PDA

View Full Version : Several Ole Miss basketball players kneel during anthem

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-23-2019, 03:52 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/NealMcCready/status/1099405467762200577

And here we go...

Scared_Hitless
02-23-2019, 04:06 PM
Well they did have a Klan rally on campus today so not that shocking.

deadheaddawg
02-23-2019, 04:06 PM
lol at caring about this.

Cooterpoot
02-23-2019, 04:08 PM
I think it's all stupid, but it's their right. OM is close to going full blown MO. And that Klan rally is garbage too, but it's their right I guess.

AlSwearengen
02-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Aren’t they a little late to the party?

Jarius
02-23-2019, 04:16 PM
Well they did have a Klan rally on campus today so not that shocking.

They wear a confederate nickname across their chest every time they put on an ole miss jersey.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-23-2019, 04:16 PM
They are a Nike school....

deadheaddawg
02-23-2019, 04:17 PM
Love Nike. Wish we were a Nike school

RocketDawg
02-23-2019, 04:20 PM
Love Nike. Wish we were a Nike school

And risk blown-out shoes?? **

Dawg61
02-23-2019, 04:22 PM
Don't have Klan rally's on your campus the same day you have basketball games and you lessen your chances of players protesting it. Better yet don't have Klan rally's on your campus.

deadheaddawg
02-23-2019, 04:23 PM
And risk blown-out shoes?? **

No. At the risk of blown out idiot fans. I would love to see the melts from grown men if we were to change to Nike.

Also Nike is very well run. They played all of this perfectly. The idiots who called for boycotts were made to look like fools

It was all great entertainment

chef dixon
02-23-2019, 04:25 PM
People need to stop being so sensitive to what other people are doing, period

deadheaddawg
02-23-2019, 04:28 PM
Don't have Klan rally's on your campus the same day you have basketball games and you lessen your chances of players protesting it. Better yet don't have Klan rally's on your campus.

Or here is an idea.

Don't make a huge deal about a few idiots in Confederate clothing.

Also don't make a huge deal about a few idiot athletes kneeling for the anthem.

The vast majority of people in this country have nothing to do with the Confederacy and also don't act unusual around the national anthem.

There will ALWAYS be small groups of people that go against the norm. That seek attention. They are just plain stupid.

So what? Who cares. It's not the .0001% of humans doing dumb stuff that's the problem. It's the 90% of dumbasses that make it news that are the problem.

In summary. This thread is stupid

mstatefan91
02-23-2019, 04:28 PM
That’s their right and I certainly understand why they are doing it. The optics look weird. They’re protesting the confederate rally by kneeling in front of the symbol that represents the union but they likely didn’t think that much about it.

Where it looks bad is that Kermit all but promised that his team would stand for the flag and anthem today. His players obviously disagreed.

msstate7
02-23-2019, 04:29 PM
The klan has a right to their free speech. The om players have a right to theirs. And so do the ones that disagree with both of them.

AROB44
02-23-2019, 04:41 PM
Or here is an idea.

The vast majority of people in this country have nothing to do with the Confederacy and also don't act unusual around the national anthem.

There will ALWAYS be small groups of people that go against the norm. That seek attention. They are just plain stupid.

So what? Who cares. It's not the .0001% of humans doing dumb stuff that's the problem. It's the 90% of dumbasses that make it news that are the problem.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to deadheaddawg again.

Jack Lambert
02-23-2019, 04:45 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/NealMcCready/status/1099405467762200577

And here we go...

Maybe they bent over because they saw Yancy walking their way.

dalmuti
02-23-2019, 05:10 PM
it's good that they kneeled

BorneDawg
02-23-2019, 05:14 PM
PLEASE NO with us going Nike! That would mean going back to the horrible MSJ logo!!!!!

msbulldog
02-23-2019, 05:50 PM
No. At the risk of blown out idiot fans. I would love to see the melts from grown men if we were to change to Nike.

Also Nike is very well run. They played all of this perfectly. The idiots who called for boycotts were made to look like fools

It was all great entertainment

Yep just like paying Colin Kapernik big bucks, 17 Nike!

msbulldog
02-23-2019, 05:52 PM
Or here is an idea.

You smell like TSUN $hit,

BeardoMSU
02-23-2019, 05:57 PM

I guess you're going to take it upon yourself to ensure this thread goes to "DEFCON-Shit-Show"? How brave of you....

msbulldog
02-23-2019, 06:01 PM
I guess you're going to take it upon yourself to ensure this thread goes to "DEFCON-Shit-Show"? How brave of you....

