers (Only because it directly correlates with #3 which is....)
3. Blocking Balls in Dirt
4. Throwing out base runners
5. Offense

Offense has far more of an impact over a season than throwing out runners. I get what you're saying, though, you value all facets of defense for catcher before considering offense. Still, though, I can handle a catcher who doesn't control the run game super well if he mashes. Mike Piazza worked out ok.

I seen it dawg
02-26-2019, 02:19 PM
Throwing out runners is the last on my list. It's great and is a valuable tool if you have it but the other stuff I would rather have if I had to make a choice. And offense is barely above throwing for me. You can win championships with a catcher that doesn't throw or hit. You can't if your catcher only throws and hits well. Not in today's college baseball.

smootness
02-26-2019, 02:39 PM
Throwing out runners is the last on my list. It's great and is a valuable tool if you have it but the other stuff I would rather have if I had to make a choice. And offense is barely above throwing for me. You can win championships with a catcher that doesn't throw or hit. You can't if your catcher only throws and hits well. Not in today's college baseball.

I basically agree. I think you can get away with having little offense at any one position if the defense is good enough, just like I think you can get away with little defense at most positions if the offense is good enough. I do agree that catching is different, though, in that a catcher who doesn't receive well makes it so much tougher on your whole pitching staff as it affects every pitch you throw.

And yes, I put throwing out runners dead last. It's technically part of a catcher's defense, but it doesn't affect nearly as much overall as receiving and leading.

I seen it dawg
02-26-2019, 02:42 PM
I basically agree. I think you can get away with having little offense at any one position if the defense is good enough, just like I think you can get away with little defense at most positions if the offense is good enough. I do agree that catching is different, though, in that a catcher who doesn't receive well makes it so much tougher on your whole pitching staff as it affects every pitch you throw.

And yes, I put throwing out runners dead last. It's technically part of a catcher's defense, but it doesn't affect nearly as much overall as receiving and leading.

Affects your whole team if they aren't proficient at receiving and blocking. Makes for long ass games.

Commercecomet24
02-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Affects your whole team if they aren't proficient at receiving and blocking. Makes for long ass games.

It's kinda funny but when a catcher is great at blocking and receiving nobody really notices but you get a guy back there without a clue and it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm gonna brag a little.My kids a junior and he's been starting since he was a freshman. He made 2 errors as a freshman and only 1 last year and only 6 passed balls in 2 years and not one runner has reached on a missed third strike. Heck last night against Petal blocked 4 third strike cbs in the dirt and got em all. Sorry about that little indulgence. A great defensive catcher is huge but he's gotta swing it a little too lol.

Homedawg
02-26-2019, 08:23 PM

I'm in agreement. Throwing is last. Too many people lose sight of the pitcher. Cole Gordon is slow to the plate, teams are gonna run. Etc. the order you have it is spot on. 100%

HoopsDawg
02-26-2019, 08:36 PM
It's kinda funny but when a catcher is great at blocking and receiving nobody really notices but you get a guy back there without a clue and it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm gonna brag a little.My kids a junior and he's been starting since he was a freshman. He made 2 errors as a freshman and only 1 last year and only 6 passed balls in 2 years and not one runner has reached on a missed third strike. Heck last night against Petal blocked 4 third strike cbs in the dirt and got em all. Sorry about that little indulgence. A great defensive catcher is huge but he's gotta swing it a little too lol.

That's awesome bro!! I'm sure you have spent hours upon hours working with him. Great job.

Cowbell
02-26-2019, 09:11 PM

How?s it looking on the recruiting front CC? Would love to see him in maroon.