PDA

View Full Version : Men's team has a real shot at a good run in the NCAA

mstatefan91
02-23-2019, 08:52 PM
If we can get over our periodic slumps (like the 1st half tonight), we could make it Sweet 16 IMO. Holman looked like a rejuvenated player tonight and Reggie Perry is just a grown ass man.

If we get Nick back, watch out. The depth on this team is built for a tournament run. Hail State

msbulldog
02-23-2019, 08:58 PM
Well Nick is still on the bench, that's a good sign.

MetEdDawg
02-23-2019, 09:05 PM
We played like dog crap for almost half of this game. Ended up winning by 15. This team is resilient and can do things to get back into games.

Andy Kennedy said it after the game. This team has a lot of weapons. Perry is great. Peters can get to the lane and can hit 3's. Q is so multiple and can score from anywhere. Carter can drive and hit the 3. Woodard can post up, hit mid range, and hit 3. Holman can stretch the defense and handle the ball.

We've got a quality team. Would love for us to push to the 4 or 5 line. That game @Auburm will be hard but they are reeling right now and have a rough schedule to end the season. If they screw up against Georgia they could miss the tournament ending with us, @Bama, and Tennessee.

dawgday166
02-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Not buying yet.

Our PG is too emotional IMO. He has to let the game come to him. He sets the tone. When we're competing against each other for shots ... not good. When we relax and share the ball ... much better. Will say I was pleased with whatever Howland did to right the ship at the half today.

So we just beat Bama, Arky, Ga, and SC. Not exactly the upper tier of SEC teams. We play like we did today against LSU, KY, or TN and we lose by between 20 and 30 most likely. Longer better guards will be a challenge for us I'm thinking.

IF we finish pretty strong AND make a deep SEC tourney run (at least 4th and would prefer 3rd or better) ... then I'll consider buying.

Ari Gold
02-23-2019, 10:00 PM
Not buying yet.

Our PG is too emotional IMO. He has to let the game come to him. He sets the tone. When we're competing against each other for shots ... not good. When we relax and share the ball ... much better. Will say I was pleased with whatever Howland did to right the ship at the half today.

So we just beat Bama, Arky, Ga, and SC. Not exactly the upper tier of SEC teams. We play like we did today against LSU, KY, or TN and we lose by between 20 and 30 most likely. Longer better guards will be a challenge for us I'm thinking.

IF we finish pretty strong AND make a deep SEC tourney run (at least 4th and would prefer 3rd or better) ... then I'll consider buying.

Well let’s see Arky beat LSU in Baton Rouge
Bama beat UK

And we lose to LSU in ot and UK in the final 1:00
Not sure what more it’s going to take for you to buy in...

A sign of a really good team is when you you don’t play well at all in the first half and still win by 10+
And when you go on the road without a key starter and win both games.

Maybe you should just be a Duke or Kentucky fan......

Lord McBuckethead
02-23-2019, 10:01 PM
If they play like the first 25 minutes, no reason to even go to the tourney. If they play like the last 35, then dang we could beat some teams.

chef dixon
02-23-2019, 10:10 PM
I thought Peters overall really controlled the pace of the game today

msbulldog
02-23-2019, 10:22 PM
Well let’s see Arky beat LSU in Baton Rouge
Bama beat UK

And we lose to LSU in ot and UK in the final 1:00
Not sure what more it’s going to take for you to buy in...

A sign of a really good team is when you you don’t play well at all in the first half and still win by 10+
And when you go on the road without a key starter and win both games.

Maybe you should just be a Duke or Kentucky fan......

You are so right!

BB30
02-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Not buying yet.

We have been in just about every single game we have played this year. This team is good. I don’t know what isn’t to buy, your playing a lot of if this happened or we played like this against said team but we weren’t we were playing sc who by the way was 9-4 going into today.

UGA isn’t the same team they were six weeks ago, they have been very competitive over the last three weeks. Winning at Arkansas is something we aren’t very good at and this team did it.

