9/25/1965- No. 8 Florida...18-13...Gainesville

11/01/1980-No. 1 Alabama...6-3...Jackson

11/13/1982- No. 6 LSU...27-24...Starkville

11/17/1984- No. 9 LSU...16-14....Starkville

9/13/1986-No. 8 Tennessee....27-23....Knoxville

11/16/1996- No. 8 Alabama...17-16....Starkville

11/21/1998- No. 9 Arkansas....22-21...Starkville

9/30/2000- No. 3 Florida....47-35....Starkville

That is who we are- and what we have to build on. Those are our "signature wins" in the last 50 years. It's tough to do. It takes more than saying "we should" do this or that. So when I say any win over Georgia or Florida is a good win for our school- it's because I havent seen many. Hell, I've only seen us beat Georgia once in my lifetime. You dont really start to appreciate these types of things until you start getting older.

I dont know if Mullen is the ultimate answer. I know that we are solid right now under him. 3 straight bowls, recruiting has improved the last couple of years, we have a young team this year with only 5 Sr's starting. But you have to be careful about knowing when to cut ties with a coach. Had we fired Jackie when he had his 2nd losing season in year 5- we wouldnt have experienced running out of that tunnel in Atlanta, 1998. You have to do a real introspective look at yourself and program- and not as much of what everybody else is doing- because all schools are not created equal. People lose sight of that. We dont start at the same place every year that LSU and Bama does.

Is the offense better than it was last season? Right now, every metric says yes we are.
Are we better on defense than last year? Right now, the stats say we are.

So I think there is still alot left to watch and focus on in the 2nd half of this season. Mullen has earned that. You cant fire a coach at State that is 6-6 or better. Until we dont make that, I think that discussion is futile. If we finish 5-7, then absolutely the talk can begin and start the introspective on the program.

cheewgumm
10-20-2013, 11:48 AM
If this is true, which it probably is , and it is better for us to schedule 4 patsies...then we are looking(and should be happy with) beating 4 patsies, KEntucky, Vandy, and find one more.

And I'm jsut asking this, not to re-hash it, but why did you have a problem wiht Stansbury?

HoopsDawg
10-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Good post. This whole signature win thing is really not even on my radar. We haven't beaten a BCS team that finished with a winning record since Michigan in the Gator Bowl. I'm not really concerned about beating Bama or LSU. I want to see us beat a decent this year. Not Arkansas, not UK, but an OM, USCe, or an A&M. FORGET SIGNATURE WIN, I WANT TO SEE A GOOD WIN.

Political Hack
10-20-2013, 11:51 AM
If we're consistently better than OM, that's solid enough to shoot for the stars every few years. is be happy with that.

justinrsutton
10-20-2013, 11:58 AM
I didn't realize that MSU had so few wins over top-10 wins in program history until I researched it last night.
I think it puts the historic place of the MSU program in perspective, and I think it gives insight to the challenge facing Dan Mullen or any other coach.
It will take time to build up MSU, but there is no reason it can't start to happen in the near future. A history of not being very good does not have to condemn MSU forever.

thf24
10-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Another factor in upset-type signature wins in my opinion is that you've got to have some lucky breaks to have a chance at beating these elite teams, and that just never seems to happen for us. If LSU had come out completely flat and Mettenberger had thrown three picks in the first half against us, we could have easily won too. Instead, whenever Bama, LSU, or any other top 10 team comes to town, they always come out firing on all cylinders ready to take care of business. I don't know if it's a compliment or an insult that the big guys are always up for us.

maroonmania
10-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Kind of a pointless post in my view. No program that hasn't been a perennial Top 20 program, and we certainly haven't been, has a bunch of wins over Top 10 ranked teams at the time played (if that is the definition of a "signature" win). Heck, OM doesn't have many of those either in modern history. Of course right now I would be elated to get some wins over the 10-30 range teams but we are getting many of those either. Obviously haven't beaten a team ranked at all since 2010.

