PDA

View Full Version : Good write up on Ginn and Skelton by D1baseball

CadaverDawg
02-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Those of us wanting to see some Hayden Jones might as well let that go for a while it appears.. Not a bad problem to have. I'm pleased so far

https://d1baseball.com/columns/ginn-skelton-give-msu-reason-for-excitement/

Todd4State
02-23-2019, 10:06 PM
The thing about Skelton last year was:

1. We didn't really have anyone devoted to coaching the catchers. This was exacerbated when Cann left because it thinned our staff out that much more. We have that now and while Skelton is no Yadier Molina- he is improved.

2. We really only had Skelton and Gilbert last year and Skelton was just a sophomore who really probably wasn't ready and we had to play him a lot.

I remember Barry Patton who was a pretty good catcher for us struggling at the plate his freshman and sophomore years too before he turned it on his junior year.

Homedawg
02-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Those of us wanting to see some Hayden Jones might as well let that go for a while it appears.. Not a bad problem to have. I'm pleased so far

https://d1baseball.com/columns/ginn-skelton-give-msu-reason-for-excitement/

I'll say it again, we've had not one, not two, but three different head coaches continue to put him in the lineup. The head coach wants to win more than any jackass here, including me. So either they are stupid and don't know shit or maybe he's a good player and has shown it to them. Now, with that said, he's not perfect and won't hit two hr every game and will piss me off w a passed ball at some point, he's playing for a reason. And yes I think jones will play and get better and better. He has a hose!!

Todd4State
02-23-2019, 10:45 PM
I'll say it again, we've had not one, not two, but three different head coaches continue to put him in the lineup. The head coach wants to win more than any jackass here, including me. So either they are stupid and don't know shit or maybe he's a good player and has shown it to them. Now, with that said, he's not perfect and won't hit two hr every game and will piss me off w a passed ball at some point, he's playing for a reason. And yes I think jones will play and get better and better. He has a hose!!

Jones definitely has a much higher upside than Skelton and will be a better player once his career is over. I could still see us starting Skelton on Friday and Saturday and then catching Jones on Sunday with a four year pitcher in Keegan James who is more mature than most pitchers. As hot as Skelton is I'm guessing we start him Sunday.

AlSwearengen
02-23-2019, 11:18 PM
Jones definitely has a much higher upside than Skelton and will be a better player once his career is over. I could still see us starting Skelton on Friday and Saturday and then catching Jones on Sunday with a four year pitcher in Keegan James who is more mature than most pitchers. As hot as Skelton is I'm guessing we start him Sunday.

Does Jordan start at 2B tomorrow and Jones DH or does Hatcher DH? I’m assuming usm’s starter is a rightie.

Homedawg
02-24-2019, 12:01 AM

Upside no question. Agree.

TNDawg35
02-24-2019, 01:28 AM
I’ll eat crow. I fig Skelton was a given out. He shut me up. However I still don’t have a lot of confidence in him throwing runners out. But you have to stay with the hot hand. Keep Skelton playing and give Jones a shot every once in awhile, maybe on mid wk games. If Skelton gets sloppy or lazy like last yr, Jones is ready.

Todd4State
02-24-2019, 01:31 AM
Does Jordan start at 2B tomorrow and Jones DH or does Hatcher DH? I’m assuming usm’s starter is a rightie.

Assuming that USM throws a RHP I would move Landon Jordan to second and DH Hatcher. If it's a LHP I'm guessing Lemonis will DH Gilbert again. I'd like to see Cumbest get more AB's.

Jarius
02-24-2019, 06:26 AM
We have to figure out second base. That is the only place in the lineup that is almost a guaranteed out right now. Skelton should catch or DH every game unless he needs a day off. He is solid. The kid that's been starting at second just doesn't have it right now and unless he makes some major changes to his swing he's not going to hit SEC pitching consistently.