They may not make it to the sweet 16 but they most certainly have the talent, depth, and potential to get there.

RougeDawg
02-23-2019, 10:32 PM
If they play like the first 25 minutes, no reason to even go to the tourney. If they play like the last 35, then dang we could beat some teams.

Damn. That?s a long ass game!! Just messin.

Liverpooldawg
02-23-2019, 10:35 PM
If we can get over our periodic slumps (like the 1st half tonight), we could make it Sweet 16 IMO. Holman looked like a rejuvenated player tonight and Reggie Perry is just a grown ass man.

If we get Nick back, watch out. The depth on this team is built for a tournament run. Hail State

Just getting to the Dance would be immense. We had basically had no program when we fired Ray. Howland has done one of the better coching jobs I've ever seen with this program. We still have some work to do but if we dance, he is up there with Williams and Mullen as far as I'm concerned.

chef dixon
02-23-2019, 10:37 PM
Just getting to the Dance would be immense. We had basically no program when we fired Ray. Howland has done one of the better coching jobs I've ever seen with this program. We still have some work to do but if we dance, he is up there with Williams and Mullen as far as I'm concerned.

"If" we dance is not a thing anymore

DancingRabbit
02-23-2019, 10:50 PM
Just getting to the Dance would be immense. We had basically no program when we fired Ray. Howland has done one of the better coching jobs I've ever seen with this program. We still have some work to do but if we dance, he is up there with Williams and Mullen as far as I'm concerned.

No, getting to the dance is pretty much done. I'm with you on supporting Ben, he looks to be on schedule. He's recruited at a level higher than expected but doesn't get much credit for his coaching. Either he can coach or the whole team needed to take a ryan's type shit at halftime.

yjnkdawg
02-23-2019, 11:03 PM
If they play like the first 15 minutes, no reason to even go to the tourney. If they play like the last 25, then dang we could beat some teams.

I corrected it for you.

yjnkdawg
02-23-2019, 11:08 PM
Not buying yet.

Actually it begin about the last 5 minutes of the first half, but I am also glad he righted the ship. Not buying in, huh? Carry on then while most of us have already bought in.

dawgday166
02-23-2019, 11:22 PM
NM

msbulldog
02-23-2019, 11:28 PM

Definitely a fine recruiting job. I think Stans was a better recruiter and we miss a Robert Kirby as an x's and o's or a disciplinarian.

dawgday166
02-23-2019, 11:57 PM
We have been in just about every single game we have played this year. This team is good. I don?t know what isn?t to buy, your playing a lot of if this happened or we played like this against said team but we weren?t we were playing sc who by the way was 9-4 going into today.

UGA isn?t the same team they were six weeks ago, they have been very competitive over the last three weeks. Winning at Arkansas is something we aren?t very good at and this team did it.

They may not make it to the sweet 16 but they most certainly have the talent, depth, and potential to get there.

I didn't say I would never buy in. I just said I'm not buying yet. It depends on how we finish and how we do in the SEC tourney.

You don't win pools by remembering games in Dec/Jan/early Feb. In fact it's best that you don't even watch during those months. I know from experience. You don't win pools by justifying your results or remembering how you or another team looked in Dec/Jan/early Feb either.

You win pools by paying attention to what happens in late Feb/early March. And conference tourney outcomes matter A LOT. Doesn't mean that a conference tourney winner can't bomb out early in NCAAs ... but a team that bombs early in conference tourneys never goes very far in NCAA. There is a rare couple of exceptions but it is mostly a given. It has to be a top-tier team for me to buy in before conference tourneys are over. And then if they bomb in conference tourney ... I'll most likely change my mind.

This is a Jekyll & Hyde team to me. And I don't trust Peters ... I just don't. The team is talented and certainly enough to get to Sweet 16 with the right draw or a 4-6 seed probably. We'll see how rest of season and SEC tourney goes.