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Another factor in upset-type signature wins in my opinion is that you've got to have some lucky breaks to have a chance at beating these elite teams, and that just never seems to happen for us. If LSU had come out completely flat and Mettenberger had thrown three picks in the first half against us, we could have easily won too. Instead, whenever Bama, LSU, or any other top 10 team comes to town, they always come out firing on all cylinders ready to take care of business. I don't know if it's a compliment or an insult that the big guys are always up for us.

I agree with this. After all, OM did only score 1 more point against LSU than we did. OM had a good defensive game plan, and Met played awful.

justinrsutton
10-20-2013, 12:20 PM
As a point of reference, Ole Miss has five since the last one by MSU. Those wins are not all that matter, but they help when trying to build a program.
That said, winning over any ranked team would be nice right now.

Coach34
10-20-2013, 12:21 PM
And I'm jsut asking this, not to re-hash it, but why did you have a problem wiht Stansbury?

Our basketball history and baseball history are far better than football. We won 6 SEC titles in basketball since we have won one in football. In basketball, you can make a run and be one of the best 16 teams in the country with just 3-4 good players and some role players.

But aside from coaching, my biggest problem with Stands was his lack of discipline and and weight training. Our players didnt pay the price in the weightroom to build toughness or to become better athletes. We had different rules for different players. Things were ok when we had a good group of character types like we did from 2002-2005- but you see the problems that the lack of discipline created once we had questionable character. You wont ever win big without putting in hardwork and having some discipline in your program.

SignalToNoise
10-20-2013, 12:53 PM
If we finish 5-7, then absolutely the talk can begin and start the introspective on the program.

This is pretty much where I stand, only I've resigned to the idea that we are gong 4-8 or 5-7, and as such I consider the talk to have already started.

Dawg4Life
10-20-2013, 01:01 PM
I dont know if Mullen is the ultimate answer. I know that we are solid right now under him. 3 straight bowls, recruiting has improved the last couple of years, we have a young team this year with only 5 Sr's starting. But you have to be careful about knowing when to cut ties with a coach. Had we fired Jackie when he had his 2nd losing season in year 5- we wouldnt have experienced running out of that tunnel in Atlanta, 1998. You have to do a real introspective look at yourself and program- and not as much of what everybody else is doing- because all schools are not created equal. People lose sight of that. We dont start at the same place every year that LSU and Bama does.

Is the offense better than it was last season? Right now, every metric says yes we are.
Are we better on defense than last year? Right now, the stats say we are.

So I think there is still alot left to watch and focus on in the 2nd half of this season. Mullen has earned that. You cant fire a coach at State that is 6-6 or better. Until we dont make that, I think that discussion is futile. If we finish 5-7, then absolutely the talk can begin and start the introspective on the program.

First post here. Coach, that is a great post. Especially the part about "You have to do a real introspective look at yourself and program." As I get older, it becomes more obvious that winning football games begins with a successful mental approach. We see this all the time with first year coach improvements (Sherrill, Mullen, Nutt, Freeze, etc.). The emotional/mental bump in the program leads directly to playing better, faster, stronger. As time moves on, the plateau occurs in almost every program (see Sherrill and Nutt).

What OM did last night, especially given the injuries, was an example of that emotional/mental bump. There was absolutely no reason for OM to be in that game before it started. Sure Mettenberger helped the cause, but the overall effort, execution, and determination was surely on the side of OM. Generally fans are arrogant in their assessment of "talent" and tend to analyze every move on their perception of said talent. Look, OM with six defensive starters out were not more talented than LSU. OM under Freeze plays every team tooth and nail, just like Mullen's first two years at MSU.

What happens when the bump goes stale and you start seeing a decrease in competitiveness and/or wins? Do you pull the plug and stop the bleeding before it gets out of hand (see MSU 2002-2008, OM 2010-2011)? Or as you pointed out, do you stick with it (see MSU 1997-2000, VA Tech mid 90's) and have faith that it will get better? We all saw what was happening in 2001 and it wasn't pretty. Same for Nutt during the 2009 year. Yes they won against a pretty weak schedule but you could see the wind completely out of the sails on that program.