You gotta do, what you gotta do Beardo! Rep given!

Irondawg
02-23-2019, 06:03 PM
There was also a "social justice" rally the day before asking for removal of a confederate statue. That's what makes America great - both sides can march and say what they want. 95% of the population doesn't pay attention to either of them.

But I agree protesting that during the anthem just shows lack of awareness. They took a lazy way out b/c they didn't have a better idea.

Dolphus Raymond
02-23-2019, 06:14 PM
The Klan was marching in Oxford today so, as far as some players kneeling in protest, I support their decision to do so 100%. If I would have been their, I would have knelt, too.
"Some things you must always be unable to bear. Some things you must never stop refusing to bear. Injustice and outrage and dishonor and shame. No matter how young you are or how old you have got. Not for Kudos or cash; your picture in the paper nor money in the bank, either. Just refuse to bear them."
William Faulkner
"Intruder in the Dust"

deadheaddawg
02-23-2019, 06:22 PM

You are not smart enough for me to give a $hit about what you think.

If my point wasn't clear enough, there will always be a small percentage of really stupid people like you. The problem with this country is too many people care what stupid people like you think or say

I dont

It says so much about your mental ability that you think I'm an ole miss fan because I said the basketball players are stupid for kneeling and the Confederate people are stupid too.

If anything I feel sorry for you. It's unfortunate that you lack the intelligence to understand simple things. It probably isn't your fault. You were just born a dumbass

msbulldog
02-23-2019, 06:28 PM
Yep, you're a genius,

Quaoarsking
02-23-2019, 06:35 PM
They should have knelt for the alma mater. If Mississippi State ever allowed a neo-confederate rally on campus, I would kneel the next time I heard ours.

Spectre
02-23-2019, 07:12 PM
They should have knelt for the alma mater. If Mississippi State ever allowed a neo-confederate rally on campus, I would kneel the next time I heard ours.

It’s a far stretch and getting close to a blood libel for people who’s ancestors died fighting and wishing to protect their memory to be labeled “klan”’and a hate group. Just doing a quick google shows it wasn’t “the klan” but people in the mainstream of American opinion that doesn’t want to see these monuments torn down... mostly because we know Washington, Jefferson, John Wayne, Reagan, and others that “look like me” are next.

Lock it, move it to poli board, whatever. I’m in the majority and not going to cuck to score points against tsun.

StarkvilleGuru
02-23-2019, 07:13 PM
I was at a bar in Oxford when this happened... Loud boos from the hometown fans (at the bar). This seemed to be a great way for Ole Miss to garner some headlines in an otherwise boring weekend of basketball in Oxford. It worked though--ESPN has a full story on its homepage. We also saw the "protests" as they marched from the Square to the campus. More people showing up with the counterprotest. Regardless, Ole Miss has confederates buried on campus but the players don't kneel every game because of it.

msstate7
02-23-2019, 07:16 PM
The players did it bc they were mad at the university for not stopping the klan rally. Do they realize the anthem is for the USA, not OM? We're so mad at ole miss that we're gonna disrespect the USA.

Quaoarsking
02-23-2019, 07:19 PM
It’s a far stretch and getting close to a blood libel for people who’s ancestors died fighting and wishing to protect their memory to be labeled “klan”’and a hate group. Just doing a quick google shows it wasn’t “the klan” but people in the mainstream of American opinion that doesn’t want to see these monuments torn down... mostly because we know Washington, Jefferson, John Wayne, Reagan, and others that “look like me” are next.

Lock it, move it to poli board, whatever. I’m in the majority and not going to cuck to score points against tsun.

My ancestor died fighting to preserve slavery for the Confederacy too. He's burning in Hell right now where he belongs.

And nobody outside the Deep South opposes taking down the participation trophy monuments (that were erected in the early 20th century to intimidate blacks, not to memorialize war dead) to traitors, so I don't know why you have some delusion that you're in the majority.

Spectre
02-23-2019, 07:22 PM
My ancestor died fighting to preserve slavery for the Confederacy too. He's burning in Hell right now where he belongs.

Cool story.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/21/polls-shows-majority-of-americans-think-confederate-statues-should-remain

Quaoarsking
02-23-2019, 07:25 PM
Cool story.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/21/polls-shows-majority-of-americans-think-confederate-statues-should-remain

You can word a poll question to get any result you want. Talk to a Trump-supporting Republican from the North and they'll tell you they're creeped out by all the Confederate nostalgia in the South.