ETA: You also don't win pools by letting your heart get in the way of objective observation.

Liverpooldawg
02-24-2019, 12:42 AM
"If" we dance is not a thing anymore

We still have work to do.....doable work though.

Liverpooldawg
02-24-2019, 12:44 AM
No, getting to the dance is pretty much done. I'm with you on supporting Ben, he looks to be on schedule. He's recruited at a level higher than expected but doesn't get much credit for his coaching. Either he can coach or the whole team needed to take a ryan's type shit at halftime.

Unlike most of you here I'm not convinced of the talent. One aspect of talent is to be able to work together with your teammates. That's where our talent is lacking. Howland has worked miracles, and in a very short time given the magnitude of the task.

mstatefan91
02-24-2019, 01:13 AM
Definitely a fine recruiting job. I think Stans was a better recruiter and we miss a Robert Kirby as an x's and o's or a disciplinarian.

Stan never had classes like these.. Now, Stan did a lot with what he got for the most part... kinda collapsed on him at the end.

mstatefan91
02-24-2019, 01:15 AM
We still have work to do.....doable work though.

We need 2 more wins out of 5 guaranteed games.. Win Mizzou and TAMU and it's a done deal... Win 3/4 to end the regular season and we move up in seeding..

Basically, 22 is the magic number in my mind.. 21 is borderline..

mstatefan91
02-24-2019, 01:17 AM
I didn't say I would never buy in. I just said I'm not buying yet. It depends on how we finish and how we do in the SEC tourney.

You don't win pools by remembering games in Dec/Jan/early Feb. In fact it's best that you don't even watch during those months. I know from experience. You don't win pools by justifying your results or remembering how you or another team looked in Dec/Jan/early Feb either.

You win pools by paying attention to what happens in late Feb/early March. And conference tourney outcomes matter A LOT. Doesn't mean that a conference tourney winner can't bomb out early in NCAAs ... but a team that bombs early in conference tourneys never goes very far in NCAA. There is a rare couple of exceptions but it is mostly a given. It has to be a top-tier team for me to buy in before conference tourneys are over. And then if they bomb in conference tourney ... I'll most likely change my mind.

This is a Jekyll & Hyde team to me. And I don't trust Peters ... I just don't. The team is talented and certainly enough to get to Sweet 16 with the right draw or a 4-6 seed probably. We'll see how rest of season and SEC tourney goes.

ETA: You also don't win pools by letting your heart get in the way of objective observation.

Just buy in.. The worst that could happen is a heart breaking end of the season like we are accustomed to.. The best is very very high. We could have a really good post-season.. just buy in.. Support these boys. They have certainly bought in even with the quirks.

dawgday166
02-24-2019, 01:24 AM
Just buy in.. The worst that could happen is a heart breaking end of the season like we are accustomed to.. The best is very very high. We could have a really good post-season.. just buy in.. Support these boys. They have certainly bought in even with the quirks.

LOL. Is this Gene's Page or what ****

I'm supporting them and never said I wasn't. My expectations just aren't very high and I'm not gonna be hollering everything is sunshine and roses right now either. We're winning. We gotta sometime here in the immediate future start getting even better tho.

I will say however that our current draw has Az St then probably Kansas in 2nd round. Haven't watched Kansas this year but they got smoked today by TCU. That's a good thing if they stay in our draw. I actually might would pick S. Dakota St. to upset Kansas if I were in a pool right now ... today. Anyway, I would have a pretty decent level of confidence in us to Sweet 16 with current draw. Coming back like we did today was a very good thing. Maybe we can build off of it.

mstatefan91
02-24-2019, 02:27 AM
LOL. Is this Gene's Page or what **** Nope. Just asking you to support the team

I'm supporting them and never said I wasn't. My expectations just aren't very high and I'm not gonna be hollering everything is sunshine and roses right now either. We're winning. We gotta sometime here in the immediate future start getting even better tho. What the hell does this mean?