I won't pretend to have the answer(s). I believe our situation now is more confusing because (1) Freeze is recruiting his ass off (2) OM appears to be on the rise (3) lots of fans want Hud hired and (4) there are people who feel Mullen's personality isn't one that can last at MSU for the long haul (which many feel is directly related to lack of recruiting). Jackie didn't have those factors in the 90's. I will add that we as fans have seen this scenario before and are very sensitive (history doomed to repeat itself, etc.). We will have a better perspective at the end of the season but for now we are left to scratch our head.

Coach34
10-20-2013, 01:05 PM
really good 1st post

CadaverDawg
10-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Good post. This whole signature win thing is really not even on my radar. We haven't beaten a BCS team that finished with a winning record since Michigan in the Gator Bowl. I'm not really concerned about beating Bama or LSU. I want to see us beat a decent this year. Not Arkansas, not UK, but an OM, USCe, or an A&M. FORGET SIGNATURE WIN, I WANT TO SEE A GOOD WIN.

Exactly.

Political Hack
10-20-2013, 01:14 PM
First post here. Coach, that is a great post. Especially the part about "You have to do a real introspective look at yourself and program." As I get older, it becomes more obvious that winning football games begins with a successful mental approach. We see this all the time with first year coach improvements (Sherrill, Mullen, Nutt, Freeze, etc.). The emotional/mental bump in the program leads directly to playing better, faster, stronger. As time moves on, the plateau occurs in almost every program (see Sherrill and Nutt).

What OM did last night, especially given the injuries, was an example of that emotional/mental bump. There was absolutely no reason for OM to be in that game before it started. Sure Mettenberger helped the cause, but the overall effort, execution, and determination was surely on the side of OM. Generally fans are arrogant in their assessment of "talent" and tend to analyze every move on their perception of said talent. Look, OM with six defensive starters out were not more talented than LSU. OM under Freeze plays every team tooth and nail, just like Mullen's first two years at MSU.

What happens when the bump goes stale and you start seeing a decrease in competitiveness and/or wins? Do you pull the plug and stop the bleeding before it gets out of hand (see MSU 2002-2008, OM 2010-2011)? Or as you pointed out, do you stick with it (see MSU 1997-2000, VA Tech mid 90's) and have faith that it will get better? We all saw what was happening in 2001 and it wasn't pretty. Same for Nutt during the 2009 year. Yes they won against a pretty weak schedule but you could see the wind completely out of the sails on that program.

I won't pretend to have the answer(s). I believe our situation now is more confusing because (1) Freeze is recruiting his ass off (2) OM appears to be on the rise (3) lots of fans want Hud hired and (4) there are people who feel Mullen's personality isn't one that can last at MSU for the long haul (which many feel is directly related to lack of recruiting). Jackie didn't have those factors in the 90's. I will add that we as fans have seen this scenario before and are very sensitive (history doomed to repeat itself, etc.). We will have a better perspective at the end of the season but for now we are left to scratch our head.

post more often.

CadaverDawg
10-20-2013, 01:14 PM
This is pretty much where I stand, only I've resigned to the idea that we are gong 4-8 or 5-7, and as such I consider the talk to have already started.

I agree. You aren't the only one.

starkvegasdawg
10-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Instead, whenever Bama, LSU, or any other top 10 team comes to town, they always come out firing on all cylinders ready to take care of business. I don't know if it's a compliment or an insult that the big guys are always up for us.
Just to play devil's advocate. Do those elite teams come out firing on all cylinders against us or do we just make them look that way?

SignalToNoise
10-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Strong post, Dawg4Life.

