PDA

View Full Version : Scott Foxhall or is it Fixall or is it Genius

The Federalist Engineer
02-23-2019, 05:33 PM
We still lost yesterday but I gotta say that I am mighty impressed with Foxhall. Last year, Ethan Small needed 15-20 pitches per inning and was nearing 90 pitches in the 6th inning most games. I recall 98 pictches vs Vandy in 4 innings and 107 pitches in 6 vs Florida State

Last year Leibelt and Barlow were toxic waste, now they look alright.

Pilkington would have been a 1st round pick with this dude coaching him.

msstate7
02-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Pilk was throwing 88 last season. That's not gonna be 1st round. I do think foxhall is a great coach though... love our staff

Todd4State
02-23-2019, 05:49 PM
It's a totally different approach than Henderson. We attack the zone more and nibble less. A lot more modern approach using technology and Statcast stuff to our advantage.

Leibelt and Colby White have been very pleasant surprises for me. Barlow was hurt some last year so I'll give him a pass.

Pilkington is a top 30 prospect for the White Sox that got coached down last year.

I appreciate what Henderson did for us last year as a head coach but as a pitching coach he was average/below average. We were very fortunate to have some walk-offs and his bullpen management was pretty questionable too. There is a reason why we didn't bring him back, why Cohen criticized him on the air last year, and why no one has hired him. But after what he did keeping our team together last year he is always going to be OK in my book.

msbulldog
02-23-2019, 05:57 PM
I Agree Todd, greatful for what Hendy did, but we're better off coaching wise.

Commercecomet24
02-23-2019, 06:05 PM
Foxhall is one of the top 5 pitching coaches in the country, has been for awhile

Tbonewannabe
02-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Pilk was throwing 88 last season. That's not gonna be 1st round. I do think foxhall is a great coach though... love our staff

Pilk also threw pretty much 7 innings no matter the pitch count it seemed like. He was hitting 92-93 as a freshman.

msstate7
02-23-2019, 06:46 PM
Pilk also threw pretty much 7 innings no matter the pitch count it seemed like. He was hitting 92-93 as a freshman.

Velocity dropping is not a good thing

Choctaw Dawg
02-23-2019, 06:47 PM
The main take away at the moment: NO WALKS

Tbonewannabe
02-23-2019, 06:49 PM
Velocity dropping is not a good thing

I think he just got tired. It happens sometimes. He would have benefited from resting his arm for a few months.

msstate7
02-23-2019, 06:49 PM
The main take away at the moment: NO WALKS

Absolutely. We walked entirely too many last season

Todd4State
02-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Foxhall is one of the top 5 pitching coaches in the country, has been for awhile

Yep. To go along with Gautreau who is a top 5 hitting coach. And then Cheesebrough has done a great job with the catchers- which along with the pitching issues (mostly coaching) last year has been much improved.

And Lemonis has impressed me so far. He's very even keel and he lets his coaches do their job. So far, he has done a great job managing the team and we really haven't had very many questionable coaching moves. He wasn't the big name that Cohen promised- but I think he is going to be a big name very soon. I think we're very luck to have him.

MetEdDawg
02-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Foxhall walked into a good situation. But we've gotten good stuff from all of our pitchers. There's not one pitcher that has college experience that doesn't look better. They've all improved. And the freshmen look ready. It's early but damn do they look confident.

Todd4State
02-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Foxhall walked into a good situation. But we've gotten good stuff from all of our pitchers. There's not one pitcher that has college experience that doesn't look better. They've all improved. And the freshmen look ready. It's early but damn do they look confident.

Staff ERA of 1.47 and 80K to 13 BB's and 31 hits allowed in 55 innings.

TNDawg35
02-23-2019, 07:12 PM
We need to lock up everyone we have. I?m not worried about Lemonis, no one is gonna poach him from us. We are big enough in baseball to be one of the blue bloods. Cheesy isn?t going anywhere either. He has been attached to Leno, but lock Foxhall up. Make someone pay for him. It?s time for some continuity with the flagship sport.

And I fully believe Lemo is gonna Win a natty here. Just a matter of time.

Commercecomet24
02-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Yep. To go along with Gautreau who is a top 5 hitting coach. And then Cheesebrough has done a great job with the catchers- which along with the pitching issues (mostly coaching) last year has been much improved.

And Lemonis has impressed me so far. He's very even keel and he lets his coaches do their job. So far, he has done a great job managing the team and we really haven't had very many questionable coaching moves. He wasn't the big name that Cohen promised- but I think he is going to be a big name very soon. I think we're very luck to have him.

Spot on. Agree completely.

Choctaw Dawg
02-23-2019, 08:07 PM
We need to lock up everyone we have. I?m not worried about Lemonis, no one is gonna poach him from us. We are big enough in baseball to be one of the blue bloods. Cheesy isn?t going anywhere either. He has been attached to Leno, but lock Foxhall up. Make someone pay for him. It?s time for some continuity with the flagship sport.