I will say however that our current draw has Az St then probably Kansas in 2nd round. Haven't watched Kansas this year but they got smoked today by TCU. That's a good thing if they stay in our draw. I actually might would pick S. Dakota St. to upset Kansas if I were in a pool right now ... today. Anyway, I would have a pretty decent level of confidence in us to Sweet 16 with current draw. Coming back like we did today was a very good thing. Maybe we can build off of it.

Ok I don't mean this mean but you even tried to edit this and it turned out bad.. just support the damn team..

Cooterpoot
02-24-2019, 07:34 AM
Nobody expects us to make a huge run but damn, making the tournament is huge for the program. Maybe we get hot like in the NIT last year. Who knows.

MetEdDawg
02-24-2019, 07:40 AM
Nobody expects us to make a huge run but damn, making the tournament is huge for the program. Maybe we get hot like in the NIT last year. Who knows.

These are my thoughts. I'm not expecting anything special to happen this year although you could make a case that just making the tournament is special considering how long it's been. We have to learn how to win in the big dance because it's been a long time since we've been in.

But I do think we should win our 1st round game. I don't think we get lower than a 7 seed based on remaining schedule. Need to stay off the 8/9 line. Our 2nd game should be competitive with a potential win depending on matchup. This team has Sweet 16 potential unquestionably.

msstate7
02-24-2019, 07:57 AM
LOL. Is this Gene's Page or what ****

I'm supporting them and never said I wasn't. My expectations just aren't very high and I'm not gonna be hollering everything is sunshine and roses right now either. We're winning. We gotta sometime here in the immediate future start getting even better tho.

Texas tech beat Kansas, not tcu. That was a payback game... Kansas beat them by 16 at Kansas. TT is very good. Since that Kansas road loss, they've beat WV by 31, OK by 12 (road), OK st by 28 (road), Baylor by 25, and Kansas by 29. TT is an elite 8 type team.

Virginia is gonna win it all this year BTW

Schultzy
02-24-2019, 08:27 AM
The suspension has forced us in to more minutes for Carter which has made us better - he makes better decisions with the ball than Lamar or Nick. (Although we will need one or both to play well to advance)

When Lamar gets hot from 3 he completely takes over a game, he also distributed better yesterday as well.

BrunswickDawg
02-24-2019, 08:51 AM

Who TF cares how you decide who to pick in your basketball pool? That's not what this is about. This is about supporting the team that you are a fan of "supposedly".

You know how to win basketball pools? Buy two spots in the pool. Pick one straight chaulk, pick the other with your gut. It ain't rocket surgery and it doesn't have jack to do with supporting this team.

gravedigger
02-24-2019, 08:59 AM

I was at the game behind our goal in the first half.

Frank had his team in a matchup pressure zone forcing us to take the long shots. It was a pretty good strategy. We couldn?t penetrate and that is by design. Refs swallowed the whistle on contact inside.

Problem was they couldn?t sustain that for the whole 1st half or game and they eventually got lazy and started fouling.

Howland didn?t make an adjustment if you believe his post game comments. He just kept the offense aggressive.

dawgday166
02-24-2019, 09:02 AM
Texas tech beat Kansas, not tcu. That was a payback game... Kansas beat them by 16 at Kansas. TT is very good. Since that Kansas road loss, they've beat WV by 31, OK by 12 (road), OK st by 28 (road), Baylor by 25, and Kansas by 29. TT is an elite 8 type team.

Virginia is gonna win it all this year BTW

Gotcha ... messed up on that score. Did a little quick glance on Kansas' schedule and posted off top of my head when it was late.

Last year when I watched Virginia (for the 1st time) get knocked out of tourney, I couldn't believe they were a 1 seed. They had length but were slooowww. Maybe they were just uptight ... but they looked really bad.

But ... since you tend to watch much more objectively than most and understand the games better than most, I'm guessing you have a good shot to be right on this. I'm paying almost no attention to the whole hoops landscape and hadn't in years. Did watch UNC play some yesterday tho. We come out like we did yesterday and we most likely lose by 30+ to them.