Scratching our head is a good way to put it. There appear to be two camps forming- those who have made up their minds we will be sub .500 and have decided to start the coaching-change talk, and those that believe Mullen will find a way to get us to 6-6 and bowl eligible.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Just to play devil's advocate. Do those elite teams come out firing on all cylinders against us or do we just make them look that way?
I've wondered this myself.

thf24
10-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Even if we make them look that way, if they're dominating, they're at least playing solidly, which in the case of an elite powerhouse with perennial top ten recruiting classes is still very hard to overcome. I can't remember the last time a top ten team actually showed up flat and played poorly unforced against us, like LSU did against OM last night. Maybe LSU in 2009, but if memory serves, they weren't that good that year.

MarketingBully01
10-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Then hold your bitching to the end of the year. We still have games to play against those guys and as I said several times before we will beat Ole Miss in Starkville to make it 4 out of 5. They haven't won in Starkville since those freshmen were 8.

smootness
10-20-2013, 01:55 PM
As a point of reference, Ole Miss has five since the last one by MSU. Those wins are not all that matter, but they help when trying to build a program.

Well, it hasn't helped them a whole lot.

bluelightstar
10-20-2013, 01:58 PM
I find it extremely curious that people say "history doesn't matter" when talking about State going to Arkansas this year, and in the same breath explain that we'll beat Ole Miss because they never win in Starkville.

Cognitive dissonance...

Coach 57
10-20-2013, 02:58 PM
But guys they are built schematically to beat a pocket passer QB lead defense. Last time I checked, Mett, Bama's, Arky's & Tyler aren't going to make guys miss or win a foot race Vs an OLB. If you look at the offenses that have given them trouble they are dual threat guys. Dak is the perfect combo to give their D fits. Calm down.

Coach 57
10-20-2013, 03:01 PM
I find it extremely curious that people say "history doesn't matter" when talking about State going to Arkansas this year, and in the same breath explain that we'll beat Ole Miss because they never win in Starkville.

Cognitive dissonance...

Arky is the worst team in the west. We are equal with Auburn talent wise. But honestly are behind UM in talent. But so isn't Auburn. But Auburn out schemed them.

bluelightstar
10-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Arky is the worst team in the west. We are equal with Auburn talent wise. But honestly are behind UM in talent. But so isn't Auburn. But Auburn out schemed them.

I don't see any particularly good reason to think that we will outscheme anyone.

Coach 57
10-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Good grief somebody get this guy a Zanac.

bluelightstar
10-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Good grief somebody get this guy a Zanac.

Oh don't get me wrong. I fully expect to beat Arkansas and Kentucky.

justinrsutton
10-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Well, it hasn't helped them a whole lot.

If you could have either Ole Miss's or MSU's 2001-2013, which would you take? Ole Miss looks like they could start laying a foundation for a future run this year.

Political Hack
10-20-2013, 04:06 PM

OM's 18 year olds may be better than our 18 year olds, it I'll take our upperclassmen over them in a heartbeat.

Coach34
10-20-2013, 05:03 PM
If you could have either Ole Miss's or MSU's 2001-2013, which would you take? Ole Miss looks like they could start laying a foundation for a future run this year.

a future run at what?

They lose 3 Sr's on the OL and Logan at WR- maybe Moncrief also...that would be 5 starters lost on offense
P and K are Sr's
Defensively those 3- Whigham, Marry, and Sawyer

So of their 24 starters, they have 9 Sr's and Moncrief...and they have alot of Jr starters- so that means 2014 is the year for them. They will lose some very integral parts of their team after 2014.

In 2014, they play Bama, Auburn, State, and Tennessee at home...A&M, LSU, Vandy, and UPig on the road.

It takes 7-1 at worst to win the West these days- so they have to win 2/3 out of Bama, @A&M, and @LSU. Not to mention Auburn being better. And while the Egg Bowl is tough to win on the road- we will be returning 16 starters.

Raytoraid83
10-20-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm not as old as some guys on this board, but it's pretty obvious throughout history that both Miss St and Ole Miss rotate talent wise every 3-5 years. Most of that is because of recruiting in mississippi and now the fact that the SEC is so talented. Does that mean that we are destined for the cellar in the next couple of years? Obviously not but we need to be careful of the moves we make in the future because it's very easy to fall behind quickly. Hopefully both Mullen and Stricklin realize we need to do something to gain some momentum and passion back in our program.