And I fully believe Lemo is gonna Win a natty here. Just a matter of time.

I agree, I think its inevitable that Gautreau gets hired away after this season or the next but we need to throw the bank at Foxall.

TNDawg35
02-23-2019, 08:10 PM
I agree, I think its inevitable that Gautreau gets hired away after this season or the next but we need to throw the bank at Foxall.

If we keep winning it’s gonna happen. Gautreau will go. But the thing is Lemo is a heck of a hitting coach himself. We can stand to loose G if it comes to it. I don’t want to loose Foxhall.

msbulldog
02-23-2019, 08:13 PM
I think IB will take care of the BB coaches.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Last year after a few weekends I called out Henderson as PC. of the returning guys from '17 (Pilk, McQuary, Billingsly, and Gordon as the main ones iirc) none of them had improved in any meaningful category in the offseason under Henderson. Players should get better more often than not. Foxhaull is a real deal though you can already tell just from approach and end results he's on it.

I do worry about keeping Jake G though. I think after this year he gets a real SEC or near it level HC offer. Maybe FSU? This is Morrises' last season.

Choctaw Dawg
02-23-2019, 08:26 PM
Last year after a few weekends I called out Henderson as PC. of the returning guys from '17 (Pilk, McQuary, Billingsly, and Gordon as the main ones iirc) none of them had improved in any meaningful category in the offseason under Henderson. Players should get better more often than not. Foxhaull is a real deal though you can already tell just from approach and end results he's on it.

I do worry about keeping Jake G though. I think after this year he gets a real SEC or near it level HC offer. Maybe FSU? This is Morrises' last season.

I would think FSU would go after a proven head coach and not an assistant, FSU would be an offer you wouldn't refuse as an assistant.

Tbonewannabe
02-23-2019, 08:54 PM
Unlike other sports, we are the blue blood of baseball. Unless someone gets a good Head Coach position then we will keep our staff.

yjnkdawg
02-23-2019, 11:15 PM

I think if the need arises, Foxall will have a well compensated new contract offer, and we won't lose him due to another program paying more.

Gutter Cobreh
02-24-2019, 12:06 AM
After 6 games and we're already discussing coaches potentially leaving?

Get a grip folks. We're early in the season and the team looks great; enjoy the ride and suppress the urge to worry about potential staff changes until the end of the year...

bulldogcountry1
02-24-2019, 08:16 AM
I think he just got tired. It happens sometimes. He would have benefited from resting his arm for a few months.

The thing about Pilk is that he he was always drenched with sweat after 10 pitches. I'm sure he was in good physical condition, but he's a big guy. The pitching strategy made him labor much more than he should, and I think it wore him down.

ShotgunDawg
02-24-2019, 08:36 AM

Disagree. Not going to get into the real reasons but some where on Hendy and others on Pilk

ShotgunDawg
02-24-2019, 08:40 AM
After 6 games and we're already discussing coaches potentially leaving?

Get a grip folks. We're early in the season and the team looks great; enjoy the ride and suppress the urge to worry about potential staff changes until the end of the year...

Agree 100%.

It's absurd and frankly silly since the ones saying it don't know the industry

gravedigger
02-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Agree 100%.

There is now nothing absurd on this board after football and recruiting season.

And of ALL people, YOU should know it.

We are a few weeks removed from people suggesting on this board that Cohen should be fired because Lemonis wasn?t a splash hire.

BrunswickDawg
02-24-2019, 09:15 AM
There is now nothing absurd on this board after football and recruiting season.

And of ALL people, YOU should know it.

We are a few weeks removed from people suggesting on this board that Cohen should be fired because Lemonis wasn?t a splash hire.

Few weeks? Try about 10 days.

shoeless joe
02-24-2019, 09:49 AM
Agree 100%.

Not knowing what you’re talking about has never stopped you...

Red Sox Dawg
02-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Not knowing what you’re talking about has never stopped you...

+1. Rep given

Political Hack
02-24-2019, 12:16 PM
Only thing we haven't done well is hit the ball to the gaps Friday night. Other than that, it's pretty hard to complain about anything so far.

I seen it dawg
02-24-2019, 12:36 PM
I remember getting blasted for ripping henderson for his pitching coach abilities...and I loved it because i knew a Foxhall was out there and it's what we needed. Pound. The. ****ing. Zone. I was yelling it and now we see why.

Pound the zone, quick tempo, don't be cute. It's the recipe for success and it's simple.

Commercecomet24
02-24-2019, 08:40 PM
I remember getting blasted for ripping henderson for his pitching coach abilities...and I loved it because i knew a Foxhall was out there and it's what we needed. Pound. The. ****ing. Zone. I was yelling it and now we see why.

Pound the zone, quick tempo, don't be cute. It's the recipe for success and it's simple.

Amen!!! Work fast, throw strikes, don't nibble and attack hitters.