MetEdDawg
02-24-2019, 09:05 AM
I was at the game behind our goal in the first half.

Frank had his team in a matchup pressure zone forcing us to take the long shots. It was a pretty good strategy. We couldn?t penetrate and that is by design. Refs swallowed the whistle on contact inside.

Problem was they couldn?t sustain that for the whole 1st half or game and they eventually got lazy and started fouling.

Howland didn?t make an adjustment if you believe his post game comments. He just kept the offense aggressive.

SC stayed in that pressure too long. They were gassed at the end of the first half and that allowed us to get within 7. Then we just kept it working.

What I liked is we made the pressure guy run all over the damn place. We would pass the ball al the way across the court and that guy had to run back and forth and back and forth. Wore them down and they just couldn't keep up. Peters could get into the paint whenever he wanted and the lanes were wide open for a dish to a big man.

By the time Martin made a change it was too late. We had already grabbed a lead and momentum and his players physically were done.

dawgday166
02-24-2019, 09:09 AM
Who TF cares how you decide who to pick in your basketball pool? That's not what this is about. This is about supporting the team that you are a fan of "supposedly".

You know how to win basketball pools? Buy two spots in the pool. Pick one straight chaulk, pick the other with your gut. It ain't rocket surgery and it doesn't have jack to do with supporting this team.

The topic was this team making a deep run in the tourney. And I wasn't seeing it. I'm really saying how we need to finish. I won't say we'll make a deep run in the tourney unless I think we will. And I don't believe we play good team ball, O and D consistently.

I've tried and have been patient with Peters, but I'm coming to the conclusion that he ain't gonna take us there. He did come back and play better in 2nd half yesterday tho, but the competition wasn't top tier either. And I'm starting to lose some faith in Howland with his substitution and leaving Woodard on the bench so much at times.

Ari Gold
02-24-2019, 09:29 AM
The topic was this team making a deep run in the tourney. And I wasn't seeing it. I'm really saying how we need to finish. I won't say we'll make a deep run in the tourney unless I think we will. And I don't believe we play good team ball, O and D consistently.

I've tried and have been patient with Peters, but I'm coming to the conclusion that he ain't gonna take us there. He did come back and play better in 2nd half yesterday tho, but the competition wasn't top tier either. And I'm starting to lose some faith in Howland with his substitution and leaving Woodard on the bench so much at times.

I love the Genes Page reference.. so rich
No one on here is predicting this team is a lock for the elite 8 or even the sweet 16
But ****s like you can’t even seem to get excited about FINALLY making it back to the dance. A place that we haven’t been in a decade and a place where we ARE NOT accustomed to being.
Maybe you don’t understand hoops. It’s not college football. Teams like Butler, VCU, GW ( a While back ) hell even USCe just a few years ago prove that.
A team can get hot , get a good draw and make a run.

You just threw out a shit post and getting called out on it.. If anyone can’t get behind this team then do the rest of us a favor stop following them win or lose.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-24-2019, 09:32 AM
The suspension has forced us in to more minutes for Carter which has made us better - he makes better decisions with the ball than Lamar or Nick.

Both Nick & Lamar have better assist to turnover ratios than Tyson. He doesn't really make better decisions than either we just don't belabor his turnovers like the other 2 especially Lamar.

dawgday166
02-24-2019, 09:55 AM
I love the Genes Page reference.. so rich
No one on here is predicting this team is a lock for the elite 8 or even the sweet 16
But ****s like you can?t even seem to get excited about FINALLY making it back to the dance. A place that we haven?t been in a decade and a place where we ARE NOT accustomed to being.
Maybe you don?t understand hoops. It?s not college football. Teams like Butler, VCU, GW ( a While back ) hell even USCe just a few years ago prove that.
A team can get hot , get a good draw and make a run.