SignalToNoise
10-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Sorry, Coach, but being as rational as possible I haven't seen much out our staff to make me think we can out anything a team. We have been seeing the same boneheaded use of personnel and other mind-boggling decisions long enough to know better.

Dawg4Life
10-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Strong post, Dawg4Life.

Scratching our head is a good way to put it. There appear to be two camps forming- those who have made up their minds we will be sub .500 and have decided to start the coaching-change talk, and those that believe Mullen will find a way to get us to 6-6 and bowl eligible.

Thanks to all for the kind words. I agree that two camps are forming. I've even had some friendly disagreements with some MSU compadres lately when analyzing the question of when/if you pull the trigger. Most people want to have an instant answer to an emotionally charged subject that is riddled with subjective factors. As Coach34 stated, we have to self-analyze based on current factors and not blanket decisions because of past failures. That is very difficult to do as I previously pointed out in large part because we have seen this before (the plateau, non-competitiveness, losses, etc.). The knee jerk reaction is to say "fire coach X." That would be futile in many occasions. Would it be futile here at MSU in 2013? I just don't know.

The ultimate questions is: Can Mullen and his staff get the ship back on track?

Jackie's situation between 1995-1996 was a bit different from the the 2001-2003 collapse in my opinion. The 1995 team was a bit of a mystery to me with Moulds and W. Harris leading the charge but many good players were lost from 1994. I blame those key personnel losses as the biggest reason for that year. But by 1996, with K. Magee and the gang, were on track to win games and then Keifer went down. The 1997 class was the No. 1 Juco recruiting class in the country which led to a 7-4 record (I still have nightmares of the 2 point conversion Egg Bowl loss). We all know what happened after that. My point is that I never felt that JWS "lost" the team in 1995-1996 or that their were internal problems between coaches, players, etc. We simply had some attrition, bad luck with injuries, and needed an upgrade in talent. MSU recruiting took on a major overhaul beginning in February 1997 and it showed in the next few years. (Recall the '98 class had Pig, C. Stephens, D. Miller, etc.)

What happened in 2001-2003 was as shocking as anything I've seen in sports. We have debated the cause of the collapse for years but it is painfully obvious that it wasn't "just" the talent. The program completely fell apart at the seams. Folks, THAT is what you have to avoid. A program can stand a small fall but not an 'oh shit my parachute didn't open' nose-dive. So the point of all of this is that each situation is different and the answer to the 'why' the team is struggling is the ultimate answer for an AD at any University.

I am not on the inside of the program. I can't answer it. I have my gut feelings, but that is worthless. I believe by the Friday after the Egg Bowl we will know whether we are looking at at 1995-1996 situation or if we are looking at a 2001-2003 situation. Time will tell...

justinrsutton
10-20-2013, 08:33 PM
a future run at what?

They lose 3 Sr's on the OL and Logan at WR- maybe Moncrief also...that would be 5 starters lost on offense
P and K are Sr's
Defensively those 3- Whigham, Marry, and Sawyer

So of their 24 starters, they have 9 Sr's and Moncrief...and they have alot of Jr starters- so that means 2014 is the year for them. They will lose some very integral parts of their team after 2014.

In 2014, they play Bama, Auburn, State, and Tennessee at home...A&M, LSU, Vandy, and UPig on the road.

It takes 7-1 at worst to win the West these days- so they have to win 2/3 out of Bama, @A&M, and @LSU. Not to mention Auburn being better. And while the Egg Bowl is tough to win on the road- we will be returning 16 starters.

But after 2014, they should be getting solid production out of their 2013 signing class, and should they continue to recruit well, they could bring in more solid talent. Will it be easy for them to accomplish? No, but they could be setting up to be a solid, nationally ranked program for the next few years.