BeardoMSU
02-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Cool story.

They can remain....in museums, where they belong, and where they can have the proper context required.

msstate7
02-23-2019, 07:31 PM
They can remain....in museums, where they belong, and where they can have the proper context required.

I just don't want people destroying/vandalizing them. I can live with them where they are or in museums.

Quaoarsking
02-23-2019, 07:33 PM
I just don't want people destroying/vandalizing them. I can live with them where they are or in museums.

You might think differently if you were the intended target of intimidation by the people who put up the statue.

Imagine if someone put up a statue of Nero to intimidate all the Christians in an area. Would you just shrug it off and say "oh, well it's been up since the 1930s, so I don't want anyone to destroy it" ?

msstate7
02-23-2019, 07:38 PM
You might think differently if you were the intended target of intimidation by the people who put up the statue.

Imagine if someone put up a statue of Nero to intimidate all the Christians in an area. Would you just shrug it off and say "oh, well it's been up since the 1930s, so I don't want anyone to destroy it" ?

I just don't see it that way. I've been to Jackson square a 100 times, and I have yet to see that statue scare minorities. If they're offended by it, fine, move it. Don't take a hammer to it though

Spectre
02-23-2019, 07:45 PM
I just don't see it that way. I've been to Jackson square a 100 times, and I have yet to see that statue scare minorities. If they're offended by it, fine, move it. Don't take a hammer to it though

Oh my sweet summer child.. you know not your enemy. Get ready for any white man pre 1990 to quickly be targeted and destroyed.

Quaoarsking
02-23-2019, 07:50 PM
Oh my sweet summer child.. you know not your enemy. Get ready for any white man pre 1990 to quickly be targeted and destroyed.

https://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq8/aviastos/Emoticons/whatever.gif https://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq8/aviastos/Emoticons/whatever.gif https://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq8/aviastos/Emoticons/whatever.gif https://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq8/aviastos/Emoticons/whatever.gif https://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq8/aviastos/Emoticons/whatever.gif https://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq8/aviastos/Emoticons/whatever.gif

I think the key difference in your side and mine is that we don't view y'all as enemies, just as people that we're sure we can convince with one more well-put argument.

Liverpooldawg
02-23-2019, 07:50 PM

You aren't in the majority......thank goodness.

BeardoMSU
02-23-2019, 07:53 PM

There are museums all over the world, housing artifacts belonging to Nazi Germany, Attila the Hun, Nero, Saladin, Mao, Stalin, et al.....

Quaoarsking
02-23-2019, 07:55 PM

After some quick research, I'd probably focus on other statues over the one in Jackson Square. That statue was put up in the 1850s to honor the hero of the Battle of New Orleans. The statue's purpose had nothing to do with intimidating blacks, while most Confederate statues (also worth noting that Jackson died in 1845) were explicitly put up in the 20th century for that reason.

I think I would be OK with mentioning how terrible it was that he owned slaves on a plaque that also explains why the people of New Orleans wanted to honor him in 1850s, and letting the statue stay where it is. This would of course be part of a compromise that takes down all of the ones erected for nefarious purposes, and I reserve the right to change my opinion on this, since I have never spoken to any locals about it.

msstate7
02-23-2019, 07:58 PM

Educate me, my fabulous winter advisor**

Really though, I'm out this thread

deadheaddawg
02-23-2019, 08:01 PM

lol

ScoobaDawg
02-23-2019, 08:04 PM
And.. this has run it's course. wanna keep talking about rights to kneel. take it to the political forum

RougeDawg
02-24-2019, 02:08 AM
To stop. The groups on campus do nothing but create division and show sheer stupidity.

Yes we all like to jab at OM for their connections to their unwillingness to do the things, some think they should. But groups protesting on campus with ignorance that?s an entirely different level. Although there is freedom to express their ignorance it does not make it correct.

It?s time for OM to nip this bullshit in the tree. Cut all ties and stop disgracing out great state by the historical ties. You have to mitigate these things

One thing about this nations and the freedoms we are allowed, it doesn?t prevent people/groups from being as ignorant as the clowns who were in Oxford this week.

Come one people. We all will disagree at some point. Even with our closest of family. At the end of the day we need everyone pulling in one direction.

ScoobaDawg
02-24-2019, 02:19 AM
If you want it fixed. Take it to the UM boards. Stop calling them by their racist nickname too. Coming on here and posting about it isn't going to change a damn thing, we all know how hateful and racist that group was today.