You just threw out a shit post and getting called out on it.. If anyone can?t get behind this team then do the rest of us a favor stop following them win or lose.

As to getting excited about making it back to the tourney, I am glad we're back in it. If we're one and done tho that won't thrill me too much. BUT it is progress and Ben may be building something here.

I do understand hoops, better than you do. You come across as the God of hoops and you're not. You understand it about like recruiting, average.

I'm well aware of getting hot and making runs. My statement was I ain't buying a long tourney run yet. I'm not against the team ... just calling it like I see it now. I also went on to say it depends on how we finish and how we do and look in the SEC tourney. Which means if we finish strong and get hot then I'll buy asshole.

Ari Gold
02-24-2019, 10:06 AM
Let me explain something to the basketball dummies.
This isn’t college football . Take that mentality and leave it back in the fall.. it’s not the same and it’s not even close
And yes we all get it , if we play like we did yesterday in the first half or like we did at UGA we wouldn’t beat any of the big boys. But we still won those games . Says a lot about this team and coach

Come The Big Dance . It’s not a best of 7 series . It’s one night. Yes if we played Tenn, UK , Duke ect in a best of 7 they would get to 4 wins first no one is probably going to question that. But it’s a one and done . No one plays well every ****ing night and that’s all it takes. No home court advantages , Assholes can get real tight, ect....

And this isn’t rainbows or unicorns when people on here get fired up about what this team may can do come tourney time. So far this year we have been in every game and a chance to them all except ONE. How many teams can say that? We have won road games, neutral site games, come from behind wins , 3-0 now with a key starter not playing.
We basically know who and what this team is now.. the only uncertainty is Nick, will we get him back
If we can it only makes us more dangerous come March, and if can’t buy into and get behind this team then don’t bother

Ari Gold
02-24-2019, 10:08 AM
As to getting excited about making it back to the tourney, I am glad we're back in it. If we're one and done tho that won't thrill me too much. BUT it is progress and Ben may be building something here.

I do understand hoops, better than you do. You come across as the God of hoops and you're not. You understand it about like recruiting, average.

I'm well aware of getting hot and making runs. My statement was I ain't buying a long tourney run yet. I'm not against the team ... just calling it like I see it now. I also went on to say it depends on how we finish and how we do and look in the SEC tourney. Which means if we finish strong and get hot then I'll buy asshole.

Trust me kid, you don’t.

dawgday166
02-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Trust me kid, you don?t.

You're like Peters ... you think you're twice as good as you are.

timotheus
02-24-2019, 10:25 AM
166, better consume lotta agua. Mite need it to win a pissin contest. You stepped on your own d*ck in one of you posts and you only keep digging a deeper hole. Jusy my personal opinion is that you remind me of peters. He was a project and still is one who has incredible talent but never seems to be consistent unless he's the "star". Maybe we get hot and make it to the elite * and you can come on here an claim that you predicted it on feb 24, 2019. Over and out.

chef dixon
02-24-2019, 10:47 AM
We need 2 more wins out of 5 guaranteed games.. Win Mizzou and TAMU and it's a done deal... Win 3/4 to end the regular season and we move up in seeding..

Basically, 22 is the magic number in my mind.. 21 is borderline..

Both you guys are thinking scared, as I admittedly was up until these last 2 wins. Our resume by the metrics is extremely good. Like better than any other 20 win team good. Even if we lost out (which the chances of that are extremely low), we are still dancing. If we go 2-2 with take care of home games as wins we are going to be a 6 to 8 seed, that does not make 22 a magic number.

tcdog70
02-24-2019, 10:53 AM
You're like Peters ... you think you're twice as good as you are.

Ha Dude , if this was a fist fight you would have a mud hole stomped in your ass. Any real MSU person should get behind this team. Not go on a message board and act like he is some kind of basketball Guru. You are in a corner by yourself, sometimes it is better to shut up and have people think your are an idiot than post and remove all doubt.