AROB44
10-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Well, count me as one of the older ones. I understand the emotional responses on a weekly basis, but for me the highs aren't quite as high as in the past and the lows aren't as low either. As to what we should do re Mullen, I would hope that at the end of the year that a calm and rational decision will be made as to the future. That, as you know, is really the best way to make an important decision. Now, as to whether our current AD is up to the task, I have no idea. I do have my gut feeling, but that isn't worth much. I haven't given up on Mullen yet.....probably because I am older and really don't want to start over again.

Political Hack
10-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks to all for the kind words. I agree that two camps are forming. I've even had some friendly disagreements with some MSU compadres lately when analyzing the question of when/if you pull the trigger. Most people want to have an instant answer to an emotionally charged subject that is riddled with subjective factors. As Coach34 stated, we have to self-analyze based on current factors and not blanket decisions because of past failures. That is very difficult to do as I previously pointed out in large part because we have seen this before (the plateau, non-competitiveness, losses, etc.). The knee jerk reaction is to say "fire coach X." That would be futile in many occasions. Would it be futile here at MSU in 2013? I just don't know.

Jackie's situation between 1995-1996 was a bit different from the the 2001-2003 collapse in my opinion. The 1995 team was a bit of a mystery to me with Moulds and W. Harris leading the charge but many good players were lost from 1994. I blame those key personnel losses as the biggest reason for that year. But by 1996, with K. Magee and the gang, were on track to win games and then Keifer went down. The 1997 class was the No. 1 Juco recruiting class in the country which led to a 7-4 record (I still have nightmares of the 2 point conversion Egg Bowl loss). We all know what happened after that. My point is that I never felt that JWS "lost" the team in 1995-1996 or that their were internal problems between coaches, players, etc. We simply had some attrition, bad luck with injuries, and needed an upgrade in talent. MSU recruiting took on a major overhaul beginning in February 1997 and it showed in the next few years. (Recall the '98 class had Pig, C. Stephens, D. Miller, etc.)

What happened in 2001-2003 was as shocking as anything I've seen in sports. We have debated the cause of the collapse for years but it is painfully obvious that it wasn't "just" the talent. The program completely fell apart at the seams. Folks, THAT is what you have to avoid. A program can stand a small fall but not an 'oh shit my parachute didn't open' nose-dive. So the point of all of this is that each situation is different and the answer to the 'why' the team is struggling is the ultimate answer for an AD at any University.

I am not on the inside of the program. I can't answer it. I have my gut feelings, but that is worthless. I believe by the Friday after the Egg Bowl we will know whether we are looking at at 1995-1996 situation or if we are looking at a 2001-2003 situation. Time will tell...

it's just my personal opinion, but I think Jackies wife getting sick was the main reason the program tanked during the time. I know if my wife was battling for her life I wouldn't be very focused on running an SEC program outside of gameday. The inmates would be running the joint.

Political Hack
10-21-2013, 07:56 AM

it's just my personal opinion, but I think Jackies wife getting sick was the main reason the program tanked during the time. I know if my wife was battling for her life I wouldn't be very focused on running an SEC program outside of gameday. The inmates would be running the joint.

MadDawg
10-21-2013, 08:31 AM

Agree with this

Bubb Rubb
10-21-2013, 08:52 AM

I think this is most of it. Jackie sure did seem to lose his fire, and we all know he was going through some tremendous personal issues at the time. I also think the constant barrage from the north wore him down too. He had the fire to fight it up until the end. He finally came to the realization that there were more important things to worry about.

FFF
10-21-2013, 10:09 AM

We had our chances in the first half to greatly expand the lead against lsu and failed (began on the first drive with a facemask called that allowed the to score a td... And regardless of whether or not you feel it was a ticky tack call, the defenders hand should have been nowhere near his face). Not doing anything with an interception and going 3 and out on a key drive late in the first half spotted them another 7 points. Not to mention the defensive brain farts that allowed them 2 40+ yard td runs.

Point is, a couple of mental mistakes cost us 21-24 points. You can attribute those to our loss well before you could leaving beckham wide open.